Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Have to say given our needs, and the fee he was signed for, this must be one of the all time worst signings we have ever made. He doesn’t look anywhere near good enough to wear a United shirt.

I would love to eat humble pie on this one, because I was very excited about his signing. But if you aren’t going to play him in a front two, then he’s an utterly pointless player for us. He has the worst close control I have seen in a major club striker, for a long, long time. We consistently look worse when he is in the pitch.

I still think he could be effective in a front two. With someone to play off and occupy the cbs, he could score a lot of goals, and he has a natural instinct. But as a lone front man, his technical abilities are so woeful, you don’t even have to tackle him. Just apply mild pressure and watch it ricochet off about 30 yards from his shin.

OldTrevil

Never a nine for a defensive team. No matter how bulky Jose gets him he can never be a target man as his technical ability on the ball is wanting. He needs to be in an attacking team, with teammates close by to give him space to work in until the team arrives in the box, where he can finish.

I was never excited for his signing, I knew he scored a lot of goals but he never impressed me with anything else about his football outside of a few runs here and there. I would have never gone for him had I been in Jose's position, especially given the negative and reactive game Mourinho employs that requires a nine with very good close control and dribbling ability to hold the ball under heavy pressure. Funny thing is we have a young guy in Martial who ticks all the boxes to make such a position his own with a little coaching. Even funnier is a strike partnership of Lukaku and Martial showed great promise the couple of times Jose used it, but hell will freeze over before he leaves his preferred one striker system in the interest of his players for the good of the team at his disposal.

Litch

Same as any footballer, if he's played to his strengths then you get the best out of them. Don't see him have the same issues for Belgium? He might not be the right player for us, won't be the first or the last. Same about Pogba too but the issues are much deeper than Rom's ability to control a football or Pogs dancing on instagram. When your best players currently are actually your worst ones, your clubs got big problems.....

bsCallout

Just another player where we must play to their strengths, to me that means two up top.

I can't see us going too wrong this season trying the following:

De Gea
Dalot, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw
Fred, Fellaini, Pogba
Mata
Lukaku Martial

4-3-1-2

I'd actually like to see Pereira play in the Mata role.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Scholes hit the nail on the head on BT Tuesday night when he suggested Lukaku is trying things at United he is not capable of probably because he thinks he has to as the main striker for United.

He needs to get back to basics and concentrate on getting on the end of goals by staying on the last defender and working hard to by pressing from the front.

UncleBob

Scholes is just annoying. He even attempted to downplay the win against Juventus.
Depends on what he actually said, we rode our luck in most of the match and then did extremely well in the end to get a win. The importance of the 3 points is obvious to anyone, it changed our entire situation in the group, but it's hardly like the team turned a corner and the win boosted our confidence, we were put firmly back in our place by City in the following match, then there was the disaster against Crystal Palace and more or less an unconvincing win against Young Boys.

Doubt Scholes is too impressed with isolated big wins, where the overall performance wasn't exactly solid.

UncleBob

Same as any footballer, if he's played to his strengths then you get the best out of them. Don't see him have the same issues for Belgium? He might not be the right player for us, won't be the first or the last. Same about Pogba too but the issues are much deeper than Rom's ability to control a football or Pogs dancing on instagram. When your best players currently are actually your worst ones, your clubs got big problems.....
For me it's two issues combined. 1: It should be obvious to the majority of fans that the issues are more complicated than individual players not performing, the team as a collective is struggling. 2: I don't think Lukaku is all that good either..Obviously he's a good player, just not quite at the level we need him to be.

I thought his start to the season would be quickly forgotten, that he'd start scoring goals and people would ignore his other issues and be happy he's banging in goals, but after 12 league matches he has 4 goals. Mentally he looks lost..If he doesn't turn thing around quickly then i'm worried he's not getting past the 10 goal mark in the league this season

vanderpants

probably the worse striker i have seen at OT for a long while, he's just a big lump, no skill, no movement, nothing, obviously, this is my opinion as I've watched some quality strikers of the years. Even Falco we had on loan tried harder and he was pants

haram

probably the worse striker i have seen at OT for a long while, he's just a big lump, no skill, no movement, nothing, obviously, this is my opinion as I've watched some quality strikers of the years. Even Falco we had on loan tried harder and he was pants
It was just last season where this was all false. I should stop coming into this thread.

Rajma

It was just last season where this was all false. I should stop coming into this thread.
Not true, same have been said last year especially by those who actually attended any games as his lack of movement is astonishingly bad when you watch him at the stadium.

Posh Red

The poster is exaggerating slightly but he isn't far wrong. He has always had relatively poor technique. He scored a few tap ins but personally didn't see anything that made him United quality last season.

Bestietom

I think that lukaku needs another one playing alongside him up front. I would like to see Martial play alongside him in a 4-4 2 or 4-3-1-2 But I don't think that Mourinho will change his tactics.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Since Romelu Lukaku last scored at Old Trafford:

Alexis Sanchez has collected £12million in wages
Manchester City have scored 83 goals
Lewis Hamilton has won 11 Gran Prix’s
Real Madrid have had three managers
Mbappe has won four trophies

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I saw a meme say the entire F1 season was completed...

I think that lukaku needs another one playing alongside him up front. I would like to see Martial play alongside him in a 4-4 2 or 4-3-1-2 But I don't think that Mourinho will change his tactics.
I cant see Lukaku working with another forward in close proximity. I dont think he has the playing intelligence or link-up capabilities. Lukaku,in my opinion,only really works as the lone forward in a team.The question is primarily about how that team gets the best out of him because we sure as hell dont,not under Jose anyway.

Ekeke

I cant see Lukaku working with another forward in close proximity. I dont think he has the playing intelligence or link-up capabilities. Lukaku,in my opinion,only really works as the lone forward in a team.The question is primarily about how that team gets the best out of him because we sure as hell dont,not under Jose anyway.
Did you not see him flick the ball onto Fellaini who scored the winner last game?

Foxbatt

The problem is not team is going to put it on a plate for him to tap into an empty net. Now he has been these chances created. Yes he has to beat the keeper and he is missing those. Last season he did score a lot more.
What Scholes said was that he should stop trying come deep and try to play like number 10 because he does not have the technique to do so. He thinks he has very good ball control that is why he is pointing to his feet and asking the ball to be played to him under tight marking. He simply does not have the ability to receive passes under pressure most of the time due to his lack of first touch and ball control.
Yes it is more than Lukaku that is the problem at United.

Did you not see him flick the ball onto Fellaini who scored the winner last game?
He didn't mean it.He was going for the overhead kick,he just naturally messed it up.

I'm talking more about Lukaku being capable of playing alongside another forward primarily from the minute off.
We dont go long all the time so Lukaku,if he is going to play alongside someone,needs to fine tune his all-round game considerably ,which I dont think he's capable of personally speaking.

The problem is not team is going to put it on a plate for him to tap into an empty net. Now he has been these chances created. Yes he has to beat the keeper and he is missing those. Last season he did score a lot more.
What Scholes said was that he should stop trying come deep and try to play like number 10 because he does not have the technique to do so. He thinks he has very good ball control that is why he is pointing to his feet and asking the ball to be played to him under tight marking. He simply does not have the ability to receive passes under pressure most of the time due to his lack of first touch and ball control.
Yes it is more than Lukaku that is the problem at United.
To be fair to Lukaku he usually comes deep because there's a void between him ,as a lone forward, and the midfield.Also as we've seen with Lukaku ,more so last season granted,that it doesnt matter how many times he runs off the ball we just dont have many players capable of picking him out other than Pogba and a Juan Mata who rarely starts.
Its almost like we have a team balance and management/coaching issue.;)

Ekeke

He didn't mean it.He was going for the overhead kick,he just naturally messed it up.

I'm talking more about Lukaku being capable of playing alongside another forward primarily from the minute off.
We dont go long all the time so Lukaku,if he is going to play alongside someone,needs to fine tune his all-round game considerably ,which I dont think he's capable of personally speaking.
I think he's best when he pulls wide and gets to run a defender. That will happen more if someone else is leading the line for a bit. So I think playing in a pair up front will suit him more than being isolated alone without us creating the best chances. Linkup play is not his strength, but he's definitely had plenty of games where he did well in the buildup finding a teammate in the buildup for a chance

He doesn't need to link up with them. He just needs to get on the end of passes off the shoulder of the last defenders, and its a lot easier to do that if its coming from another striker 10 yards away instead of Pogba 50 yards away.

Rajma

:lol::(

redIndianDevil

He is not good enough for a top side IMO, he doesn't have the capability to play against a packed defence and it's even more pronounced in a slow passing team like ours, due to our slow transition, he faces a very packed and tighter defence. And his finishing, while good, is not that good enough to score more goals in our setup, we create very few chances and your finishing should be top notch in order to succeed in our current team.

Foxbatt

Yes the midfield is an issue but players like Fred and Herrera have the ability to play that pass to the forwards. I agree Jose is the biggest problem because players may not play to his instructions in one game but not every game. I saw the Butt's players play a much better passing game than the first team. It does not matter if we play City or Bournemouth or probably same tomorrow against S'ton, we still would be crap.

El Jefe

I long for the day he's no longer a United player.

He's arguably the worst striker this club has seen in the last 30 years excluding fringe players like Bellion and Manucho.

Even strikers like Forlan and Alan Smith that underperformed for us scored some absolute screamers and had top class performances. Forlan's late winners and his double at Anfield will always be remembered and Smith's volley vs Norwich or his crazy action packed performance in the 7-1 vs Roma.

Lukaku can leave this club today with 31 goals in 68 games and be remembered for nothing positive on the football pitch in years to come. No particular stand out performance or great goals to his name. Right now he'll be remembered for meme worthy highlight reels and his pseudo bravado in interviews. An absolutely terrible piece of business at £75m rising to £90m.

Holocene

This stat really puts it into perspective, doesn't it? Terrible situation.

Silas

:lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

He's arguably the worst striker this club has seen in the last 30 years excluding fringe players like Bellion and Manucho.

Even strikers like Forlan and Alan Smith that underperformed for us scored some absolute screamers and had top class performances. Forlan's late winners and his double at Anfield will always be remembered and Smith's volley vs Norwich or his crazy action packed performance in the 7-1 vs Roma.

Lukaku can leave this club today with 31 goals in 68 games and be remembered for nothing positive on the football pitch in years to come. No particular stand out performance or great goals to his name. Right now he'll be remembered for meme worthy highlight reels and his pseudo bravado in interviews. An absolutely terrible piece of business at £75m rising to £90m.
Agreed with everything else you said but tbh I think the lack of serious options for the striker position in summer 2017 inflated his price. I still don't think any top striker is available at the moment who can replace him.

Foxbatt

Players like Forlan and Smith were not bad players. In Forlan's case he has RVN and that stopped him from playing regularly and that is why he could not score many goals. His technique and his movements were very good. Smith was a player who can also hold the ball well. Lukaku has nothing compared to any of them. I think even Djemba x 2 had better technique than Lukaku.

Trizy

I'm expecting a David Moyes type celebration when he scores a home goal. Probably score top corner from his gammy first touch.. 30 yards out.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its amazing how Mou has the cheek to keep asking for more expensive toys considering his terrible transfer record with us. If I was him, I would either resign or ask for some real help on the matter.

Apokalips

I haven't been too impressed by him apart from his blistering start. His end to the season confused me because I saw posters talk about some crazy improvements that I just wasn't seeing.

I feel like we've been so starved over the last few years our fans cling to the slightest positives and exaggerate them only to then later be disappointed when we come back to earth. Another example would be the whole Herrera for captain fad that was here for a while.

Lukaku is good, but has limitations and should never be an undisputed 90 minute undroppable forward for Manchester United. He's a potentially good asset to have in a squad of forwards that we can rely upon but not as the sole guy.

Reactions: Sultan

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No one thought he was exceptional last season, you should probably revisit old threads. Try digging up January/February posts where he was our worst player from around start of December until middle/late February, but many refused to criticise his entire season because he was new to a team. He was good, nothing more, nothing less. Far from great as you think he was.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I thought he and Sanchez could get 50 goals between them this year.

Kolarov was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.