Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I think they are different types of player so direct comparisons are not necessarily helpful. Both on 7 PL goals currently.

I also think the right service is not being delivered to Lukaku, surprised Mata didn't play yesterday as he links up well.

I think Morata is the better all round player though he has gone missing on the odd game still unlike Costa he is not getting booked every other match.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Alvaro Morata has had a hand in 10 goals in his opening 10 PL games for Chelsea (7 goals, 3 assists) - the 2nd-most in the club's history

Been an incredible signing so far. We haven't missed Costa one bit which is surprising due to how good he was for us

Martial

Both Lukaku and Morata are on 7 goals and 3 assists after Matchday 11 in the Premier League.

Will be interesting to see how these stats develop over the season. Both have been fantastic overall so far this season.

I Am Zlatan

I dunno how the defence just split like the Red Sea that way. Where was Smalling running to? I think Smalling joining the Bailly/Jones partnership did more harm than good.
What’s crazy is that earlier in the game something similar happened, (I don’t remember exactly if bakayoko got the ball or was open like that but never got the ball) and I was thinking wow, that would’ve been bad, surely they should’ve focused more on staying compact, that was warning sign, but they kept splitting, it had to be the tactic that one of our CB had to press/mark Hazard.

I would’ve instructed the fullbacks to tuck in, in that cased, and had one of the mids to cover for the fullback and another mid to replace the shifted mid, obviously it’ll be very hard to coordinate and execute in such quick time, but CBs we’re getting dragged all over the place..

Sylar

I think were losing one of Lukakus strengths because of the fact we cant cross the ball. It doesnt even have to be perfect crosses. We are unable to put it into the danger area for him to go and attack.
The odd occasion we do get it right, like Lingard(?) for him against Spurs which he was unlucky to hit the post.

I do think Lukaku could have done better yesterday, the ball did bounce of him a few times and put Chelsea back in control, but it certainly didnt help him or our midfield having Mkhi as the buffer between the two.
Also think Lukaku is missing the early quick ball to him that Pogba was providing earlier in the season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Morata by a wide margin. He shows up far more often against the big clubs. Lukaku us good but really depends on the service of others (kinda like Ronaldo) whereas Morata is clutch and is one hell of a finisher.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's interesting how one goal (a good one, but Sam Vokes would have scored that as well) can change the perception of a player.
To me, both have been good, solid and both have not disappointed. But if they don't improve further, I will not consider either of them a top signing.
What I like about Lukaku is that to me he seems to be a more effective player if your aim is to win the league.Morata is definitely more of a flair player, but I am still not convinced with regard to the league.

Shark

@NotShark
Morata by a wide margin. He shows up far more often against the big clubs. Lukaku us good but really depends on the service of others (kinda like Ronaldo) whereas Morata is clutch and is one hell of a finisher.
Are you talking about the current Ronaldo?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Are you talking about the current Ronaldo?
Yes, he’s good but has always relied on the service of others to get going. When his team doesn’t play well, he doesn’t play well (see this season so far). His midfield is the engine that feeds him the ball, if his midfield is out of form Ronaldo becomes neutralized.

AshRK

Although that header was a peach but he did miss some easy chances, so one hell of a finisher I doubt.

James Peril

Both Lukaku and Morata are on 7 goals and 3 assists after Matchday 11 in the Premier League.

Will be interesting to see how these stats develop over the season. Both have been fantastic overall so far this season.
Lukaku has not been fantastic overall this season, get a grip with the superlatives. He has scored an OK amount of goals in the league, which averages to around 24 if he keeps the same ratio. 24 goals as the one and only United-striker, when your only big asset is scoring goals, is good - not fantastic. Is it good enough considering he does very little else on the pitch? Remains to be concluded. Right now I would not mins him being benched for Martial/Rashford, and many certainly would like to see Zlatan back in the team, hence «fantastic» is probably what he isn’t

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It's interesting how one goal (a good one, but Sam Vokes would have scored that as well) can change the perception of a player.
To me, both have been good, solid and both have not disappointed. But if they don't improve further, I will not consider either of them a top signing.
What I like about Lukaku is that to me he seems to be a more effective player if your aim is to win the league.Morata is definitely more of a flair player, but I am still not convinced with regard to the league.
How is a poorer allround player "more effective for winning the league"? What is your reasoning for saying such a thing?

whatwha

Lukaku has not been fantastic overall this season, get a grip with the superlatives. He has scored an OK amount of goals in the league, which averages to around 24 if he keeps the same ratio. 24 goals as the one and only United-striker, when your only big asset is scoring goals, is good - not fantastic. Is it good enough considering he does very little else on the pitch? Remains to be concluded. Right now I would not mins him being benched for Martial/Rashford, and many certainly would like to see Zlatan back in the team, hence «fantastic» is probably what he isn’t
Truth.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Same here. He is a good striker, good finisher but his overall game has been poor. He is dangerous when he runs from the channles but he also has serious limitations (first touch being one).

For me, so far, he has been 7/10 striker. Calling him fantastic is too much.

OneUnited24

Is this the same Morata who tripped over his own feet twice when he got into good positions? Or the same Morata who failed to make any impact against Arsenal and Watford at home where he was subbed?

I get it, he scored against us and looked a threat so we obviously got the wrong player but some need to get a grip.
While i agree that hes not been amazing, his build up play hasnt been great but his goal numbers have been. I believe hes been more harshly treated than other people in the squad. Lukuku has suffered greatly from the lack of form and chances of the players around him. Funny enough, even through his drought whenever hes been on the ball i feel like something might happen.

Problem is in Jose system he has to be the focal point and if hes not getting service he looks wasted.

RooneyLegend

Lukaku is a poacher, the biggest one there is. He's poor with the ball at his feet so it's not the best of ideas to have him playing upfront alone. If we have a bad game he's likely to do the same. So how about we stop having those sorts of games? Morata is the better footballer but struggles with finishing with his feet and is far from a clean striker of the ball. He's impressive aerially though.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
How is a poorer allround player "more effective for winning the league"? What is your reasoning for saying such a thing?
I did not call him poorer. If you look at Shearer, he was not the best player technically. But the most effective and Lukaku could get there in terms of effectiveness.
His first season at Man Utd has been good, but he's had a fantastic career thus far.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Is this the same Morata who tripped over his own feet twice when he got into good positions? Or the same Morata who failed to make any impact against Arsenal and Watford at home where he was subbed?

I get it, he scored against us and looked a threat so we obviously got the wrong player but some need to get a grip.

While i agree that hes not been amazing, his build up play hasnt been great but his goal numbers have been. I believe hes been more harshly treated than other people in the squad. Lukuku has suffered greatly from the lack of form and chances of the players around him. Funny enough, even through his drought whenever hes been on the ball i feel like something might happen.

Problem is in Jose system he has to be the focal point and if hes not getting service he looks wasted.
It’s the same morata who scored a goal against Madrid to send them into the finals and gotten them an extra 9 points with late goals off the bench last season.

Just about every team in the PL would take Morata over Lukaku. Morata has far better games against the top 6 than Lukaku

Ban

It’s the same morata who scored a goal against Madrid to send them into the finals and gotten them an extra 9 points with late goals off the bench last season.

Just about every team in the PL would take Morata over Lukaku. Morata has far better games against the top 6 than Lukaku
How many games vs top 6 has Morata had?

OneUnited24

Lukaka scored against Madrid this season and caused them some problems. If your argument relies on last season can i point to the countless goals Lukaku got for Everton? I'm too lazy to check but feel confident in saying that he probably contributed to more points for Everton.

Morata has played vs us, City, Asnl and Tottenham. Against Asnl and City he barely got into the game. Against Tottenham he missed a sitter. Fair play he scored against us but you have to question our defending.

Lukaku hasnt scored against any of the big boys (aside from Madrid) but he did get the assist against Tottenham which secured us the points.

I'm sure this debate will go on until the end of the season but on Sunday Morata had Hazard and Cesc supporting him. Lukaku had Mikhi and Rashford. I wonder how Lukaku would have fared in Moratas position.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Lukaka scored against Madrid this season and caused them some problems. If your argument relies on last season can i point to the countless goals Lukaku got for Everton? I'm too lazy to check but feel confident in saying that he probably contributed to more points for Everton.

Morata has played vs us, City, Asnl and Tottenham. Against Asnl and City he barely got into the game. Against Tottenham he missed a sitter. Fair play he scored against us but you have to question our defending.

Lukaku hasnt scored against any of the big boys (aside from Madrid) but he did get the assist against Tottenham which secured us the points.

I'm sure this debate will go on until the end of the season but on Sunday Morata had Hazard and Cesc supporting him. Lukaku had Mikhi and Rashford. I wonder how Lukaku would have fared in Moratas position.

Morata scored against the best defense in the PL, he's also scored in massive CL games. And was HUGE in securing crucial points for Madrid last season as well. They're missing him badly this season. Lukaku's goal against Madrid was in preseason.

I do agree with you that Morata has much better service from Chelsea's midfield than what Lukaku gets though.

OneUnited24

Morata scored against the best defense in the PL, he's also scored in massive CL games. And was HUGE in securing crucial points for Madrid last season as well. They're missing him badly this season. Lukaku's goal against Madrid was in preseason.

I do agree with you that Morata has much better service from Chelsea's midfield than what Lukaku gets though.
Hardly a fair comparison when Lukaku hasnt played in the UCL before this season.

Also you keep saying that Morata secured crucial points for Madrid last season but seem to wash over Lukakus achievements last season... Agenda much?

gibers

Not sure what some people are on about here. Lukaku was never going to come here and dominate defences. People seem to think because he is big and black he is some sort of Drogba but he isn't. Lukaku is at worst a box player, and he isn't even that great aerially. He needs either a lot of space to run into or balls whipped in. He relies on service. If he gets chances fine but if he doesn't then you can't blame him when he is facing 3 defenders and the closest player is 20 m ffs.

Morata is the superior player, has more to his game, better in combinations, better in the air and better away from the box. finishing maybe I could say Lukaku is slightly ahead even if by a tiny margin but that's about it. With the way we set up, Lukaku won't thrive,

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
You're starting to see the lukaku we at Everton got. Scores a lot of goals but he's very erratic in his other play. I think people who don't watch him all the time assume he's very physical, great in the air and good with his back to goal. The reality is he's none of these things most of the time
He'll score you a lot of goals but the reality is for a club of your wealth you can afford to buy someone who will get the goals and contribute much more in the build up too.

Unless he gets an outlandish amount (40-50) they'll always be a debate to his worth as he'll never quite contribute enough elsewhere to make him a great player.

Too good for Everton..... not quite good enough for a side that can take their pick.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure what some people are on about here. Lukaku was never going to come here and dominate defences. People seem to think because he is big and black he is some sort of Drogba but he isn't. Lukaku is at worst a box player, and he isn't even that great aerially. He needs either a lot of space to run into or balls whipped in. He relies on service. If he gets chances fine but if he doesn't then you can't blame him when he is facing 3 defenders and the closest player is 20 m ffs.

Morata is the superior player, has more to his game, better in combinations, better in the air and better away from the box. finishing maybe I could say Lukaku is slightly ahead even if by a tiny margin but that's about it. With the way we set up, Lukaku won't thrive,
Right on the money, Morata is definitely the superior player.

RedCurry

Don't you think your praise for Morata is a bit OTT? Chelsea's last attack ended with Morata having a free run at the goal keeper and tripped over his own feet. 'One hell of a finisher' would finish a chance like that.

OneUnited24

You're starting to see the lukaku we at Everton got. Scores a lot of goals but he's very erratic in his other play. I think people who don't watch him all the time assume he's very physical, great in the air and good with his back to goal. The reality is he's none of these things most of the time
He'll score you a lot of goals but the reality is for a club of your wealth you can afford to buy someone who will get the goals and contribute much more in the build up too.

Unless he gets an outlandish amount (40-50) they'll always be a debate to his worth as he'll never quite contribute enough elsewhere to make him a great player.

Too good for Everton..... not quite good enough for a side that can take their pick.
But hes only 24. Drogba had just started playing in the top division in France at that age! I get what you're saying about his erratic nature but at 24 hes hardly the final article. I personally think strikers get into their prime around 26/27. If Lukaku doesnt improve on what he currently offers for the next 2-3 seasons then i'll be massively disappointed.

Ban

You haven't answered how many top 6 games did morata play to claim he has had far better games vs top 6?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You haven't answered how many top 6 games did morata play to claim he has had far better games vs top 6?
He's had 2, Arsenal and United and scored against United. Lukaku had a pretty poor record vs the top 6 last year when playing for Everton, while Morata was scoring in the later stages of UCL. Morata has historically been more clutch than Lukaku.

Long way to go in the season, but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Morata is the better player as others in this thread have also suggested.

I can't post anymore until midnight UK time as I'm new to posting (registered in 2014 but mostly lurked here and there until recently). I can respond again in 3 hours.

Ban

He's had 2, Arsenal and United and scored against United. Lukaku had a pretty poor record vs the top 6 last year when playing for Everton, while Morata was scoring in the later stages of UCL. Morata has historically been more clutch than Lukaku.

Long way to go in the season, but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Morata is the better player as others in this thread have also suggested.

I can't post anymore until midnight UK time as I'm new to posting (registered in 2014 but mostly lurked here and there until recently). I can respond again in 3 hours.
Ok so just 2 games. Concerning top 6 games.
And as other poster said its unfair to compare their UCL campaign since Lukaku.. well. never played in UCL till this season.

AshfordLad

But hes only 24. Drogba had just started playing in the top division in France at that age! I get what you're saying about his erratic nature but at 24 hes hardly the final article. I personally think strikers get into their prime around 26/27. If Lukaku doesnt improve on what he currently offers for the next 2-3 seasons then i'll be massively disappointed.
You cant compare him to the likes of Drogba and Costa who started their careers much later than Lukaku. Don't think he will improve his game too much from here but might improve his consistency which would still be a plus. On the other hand he has substantial mileage on him already so he will likely finish up early like Rooney too.

OneUnited24

You cant compare him to the likes of Drogba and Costa who started their careers much later than Lukaku. Don't think he will improve his game too much from here but might improve his consistency which would still be a plus. On the other hand he has substantial mileage on him already so he will likely finish up early like Rooney too.
Rooney decline was in part down to his lifestyle. Lukaku doesn’t drink and from what I’ve hear keeps himself in good shape. Also his Movement and hold up play aren’t nearly as bad as people here make out. Never the less I believe these attributes will get better with better coaching and playing with better players

whatwha

I did not call him poorer. If you look at Shearer, he was not the best player technically. But the most effective and Lukaku could get there in terms of effectiveness.
His first season at Man Utd has been good, but he's had a fantastic career thus far.
He has not had a fantastic career thus far. Fantastic early careers are what Brazilian Ronaldo, Messi, etc, had.

lem8sh

By 24 Drogba had played 83 club games if my maths are correct. Lukaku - 334.

Mike09

Yes, he’s good but has always relied on the service of others to get going. When his team doesn’t play well, he doesn’t play well (see this season so far). His midfield is the engine that feeds him the ball, if his midfield is out of form Ronaldo becomes neutralized.
You are only saying that because that's how Zidane is using Ronaldo right now. Overall ability 32 years old Ronaldo is still far superior than Lukaku, Lukaku has a limit in his ability for not relying on the service.

Look at what Ronaldo can do in Portugal national team. Lack of service and there is times when the national team is playing poor, but Ronaldo is still holding a vital role for his national team.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You are only saying that because that's how Zidane is using Ronaldo right now. Overall ability 32 years old Ronaldo is still far superior than Lukaku, Lukaku has a limit in his ability for not relying on the service.

Look at what Ronaldo can do in Portugal national team. Lack of service and there is times when the national team is playing poor, but Ronaldo is still holding a vital role for his national team.

Ronaldo is obviously better than Lukaku but the Portugal team is a bad example. They won a Euro final without him, Pepe was just as important to the national team as Ronaldo was. Portugal’s defense was immense in the euro’s

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Why are people comparing Ronaldo to Lukaku?

Ronaldo is one of the GOAT's while Lukaku can "vary" from Emilee Heskey to a good striker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Not really. He scored 4 goals in 11 games playing for Everton is a good record. He scored as many goals as Kane and more than aguero against top 6 in last 2 seasons.