Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
That is just a flat out lie, We aren't in the 90s anymore, mid table teams are now playing pressing and attacking football. And this idea that he struggles against most teams because of his touch and technical play falls completely on its arse when actually scrutinized. Lukaku makes easy work of lesser opposition, these so called teams that park the bus against big clubs get destroyed by Lukaku on a regular basis. If anything his performance against big teams is what is lacking, not him playing against lesser opposition.

It's pretty obvious you've gone off the deep end on Lukaku when you are making points that go completely against reality. Lukaku has scored 34 goals against lesser opposition for us in his time here, and a solitary 1 goal against top opposition (2 if you count Real Madrid in the super cup) which was against Chelsea. The exact same thing happened at Everton where his big game record was shoddy.

Lukaku does not struggle against parked buses or lesser teams. Those are his speciality. This idea that he's a barely serviceable footballer with nothing going for him is nonsensical, and it's obviously based on the short term ism of his bad season. Last season he was one of our better players and looked to be improving the technical aspects, and he has been improving season upon season since his Everton days.
And yet you still have vids like this one
Thats from last season.

edgar allan

Never mind his terrible excuse for a touch the most annoying thing for me is his constant pointing to other players to tell them where to pass. He reminds me of the people with the table tennis paddles that direct planes to their parking spot.

He doesn't just do it now to show where he is going to make his run but to tell the likes of Pogba and Martial who to pass it to in build ups.
Loving the football at the moment but having to watch this now is really hurting my eyes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
And yet you still have vids like this one

Thats from last season.

Lukaku was 11th for big chances missed last season. You could make longer compilations for 10 other players.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedStarUnited

This whole 'he was great last season' talk needs to stop. He scored less than Ibra did the year before and Ibra missed a bunch of sitters and got injured in March I think.

marko goalo

He's incredibly shit at football, and I mean incredibly. Not even Heskey class. He can't control a ball, his footballing brain is poor, he can't make a decent pass, he isn't a target. He is a poacher, he can score that's no doubt about it. But it's often against Reading, Newcastle and Malta. And often not match winning goals. How anyone who is watching football regularly can't see this, I can't understand. He can be our Chicharito but that's about it. Is he going to be our main striker in a Champions League final against Juventus or PSG? Hell no.
Absolutely spot on. I can only assume those defending him are related in some way. In 40 years of supporting United I've never seen a worse 'footballer' at the club that's given me laughs but for all the wrong reasons

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Stick to gifs mate, that's what you're good at (or used to be).

Lukaku was 11th for big chances missed last season. You could make longer compilations for 10 other players.
Oh again with the stats are you actually watching the games at all? Did you watch any game in the last 6 months? He's such a limited player it's painful to watch at times.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Oh again with the stats are you actually watching the games at all? Did you watch any game in the last 6 months? He's such a limited player it's painful to watch at times.
Nice shifting of the goal posts.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So you think he’s good enough?

How many of those goals were actually scored against a decent side?
I think he's a very good striker but with some obvious flaws. Definitely don't think he's anywhere near as bad as people in this thread make him out to be I mean we've had posters in here questioning if he should even be a professional footballer and if he should just give up and retire. Embarassing stuff. We're talking about a player who is the top goal scorer for his country and like I said he's scored 109 goals in the PL by 25 which is impressive.

Devil81

This whole 'he was great last season' talk needs to stop. He scored less than Ibra did the year before and Ibra missed a bunch of sitters and got injured in March I think.
If I remember rightly he started the season off with a glut of about 10 goals in 8 games and then went about 12 games without a goal. To be fair that pretty much sums his time up at Manchester United so far, he has goal gluts and then goes missing for a few months.

The only difference now is we're actually allowing the likes of Pogba, Rashford and Martial to play the game they want to. Surely they will be setting more chances up during a game than they have been previously.

I think he's a very good striker but with some obvious flaws. Definitely don't think he's anywhere near as bad as people in this thread make him out to be I mean we've had posters in here questioning if he should even be a professional footballer and if he should just give up and retire. Embarassing stuff. We're talking about a player who is the top goal scorer for his country and like I said he's scored 109 goals in the PL by 25 which is impressive.
Obviously there’s some bonkers comments, it’s the Caf!!

He is a good striker in the whole scheme of things and with a very good record (for other clubs, at a lower standard), but he’s proved that he’s not good enough for us. His goal record is impressive, however, we need more than just goals against the bottom half teams against Utd. We need players who are capable of scoreing against the top sides, players who can make goals out of nothing, Lukuku is not that player, there is no magic about him and he adversary affects the rest of the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Lukaku recieved 22 "big chances" in the PL last season and scored 11 of them. Zlatan (despite being injured from March on as you say) recieved 23 "big chances" and scored 7 of them.

For further context Ibra was getting a chance every 21 minutes with a goal conversion rate of 14.8%, Lukaku receiving a chance every 38 minutes with a goal conversion rate of 18.6%.

In other words when we say Lukaku was good last season it's in the context of the rest of the team being shite at creating anything. If Ibra had been recieving as few chances as Lukaku did last season then he would have clearly scored a lot less too.

There are a ton of things to fairly criticise Lukaku for but his goalscoring isn't one of them, he does that very well. If you want to downplay hiw good he was last season then I'd stick to focusing on his general play.

Dante

Average bang
Anybody who thinks Lukaku's football brain is poor is not in a position to judge footballing intelligence. They clearly don't have any themselves.

The two-stage run for the goal was extremely clever, for example, and it's not an isolated example.

It's only his race and his poor touch that lead to accusations of him being stupid. And neither of those things are relevant to the discussion.

Anak Portal

Scoring under Ole, I think to give him a chance until the end of a season.
Maybe he will reach 20 goals in EPL soon.

edgar allan

Anybody who thinks Lukaku's football brain is poor is not in a position to judge footballing intelligence. They clearly don't have any themselves.

The two-stage run for the goal was extremely clever, for example, and it's not an isolated example.

It's only his race and his poor touch that lead to accusations of him being stupid. And neither of those things are relevant to the discussion.
His touch and poor hold up play are 100% relevant to the discussion on his performance.

The term football intelligence is itself a stupid one. People are primarily referring to ability on and off the ball, it has nothing to do with intelligence per se

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Lukaku recieved 22 "big chances" in the PL last season and scored 11 of them. Zlatan (despite being injured from March on as you say) recieved 23 "big chances" and scored 7 of them.

For further context Ibra was getting a chance every 21 minutes with a goal conversion rate of 14.8%, Lukaku receiving a chance every 38 minutes with a goal conversion rate of 18.6%.

In other words when we say Lukaku was good last season it's in the context of the rest of the team being shite at creating anything. If Ibra had been recieving as few chances as Lukaku did last season then he would have clearly scored a lot less too.

There are a ton of things to fairly criticise Lukaku for but his goalscoring isn't one of them, he does that very well. If you want to downplay hiw good he was last season then I'd stick to focusing on his general play.
Perhaps Ibra was part of the reason Ibra received more chances and Lukaku was part of the reason Lukaku didn't

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Perhaps Ibra was part of the reason Ibra received more chances and Lukaku was part of the reason Lukaku didn't
Yep, could be, which is why I referred to his general play. Though the fact that Lukaku also recieved better and more frequent chances at Everton suggests that the team played a large role too.

Mickson

Just because he makes a good run sometimes, doesn't mean he has a great footballing brain. Of course, he can pull off a V-run (as we say in Sweden) but I'm not impressed. One of his major flaws is how slow he is to react to loose balls, which says a lot about his footballing brain. Also, he can't pick up a great pass. Mainly because he hasn't the skill set to do that but also because he can't see those passes. How many times has he gotten a great pass but he are on his heels and are too slow to react?

Dante

Average bang
Just because he makes a good run sometimes, doesn't mean he has a great footballing brain. Of course, he can pull off a V-run (as we say in Sweden) but I'm not impressed. One of his major flaws is how slow he is to react to loose balls, which says a lot about his footballing brain. Also, he can't pick up a great pass. Mainly because he hasn't the skill set to do that but also because he can't see those passes. How many times has he gotten a great pass but he are on his heels and are too slow to react?
Yes, he can. 7 assists last season.

And if his technique is lacking, that means he can't execute his vision. Again, it's not evidence that he lacks a football brain. That's just an easy get-out clause for people to feel superior on the internet.

If his runs were so easy to replicate, every player would. Instead, Lukaku is one of the best in the coutry at it, and has been for years.

buckooo1978

for those who would sell Lukaku where do you think his destination would be and for how much?

deafepl

In Poch's version, Lukaku is the Llorente and Rashfrod is the Kane, a golden boy for Ole.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was good up until November or so. Firstly with all the goals he scored early on, and then he was playing well and regularly our best player for a while even while he wasn't scoring. After that he fell away quite badly though, which obviously then got far worse this season.

RedStarUnited

Ibra makes much better runs, which probably results in him being in more situations to get those 'big chances'. And then think about the goals Ibra made for himself like the outside the box shot vs Bournemouth away or Swansea. Lukaku simply doesn't bring this to the table.

It was a good run but its not 'extremely clever'. That is what forwards at all levels are taught to do for god sake.

His touch and poor hold up play are 100% relevant to the discussion on his performance.

The term football intelligence is itself a stupid one. People are primarily referring to ability on and off the ball, it has nothing to do with intelligence per se
I am actually questioning his intelligence to be honest. A player with his physical attributes should not be bullied as much as he does if he learned to use them intelligently.

Fair to him for getting this far in his career I guess.

OverratedOpinion

Well, Martial has as many as him this year, having played less minutes and in a less advanced position and Rashford has two less, but loads of assists as well. Lukaku is a decent poacher, but thats about it, he wont do stuff like Martials goal vs Cardiff or Rashfords assist vs Bournemouth
Yes, in Lukaku's worst scoring season in years and Martial's best ever Martial has the same number as him. You do yourself a disservice by saying things like "Lukaku is a decent poacher", you are trying too hard to discredit him.

I hope Martial and Rashford do prove to be better goalscorers and go on to lead our attack for years as they are both brilliant to watch. As I already said though, there is nothing of substance to point to which would say either are as efficient goalscorers.

Dante

Average bang
Ibra makes much better runs, which probably results in him being in more situations to get those 'big chances'. And then think about the goals Ibra made for himself like the outside the box shot vs Bournemouth away or Swansea. Lukaku simply doesn't bring this to the table.

It was a good run but its not 'extremely clever'. That is what forwards at all levels are taught to do for god sake.

I am actually questioning his intelligence to be honest. A player with his physical attributes should not be bullied as much as he does if he learned to use them intelligently.

But very few have the football intelligence to execute it in a game environment as regularly as Lukaku.

In interviews with squad members, Lukaku is often named as one of the most intelligent at United.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

The thing that I find funny is that Lukaku gets so much stick when there are clearly much more pressing areas of our team that need addressing first. Once we have a functional right hand side to our team and a couple of centre halves who know how to do their job then we can worry about improving on our striker who in all likelihood will have scored 50 goals in his first two seasons here (whilst not taking pens).

Foxbatt

But very few have the football intelligence to execute it in a game environment as regularly as Lukaku.

In interviews with squad members, Lukaku is often named as one of the most intelligent at United.
You must be joking or trying to be a WUM. Lukaku may be intelligent off the field and I do not know his IQ but on the field he is piss poor most of the time. As others have said he is always on his back foot and to be honest I am surprised that he got the goal against Newcastle as normally he would have either been offside or on the back foot. Of course he is a decent player otherwise he would not be playing for Belgium. The same as Fellaini but honestly I would chose Fellaini over Lukaku because he brings something no other player can at United.
Yesterday there was once instant where he tried to control the ball and it popped up and hit him on his nose or somewhere there and he looked surprised and confused as to what was happening. I did not know where to laugh or to cry.

Dante

Average bang
You must be joking or trying to be a WUM. Lukaku may be intelligent off the field and I do not know his IQ but on the field he is piss poor most of the time. As others have said he is always on his back foot and to be honest I am surprised that he got the goal against Newcastle as normally he would have either been offside or on the back foot. Of course he is a decent player otherwise he would not be playing for Belgium. The same as Fellaini but honestly I would chose Fellaini over Lukaku because he brings something no other player can at United.
Yesterday there was once instant where he tried to control the ball and it popped up and hit him on his nose or somewhere there and he looked surprised and confused as to what was happening. I did not know where to laugh or to cry.
Control is a physical attribute, not a mental one.

edgar allan

Strength has even less to do with intelligence.
So you think that the bigger you are the stronger you must be??

edgar allan

He also took his goal expertly, give the man credit when it is due.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ibra makes much better runs, which probably results in him being in more situations to get those 'big chances'. And then think about the goals Ibra made for himself like the outside the box shot vs Bournemouth away or Swansea. Lukaku simply doesn't bring this to the table
That doesn't explain how Lukaku managed to get 25 big chances for Everton the year before coming here though, or why they created more chances generally that season than we did last year.

Either you blame the player for this discrepancy or the team. If it was the player's fault then upon arriving here he randomly became much worse at the aspects of football you mention, which seems unlikley. The alternative is that the team as a whole was struggling to create chances, something I think would correlate with most caf posters' general opinion of Mourinho's approach this season and last.

Status
Not open for further replies.