Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

Mike09

Ronaldo is obviously better than Lukaku but the Portugal team is a bad example. They won a Euro final without him, Pepe was just as important to the national team as Ronaldo was. Portugal’s defense was immense in the euro’s
They reached final thanks to him.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why are people comparing Ronaldo to Lukaku?

Ronaldo is one of the GOAT's while Lukaku can "vary" from Emilee Heskey to a good striker.
They’re both poachers at this point, that’s all. Ronaldo is obviously better and Lukaku hopefully hasn’t leaked yet but they both heavily rely on the service of others to get them going.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not really. He scored three goals, two of which came in the one game, and finished up with the same number as Nani.
And they only qualified because they expanded on the rules to allow 3 teams from each group to advance, Portugal got into the easiest bracket in euro history as well. You get the trophy however you can get it btnorobsbly the most unremarkable international winner since Greece 2004

RooneyLegend

We all knew Lukaku was poor on the ball before we signed him, we obviously should then build the team to compensate for that. Remember how Bayern never played through Gomes when he was there? That's how we need to approach this. One thing i'd like to see him improve though is his finishing on his weaker foot, it's so frustrating to see him get a chance on that side and be convinced long before it gets to him that he isn't going to score. When a player is as poor as he is on the ball making him an integral part of the build up is nothing short of foolishness. We managed to compensate for Cheech's weaknesses not so long ago, its what we should be doing now.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
And they only qualified because they expanded on the rules to allow 3 teams from each group to advance, Portugal got into the easiest bracket in euro history as well. You get the trophy however you can get it btnorobsbly the most unremarkable international winner since Greece 2004
Greece Euro '04 was more impressive. They're in a group contained Portugal, Spain and Russia.
Beat France, Czech Rep. and Portugal in KOs stage.

Reactions: Varun

Mike09

Not really. He scored three goals, two of which came in the one game, and finished up with the same number as Nani.
But one of them was the most important game which they need goals and must score goals in order to stay in the competition which is against Hungary when he scored 2 goals and made 1 assist. If they relied on their defense only and hoping for 0-0 draw again they won't make it to the next round.

Even the other game when he made one goal and one assist was also important since it was in semi final.

redahair

Not sure what some people are on about here. Lukaku was never going to come here and dominate defences. People seem to think because he is big and black he is some sort of Drogba but he isn't. Lukaku is at worst a box player, and he isn't even that great aerially. He needs either a lot of space to run into or balls whipped in. He relies on service. If he gets chances fine but if he doesn't then you can't blame him when he is facing 3 defenders and the closest player is 20 m ffs.

Morata is the superior player, has more to his game, better in combinations, better in the air and better away from the box. finishing maybe I could say Lukaku is slightly ahead even if by a tiny margin but that's about it. With the way we set up, Lukaku won't thrive,
Peter crouch would be a good fit for us sign him in jan.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Alvaro Morata has won more points with his goals & assists in the Premier League this season than any other player (8)...

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Both started brightly and have dropped off in form recently. Not sure what it is?

Difference I think is when Morata is not scoring which he hasn't been late, he has still offered a lot in the games and still looked sharp. Whereas if Lukaku isn't scoring then he there isn't much point him being on.

Lukaku is also yet to score a goal against a big team so far this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Both started brightly and have dropped off in form recently. Not sure what it is?

Difference I think is when Morata is not scoring which he hasn't been late, he has still offered a lot in the games and still looked sharp. Whereas if Lukaku isn't scoring then he there isn't much point him being on.

No. It's completely wrong. Lukaku apart from City game contributed well even though he didn't score.

Zoo

He didn't score against Arsenal but played a crucial role in two of the goals.

saivet

My preference was and still is Lukaku but I feel we needed a striker and realistically these were the best two we could have got. I think not going for either would have left us short and banking on someone like Kane being available next summer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

You don't consider Real Madrid a big team?

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
You don't consider Real Madrid a big team?
No I don't consider glorified friendly's as real games though. It doesn't make a different what the player can deliver in pre season when there is minimal pressure if they then show a tendency to produce there worst performances in the most pressured games.

NJM78

Morata clearly a more gifted and intelligent player. Both have decent seasons stat wise but Morata clearly playing the better as Lukaku is rivaling Benteke right now for terribleness.

SuperiorXI

He's struggling because we're not creating enough chances for him. Fair enough he didn't bury the chance last night, but name me a striker who scores at every opportunity???

Zoo

Morata clearly a more gifted and intelligent player. Both have decent seasons stat wise but Morata clearly playing the better as Lukaku is rivaling Benteke right now for terribleness.
Morata missed two huge chances this week which ended any slim title hopes and meant they’ve drawn a tough team in the CL (Barca).

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its because players rarely score consistently over an entire season. Goals come in small spurts here and there. Both will wind up with 30 goals in all comps imo.

NJM78

Morata missed two huge chances this week which ended any slim title hopes and meant they’ve drawn a tough team in the CL (Barca).
He did but I still watch him and he looks more confident, his touch and passing range are all very good, obviously he has played and trained the majority of his career with better players than Lukaku has which plays a factor. Both on top form I believe Lukaku would score more but as footballers there is only one winner for me. With better players around Lukaku like an orthodox winger and a player like Ozil he’ll have no problem.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I believe like pogba, he will improve next season.. man utd is a step too big for him at the moment.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's struggling because we're not creating enough chances for him. Fair enough he didn't bury the chance last night, but name me a striker who scores at every opportunity???
The problem is, he doesn't create for himself. Almost nothing. Even the average striker can't be all-reliant on service (especially when he isn't absolutely ruthless in scoring them)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The problem is, he doesn't create for himself. Almost nothing. Even the average striker can't be all-reliant on service (especially when he isn't absolutely ruthless in scoring them)
My main worry right now is he is a fecking bomb scare in the wrong box.

mav_9me

My problem is Lukaku appears physically stronger but plays weaker because of poorer touch and general technique.

Having said that Lukaku was instrumental in our counter attack against Arsenal, very good pass to Martial for his assist to Lingard, brilliant flick to get Lingard the ball in buildup to the 3rd goal.

All said and done, my preference was for Morata because technically he is better, and for me technique comes first.

PepsiCola

I believe morata has more room for improvement in the league - first season in the prem and all.

Don't think lukaku will improve massively in what we're seeing now.

Skills

Snitch
Is correct. If you're going to be completely dependent on service from your team mates, you better be completely ruthless in front of goal.

RooneyLegend

Not even a contest, I'd be happy with Lukaku even with his poor all round game if he was lethal in front of goal, but he just isn't. Morata despite also being prone to poor finishing just has a better all round game. He can control a ball for starters.

wr8_utd

:'(

Just not true. Lukaku played a big part in our goals vs Watford and Arsenal.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Lukaku is a slightly better goalscorer. Morata is a significantly better footballer.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I don't see much difference between them. Both have deficiencies in their game that prevent them from being the best strikers in the world.

The mark of a world class striker is the ability to pull the rabbit out of the hat, the ability to get shots on target from difficult situations. To handle high pressure situations.

Lukaku and Morata can't drag their team over the line like a Suarez, Ageuro or Ronaldo. They are missing that X-factor.