Ronaldo (37) Slaps Phone Out of Child’s (14) Hand | Charged after 5 months of deliberation

b82REZ

No. They saw our season falling apart and decided to wait until it would be more disruptive.
Season falling apart?

It'd be more disruptive if the punishment was an enforced starting position for three games rather than being banned for them.

OverratedOpinion

If a kid comes in my office to record a video of me after I've failed to deliver something and my boss has just scolded me, I would slap the phone off their hands too.
How would you respond if someone came and stood booing you at the top of their lungs for the duration of your shift?

90 + 5min

There is no "come on" here. I have a kid and if some prick did that to my child i would brake his legs. This is not football stuff here. I don't care will Ronaldo get one or five games ban. He should be punished by the law. Idiotic cnut
He was punished by law. By police. So what do you want more? TheFA to suspend him 50 games? He did wrong, got cautioned and it should be over.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was punished by law. By police. So what do you want more? TheFA to suspend him 50 games? He did wrong, got cautioned and it should be over.
He was punished by police? My bad, i missed that. What FA will do i don't care, tbh.

Luka Mora

There is no "come on" here. I have a kid and if some prick did that to my child i would brake his legs. This is not football stuff here. I don't care will Ronaldo get one or five games ban. He should be punished by the law. Idiotic cnut
I get your point, but the kid was provoking ronaldo in a controlled environment it was not on the street, the way ronaldo reacted was petulant and should have been professional enough to ignore the verbal, but after a game players are heated up and emotionally drained, sometimes you gonna get these kind of reactions, doesn't make it right, but at the end of the day footballers have emotions and get frustrated as much as fans who lash out at these players expecting a non reaction. I think Jamie Carragher did the same thing recently and didn't even just come off playing 90 minutes of football fuelled with adrenaline, he just had his personal space invaded. I don't care if you're a celebrity no one has the right to be waving a phone in front of your face.

If he hit the kid it's different matter, but he lost his cool and slapped a phone out of his hand and he certainly was not aware it was a kid who was waving the phone in his face as he was looking straight ahead down the tunnel and there were dozens in front of the railings hurling abuse at the players.

So expecting anything more than a caution from the law is overkill. If ronaldo approached the kid and slapped him, then it's different story and yes he deserves time inside a cell and a beat down by the old man.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully, he serves a ban and gets consequences for his actions.
I'd love to know Cavani's view on this (who was treated very badly in my opinion by the FA and United.) Why did he have to give Cristiano Ronaldo his no.7 shirt, can anyone explain it?

His goal vs Fulham I think was one of my favourite moments during the empty stadium period, I liked the guy. Also a player who says he does ballet to stay supple has balls.

Huddsred

How would you respond if someone came and stood booing you at the top of their lungs for the duration of your shift?
Booing comes with the territory of being a professional footballer. If I was earning a fraction of what Ronaldo earns I'd ignore it and laugh at them under my breath.

AndySmith1990

It's just booing ffs, it's part of being in a highly public job and has been a part of the entertainment industry for centuries. It's impossible and frankly stupid to compare it to a normal person doing a shift at work

Devil81

Aside from the fact it was a kid, the guy is paid half a million a week. He knows with his fame and wealth this makes him a public figure and gives him the attention that earns him vast sums of money.

To hit a fans phone out his hand be it a boy or a man is disgusting, to then stamp on it makes it even worse.

I don't know if the phone call he made to the household was real or the content of the call, but if it is true the guy is scum. Whatever people say its assault of a minor, if my wife slapped a child's hand in anger at work she'd lose her job, possibly face criminal charges.

I'm actually pretty disgusted to read United are helping him with the case, the club should distance themselves away from it and condem his actions. If that was my kid I'd be furious.

Maticmaker

Yes, it was petulant... look forward to seeing the phone for sale on EBay though ... 'as touched by CR'

Stig

and you may well go to jail for GBH. What Ronaldo did was wrong, but you would then probably be in more trouble than he got.

OverratedOpinion

It's just booing ffs, it's part of being in a highly public job and has been a part of the entertainment industry for centuries. It's impossible and frankly stupid to compare it to a normal person doing a shift at work
Correct. Which is why I used that example to point out the strawman argument I qouted.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Doubt he spent all of time seeing who the actual person booing was - there’s 1000’s of people.

probably just heard booing and saw a phone and knocked it out no seeing it’s a kid.

sepulturite

Brembo or Ferodo?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
and you may well go to jail for GBH. What Ronaldo did was wrong, but you would then probably be in more trouble than he got.
I know. Comment was just my frustration on comments "he JUST slapped him a little".
In reality, as a parent, i would not let him off the hook with "i am sorry".
It was assault on the kid. Period. Excuse that it is during the game, he was hot headed and shit like that is laughable.

georgipep

The point I was making is that different things can be expected in a football stadium than in an office environment.
I don't see how being in a stadium excuses people to abuse, heckle and taunt other people without any consequences.

Fans pay to watch a game, not for the right to treat players and other people like trash.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I don't see how being in a stadium excuses people to abuse, heckle and taunt other people without any consequences.

Fans pay to watch a game, not for the right to treat players and other people like trash.
Isn't this what makes the atmosphere interesting?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

It doesn’t but it also doesn’t mean you can assault someone even with a slight slap or however you want to frame it.

If we were allowed to hit people who annoyed us at any time by law then it’s fine but it’s not how the world works.

georgipep

It doesn’t but it also doesn’t mean you can assault someone even with a slight slap or however you want to frame it.

If we were allowed to hit people who annoyed us at any time by law then it’s fine but it’s not how the world works.
And Ronaldo will pay for it, right? But let's not pretend like that 'fan' was in their rights. It's a scummy thing to do and it provoked an equally scummy reaction.

Rossa

I know. Comment was just my frustration on comments "he JUST slapped him a little".
In reality, as a parent, i would not let him off the hook with "i am sorry".
It was assault on the kid. Period. Excuse that it is during the game, he was hot headed and shit like that is laughable.
I’m a parent too, and I think I would tell my child to behave properly. If Ronaldo or whoever had the decency to call and apologize, I would accept that. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s not as if he hit the kid; he slapped the phone out of his hand. As a parent, I think I would tell my child not to behave in that way.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m a parent too, and I think I would tell my child to behave properly. If Ronaldo or whoever had the decency to call and apologize, I would accept that. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s not as if he hit the kid; he slapped the phone out of his hand. As a parent, I think I would tell my child not to behave in that way.
Wait, what? What exactly kid did wrong there?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely the club as recourse to take this up with the FA on the grounds that it's so long after the fact and such an easy thing to "investigate". I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a ban or whatever (no opinion really) but there needs to be pressure on the FA to fix their dysfunctional bureaucracy for as it stands it affects the integrity of the game.

b82REZ

Surely the club as recourse to take this up with the FA on the grounds that it's so long after the fact and such an easy thing to "investigate". I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a ban or whatever (no opinion really) but there needs to be pressure on the FA to fix their dysfunctional bureaucracy for as it stands it affects the integrity of the game.
They had to wait for the criminal investigation to end first.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They had to wait for the criminal investigation to end first.
Well, if that's the case then it should be expired once a season ends. The Cavani situation was similar too, they bided their time and then whacked him with a racism charge with no contextual sense.

Also, why would the FA need to wait for a criminal investigation to end? Could a club then through its associates file a criminal complaint if it's useful to delay a potential ban and then withdraw said complaint?