Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Lukaku tends to be a regular goal scorer so will fair well in these comparisons. However, it might be a month or so early to compare him to newly arrived Morata. Weekend 1...

ike

it's still early but I figure i'd bump this to the top and see if any opinions have changed yet. :D

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its not even close at the moment. Though everyone knew lukaku was more the finished product and morata was more unproven with space to grow.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Comparing after two games isn't exactly a wise thing to do.
Im saying in terms of their careers to this day. Lukaku is years ahead in his development, morata hasnt ever been more then a sub player. Morata has potential and will grow a lot as a player, theres no doubt there, but for their current level, lukaku is without a shadow of doubt ahead of him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Im saying in terms of their careers to this day. Lukaku is years ahead in his development, morata hasnt ever been more then a sub player. Morata has potential and will grow a lot as a player, theres no doubt there, but for their current level, lukaku is without a shadow of doubt ahead of him.
Lukaku is off to a great start 3 goals in 180 minutes. Morata is off to a decent start 1 goal in 100 minutes, in a new league, new country etc. There's really not much between them other than the fact that one plays for us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lukaku is off to a great start 3 goals in 180 minutes. Morata is off to a decent start 1 goal in 100 minutes, in a new league, new country etc. There's really not much between them other than the fact that one plays for us.
Lukaku is 4 goals in 3 games as Super Cup had professional status.

Ainu

Morata may still turn out to be a very good player for Chelsea but he doesn't look very suited to the role they want him to play. I think it would've been a similar story here at United. Regardless of who's better, Lukaku looks a better fit for us and I think he would've been a better fit for Chelsea as well. You can see why both clubs were after him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Morata may still turn out to be a very good player for Chelsea but he doesn't look very suited to the role they want him to play. I think it would've been a similar story here at United. Regardless of who's better, Lukaku looks a better fit for us and I think he would've been a better fit for Chelsea as well. You can see why both clubs were after him.
Probably. But how long will it take for moratta to settle?

In a tight race as a lone striker that bedding period could be the difference between winner and 3rd.

OneUnited24

Agreed. I think lukaku is simply a more complete striker / target man. That's not to say morata is bad player but I think he needs to play behind a target man. That's not to say he's a number 10 but I see him as a striker who would benefit from having someone in front of him knocking the ball down to him. Basically I see him as someone who needs the ball player to feet.

Maybe he can lead the line or learn to do it but I'm not too sure. with the way Chelsea play I thought it was a odd fit and so far I stand by it.

Sterling Archer

Rom is a PL beast, whereas Morata looks somewhat soft in comparison.

Chelsea look blunt with him up front.
It was going to be tough to replace the presence that Costa brought them. Morata is not the answer for them. He will not be successful as a like for like but if they change the way their attack is focused he might be. Thus far, it doesn't seem that way and Morata has come off looking pretty shoddy as a result. Maybe just having Hazard back will help.

stepic

bit unfair to criticise mortar too much from todays game, it was such a defensive line up. he will do better with hazard and even fabregas back.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I think he was one of their better players today but he was very isolated. He should've scored that chance though early in the game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Come May we'll wonder why this was even a thread

AshRK

Too early to come to conclusion but morata hardly look imposing like costa. He has pace but his hold up play today was bad and the strange part was I never imagined him being lethargic but today on many occasions he was just standing rather than getting involved in the play.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Too early to come to conclusion but morata hardly look imposing like costa. He has pace but his hold up play today was bad and the strange part was I never imagined him being lethargic but today on many occasions he was just standing rather than getting involved in the play.
Bit harsh IMO. Very tough ask to hold the ball up against 3 CBs, especially as Willian was very poor for me and Morata was totally isolated. In addition, Morata made several excellent runs but Willian failed to even attempt to pass him the ball, which was part of the reason why he was so tired. Once Hazard is back and/or Cesc comes into the team, he'll improve a lot I'd expect. He obviously should have buried that header though.

Conte's system asks a lot of the lone striker so Morata definitely has a lot to learn, and he has to improve his fitness as well. From what I've seen though his class is apparent.

AshRK

Bit harsh IMO. Very tough ask to hold the ball up against 3 CBs, especially as Willian was very poor for me and Morata was totally isolated. In addition, Morata made several excellent runs but Willian failed to even attempt to pass him the ball, which was part of the reason why he was so tired. Once Hazard is back and/or Cesc comes into the team, he'll improve a lot I'd expect. He obviously should have buried that header though.

Conte's system asks a lot of the lone striker so Morata definitely has a lot to learn, and he has to improve his fitness as well. From what I've seen though his class is apparent.
No doubt about his talent, a top player but I don't know is he can replace costa or do a role costa was doing (which was tremendous). Also, after seeing morata today, I don't think it's fair to compare him with lukaku as both are different type of players but as of now lukaku is a proper number 9 who will get you goals where as morata is more of a skillful forward who may not shine as a lone number 9.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No doubt about his talent, a top player but I don't know is he can replace costa or do a role costa was doing (which was tremendous). Also, after seeing morata today, I don't think it's fair to compare him with lukaku as both are different type of players but as of now lukaku is a proper number 9 who will get you goals where as morata is more of a skillful forward who may not shine as a lone number 9.
Yeah, it's why I think the switch to 3-5-1-1 was interesting and could see it going forward. Getting another player close to Morata for him to link up with might be key to unlocking his potential, and in addition it'd allow for Cesc to play, sit deep, and unlock defenses in the Pirlo role. It'll be interesting to see how Conte moulds Morata one way or the other and/or what sorts of adjustments he makes to the team shape for this season.

AshRK

Yeah, it's why I think the switch to 3-5-1-1 was interesting and could see it going forward. Getting another player close to Morata for him to link up with might be key to unlocking his potential, and in addition it'd allow for Cesc to play, sit deep, and unlock defenses in the Pirlo role. It'll be interesting to see how Conte moulds Morata one way or the other and/or what sorts of adjustments he makes to the team shape for this season.
It may sound funny but morata's perfect partner would have been lukaku. Morata likes to roam and I unfortunately don't see him bullying defenders, he would do extremely well if he has a proper number 9 like lukaku or costa.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It may sound funny but morata's perfect partner would have been lukaku. Morata likes to roam and I unfortunately don't see him bullying defenders, he would do extremely well if he has a proper number 9 like lukaku or costa.
Yeah I could see that. His time in Madrid definitely taught him to play wide at times; in particular he likes to drift to the left to fill the gap that Ronaldo would naturally leave there. Hazard has a tendency to do the same sort of outside to in movement as Ronaldo so they may work together well also. He's certainly a much more willing passer than Willian; I can't imagine how frustrated Morata must have been. At one point he was in about 10 yards of space with a full head of steam and still didn't get the ball.

TsuWave

#FraudWatch will be very interesting this year

Lukaku missed pen
Morata with a goal and assist
Lacazette watching Welbeck from the bench

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Sorry but I disagree, and goals must be weighed not only counted, a hat-trick against Burnley is not worth a goal in a CL semifinal.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sorry but I disagree, and goals must be weighed not only counted, a hat-trick against Burnley is not worth a goal in a CL semifinal.
I'm sure when Morata is an old man and is showing his grandkids his Serie A winners medals, his La Liga winners medals and his Champions League Medals he'll say "yes, these are nice but I wish I could have played 40 plus games a season for West Brom and Everton instead, then I might have developed more".

Overall Morata lost the ball a lot today, too much for my liking. But just like with Lukaku and people criticizing him for his all around play, he's a striker whose job is to score goals. Got an assist as well. Can't argue with that. Very glad we got Lukaku, been wanting him at United for a while but Morata is undeniably quality.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Good game for him, hope he picks up from here.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Overall I'd say Lukaku has looked better in terms of acting as a focal point for an attack; it makes sense since Morata has been used to playing alongside Ronaldo et al. Hazard coming back will help Morata a lot but what is encouraging is that he looks very comfortable in terms of his physicality and he seems to be adjusting well. He needs to improve in terms of his hold-up play and there have been one or two occasions per game where he hasn't fully synced up with his teammates in terms of the direction/timing of his runs, but this will come with time.

Early days obviously but I've seen nothing that would suggest that both teams shouldn't be thrilled with the players they've wound up with. Although I do think Lukaku is the better of the two in a vacuum and has the higher ceiling just due to his physical tools, I'd say Morata is a slightly better fit for Chelsea's system as I think he has an edge when it comes to passing and his ability to bring teammates into the game.

AshfordLad

Absolutely nothing between the two for the moment. While Morata still looks like he has some adapting left to be done, Lukaku on the other hand still has the more obvious flaw that can be fixed.

Didn't expect Morata to have such a cracking start to the season and this is without Hazard and Fabregas on the pitch for most of the time.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nothing between them. Quality players.

Walters_19_MuFc

If im being honest, I didnt think Morata would start as well as he has done, but he's been brilliant.

Roms start, on the other hand, hasnt surprised me. He's scored goals everywhere he's been. No reason why that would stop here.

Be interesting to see who scores more, with both currently on 6.

Two fantastic complete strikers.