Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We finished ahead of you in his first season with us!
Which isn't something to brag about. :D

But seriously, yes you are the team that used his strength which is it use his long distance pace and poaching abilities. The issue being that better teams tend to face deeper blocks and Lukaku ends up having to use his weaknesses a bit too much, the biggest one being his shameful back to goal game.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think there’s that same level of weight and expectancy playing in Italy for Inter ? Interesting
There is likely more weight and expectations, Inter are a massive club in a country full of regine del dramma.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do you think there’s that same level of weight and expectancy playing in Italy for Inter ? Interesting
I think Inter fans and the club expect them to be competing for titles, yeah. Plus the pressure to be the first club to topple the Juventus stranglehold would have been quite large.

I just think both us and Inter used him correctly, with a strike partner that complements him and let’s him play with his athletic ability (pace and power with the ball) / his ability to be a poacher.

None of this target man nonsense that he’s below average at doing.

TheReligion

Abusive
There is likely more weight and expectations, Inter are a massive club in a country full of regine del dramma.
Can’t say I agree.

I think Inter fans and the club expect them to be competing for titles, yeah. Plus the pressure to be the first club to topple the Juventus stranglehold would have been quite large.

I just think both us and Inter used him correctly, with a strike partner that complements him and let’s him play with his athletic ability (pace and power with the ball) / his ability to be a poacher.

Do Belgium use him with a partner?

I think he’s been mentally weak myself. Also very unprofessional at times. No coincidence that both his big moves he’s blown himself and similar noise comes from him at both clubs.

Revaulx

Can’t say I agree.

Do Belgium use him with a partner?

I think he’s been mentally weak myself. Also very unprofessional at times. No coincidence that both his big moves he’s blown himself and similar noise comes from him at both clubs.
Jose was in an uncharacteristically experimental mood for the first half of 17/18, and played a two up front with Lukaku on the right of Martial a few times. I particularly remember an away game in the Champions League (Moscow?) where it worked rather well.

All that came to an end around Christmas after he’d got his contract extension and retreated into the most risk-averse football imaginable.

Lukaku does seem to have a very fragile ego. High maintenance players are only worth persevering with if they’re really outstanding. He isn’t.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Jose was in an uncharacteristically experimental mood for the first half of 17/18, and played a two up front with Lukaku on the right of Martial a few times. I particularly remember an away game in the Champions League (Moscow?) where it worked rather well.

All that came to an end around Christmas after he’d got his contract extension and retreated into the most risk-averse football imaginable.

Lukaku does seem to have a very fragile ego. High maintenance players are only worth persevering with if they’re really outstanding. He isn’t.
The first half of the second season always seems to be when Jose sides peak.

I feel it's the perfect sweetspot of players being well integrated into his methods but at the same time it's too early to be burned out by them.

Revaulx

The first half of the second season always seems to be when Jose sides peak.

I feel it's the perfect sweetspot of players being well integrated into his methods but at the same time it's too early to be burned out by them.
Well it was certainly true of his second stint with you lot. I’m not sure about us though; that whole season was very odd. Matic was really good at the start, Jose tried various formations and gave the impression that he was determined to do well. There were a few worryingly negative performances amidst the positive stuff though; a total bus park away to an out of form Liverpool wound up a lot of people on here.

I think it was about the time qualification into the CL knockouts had been secured when he gave a weird interview about how his son thought PSG was a great club. This got Ed Woodward in a tizz and Jose was immediately given an improved and extended contract. That was that; he immediately seemed to lose interest in the job. The football became duller than LvG’s, Sanchez was a disaster, the Sevilla “heritage” debacle and a really shit performance against you lot in the Cup Final made the heroic second place finish a complete non-event to all but his most loyal fans.

A shame as it looked quite interesting at first.

JPRouve

Scout
in your opinion but I think you’re incorrect
Why? I could be wrong but what makes you think that there is more pressure in the PL when the british press and fans are significantly better behaved.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why? I could be wrong but what makes you think that there is more pressure in the PL when the british press and fans are significantly better behaved.
Literally just posted similar on another thread. In general fans of English clubs are much easier to please.

The only reason we've turned on Lukaku is because of his behaviour. Had he 'just' been shit he'd have probably got his name chanted everytime he tripped over like Torres did.

TheReligion

Abusive
The PL is the biggest and more wealthy league in the world. It’s literally the pinnacle of the sport to the vast majority of professionals.

The pressure of playing at a one of the biggest clubs in the world as the new number 9 (United) isn’t easy and has far more scrutiny than Inter.

JPRouve

Scout
The PL is the biggest and more wealthy league in the world. It’s literally the pinnacle of the sport to the vast majority of professionals.

The pressure of playing at a one of the biggest clubs in the world as the new number 9 (United) isn’t easy and has far more scrutiny than Inter.
You are incredibly wrong on this one.

Revaulx

You’re obviously unfamiliar with life in these hot-blooded Latin places. Just look at how forgiving the United support is.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Would you say that the pressure is higher when you play for Boca Junior or West Ham?
I would honestly say West Ham. Playing for big clubs in smaller leagues has completely different pressures, climate and expectations. Boca, while having constant pressure to challenge, are extremely well versed in bringing through young players and that is part of the club culture. There is more patience, in my opinion.

The world is watching in the PL and you need to deliver immediately. The money has changed the culture of the league and increased fans expectations. Just look at Haller, as an example, who flopped at West Ham and found his confidence again at a massive CL club in a lesser league.

Even the knowledge that players who are too good will move on is changing in the PL. A team like Boca will always lose special players, almost immediately, to Europe. Whereas, in the PL, teams like Leicester, Villa and West Ham fully expect to be able to keep their best players for a long time, and they have the money to do so.

I live in South America, and even though they are fanatical about their teams, there is a lot more patience with players, and the quality of the football, than there would be with PL fans.

JPRouve

Scout
I would honestly say West Ham. Playing for big clubs in smaller leagues has completely different pressures, climate and expectations. Boca, while having constant pressure to challenge, are extremely well versed in bringing through young players and that is part of the club culture. There is more patience, in my opinion.

The world is watching in the PL and you need to deliver immediately. The money has changed the culture of the league and increased fans expectations. Just look at Haller, as an example, who flopped at West Ham and found his confidence again at a massive CL club in a lesser league.

Even the knowledge that players who are too good will move on is changing in the PL. A team like Boca will always lose special players, almost immediately, to Europe. Whereas, in the PL, teams like Leicester, Villa and West Ham fully expect to be able to keep their best players for a long time, and they have the money to do so.

I live in South America, and even though they are fanatical about their teams, there is a lot more patience with players, and the quality of the football, than there would be with PL fans.
So you think that there is more pressure in a club that has no pressure to challegend for anything and that isn't the most followed in his own town? That makes no sense, also the Haller point is fairly weak, Haller is simply not a particularly good player. And do you follow the same logic with Moyes and Real Sociedad?

And West Ham do not provide more pressure than Boca, for the reason that you mentioned only one them has a constant pressure to challenge, they are bigger club locally than West Ham which is the only thing that matter and the cultures are totally different and lot more "aggressive" and impatient in South America and South of Europe. The PL is the biggest league that is true but it's also the league that has the more distance between fans, players, it's the top league with the least atmosphere too, allegedly due to the cost of tickets which brings a different demographic to stadiums.

Irwin99

It's weird that he actually did better with us than Chelsea and that he's has left virtually every club he's played for in England with bad comments (I wanted to leave United after my second game or something to that effect) or on bad terms (other than West Brom). Seems a very oversensitive guy.

Maluco

So you think that there is more pressure in a club that has no pressure to challegend for anything and that isn't the most followed in his own town? That makes no sense, also the Haller point is fairly weak, Haller is simply not a particularly good player. And do you follow the same logic with Moyes and Real Sociedad?

And West Ham do not provide more pressure than Boca, for the reason that you mentioned only one them has a constant pressure to challenge, they are bigger club locally than West Ham which is the only thing that matter and the cultures are totally different and lot more "aggressive" and impatient in South America and South of Europe. The PL is the biggest league that is true but it's also the league that has the more distance between fans, players, it's the top league with the least atmosphere too, allegedly due to the cost of tickets which brings a different demographic to stadiums.
Yeah, but it’s a very different culture. South American calendars are absolutely full of games and lots of players get run outs in lots of competitions that often overlap. You are never far from another chance at winning something and fans get behind young players and have patience with those that have served the club well (often players who weren’t good enough for a career overseas)

They watch 60-70 games a season and a lot of those have sub-par line ups. They love their teams, but their expectations are lower for how good a players needs to be and the quality of football isn’t as high. Brazilian teams, for example, are made up of teenagers on the up, legends in their twilight and players in their 20s that weren’t good enough to play in Europe.

Memes and laughter about performances are more common than the streams of abuse PL players face.

There is passionate discussion, but players have games and time to get back into form. The culture is very different.

A team like West Ham aren’t expected to challenge, but they are expected to be up there, playing good football and challenging for Europe nowadays. Every single game is important. There are all sorts of analysis channels and press looking at every single stat of every single players in any given week. It’s immense pressure that comes when you are worth so much money and get paid such a massive salary. You need to earn it and the stats don’t let you hide when you don’t.

So yeah, I would say a Declan Rice or Jarrod Bowen faces far more scrutiny after a bad run of form than a player at Boca would. There is too much money and global interest not to.

Haller scored 34 goals last season, including 11 in the Champions League! So I thought mentioning him was worthwhile. He is a great player, but just wasn’t given the time to settle in the PL.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

I think he is talking about pressure and behavior from fans towards players, not necessarily from media or how difficult is the league.

In that aspect, i would say English fans are way better behaved than in other countries, there is more hostile behavior from fans towards players who don't deliver in Italy,Spain,Portugal,France, Argentina, Brazil, etc, even throwing projectiles (unfortunately) or doing other nasty stuff.

PL match going fans seem to be more tolerant towards players who fail, compared to other countries.

We have seen fans invading pitches in France to beat their own players, Sporting CP fans invading the dressing room to beat their own players, italian ultras sending death threats to underperforming players, etc...even in Belgium i remember some guy throwing a projectile to his own player, etc

It's undeniable that english fans are way more tolerant with their own players, which is a good thing btw.

Seij

It's weird that he actually did better with us than Chelsea and that he's has left virtually every club he's played for in England with bad comments (I wanted to leave United after my second game or something to that effect) or on bad terms (other than West Brom). Seems a very oversensitive guy.
Ya think?

Maluco

I think he is talking about pressure and behavior from fans towards players, not necessarily from media or how difficult is the league.

In that aspect, i would say English fans are way better behaved than in other countries, there is more hostile behavior from fans towards players who don't deliver in Italy,Spain,Portugal,France, Argentina, Brazil, etc, even throwing projectiles (unfortunately) or doing other nasty stuff.

PL match going fans seem to be more tolerant towards players who fail, compared to other countries.

We have seen fans invading pitches in France to beat their own players, Sporting CP fans invading the dressing room to beat their own players, italian ultras sending death threats to underperforming players, etc...even in Belgium i remember some guy throwing a projectile to his own player, etc

It's undeniable that english fans are way more tolerant with their own players, which is a good thing btw.
Yeah, fair enough if you are talking about that type of pressure and not the pressure to perform, which I would suggest is much worse here for the reasons I have stated.

But if you just take a look at forums, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit, you can see that the discussion, analysis and, yes, abuse, adds to the pressure in the Prem.

As I said, I live in SA, and there is a lot more “funny” posted than threatening about a bad performance.

I feel like that passion of match going fans manifests itself differently too, for the reasons I have outlined, but yeah, I get what points you are both making.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Haven't we just had a spate of staff being assaulted in the pitch by fans?

Pintu

It looks like Lukaku has an agreement with Inter. But it only works if he joins before June 30th. If he joins Inter after June 30th, the agreed salary becomes 20% more expensive for Inter (since they wouldn't be able to use the tax break rules).

The difficult part for Inter now is convincing Chelsea to let him go on loan. Inter currently offering Chelsea a one-year loan fee of 5M + 7 M in bonnuses.

abundance

Supports
Inter

Umm, are we talking about the same guy?

He's horrendous as a poacher and Conte's Inter used him as a target man all the time.

InfiniteBoredom

He's horrendous as a poacher and Conte's Inter used him as a target man all the time.
Schrodinger’s Lukaku.

When fans of the two clubs he had his best performance for couldn’t even agree about his strengths and weaknesses.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He scored loads with Everton by either one touch finished in and around the 6 yard box via low crosses/keeper spilling it OR receiving the ball and then running at the defence or goal. He is a target in the sense that you can give it to him to feet or through ball it to him and he can run with it using his athleticism but he’s not a traditional target man that will play with his back to goal and involve others. That’s one of his biggest weaknesses.

I just watched a video his Inter goals and there are loads of 6 yard tap ins from keeper spillages / goals where he’s running at the defence before shooting too.

Having a strike partner helps open up those spaces and opportunities for him.

Pintu

There is more pressure playing for Inter Milan than Manchester United :lol:

Some of the statements on this forum are absurd :houllier:
There is nothing laughable about that. Being a 50M+ player at United doesn’t mean much now. We are buying AWB for 50M. The club can survive missing the CL and winning nothing. The fans are now used to failure and are accepting it.

Inter can’t afford a 50M player who becomes disappointing. When they paid that money for Lukaku he was forced to deliver. They play in a lesser league, but that means they have to challenge for the title, and they know that finishing outside top 4 can lead to bankruptcy..

Charles Miller

There is more pressure playing for Inter Milan than Manchester United :lol:

Some of the statements on this forum are absurd :houllier:
Pressure is relative. You only feel the pressure of the environment you're inserted in. Gravity is stronger in saturn, but you fall to the ground due to earths gravity. One must think since United is bigger in the global stage, players are under heavier pressure, but clubs like Inter Milan are traditional giants and there is a enourmous weight over their players.

redcucumber

Is this true? You say it quite definitively, yet Série A and Ligue 1 matches are often sparse in attendance and atmosphere. The only top league that seems to be really well run from a fan's perspective is the Bundesliga. The others appear very much hit and miss.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Schrodinger’s Lukaku.

When fans of the two clubs he had his best performance for couldn’t even agree about his strengths and weaknesses.
ehehe, yeah.

One part of the issue is due to him having uneven qualities and a wide range of incomplete traits. He's good as bits of this and bits of that so he's harder than it seems to define.
Another big part is due to him misjudging his qualities as well, and stubbornly playing in a certain ineffective way in England, without much development, and then coming to Italy, in a league of overall lesser quality and with a generally different tactical/technical/athletic/tempo approach to the game, where he got a coach that truly understood what he could and could not do, and where he worked hard to refine some parts of his game that where severely lacking until then.
And then there's the part of his moody personality, his effectiveness is incredibly reliant on his overall confidence.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

That is why people turn down the EPL for their entire career to go play for their dream clubs Real Madrid or Barcelona. I am not saying the EPL is a lower league but it is not the biggest and it does not have the biggest teams. Some fans have tried to convince themselves of this about the EPL, but it does not wash.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
There is nothing laughable about that. Being a 50M+ player at United doesn’t mean much now. We are buying AWB for 50M. The club can survive missing the CL and winning nothing. The fans are now used to failure and are accepting it.

Inter can’t afford a 50M player who becomes disappointing. When they paid that money for Lukaku he was forced to deliver. They play in a lesser league, but that means they have to challenge for the title, and they know that finishing outside top 4 can lead to bankruptcy..
Lukaku wasn't just £50m+ though, he was the second most expensive player in Man United history at the time, only Pogba was more expensive.

Man United were the biggest club in England and second biggest in the world, the expectations when coming to Man United are much bigger than the expectation at Inter Milan. United are easily in the top two most talked about football clubs in the entire world.

If you or anyone thinks the pressure when playing for Inter is more than at Man United then that is fair enough and it is your opinion, but it is wrong.

redcucumber

Haven't Inter finished outside of the top 4 just as much as United since 2013? And for nine years only one team won that lesser league, with Inter rarely competing. They have been in and amongst the past few years, but before that they have been in the wilderness for a significant period of time. It's hardly the life and death scenario you have posited it as.