4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

*shrug*, go and watch them again then I guess, if you can't remember.
You've just proved your post was bollocks.

"Scored some crackers" yeah right. I remember every goal he's scored for us and not one has been a cracker.

Stadjer

Nice attack for the second goal although he does make the finishing look quite clumsy...

The goalkeeper should have saved the first one and missing that huge chance is harder than actually tapping it into the goal.

Does Lukaku actually shoot or does he always try to place it into the net with the inside of his boot?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Think it's just his bad form that makes him take a touch or two extra. I believe he over-thinks the situations because of it.
Agree. Hopefully these goals will relax him a bit and he can start smashing them in again when he comes back. He has it in him but through these periods of bad form he doesn't help himself by trying way too hard sometimes.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Agree. Hopefully these goals will relax him a bit and he can start smashing them in again when he comes back. He has it in him but through these periods of bad form he doesn't help himself by trying way too hard sometimes.

If only.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Whether he ends up good enough for us or not - I think we forget how much of a step up Lukaku has had to make in the past few years in his career. Mentally that can take a toll and sometimes you need to consolidate how much you’ve grown - press the reset button to a degree and start a new process of growth all over again.

This is a guy whose had to fight through relegation level club, to mid table to now leading the line for a top 3 club in the world in terms of pressure and fame. Additionally his national team is now becoming a force to be reckoned with and he’s had to learn to handle the World Cup stage and play in latter stage of tournament. It’s been a rapid step up in terms of difficulty level for him.

Some players are destined to feature at the highest level, others plateau when they hit certain heights and may be forced to drop a level or two before they find the right environment again. Lukaku thus far in his career has proved many doubters wrong and somehow manged to cajole himself to this level. I wouldn't bet against him managing to develop again and cementing himself at this level after stagnating this season.

Having said all that - when you play for a club this size and get to this level of football, you won't be given seasons where you can just stop performing and be given time to find your feet. You might get a season at best but after that you need to hit the ground running, or they will go out and splash on someone who doesn't go through such growing pains.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Football observation has been reduced to robotic cliches nowadays and I do question whether anybody objectively analyse facts and form their own opinion anymore. It’s a worrying trend.

The reaction to Lukaku scoring two goals for Belgium last night, two out of three chances, has been totally predictable. The brain seemingly cannot come to another conclusion than ‘see, when he’s playing in a ‘free-flowing’ attack, see what happens’. It’s as if there is an inability to recognise that we created the exact same chance for his first goal last night for him against Leicester, and he managed to miss it, for example. This has been a source of criticism of him. Because he didn’t miss it for Belgium doesn’t mathematically make it his club’s fault that he missed it here. It means he needs to be more consistent with his finishing.

Lukaku missed at least 3 decent to good/great opportunities against Spurs. Yet the next time he scores for his country, his woes will be blamed on his club teammates. I think before last night’s game, people would accept that he has been wasteful in front of goal for United. But it’s as if our computers have crashed seeing him score 2 goals for Belgium (and not out of 8 chances they gave him either) and we can’t process or equate that, given it’s the same human being, there can be different results in different teams.

Basically, Lukaku has missed many good chances for us this season. He didn’t miss them last night (well, he did miss one sitter). I’m sure we agree that much to be fact, so while I don’t have all the answers, let’s at least start from there and explore, rather than it now being the fault of our attack that he has been wasteful.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Whether he ends up good enough for us or not - I think we forget how much of a step up Lukaku has had to make in the past few years in his career. Mentally that can take a toll and sometimes you need to consolidate how much you’ve grown - press the reset button to a degree and start a new process of growth all over again.

This is a guy whose had to fight through relegation level club, to mid table to now leading the line for a top 3 club in the world in terms of pressure and fame. Additionally his national team is now becoming a force to be reckoned with and he’s had to learn to handle the World Cup stage and play in latter stage of tournament. It’s been a rapid step up in terms of difficulty level for him.

Some players are destined to feature at the highest level, others plateau when they hit certain heights and may be forced to drop a level or two before they find the right environment again. Lukaku thus far in his career has proved many doubters wrong and somehow manged to cajole himself to this level. I wouldn't bet against him managing to develop again and cementing himself at this level after stagnating this season.

Having said all that - when you play for a club this size and get to this level of football, you won't be given seasons where you can just stop performing and be given time to find your feet. You might get a season at best but after that you need to hit the ground running, or they will go out and splash on someone who doesn't go through such growing pains.

This isn't a Jamie Vardy story....he's been at Chelsea and Everton for most of his career before joining us. I remember the hype years ago when Chelsea signed him as a prodigy. He's not someone who's climbed up the ladder.

He was Everton's record signing and we paid around £80 million for him.

As for Belgium, he's part of their golden generation, they've been around for about six years as a major force.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I see he’s plundering the goals for Belgium as usual. Just getting it out of his system before coming back to stink the place up for us. Where is he at with us now - 6 games without a goal?

Patrick08

I see he’s plundering the goals for Belgium as usual. Just getting it out of his system before coming back to stink the place up for us. Where is he at with us now - 6 games without a goal?
He needs creative players behind him who can put chances for him on the plate and we just don't play that way. We don't like to create, we play long balls or put in crosses that's it.

acnumber9

He needs creative players behind him who can put chances for him on the plate and we just don't play that way. We don't like to create, we play long balls or put in crosses that's it.
If only he’d had a few one on ones for United to get himself some easy goals against Spurs, Brighton, Leicester and Derby.

Apokalips

You've just proved your post was bollocks.

"Scored some crackers" yeah right. I remember every goal he's scored for us and not one has been a cracker.
I can’t remember any either. Can you tell me which games he scored great goals in?
I couldn't remember any either and seeing as this guy was being weirdly uninterested in telling us which ones he would describe as crackers I decided to go and watch his goals for us again. Some scuffed, some good, a couple of deft finishes, a couple of emphatic finishes, but not a single one I'd describe as a cracker. I'm not sure what I'm missing?

When I think of a cracker I think of Pogba vs Young Boys or something or Aguero's chip this season vs Arsenal/Sturridge vs Chelsea/Hojbjerg vs Saints/Hazard vs Liverpool. The sort of goals you'd put in a compilation to impress someone new to football.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I also watched his goals from last season recently when I couldn't be arsed doing any work, mainly to see if I did need to cut him some slack. His best technique looked to be heading to me.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Just looked at his calendar year from Oct 14th of last year to Oct 13th this year...

13 premier league goals in 35 appearances. Only scored more than 1 goal on 1 occasion.

I'm not even sure if he's ever been subbed off in that time apart from once, when the crowd cheered and once when he got injured against Arsenal.

That's woeful.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Sorry but this doesn’t wash. He’s missed loads of great chances for us this season.

Stacks

Football observation has been reduced to robotic cliches nowadays and I do question whether anybody objectively analyse facts and form their own opinion anymore. It’s a worrying trend.

The reaction to Lukaku scoring two goals for Belgium last night, two out of three chances, has been totally predictable. The brain seemingly cannot come to another conclusion than ‘see, when he’s playing in a ‘free-flowing’ attack, see what happens’. It’s as if there is an inability to recognise that we created the exact same chance for his first goal last night for him against Leicester, and he managed to miss it, for example. This has been a source of criticism of him. Because he didn’t miss it for Belgium doesn’t mathematically make it his club’s fault that he missed it here. It means he needs to be more consistent with his finishing.

Lukaku missed at least 3 decent to good/great opportunities against Spurs. Yet the next time he scores for his country, his woes will be blamed on his club teammates. I think before last night’s game, people would accept that he has been wasteful in front of goal for United. But it’s as if our computers have crashed seeing him score 2 goals for Belgium (and not out of 8 chances they gave him either) and we can’t process or equate that, given it’s the same human being, there can be different results in different teams.

Basically, Lukaku has missed many good chances for us this season. He didn’t miss them last night (well, he did miss one sitter). I’m sure we agree that much to be fact, so while I don’t have all the answers, let’s at least start from there and explore, rather than it now being the fault of our attack that he has been wasteful.
Haha yep. Mertens must put slightly less spin on the ball making it easier for Rom to bury. Our players make guilt edge chances difficult for him. Or maybe it's because he is nervous when presented a chance for United because they can be few and far between so he panics and misses. It can all be resolved if United were Belgium and had Bobby Martinez.

el3mel

He scored 2 goals against a poor team, shocker. It's like we don't know he's a flat track bully or anything.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He scored 2 goals against a poor team, shocker. It's like we don't know he's a flat track bully or anything.
45 goals for Belgium. 48 if you include the hattrick that was disallowed due to their former coach feckup. At the age of 25 that is insane. He is close to Rooneys and Henrys record for England and France. 10 more goals than Torres.

Does not look good for us. But we dont really play to his strenghts either.

el3mel

45 goals for Belgium. 48 if you include the hattrick that was disallowed due to their former coach feckup. At the age of 25 that is insane. He is close to Rooneys and Henrys record for England and France. 10 more goals than Torres.

Ok but that doesn't change anything from what we know : He bullies small teams but barely score against the big ones. That's the majority of Belgium matches.

Stacks

Question is, has he ever lit up a tournament for Belgium?

cyberman

He'll become Europes record goalscorer imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This isn't a Jamie Vardy story....he's been at Chelsea and Everton for most of his career before joining us. I remember the hype years ago when Chelsea signed him as a prodigy. He's not someone who's climbed up the ladder.

He was Everton's record signing and we paid around £80 million for him.

As for Belgium, he's part of their golden generation, they've been around for about six years as a major force.
He was a child prodigy purely because of his size. He could bully younger much smaller players and that’s what made him stand out from the crowd.

Once he joined a big side it became abundantly clear that technically and tactically this kid was no prodigy - he was in fact below average and was very underdeveloped in various respects and that’s why he’s had to work very hard to rise up the ladder again.

When you watch Lukaku you don’t see a guy who has the game come naturally to him - his football IQ isn’t naturally brilliant but he’s worked on it and it is getting better. The big question is can he keep growing as a player enough to be a top class elite striker who a CL winning club would require or is this one step too far for him - he can afford a dip for a season but he will need to start performing by next season otherwise he could find himself out of favour as football at this level is ruthless especially for forwards.

Red_Ramirez

He scored what? 27 goals last season

If goals is your issues with him I wouldnt worry too much

He's got 4...if he stays fit and plays every minute till the end of the season he'll easily get another 20-30 goals

VoN_DamN

Poor team? Switzerland are Fifa ranked 8th. People go to lengths to prove things ...

He scored 2 while being out of form at United, which is struggling for years to live up to their history.

Last edited:

el3mel

Poor team? Switzerland are Fifa ranked 8th. People go to lengths to prove things ...

He scored 2 while being out of form at United, which is struggling for years to live up to their history.
Imagine using Fifa ranks to evaluate teams are poor or not. England, Swiitzerland and Uruguay are above Spain in the ranking as well. Guess that means Spain are really poor doesn't it ?

Belgium have far more quality than anyhing the Swiss can gather for this match.

Johan07

Imagine using Fifa ranks to evaluate teams are poor or not. England, Swiitzerland and Uruguay are above Spain in the ranking as well. Guess that means Spain are really poor doesn't it ?

Belgium have far more quality than anyhing the Swiss can gather for this match.
Why should that mean that Spain are "really poor"? The Swiss has a very good NT. Belgium too. What is it with you and the hyperbole? You can try to make your argument without that you know...

el3mel

Why should that mean that Spain are "really poor"? The Swiss has a very good NT. Belgium too. What is it with you and the hyperbole? You can try to make your argument without that you know...
Fifa ranking is a terrible way to judge team strength. I'm surprised people actually look at it. It's measured according to points system.

Belgium will beat Swiss 9/10 when they meet. If you think otherwise Ok then.

haram

Fifa ranking is a terrible way to judge team strength. I'm surprised people actually look at it. It's measured according to points system.

Belgium will beat Swiss 9/10 when they meet. If you think otherwise Ok then.
That doesn’t mean Switzerland are a bad team.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
I was looking at the statistics of 2019 United versus United by average or even in it's best seasons, and the one thing that really sticks out is rather far more goals conceded. Indeed more goals conceded than goals scored. Shooting accuracy has been above the average at 44% this year. United has a smaller number of shots on goal over the season VS city 49 vs 65 respectivly But even smaller than that is the number of big chances created at 10 vs 21.

city 8 matches 21 goals 3 goals conceded 21 big chances 37% shooting accuracy
united 8 matches 13 goals 14 goals conceded 10 big chances 44% shooting accuracy
Liverpool 8 matches 15 goals 3 goals conceded 14 big chances 42% shooting accuracy
Tottenham 8 matches 15 goals 7 goals conceded 14 big chances 40% shooting accuracy
Chelsea 8 matches 18 goals 5 goals conceded 18 big chances 33% shooting accuracy

Romulu only scored 4 iirc of those 13 goals in the league this year. In his position you would still expect him to score more of those 13 goals. That said shooting accuracy hasn't been all that bad but noticable the amount of big chances has dropped even more than the amount of goals besides being very low compared to the competition. So imho there is also an argument to be said for the idea that not enough chances are created. However i would still like to stress the amount of goals conceded in that comparison as thats really whats dropping United so low this year isn't it? It's shambolic defending foremost isn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.