Ronaldo is the goat

ManUtd1999

That's his general game, if he scores he's noticed if not you would hardly notice he's on the pitch

Better than Messi? Come on Messi is far more talented and able to play a totally different game to Ronaldo

If he scores that penalty everyone is full of praise for him and saying how good he is, goals don't make you better than Messi
He is better than Messi.

Look how you are jumping to criticize him even though he scored 4 of Portugal’s 5 goals and has no another great player next to him.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He was poor against Morocco - did next to feck all after the goal. You mention the set up, but that doesn't mean a goal and one chance created isn't a good performance. This is Ronaldo we're talking about. An average player will take that performance all day long.
Portugal only created two chances throughout the whole game which I mentioned above, they couldn’t hold onto ball long enough to do anything on counter. If you’re expecting Ronaldo to pick the ball up in his own half and drive his team forward like in his Utd days then that’s not going to happen. He’s likely to be one of the players on break to pass into as we saw in game v Spain. His impact on overall game is going to be limited if his teams don’t do enough with the ball and when they’re being as poor as they were v Morocco I don’t see what more you could expect from him as he was still the only player do score and create a chance for them.

He was poor today I’ll give you that, penalty miss could’ve proved very costly and might’ve very well sent them home but even in that scenario it doesn’t undo his good performances in first two matches.

I may be generalising like feck when it comes to the Spain game as it's hard to ignore a hatrick - hence why you didn't see me in the matchday thread say "Ronaldo has been poor if you take away the goals".
I may be a little harsh on the Spain one, but I genuinely didn't see anything impressive of him when you discount the penalty, freekick and the open play goal. I noted in my original comment that beside the goals he was poor.
You didn’t say that in match day thread, instead you said it here...

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He is better than Messi.

Look how you are jumping to criticize him even though he scored 4 of Portugal’s 5 goals and has no another great player next to him.
Yeah lets just use 2 matches for each player to judge them on only, if that's the case Harry Kane is the best player in the world because he has scored "more goals" than Ronaldo and Messi

ManUtd1999

Yeah lets just use 2 matches for each player to judge them on only, if that's the case Harry Kane is the best player in the world because he has scored "more goals" than Ronaldo and Messi
It’s not just two games.

It’s 11-12 years, 5 UCLs, 5 league titles and, 1 Euro and 5 Ballon d’Ors.

If you have a critique, do it reasonably.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It’s not just two games.

It’s 11-12 years, 5 UCLs, 5 league titles and, 1 Euro and 5 Ballon d’Ors.

If you have a critique, do it reasonably.
1 league title

Secondly saying one is better for team rewards is highly subjective

ManUtd1999

Secondly saying one is better for team rewards is highly subjective
I agree with this.

But, then, what’s the point of your first post? If it’s subjective, don’t attack people who think than Ronaldo is better.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I agree with this.

But, then, what’s the point of your first post? If it’s subjective, don’t attack people who think than Ronaldo is better.
Because your logic is totally flawd saying Ronaldo is better than Messi after 2 games of a world cup

ManUtd1999

Because your logic is totally flawd saying Ronaldo is better than Messi after 2 games of a world cup
I didn’t say that. You’re misleading, and that’s embarrassing.

I said that he is better than Messi. FULL STOP. I didn’t say that he is better because of 2 games.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Portugal only created two chances throughout the whole game which I mentioned above, they couldn’t hold onto ball long enough to do anything on counter. If you’re expecting Ronaldo to pick the ball up in his own half and drive his team forward like in his Utd days then that’s not going to happen. He’s likely to be one of the players on break to pass into as we saw in game v Spain. His impact on overall game is going to be limited if his teams don’t do enough with the ball and when they’re being as poor as they were v Morocco I don’t see what more you could expect from him as he was still the only player do score and create a chance for them.
He was quiet other than his chance. He came deep into his own half today to try and drive his team forward, so it's hardly controversial to say that he has it in his locker to do so. Granted, different situations and today he was looking for Portugal to grab another goal.

I'll admit to being a harsh on the Spain performance - we'll agree that he was quiet minus the goals. The rest - I'm good.

You didn’t say that in match day thread, instead you said it here...
I meant I didn't be a mush and say in the Portugal-Spain match day thread, or the Portugal-Morocco match day thread that he was poor. If I was as biased as you accuse me to be, then I wouldn't have held my tongue to say it in those threads. He scored big goals, and they outweighed his general play.

SammyUnited_83

Very lucky to stay on after the ref decided it was a yellow. Huge decision.

Could have even cost him the Balon D'Or.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I stand by it. I'm not biased at all. You'll see a few "Messi fanboys" on here who couldn't fathom that Ronaldo could potentially be better than him. I'm not one of those.
It's subjective. Tonight, he was poor and you saw that from the frustration he showed.

He was poor against Morocco - did next to feck all after the goal. You mention the set up, but that doesn't mean a goal and one chance created isn't a good performance. This is Ronaldo we're talking about. An average player will take that performance all day long.

I may be a little harsh on the Spain one, but I genuinely didn't see anything impressive of him when you discount the penalty, freekick and the open play goal. I noted in my original comment that beside the goals he was poor. I may be generalising like feck when it comes to the Spain game as it's hard to ignore a hatrick - hence why you didn't see me in the matchday thread say "Ronaldo has been poor if you take away the goals".
:lol: The guy scored a hat-trick and you discount all 3 goals. You couldn't make up the shit these guys make up. :lol:
That's his general game, if he scores he's noticed if not you would hardly notice he's on the pitch

Better than Messi? Come on Messi is far more talented and able to play a totally different game to Ronaldo

If he scores that penalty everyone is full of praise for him and saying how good he is, goals don't make you better than Messi
Missing penalties does? He's just done that better than Messi too. :smirk:

wr8_utd

:'(
Four goals have disguised three strings of poor general performance by him. Justifiably, it shouldn't be alerted if he comes up with the goods with the goals.
He was very good against Spain. I was shocked by his good his overall play, touch and passing were. The two games since then though he's back to his usual self.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
the same people criticizing Ronaldo are the same people who made 1001 excuses for Messi when he had the exact same performance vs Iceland :lol:

If Ronaldo is the greatest of all time this World Cup is the last chance to prove it but that he’ll be recognized as the best of his generation I have no doubt and neither do the people who are so worried about it they feel the need to post the absolute garbage most threads on redcafe.

It’s always the same sad people.

Bad performance from him but an historic day too and a huge day for Portugal. May the pathetic comments continue as they did during the Euros

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
:lol: The guy scored a hat-trick and you discount all 3 goals. You couldn't make up the shit these guys make up. :lol:
Ironic when you've clearly discounted everything else that I've said. Do you only look for Ronaldo-criticism before posting? I was judging his general play. General play doesn't include goals.

Come on man, actually read what I said before you go for the "THIS GUY! GUYS, HAVE A LOOK AT THIS GUY TALKING HERE" angle.

wr8_utd

:'(
the same people criticizing Ronaldo are the same people who made 1001 excuses for Messi when he had the exact same performance vs Iceland :lol:

If Ronaldo is the greatest of all time this World Cup is the last chance to prove it but that he’ll be recognized as the best of his generation I have no doubt and neither do the people who are so worried about it they feel the need to post the absolute garbage most threads on redcafe.

It’s always the same sad people.

Bad performance from him but an historic day too and a huge day for Portugal. May the pathetic comments continue as they did during the Euros
By United and Portugal fans, sure.

Also not sure what's so historic about qualifying from a group of Iran and Morocco. I have far higher expectations from them just qualifying from this group.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not going to criticise Ronaldo because he had a quiet game. I don't understand people who change their minds on a whim. So many crying for the poll to reopen. If 3 world cup games are enough to sway you either way you shouldn't be voting.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ironic when you've clearly discounted everything else that I've said. Do you only look for Ronaldo-criticism before posting? I was judging his general play. General play doesn't include goals.

Come on man, actually read what I said before you go for the "THIS GUY! GUYS, HAVE A LOOK AT THIS GUY TALKING HERE" angle.
I just don't think it's possible to have a bad game if you score THREE goals, if Messi scored 3 against Nigeria and sat on the pitch for the remaining part of the game, I'd say the same.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I just don't think it's possible to have a bad game if you score THREE goals, if Messi scored 3 against Nigeria and sat on the pitch for the remaining part of the game, I'd say the same.
And I agree with you. I never said he had a bad game - stop making accusations that I said something so foolish. Bloody hell man. All I did was look at his general play.
He was MOTM against Spain - I deserve a ban if I think otherwise.

Just because I'm titling on the Messi side of the seesaw doesn't mean that I'm unable to make a comment about Ronaldo's general play.

Heck, I said that Messi has choked this world cup. His general play has been worse.

Cal?

CR7 fan
And I agree with you. I never said he had a bad game - stop making accusations that I said something so foolish. Bloody hell man. All I did was look at his general play.
He was MOTM against Spain - I deserve a ban if I think otherwise.

Just because I'm titling on the Messi side of the seesaw doesn't mean that I'm unable to make a comment about Ronaldo's general play.

Heck, I said that Messi has choked this world cup. His general play has been worse.
OK fair enough.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ronaldo has had a great world cup so far, a penalty miss doesn't change that. I believe Messi is the GOAT but there is no debate on who has turned up so far at the biggest stage of all. There is a lot of it to go so let's see what happens.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
By United and Portugal fans, sure.

Also not sure what's so historic about qualifying from a group of Iran and Morocco. I have far higher expectations from them just qualifying from this group.
Ronaldo has now vastly outperformed Messi both in the Champions League and internationally, he’s well on his way to winning a record sixth Ballon D’Or which would mean he’d finished above Messi in 7 of the last 12 years. Must have been United fans voting too.

Given Messi is pretty likely to retire from Argentina the international gap will only get bigger and bigger, Ronaldo will still be playing for us 4 years from now and Messi will be staying at Barca where there’s nothing else to achieve. Ronaldo will still have new challenges at club level.

Now it’s simple, he’ll either end his career on the same level as Pele and Maradona or he has a final chance in this World Cup to rise above everyone that’s ever played the sport. He’s 4 games away from it.

This World Cup has already been a success for Portugal, we’ve reached our goal. From now on it’s time to dream.

ZlatanEra

Not a debate no matter what nostalgic United fans say. Ronaldo is incredibly effective of course and has one of the greatest mentalities of all time, to come from nothing and end up winning what he has, but Messi is the only complete player of all time. Messi finished the debate when he destroyed us in that CL final 2011, also he destroyed Madrid, Mourinho's Madrid too, a team known for shithousery, even Jose said he couldn't stop Messi no matter what tactics he employed. Until 2016 everyone accepted Messi was better. Ronaldo becoming a poacher has swung the debate in his favour, and of course the 3 CLs in a row, but in 2016 he had a woeful performance until netting the winning penalty, 2017 fair enough, 2 great finishes, but Juve looked a dead and buried team, 2018 done absolutely nothing. Bale bailed him out. Ronaldo is a better version of Drogba these days. Incredible in big games, clutch but simply doesn't have the talent of Messi, a bit like when Drogba and Henry were compared, Ronaldo is Drogba, the stronger physically and a better athlete but less talented, has the edge in big games and Messi is Henry, the much more talented, a complete player

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo has now vastly outperformed Messi both in the Champions League and internationally, he’s well on his way to winning a record sixth Ballon D’Or which would mean he’d finished above Messi in 7 of the last 12 years. Must have been United fans voting too.

Given Messi is pretty likely to retire from Argentina the international gap will only get bigger and bigger, Ronaldo will still be playing for us 4 years from now and Messi will be staying at Barca where there’s nothing else to achieve. Ronaldo will still have new challenges at club level.

Now it’s simple, he’ll either end his career on the same level as Pele and Maradona or he has a final chance in this World Cup to rise above everyone that’s ever played the sport. He’s 4 games away from it.

This World Cup has already been a success for Portugal, we’ve reached our goal. From now on it’s time to dream.
Probably the most deluded post I've ever read here

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not a debate no matter what nostalgic United fans say. Ronaldo is incredibly effective of course and has one of the greatest mentalities of all time, to come from nothing and end up winning what he has, but Messi is the only complete player of all time. Messi finished the debate when he destroyed us in that CL final 2011, also he destroyed Madrid, Mourinho's Madrid too, a team known for shithousery, even Jose said he couldn't stop Messi no matter what tactics he employed. Until 2016 everyone accepted Messi was better. Ronaldo becoming a poacher has swung the debate in his favour, and of course the 3 CLs in a row, but in 2016 he had a woeful performance until netting the winning penalty, 2017 fair enough, 2 great finishes, but Juve looked a dead and buried team, 2018 done absolutely nothing. Bale bailed him out. Ronaldo is a better version of Drogba these days. Incredible in big games, clutch but simply doesn't have the talent of Messi, a bit like when Drogba and Henry were compared, Ronaldo is Drogba, the stronger physically and a better athlete but less talented, has the edge in big games and Messi is Henry, the much more talented, a complete player
Take a look at the Messi v Ronaldo thread if you think that's the case.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Take a look at the Messi v Ronaldo thread if you think that's the case.
Anyone arguing differently at that time was either Ronaldo themselves or completely fecking mental.

ManUtd1999

Coming from you I’ll take it as a compliment.
As you should. BTW, you had a great post.

It’s time for those who think that Messi is better to accept the fact that there are many others with different views about this. Saying that Ronaldo is better doesn’t make them deluded or lacking understanding.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Lol talk about delusional

Ban

So Messi won't have anything to achieve at club Level but Ronaldo will have new challenges at club level? How does that work? Rest of it is in an exaggeration too.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
So Messi won't have anything to achieve at club Level but Ronaldo will have new challenges at club level? How does that work? Rest of it is in an exaggeration too.
Messi will stay at Barca meaning he’ll be more likely to retire sooner and he’ll have less to achieve. When he’s not good enough to start for Barca he’ll retire, when Ronaldo won’t be good enough to start for Madrid I think he’ll still play. For Messi one more La Liga title or one less won’t really matter while I’m confident Ronaldo will still challenge himself elsewhere now that he doesn’t really have anything more to prove in Madrid

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Not one of his better games and that penalty miss might prove costly - ultimately caused Portugal to enter the harder part of the draw. Made a few decent moves and had a couple of good through balls but he didn't half misplace a lot of passes. Definitely not his night.

My God Carvalho is cumbersome.