Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yep. There's no way this does not end up getting bumped every single time one player has a good weekend or one had a bad game.
That's inevitable.

Fair to assume the media will approach the situation in exactly the same manner. The tedium.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not so sure about that. I think they sold him to Chelsea for less than we offered. If we didn't want him, why'd we make a final offer (according to the respected Di Marzio) just 12 hours before striking a deal for Rom?
Surely if we were rating him higher than Lukaku we would've offered more to Real.

Even if they sold him for less than we offered to Chelsea it won't make sense to not sell him for what we've paid for Lukaku.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Morata not too impressive so far in pre-season and there's even talk that Conte could go with Batshite as the striker (possibly Morata behind?). Conte after the Inter friendly:

"Morata is having training with us and for sure he has to improve a lot his physical condition to go quickly to the idea of our football,’ he added, ‘but he is working very well and today he tried to do his best but for sure he has to improve.”

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Morata was never Conte's first choice. This is obvious. I think he will do okay at Chelsea but he won't score as many goals as Lukaku.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Bump. Both had good performances but if we are keeping score goals wise - Lukaku leads 2 to 1.:D

RedCurry

Morata did well to be fair. He showed for the ball a lot more than Batshuayi.

I've always maintained that Lukaku and Morata are very similar players. They are both target men with some unique skill set. Both of Morata's goal and assist were proper target man stuff. I mean that in a positive way.

I preferred Lukaku though for his directness and experience as a main striker in PL. I think he will be more of a leader for us.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lukaku has 3 goals. Super Cup goals are official goals.

Albeit, Morata has played a game less and also set up an assist. :)

Pass and Move

Morata was playing with only 8 team mates. That multiplies his goal by 3 as everyone knows. Morata 3, Lukaku 2.
If a Chelsea player scores there's a 1 in 9 chance it's Morata, Lukaku's was 1 in 11, tougher odds, ergo, his goals are worth more. We win.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If a Chelsea player scores there's a 1 in 9 chance it's Morata, Lukaku's was 1 in 11, tougher odds, ergo, his goals are worth more. We win.
That is a good point. However, the true count is "goals multiplied by assists" . Morata is 1 x 1 = 1. Lukaku is 2 x 0 = 0.

Maybe too early to call him a flop but he's a flop.

Shark

@NotShark
Morata will score nicer goals, but Lukaku will score more goals. That's the way I see it.

JG3001

Lukaku will score a variety of goals -- I'd rather that than nicer goals.
Excluding own goals obviously, there's no such thing as a bad goal. He can score tap ins for all I care, Van Nistelrooy proved that, in scoring, quantity is better than quality. Which to be fair should always be the case in football anyway.

Super Chops

Supports
Everton

I've always maintained that Lukaku and Morata are very similar players. They are both target men with some unique skill set. Both of Morata's goal and assist were proper target man stuff. I mean that in a positive way.

I preferred Lukaku though for his directness and experience as a main striker in PL. I think he will be more of a leader for us.
Lukaku isn't a target man. He's getting better at holding the ball up and playing with his back to goal but he's much better facing toward goal than away from it, and he's at his best when he can run onto through balls into the box. He should be a target man because of his size and strength but he plays much more like a Torres than a Heskey.

MJJ

That is a good point. However, the true count is "goals multiplied by assists" . Morata is 1 x 1 = 1. Lukaku is 2 x 0 = 0.

Maybe too early to call him a flop but he's a flop.
Winning the game adds an extra three points though so it ends up being morata 1 and Lukaku 3.

RedCurry

Lukaku isn't a target man. He's getting better at holding the ball up and playing with his back to goal but he's much better facing toward goal than away from it, and he's at his best when he can run onto through balls into the box. He should be a target man because of his size and strength but he plays much more like a Torres than a Heskey.
In my opinion Torres was a target man as well. The way I understand the term, a target man plays inside the box or just outside depending on the phase of play. A striker who is always an option for wide men to whip in a cross or midfielders to bounce off the ball for a quick one two inside the box. A player who occupies centre backs. Holding the play is a part of it too but not all of it.

snk123

Not sure if anyone has used this term this season but not signing Morata was a blessing in disguise surely :p

Denis79

Lukaku is not a target man type striker it's his size that fools people in to thinking that. He is far better running in channels behind the opposition defence and positioning.

RedCurry

Lukaku is not a target man type striker it's his size that fools people in to thinking that. He is far better running in channels behind the opposition defence and positioning.
Target men run channels too. What is this notion that they just stand there and head the ball? Those are just bad target men like Andy Caroll. Target men are strikers who will be available inside the box for midfielders and wingers to target at least that's my understanding. Holding the ball is a single part of this which Lukaku can improve on. Actually his holding ability isn't bad, but often at Everton he tried to dribble or turn towards goal when the easier option would have been to just wait for his team to arrive.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Bump. Both had good performances but if we are keeping score goals wise - Lukaku leads 2 to 1.:D
Morata also played for 15 minutes. Goal and assist in 15 minutes compared to the full game for Lukaku. Since were keeping tabs lets be fair to both players ffs.

Denis79

Target men run channels too. What is this notion that they just stand there and head the ball? Those are just bad target men like Andy Caroll. Target men are strikers who will be available inside the box for midfielders and wingers to target at least that's my understanding. Holding the ball is a single part of this which Lukaku can improve on. Actually his holding ability isn't bad, but often at Everton he tried to dribble or turn towards goal when the easier option would have been to just wait for his team to arrive.
A target man in my opinion is what the words imply, a player you try to get the ball to as fast as possible while in attack, it can be long balls, on the ground etc.. Usually theese players move deeper down the field and preferably have a good first touch to glue the ball and a good vision and technique to continue the attack through a pass, flick on etc to other offensive players ( Not Lukakus strengths in my opinion ). Sometimes they finish the attacks but it's not their primary objective.

Usually target men accumulate alot of assists because of their role, Romelu has scored 87 goals in his premier league career and has 28 assists which in my opinion shows he's a finisher and not the "playmaker". And looking at his heatmaps and runs you see he likes to move in line with the offside and not infront of the defenders waiting for the ball. It's like saying Inzaghi was a target man just because his team-mates passed him the ball while he was running in channels. I'm not in any way stating any facts just my opinion on the defenition of a target-man. Altough I agree Morata fits the role of a target-man but not Lukaku. Lukaku for me is a physical pure nr 9 type player. He does what we needed the most this season, he puts the ball in the back of the net.

Todays game was a perfect example of his movement. Because of his movement close to their back 4 he created space for our other attacking players because they were busy adjusting to his positions. He moved like RVN used to do, who in my opinion is one of the best pure strikers we ever had.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Morata was playing with only 8 team mates. That multiplies his goal by 3 as everyone knows. Morata 3, Lukaku 2.
Would love if next game he scores 3 again with this 8 team mates ratio.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This obsession with individuals I find strange. I'd take Morata scoring shit loads more than Lukaku if it meant that we win the league.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
This obsession with individuals I find strange. I'd take Morata scoring shit loads more than Lukaku if it meant that we win the league.
You find football fans talking about football players on a football forum a little strange?

NoPace

Batshuayi looked terrible and Willian looked incredible, and if he beats out Pedro, that will help the 9 score more goals (Pedro the better scorer, Willian the better creator). Morata is going to score 25 this year.

AgentP

Didnt we have a Di Maria vs Sanchez topic once.... that didnt end well did it?
We also had a Herrera vs Kante thread. Kante went on to win Player of the year. These threads don't work out well for us.