Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

TheReligion

Abusive
That is why people turn down the EPL for their entire career to go play for their dream clubs Real Madrid or Barcelona. I am not saying the EPL is a lower league but it is not the biggest and it does not have the biggest teams. Some fans have tried to convince themselves of this about the EPL, but it does not wash.
That’s a bit of a silly argument as everyone has preferences over clubs. Giggs stayed at United and turned down Italy during their pomp. It’s all relative.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
That’s a bit of a silly argument as everyone has preferences over clubs. Giggs stayed at United and turned down Italy during their pomp. It’s all relative.
It is silly to think the EPL is the top league with the top teams when the elite players are wanting Real Madrid and Barcelona. It is a statement of fact.

Pintu

It is silly to think the EPL is the top league with the top teams when the elite players are wanting Real Madrid and Barcelona. It is a statement of fact.
How many ballon d’Or have been won by EPL players over the last 30/40 years?

TheReligion

Abusive
it’s silly to bring Barcelona and Madrid into a discussion about the EPL and Serie A isn’t it?

Not sure where you’re going with it

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It looks like Lukaku has an agreement with Inter. But it only works if he joins before June 30th. If he joins Inter after June 30th, the agreed salary becomes 20% more expensive for Inter (since they wouldn't be able to use the tax break rules).

The difficult part for Inter now is convincing Chelsea to let him go on loan. Inter currently offering Chelsea a one-year loan fee of 5M + 7 M in bonnuses.

Honestly? I'd still give him another season if it were my choice, have said for much of the back end of last season i didnt think we'd sell him.

But, i think its very likely now that he goes. Especially now that the club have told him he can go provided the deal is right

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes it is? The PL is bigger and wealthier.. @Zaphod2319

Again not sure where you’re going with this unless you are suggesting La Liga is? When Barca are broke and there’s only Real with any money?

Again strange to start making a fuss when I was discussing with the poster the difference between playing as a number 9 at a top club in the EPL to Serie A

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Is this true? You say it quite definitively, yet Série A and Ligue 1 matches are often sparse in attendance and atmosphere. The only top league that seems to be really well run from a fan's perspective is the Bundesliga. The others appear very much hit and miss.
Ligue 1 games have better atmosphere than Premier League games, the quality of the game might be underwhelming, but even fans from the mid table teams always make a lot of noises, and unfortunately many times that escalate into violence.

I have seen better atmospheres in Saint Etienne,Nice, Marseille,Lyon, Rennes games than in PL, except maybe Anfield.

Probably because PL officials are pricing out real fans, so the atmosphere is more quite than it was 20 years ago.
I remember better atmospheres in early 2000s PL, the quality of the game wasn't as good as now, but the atmosphere was definitely better.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Ligue 1 games have better atmosphere than Premier League games, the quality of the game might be underwhelming, but even fans from the mid table teams always make a lot of noises, and unfortunately many times that escalate into violence.

I have seen better atmospheres in Saint Etienne,Nice, Marseille,Lyon, Rennes games than in PL, except in Anfield.

Probably because PL officials are pricing out real fans, so the atmosphere is more quite than it was 20 years ago.
I remember better atmospheres in early 2000s PL, the quality of the game wasn't as good as now, but the atmosphere was definitely better.
Ahh the Anfield myth.

That just shows how much you know about PL atmospheres to be fair

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It looks like Lukaku has an agreement with Inter. But it only works if he joins before June 30th. If he joins Inter after June 30th, the agreed salary becomes 20% more expensive for Inter (since they wouldn't be able to use the tax break rules).

The difficult part for Inter now is convincing Chelsea to let him go on loan. Inter currently offering Chelsea a one-year loan fee of 5M + 7 M in bonnuses.

A £4m loan fee is just taking the piss. Lukaku needs to understand that he can't just manipulate his way into a situation where he gets everything he wants at Chelsea's - very costly - expense.

Both Inter and Lukaku can feck off to be honest.

::sonny::

There is more pressure playing for Inter Milan than Manchester United :lol:

Some of the statements on this forum are absurd :houllier:
United fans don’t boo players, Inter fans yes, at first mistakes, after 3 mistakes you are “burnt” forever (bergkamo, gresko and many others)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes he can like all the players
The flaw in his plan is that Inter are dead broke. Players can usually force a move to a club that wants them and willing spend to get them. This is different. Inter are offering peanuts for a loan fee and nothing else. That's not something Lukaku can manipulate Chelsea into accepting.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Tommy T just needs to pull him aside and say "Look mate, I get it, you're a cnut. You'll be playing in the reserves, cnut. If you want to feck off then you feck off on our terms with a smaller pay packet. Now feck off"

cyberman

Chelsea kind of stuck. Can’t see them splashing out on another attacker when they have a 100m man there

TheReligion

Abusive
Tommy T just needs to pull him aside and say "Look mate, I get it, you're a cnut. You'll be playing in the reserves, cnut. If you want to feck off then you feck off on our terms with a smaller pay packet. Now feck off"
He likely will do but Lukaku holds all the power here I think

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If Inter agree to an obligation to buy [within 2yrs] which, for arguments sake was 60-70m euros, and perhaps agreed to paying half of his current salary, he'd be off tomorrow. 5m loan fee or not. Especially as we still owe one or 2 payments on his transfer fee

If he has agreed a lower salary to return to inter, then perhaps even try have inter pay him his full 'new' salary during the loan.

The main thing in all this is Inter want him, he seemingly wants to go and TT and/or our new owners are willing to do it if its the right deal. It's heading towards one conclusion and one conclusion only. [even though id rather he stayed]

And no, his replacement is not going to be Broja, he'll be backup i suspect - then again, him being sold too wouldnt shock me

TheReligion

Abusive
If Inter agree to an obligation to buy [within 2yrs] which, for arguments sake was 60-70m euros, and perhaps agreed to paying half of his current salary, he'd be off tomorrow. 5m loan fee or not. Especially as we still owe one or 2 payments on his transfer fee

If he has agreed a lower salary to return to inter, then perhaps even try have inter pay him his full 'new' salary during the loan.

The main thing in all this is Inter want him, he seemingly wants to go and TT and/or our new owners are willing to do it if its the right deal. It's heading towards one conclusion and one conclusion only. [even though id rather he stayed]

And no, his replacement is not going to be Broja, he'll be backup i suspect - then again, him being sold too wouldnt shock me
I don’t think they’ll be any obligation to buy at that price when you consider his age and current performance level.

It’s a tricky one really and he’s only a year in to a mega contract

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea kind of stuck. Can’t see them splashing out on another attacker when they have a 100m man there
If Lukaku is still at the club, then he's gonna have to be part of the squad and it'll be him and Havertz sharing the role again, which I think is the most likely outcome this summer. I don't think Inter are that bothered about getting him, when they have Martinez and are getting Dybala on a free transfer. They can't afford Lukaku and they won't give up an important player in a swap deal to get him, so Lukaku is gonna have to accept reality and shut the feck up.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think they’ll be any obligation to buy at that price when you consider his age and current performance level.

It’s a tricky one really and he’s only a year in to a mega contract
perhaps, but i think theyll include some sort of purchase option. Have to remember aswell that Inter are owed money by us too re. his 100m fee, so they do have some wiggle room aswell.

Mad as it may seem id rather keep him, but if he wants to go, then let him. Its going to happen i think or theyd not be having Lukaku's lawyers sat in their HQ sorting out his "new" contract, but if i was in charge id either want half salary paid and an obligation to buy with small loan fee, or large loan fee half wages, and no obligation

I dont see any sort of swap deal with Lautaro, or Skriniar or Bastoni, they're always rumoured in Italian media and rarely happen anyway.

UncleBob

Genuinly surprised, not about his overall performances but at the lack of goals and him moaning his way back to Italy after just one season. Must be an absolute nightmare trying to manage fragile players like him

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

They're never paying 70m euros for a near 32 year old player who plays like he is wearing skis.

Gazza

I think it's more the case Chelsea have an expensive asset that is now worth very little to them and they would be absolutely delighted to sell. Chelsea are at the least as motivated to sell as Inter are to buy.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
That first touch could never be improved. He would never be someone good with playing with his back to goal, holding up and bringing up runners on either side. He seemed fitter at the beginning of the season, but over the season he reverted back to type.

And now, very predictably, he's making himself toxic so the club can get rid, and he can blame them for his failures later. What an insecure, unlikeable player.

That said, no one gets competitive transfer fees for their discards as well as Chelsea do. Am sure Atletico will swoop in with 70m offer any day.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Why would Inter want Lukaku back?

They were only 2 points away from winning the league, and it was due a to goalie mistake that they lost those points.

Lukaku hasn't done much better at Inter than what he did at United, he just scored more penalties, without those penalties his record at Inter would be the same as in United.
It's not like he had 25 non-penalty goals at Inter.

Inter can get a better striker for less money and wages, with a better first touch as well.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Why would Inter want Lukaku back?

They were only 2 points away from winning the league, and it was due a to goalie mistake that they lost those points.

Lukaku hasn't done much better at Inter than what he did at United, he just scored more penalties, without those penalties his record in Inter would be the same as in United.
It's not like he had 25 non-penalty goals at Inter.

Inter can get a better striker for less money and wages, with a better first touch as well.
Exactly Lukaku is a bang average player that stat obsessed people like to cream over. Chelsea allowed themselves to get their pants pulled down and rammed as hard as Marcellus Wallace. No one is bailing them out for that donkey they spent €100m+ on. My only surprise is that Inter are even offering to cover half his wages.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Indeed. His serie A stint is massively overrated. He wasn’t great there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn't he top scorer and the league's player of the season?

I probably watched about 20 minutes of his stint in Italy but surely he did very well?
He was good, not great. He still was as clumsy as ever and failed to turn up against the better teams.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He was good, not great. He still was as clumsy as ever and failed to turn up against the better teams.
I'd take that from him next season if he bangs them in against the lower sides.

A flat track bully isn't always a terrible thing in a football. Problem this last season is he wasn't even that.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Wasn't he top scorer and the league's player of the season?

I probably watched about 20 minutes of his stint in Italy but surely he did very well?
He did extremely well in Italy under Conte, people saying otherwise are out of their minds or just pursuing agendas.

My suspicion, however, is that Marotta is too smart to pay real money for him at this stage in his career. Marotta apparently loves Scamacca but their finances have made a deal next to impossible this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is hoping to loan Lukaku for a year and then go for Scamacca if he is still available or somebody else in Serie A if not. Marotta has always been really good at finding bargains, especially within Serie A, and so that plus Inter's finances make laying out big money for a 29-year-old Lukaku to return permanently seem extremely unlikely to me.

El Jefe

Has there ever been a player as mentally weak as him? His career is going out sad. Everytime he faced challenges at a club he left, he didn't even attempt to fight for his place or prove his worth.

For someone who talks about humble beginnings he sure us awfully entitled.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Has there ever been a player as mentally weak as him? His career is going out sad. Everytime he faced challenges at a club he left, he didn't even attempt to fight for his place or prove his worth.
And the most ironic thing of all is his idol was Drogba. A man who took on and beat (or forced out of position) multiple big money signings.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Some Matteo Moretto fella, and Barzaghi from Sky Italia, say there is an obligation to buy included, but no word on amount.... Not sure how accurate

Needs replacing. Out of all linked, i think Gabriel Jesus seems most attainable

ReallyUSA

Absolutely hilarious. All the talking he did about MU. Just to flop, and try run back to Milan. Just isn't good enough for the big leagues.