Romelu Lukaku vs Alvaro Morata 2017/18

M Bison

Supports
York City
Perhaps. But he did miss a sitter against WBA when it mattered the most, and he did miss another sitter when it really mattered the most - albeit with a good header. There are many, many examples of clear misses - which holds him at 15 league goals instead of 25. We are United in 2nd place, don’t portrait his working environment as some club in 15th unable to create chances. Yes, he scored lots for Everton one season - but he’s at United now, I don’t care what he did at Everton. If he plays next season and enda up at 15-18 league goals we have to get rid.
Get rid?! Seriously?! We can’t just ship players out in that manner it doesn’t work. It’d be daft to take a huge loss on Lukaku (which we would if we mercilessly sold him like that) and then blow twice the amount on another new player, to only start the process again 2 seasons later.

Granted he’s missed chances, as all strikers have but the fact remains, he’s hardly been inundated with goal scoring opportunities. He’s been a good asset this year and been one of the highlights and better performers.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Selection of quotes from Chelsea fans
Bloody hell, my gran could have finished that and she’s 90.
He doesn’t know how to finish, that’s the problem, he’s literally clueless if he has to think about it too long.
How many 1v1 has that twat missed this season I’ve lost count
Been saying it for a while now, Morata doesn't have a spine. He's so mentally weak, that chance is a strikers dream.
Torres all over again
It's well known now he is a serial choker when one on one. If he has time to think he literally always f**ks it up. We were mugged paying what we did for him. Bang average
Annoys me everytime I think we replaced Costa with Morata

Canagel

I just got to post this in here. Anything to get this back out. :D There is no comparison anymore. Time to lock this thread.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

Proper temper tantrum as he was being taken off.

I think he'll be wanting to leave in the Summer, doesn't seem to enjoy or suit English football

Kostur

海尔的老板
Proper temper tantrum as he was being taken off.

I think he'll be wanting to leave in the Summer, doesn't seem to enjoy or suit English football
Actually funnily enough I think he's doing what he was doing everywhere he's been thus far. People talk about his great 'goals to minutes ratio' and other shit but in the end he was never good enough to be a starter for either Madrid, Juve or Chelsea. He's basically doing the same type of shit at Chelsea he's done before, no idea why people expect him to somehow magically change that next season or so.

SamVimes

I just got to post this in here. Anything to get this back out. :D There is no comparison anymore. Time to lock this thread.

I was just going to post that! I remember listening to it at the time, and thinking she was being a bit daft. Penny for her thoughts now.

Djemba-Djemba

Actually funnily enough I think he's doing what he was doing everywhere he's been thus far. People talk about his great 'goals to minutes ratio' and other shit but in the end he was never good enough to be a starter for either Madrid, Juve or Chelsea. He's basically doing the same type of shit at Chelsea he's done before, no idea why people expect him to somehow magically change that next season or so.
Was he as irritable and thin skinned as he has been here though?

All he seems to do is dive and then moan at the ref.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's mentally fragile.
The fact that he says he'd consider going back to Madrid tells me he is someone that enjoys his comfort zone.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Not what the media down here had it as....
Clearly ABU's then because all our reports had us in for Morata but Real wanted too much, then the Lukaku deal came out of nowhere, and considering Everton's activity meant it was agreed upon for weeks. The Morata thing was likely just a rumour to throw people off Lukaku, Chelsea only went for Morata because of Lukaku not going to them.

Djemba-Djemba

Not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion Morata turned us down for Chelsea.

Didn't Chelsea make a desperate last minute bid for Lukaku when it became clear we'd gazumped them?

starman

This thread always confuses me, as Lukuku has not exactly been stellar this season and has had his fair share of rubbish games, but he plays 99% of the time, has the confidence of the manager behind him and has been in the league for 7 years.
I will wait until next season to get better judgement on Morata as with Lukuku, to see if he can really make the step up as a world class striker

el3mel

This thread always confuses me, as Lukuku has not exactly been stellar this season and has had his fair share of rubbish games, but he plays 99% of the time, has the confidence of the manager behind him and has been in the league for 7 years.
I will wait until next season to get better judgement on Morata as with Lukuku, to see if he can really make the step up as a world class striker
Lukaku hasn't been a 10/10 player this season but there's no comparison. Morata has scored 14 goals in 43 matches, 3 of them were in one match in September. This can't be a record for a top striker in a top club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Probably the best approach. This year is likely an outlier.

starman

Lukaku hasn't been a 10/10 player this season but there's no comparison. Morata has scored 14 goals in 43 matches, 3 of them were in one match in September. This can't be a record for a top striker in a top club.
You glossed over with what i said in that Lukuku has played 99% of the time. Lukuku in the league has played almost 1000 minutes more, and only has 5 more goals while being the main striker throughout the whole season. And Lukaku has had his fair share of misses. Some of the posts on here is seem like the comparison is between Kane and Morata..

el3mel

You glossed over with what i said in that Lukuku has played 99% of the time. Lukuku in the league has played almost 1000 minutes more, and only has 5 more goals while being the main striker throughout the whole season. And Lukaku has have his fair share of misses. Some of the posts on here is seem like the comparison is between Kane and Morata..
And I told you, Lukaku is for sure not having a perfect season, a very decent season, but not perfect, and had his bad spell moments. That's for sure, but that doesn't negate that Morata has been far worse too. If he's struggling to earn the trust of his manager, maybe it's Morata's problem ?

The Bloody-Nine

You glossed over with what i said in that Lukuku has played 99% of the time. Lukuku in the league has played almost 1000 minutes more, and only has 5 more goals while being the main striker throughout the whole season. And Lukaku has had his fair share of misses. Some of the posts on here is seem like the comparison is between Kane and Morata..
Do goals in other competitions not count?

starman

And I told you, Lukaku is for sure not having a perfect season, a very decent season, but not perfect, and had his bad spell moments. That's for sure, but that doesn't negate that Morata has been far worse too. If he's struggling to earn the trust of his manager, maybe it's Morata's problem ?
Cant you apply the same notion with Lukaku when he was at Chelsea?

Enigma_87

You know who
Lukaku is having the best season scoring wise. He has 27 goals in 48 games.

Sure he has had up and downs this year, but:

1. He's one year younger.
2. That's his first season as a regular for a top team.

Morata has played for Real and Juve before moving to Chelsea. His problem isn't adapting to the league but being absolutely the same like he was at Juve.

el3mel

Cant you apply the same notion with Lukaku when he was at Chelsea?
No because Lukaku was a young inexperienced player at this time while we're talking here about a 25 years old striker who have played for Juve and Madrid before.

There's really no excuse for Morata's terrible form this season. His goal scoring record isn't good enough for a top striker approaching his peak, and his performance on the pitch is even not that good, as he keeps throwing himself on every contact without even trying to enter a physical battle with a defender. If he's not earning Conte's trust after paying 60m for him, it's his problem really, no one else.

starman

Do goals in other competitions not count?
If you want as close as comparison, the framework of the league is best to use as all the same teams play eachother. If you want to use other comps go ahead, but i am not so bias as to think United had a tougher CL campaign as Chelsea

The Bloody-Nine

If you want as close as comparison, the framework of the league is best to use as all the same teams play each other. If you want to use other comps go ahead, but i am not so bias as to think United had a tougher CL campaign as Chelsea
Then why would you compare now as the season hasn't ended?

starman

No because Lukaku was a young inexperienced player at this time while we're talking here about a 25 years old striker who have played for Juve and Madrid before.

There's really no excuse for Morata's terrible form this season. His goal scoring record isn't good enough for a top striker approaching his peak, and his performance on the pitch is even not that good, as he keeps throwing himself on every contact without even trying to enter a physical battle with a defender. If he's not earning Conte's trust after paying 60m for him, it's his problem really, no one else.
Lots of glossing going on, Lukuku had more PL experience then Morata at the age of 20 than Morata has had this season. Why is this comparison so important, comparing and making judgement this season is silly

el3mel

Lots of glossing going on, Lukuku had more PL experience then Morata at the age of 20 than Morata has had this season. Why is this comparison so important, comparing and making judgement this season is silly
You're really trying so hard to find any excuses whatever weak they're for his terrible record and performance aren't you ?

The Bloody-Nine

I didnt make this thread and maybe you should read what i wrote, i said wait for next season, comparing them now is jumping the gun
I read what you wrote. You said the best way to compare them is league performances, because everyone plays each other. Everyone hasn't played each other yet because the league hasn't finished. Both played in the league, in the domestic cups, and the CL. I see no problem with comparing all goals scored in all comps.

You disagree, fair enough. You do have a valid point in that it's Morata's first season in a different country, etc. That said, there have been questions about his mentality for years now. I rate him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's off at the end of the season.