Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lukuku does deserve criticism for his poor record against the better teams but I wouldn't be too harsh on him for this game. He could have done better but was at a disadvantage.

Matip bullying Lukaku.
He did completely lose Matip for that 3 on 3 break where he misplaced the pass. Matip foolishly got too close. He also set up the chance for Kovacic at the end. All in all average game but hard to judge him considering circumstances

marktan

I can dribble when no one closes me down
He’s basically Heskey but one who can finish. I hope Chelsea kept the receipt.
Heskey ffs :lol:

See his two goals here from 6.50 and tell me he can't dribble. To do that at pace and finish isn't easy, very few strikers can do that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If he had hold up game like Cavani then chelsea players would be sending balls to him all the time. Unfortunately you can't rely on him in tight space. No point in wasting the pass when you are a man down.
But they knew who he was buying him, he doesn't have Cavani's hold up play

If he was completely useless to a 10-man Chelsea they should have taken him off and replaced him with a Pulisic or Werner

Mike Smalling

See his two goals here from 6.50 and tell me he can't dribble. To do that at pace and finish isn't easy, very few strikers can do that.

That's not exactly a dribbling masterclass. There is no one near him.

vodrake

Much better second half from him.
He was awful in the second half. Got bullied by the Liverpool defense and couldn't hold the ball up to save his life, meaning the ball just kept coming back at the Chelsea back line

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I thought he was very good given the circumstances actually. Would have scored a couple if Chelsea players had made the simple pass in a few counters

Dominos

People are so desparate for him to fail that they'd made their mind up on his performance before he'd even stepped on the pitch.

Of course he lossed some duels, he was playing against 2 very good centre backs in a team with 10 men who were lumping long balls to him with no support. There were also plenty examples of good hold up play, lay offs and passes. He was also in great positions to be put through on goal numerous times but was ignored.

Tony247

But they knew who he was buying him, he doesn't have Cavani's hold up play

If he was completely useless to a 10-man Chelsea they should have taken him off and replaced him with a Pulisic or Werner
I was saying exactly the same in match week thread. Should have been taken off after a man down. At least Werner can run around, press and defend.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He was awful in the second half. Got bullied by the Liverpool defense and couldn't hold the ball up to save his life, meaning the ball just kept coming back at the Chelsea back line
We watched a different game.

Skeezix

He did create some good layoffs for the few chances that Chelsea had in the second half.

Maybe my expectation was lowered due to the red card and expecting Chelsea to lose after that.

MDFC Manager

Exactly, he was a major reason why they were under pressure for most parts.

TheReligion

Abusive
You was with Havertz.... :D

He isnt a 100m pound striker no, but he will score goals, and thats all we need him for. Just score what werner would miss
Havertz was God awful under Lampard but I did accept he's coming good now and starting to justify the huge price tag.

And that's my point with Lukaku. He's nowhere near £100m and he's not been transformed into the best CF in the world whilst in Italy. He'll get goals but he'll also play like today. Terribly.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He wasn't awful today, had some good moments but also some very bad ones. He didn't look like a different player to the one he was with us, really.
Pretty much. Had a horrendous two moments which fecked up their counter in the first half, set Mount and Kovacic chances though and did manage to hold a ball on a few occasions better later on in the second half to ease a bit of pressure.

All in all, as expected. Will be solid for them and score a lot, but at the same time frustrate them with his general play. Do think Mount and Havertz could benefit from having him up.

That pointing though...

Himannv

Don't see much difference between him now and what he was when he played for us. I did like that little moment where he held up the ball and slid it past for Kovacic though - he didn't do that for us nearly enough.

RUCK4444

Today was Lukaku. No different to the player happily got rid of.

Decent against fodder but clumsy as feck and usually ineffective against better sides.

Member 101269

6 penalties, which right left right left right left

a couple of dribble

a header

Largely tap in's including bouncing of the post and off him into the net and still claiming glory FFS

He's agricultural...

Skeezix

That pointing though...
Someone close to him should tell him to stop doing that. He doesn't have to do that everytime.

He does that even when there is no clear line of sight/pass to be made. I was annoyed when he did that at United; but less so now that he no longer plays for us.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Playing 10 men is probably the worst way to judge a strikers abilities. It has only been 2 games but I have not seen the brick first touch he had with Man Utd. His hold up play, including bringing in the ball and sliding it to other players looked good. I think some people are trying to justify their preconceived ideas about him. I like what I see so far. He was the first guy to run and embrace his teammates in a defensive game after the whistle blew.

IrishRedDevil

Playing 10 men is probably the worst way to judge a strikers abilities. It has only been 2 games but I have not seen the brick first touch he had with Man Utd. His hold up play, including bringing in the ball and sliding it to other players looked good. I think some people are trying to justify their preconceived ideas about him. I like what I see so far. He was the first guy to run and embrace his teammates in a defensive game after the whistle blew.
Did you see him tripping over the ball twice?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He is good when the ball is at his best and he has to flick it first time. The moment he decides to be intricate with it, whether it's running with it or passing it, his poor technique is on display

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It has only been 2 games but I have not seen the brick first touch he had with Man Utd.
Sorry, you must have missed the game today. Just to let you know, it ended 1-1 with Reece James getting sent off in the first half for a handball. Liverpool were mostly dominant, but lacked the cutting edge to make a breakthrough.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I do agree with some of this, but there were elements today of what we all saw at united in the big games.

He will score a lot of goals for you, and some of his link up today was good but he does have some pretty poor moments still.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Did you see him tripping over the ball twice?
He lost control of the ball a few times, but if that is what you are judging him over for 90 minutes, that happens to players all the time. Like I said, I am happy with him so far. It has been two games and one turned into a grind for a point.

The Purley King

I’m sorry but what professional footballer in the top 4 leagues in England regularly trips over the ball whilst dribbling it.
Clue = not that many and the ones that do don’t cost £100m