4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeky_backheel

Lukaku is a limited player and is only justified to be on the pitch if he is scoring. When not scoring, he becomes a liability.

Thus, once we committed to him as a CF, then we needed to build a team that feeds him often enough and we havent done that.

Our attackers (martial, rashford, sanchez and even lingard) are score first assist second. We need assist first players (like Ericsson, Hazard, willian etc) to maximize the value of lukaku. Mata is the only one that offers that in the final 3rd.

Foxbatt

It is difficult to create for Lukaku because his movements off the ball are terrible. If you just stand there and point to your feet is not enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't like Scholes as pundit( i loved him as a player) but he is spot on about Lukaku. He is not Kane or Rooney or Zlatan. He must stop coming deep and playing with the ball like he is no10. He must stay in the box. And he will score goals then. Player who scored that much goals can't be bad finisher like some people are saying. Just stay there and wait for the ball.
If Jose finds courage and starts playing with Alexis and Martial on the wings and Mata on no10, Lukaku will start scoring. But Jose will not do that...

Foxbatt

I don't like Scholes as pundit( i loved him as a player) but he is spot on about Lukaku. He is not Kane or Rooney or Zlatan. He must stop coming deep and playing with the ball like he is no10. He must stay in the box. And he will score goals then. Player who scored that much goals can't be bad finisher like some people are saying. Just stay there and wait for the ball.
If Jose finds courage and starts playing with Alexis and Martial on the wings and Mata on no10, Lukaku will start scoring. But Jose will not do that...
Jose would be stupid to do that against most teams. It means playing with Mata and just two midfield players. We will get overrun in the midfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Jose would be stupid to do that against most teams. It means playing with Mata and just two midfield players. We will get overrun in the midfield.
But you would have 5 players strong on the ball. Against top teams just replace Mata with Herrera on holding midfielder. Look at City. They play with Silva and De bruyne on mc.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You should try using two pictures from the same angle. T
That's not gonna wash, buddy.
I've seen plenty of different pictures and it is totally evident that he has added some serious amounts of weight.
I've also noticed that after about 10 minutes, he is huffing and puffing, quite seriously.

James Peril

Fans are really scapegoating him now. It’s pathetic.
United is a billion dollar business with hundreds of millions of fans, caring daily about the club. It is not scapegoating to call out a big fraud that isn’t good enough to play in the most important position on the pitch. When I see PSG, City, Barca, even Liverpool and Napoli, I get so sad when I see Lukaku leading our attack.

Foxbatt

But you would have 5 players strong on the ball. Against top teams just replace Mata with Herrera on holding midfielder. Look at City. They play with Silva and De bruyne on mc.
Silva and KDB are much better players than anyone we have. Maybe Pogba on his day can play at that level. He normally does not play at that level. Plus their defence is stronger than ours and their attack is much stronger than ours. We need different set of players to play with two midfield players. Anyway we have tried this two man midfield and it never worked with Pogba.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Silva and KDB are much better players than anyone we have. Maybe Pogba on his day can play at that level. He normally does not play at that level. Plus their defence is stronger than ours and their attack is much stronger than ours. We need different set of players to play with two midfield players. Anyway we have tried this two man midfield and it never worked with Pogba.
City also possess the ball and move it much more effectively than we do. We could play with his suggested midfield if we looked to be dominant with the ball and press higher up the pitch. But playing with 2 midfielders while trying to sit back in defense is suicide.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's not gonna wash, buddy.
I've seen plenty of different pictures and it is totally evident that he has added some serious amounts of weight.
I've also noticed that after about 10 minutes, he is huffing and puffing, quite seriously.
I’m not disputing the fact he’s gained weight, I’m disputing those photos being good evidence of it.

finneh

I'd take that in a heartbeat, My estimate is that he's on 200k a week which will significantly reduce the fee we'll get.
Agreed. However he still has the "Premier League proven" tag, is still in his mid 20's and will be seen by a lot to be a 25 goal a season striker.

He's the kind of huge financial gamble that crap managers make every season (the same managers that are often unemployed 12 months later).

Agreed. However he still has the "Premier League proven" tag, is still in his mid 20's and will be seen by a lot to be a 25 goal a season striker.

He's the kind of huge financial gamble that crap managers make every season (the same managers that are often unemployed 12 months later).
Lukuku is interesting. I think we all knew he wasn’t a top class player when we bought him, but he should be better than he is. But there really wasn’t much to choose from in the transfer market, and we desperately needed a striker.

We need to replace him - but that in itself will be difficult. We will be able to get £40-50m for him, but yes wages will be an issue and I expect the player won’t want to leave either - because he’s not going to go to a top club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They even complained about him.
West Brom was his level.
That's rubbish TBH, he showed last year that he is MUCH better than his current form.

I have no idea what's happened to him recently, I assume he's burnt out from the world cup and stupidly we rushed him back.

He looks heavy and has much less energy compared to last year that's for sure.

The fact is though he's got a decent level at every club he's played for, he's Belgiums record scorer. I don't think Jose has done him any favours playing him non stop.

Kapardin

That's rubbish TBH, he showed last year that he is MUCH better than his current form.

I have no idea what's happened to him recently, I assume he's burnt out from the world cup and stupidly we rushed him back.

The fact is though he's got a decent level at every club he's played for, he's Belgiums record scorer. I don't think Jose has done him any favours playing him non stop.
Only in patches. Every average player has some purple patch where he looks world class or thereabouts. Lingard, Herrera etc.

Lukaku will always score 20+ goals a season, but he isn't cut out for a top club as he literally has no other facet to his game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Only in patches. Every average player has some purple patch where he looks world class or thereabouts. Lingard, Herrera etc.

Lukaku will always score 20+ goals a season, but he isn't cut out for a top club as he literally has no other facet to his game.
Rooney was very streaky too, most players are. Only the rare freak's like Ronaldo/Messi do it consistently every game all year long.

This team doesn't play to Lukaku's strengths, and no surprise he's got worse the longer he plays with us. I remember when he first joined he had fantastic movement especially into the channels, now he just stands there with his back to goal. This is Mourinho teaching him how to be a target man, but it just doesn't work.

Then you look at how he scores so many goals for Everton, most of them tap ins or close range headers from crosses at the byline. When do we ever cross from that high up the pitch? It's always far too deep with a rubbish angle.

I'm not saying Lukaku is the perfect striker but people suggesting he's midtable is wrong IMO

arthurka

You really think so?
I thought he was average at best last season.
He also had a long spell where he didn´t score a single goal for us. Mind he hasn´t scored at OT for 16 hours or since March.
I think he isn´t even close to our level even though he would play like he played last season.

Mike Smalling

Scholes is just annoying. He even attempted to downplay the win against Juventus.
I agree that Scholes is annoying as a pundit, but to be fair that win against Juventus was incredibly lucky. It's not like we played any differently than we usually do and the win did not spur us on or start a run of good performances and results.

finneh

Lukuku is interesting. I think we all knew he wasn’t a top class player when we bought him, but he should be better than he is. But there really wasn’t much to choose from in the transfer market, and we desperately needed a striker.

We need to replace him - but that in itself will be difficult. We will be able to get £40-50m for him, but yes wages will be an issue and I expect the player won’t want to leave either - because he’s not going to go to a top club.
I've always been of the opinion that you're better off waiting for the right player, rather than blowing your budget on the wrong one. Do I think we'd have finished top 4 and won nothing last season with Martial or Rashford up front until Xmas and then Sanchez up front from January? Absolutely. Would we be in a much better position right now if we'd used the Lukaku money to purchase say Jorginho; and started the season with Sanchez up front? Again absolutely.

I think we've caused ourselves a ridiculous amount of problems by making him our marquee signing, merely because someone better wasn't available. Mourinho will now feel he has to play him every match, due to Lukaku being a noose around his neck. Truthfully though he'll lead to Mourinho being sacked and rightfully so - it takes real courage to acknowledge a very costly mistake early and rectify it. Courage we're not currently showing.

Johan07

Rooney was very streaky too, most players are. Only the rare freak's like Ronaldo/Messi do it consistently every game all year long.

This team doesn't play to Lukaku's strengths, and no surprise he's got worse the longer he plays with us. I remember when he first joined he had fantastic movement especially into the channels, now he just stands there with his back to goal. This is Mourinho teaching him how to be a target man, but it just doesn't work.

Then you look at how he scores so many goals for Everton, most of them tap ins or close range headers from crosses at the byline. When do we ever cross from that high up the pitch? It's always far too deep with a rubbish angle.

I'm not saying Lukaku is the perfect striker but people suggesting he's midtable is wrong IMO
I am afraid that there is a lot of truth to this...

Johan07

I've always been of the opinion that you're better off waiting for the right player, rather than blowing your budget on the wrong one. Do I think we'd have finished top 4 and won nothing last season with Martial or Rashford up front until Xmas and then Sanchez up front from January? Absolutely. Would we be in a much better position right now if we'd used the Lukaku money to purchase say Jorginho; and started the season with Sanchez up front? Again absolutely.

I think we've caused ourselves a ridiculous amount of problems by making him our marquee signing, merely because someone better wasn't available. Mourinho will now feel he has to play him every match, due to Lukaku being a noose around his neck. Truthfully though he'll lead to Mourinho being sacked and rightfully so - it takes real courage to acknowledge a very costly mistake early and rectify it. Courage we're not currently showing.
Mourinho would never play Sanchez at #9 over a longer period of time. He would also never let a player like Jorginho even close to being his #6.

finneh

Mourinho would never play Sanchez at #9 over a longer period of time. He would also never let a player like Jorginho even close to being his #6.
That's somewhat speculation. Alonso was a permanent fixture in his Madrid side so I don't see why someone like Jorginho wouldn't fit.

Likewise people would say he'd never have a side built around players like Marcelo/Maicon (too attacking), Ozil/Sneijder (too lazy), Ronaldo/Di Maria/J.Cole/Martial (don't track back).

I think it's a bit of a myth that Mourinho only likes a spine of big lumps, combined with two hard-working crossers on each side.

LoneStar

I would give him a chance under a new manager tbf to him.

Regardless of the abysmal form that he is in, he certainly is capable of much better than he's currently playing. I'm sure he would score goals under a more attacking manager.

Wether he's enough for a title winning team, or against the elite in CL is another matter (I don't think he is capable of that).

It's not like any of our players are pulling their weight under Jose. Everyone seems to be playing worse than their abilities.

James Peril

I would give him a chance under a new manager tbf to him.

Regardless of the abysmal form that he is in, he certainly is capable of much better than he's currently playing. I'm sure he would score goals under a more attacking manager.

Wether he's enough for a title winning team, or against the elite in CL is another matter (I don't think he is capable of that).

It's not like any of our players are pulling their weight under Jose. Everyone seems to be playing worse than their abilities.
Ok, but which top manager in the world will accept a striker and focal point that does not know how to control the ball properly, and will ruin promising attacks for the other players? Having a great touch and smart football head is pretty vital for a modern striker. Ironically, goals aren’t that important if the attacking unit is working great over time.

LoneStar

Ok, but which top manager in the world will accept a striker and focal point that does not know how to control the ball properly, and will ruin promising attacks for the other players? Having a great touch and smart football head is pretty vital for a modern striker. Ironically, goals aren’t that important if the attacking unit is working great over time.
Like I said, he's been in abysmal form this season. Last year, his hold up play was decent, and he was actually improving over the season. And he was nowhere near as bad as this right now.

We have far more pressing issues in the team right now. I would rather the new manager focus on that, and maybe give him a chance. He can't get worse than this.

Besides, I can't think of any good striker on the market right now. We can always play Sanchez or Rashford upfront too. Midfield and especially defence are far more pressing concerns at the moment.

Foxbatt

The problem is also Jose. He dropped Casillas but he dare not drop Ronaldo at Madrid. At United I feel he has too much power and he tries to get players like Lukaku and Matic who fits into his kind of football. That is now what is needed at United. So he would never play Sanchez regularly upfront. Lukaku is not a top club player. He is a mid table club player.

HJ12

I don't think we need to replace the guy, but rather get in another top class striker. Nothing wrong with having 2 top strikers in the squad, may even be a motivation for him to keep sharp.

OldTrevil

City also possess the ball and move it much more effectively than we do. We could play with his suggested midfield if we looked to be dominant with the ball and press higher up the pitch. But playing with 2 midfielders while trying to sit back in defense is suicide.
A midfield two of Pogba and Fred with Mata or Martial in the hole in an attacking system would be deadly thats for sure

AndyJ1985

I don't think we need to replace the guy, but rather get in another top class striker. Nothing wrong with having 2 top strikers in the squad, may even be a motivation for him to keep sharp.
Even if we were to bring in a "top striker", we'd still only have one in the team

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's clearly a better player than he's showing this season. However, such a long period of form loss is unacceptable. A few weeks, okay, but not for months. He's gotta do the business on the pitch asap.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Worth noting he looked the part at the World Cup just a few months ago.

He's a fine striker, and a better manager will get more out of him. The proof is in his record. He's not been this bad for about 5 years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Scholes is just annoying. He even attempted to downplay the win against Juventus.
He only speaks the truth like a fan. It was a fantastic result but we rode our luck. It's fine to do that every now and then, especially in a big game, but I think Scholes is as tired of us having to do it regularly as we all are.

PepsiCola

He was right in what he said though?

Had it been a higher pressure game for Juve, like a last 16 tie, they put us away easily.

We rode our luck. It happens. It's just stupid our game plan seems to be hope for the same luck every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.