• Yes

Votes: 824 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 753 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Møllemanden

July 2nd: Expresses desire to leave. July 4th absent from training due to 'Family reasons'. Since then he's had three weeks with family issues, apparently. But plenty of time to post images/videos on social media.

It doesn't matter if you're the greatest player ever. If you don't want to be here, get the F out.

Chairman Steve

He’s going as soon as Jorge Mendes facilitates a move for him somewhere. You can tell he’s moving the chess pieces for clubs so to speak with the press releases from Duncan Castles etc.

It looks like Atletico may be the strongest link at the moment. Probably Chelsea as an outside bet if they’re desperate the longer it goes on. I can see Boehly taking the bait leading to a falling out with Tuchel.

He’s come full circle at United. About 15 years ago RVN was cast out to let him and others in the team break out and now he’s the one we need to cast out to let the younger players express themselves.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Rather he goes than stay, to be honest.

Don’t need the circus of a disgruntled Ronaldo.

Seij

I’ve got nothing to say on Depay. My point is about Ronaldo. He made the comments about leaving a considerable while before the window even closes. It’s clear it’s nothing to do with that. He wants to play in the UCL however not many clubs are lining up for him so maybe watch for some bullshit excuses whilst he is reintegrated back into the squad.
No need to watch. Those excuses are already all over here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm meant to be the negative one - but someone explain the thought process behind some here wanting to get rid of Ronaldo (one of, if not the greatest, of all time) while wanting Memphis Depay (did nothing here and done very little since) to return. Sounds like madness to me
Well he's not the greatest of all time obviously. But yeah I don't see why we'd replace him with Memphis of all people. I'm fine with Martial being his replacement. Just get him, we have no room for the half hearted.

Waynne

I'm meant to be the negative one - but someone explain the thought process behind some here wanting to get rid of Ronaldo (one of, if not the greatest, of all time) while wanting Memphis Depay (did nothing here and done very little since) to return. Sounds like madness to me
- Doesn't want to be at the club
- Needs a team built around him
- Won't be arsed to adapt to a forward pressing style of play from a progressive coach like 8+2Hag
- Is getting to an age where he's eligible to take his pension

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
- Won't be arsed to adapt to a forward pressing style of play from a progressive coach like 8+2Hag
Plus the disrespect he is pooped on the club; not once but twice now. I didn't think he would be that helpful from the performance perspective when he first joined. Thought he would at least be good at teach the young players the discipline required to be a great.

But instead, he wants to bail out of the club to ensure his CL records are intact. This level of hyper-individuality and narcissism just isn't a good example to teach the kids.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The biggest problem now with Ronaldo is his ego.

He believes he is now a better player than he actually is and that the whole team should be built around him when this leaves the Team much easier to play against.

If he played as our occasional plan A but also plan B version then he would be perfect for any team - but he is only ever Plan A for himself and the team he plays for.

He creates a problem due to his ego.

Water Melon

Here is hoping that the ego maniac leaves the club asap. Obviously, he does not want to be at Utd, is well past his best and does not suit the gaffer's style of play. Why bother.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I see you've conveniently left out the Depay part and I'm afraid I don't agree with points 2,3 and 4. As for point 1, maybe he would if we actually got some top, top players in. We've bought one who sounds good (martinez) and got Eriksen on a free who is also good. Neither are in the world-class bracket. the third may not even make first team

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well he's not the greatest of all time obviously. But yeah I don't see why we'd replace him with Memphis of all people. I'm fine with Martial being his replacement. Just get him, we have no room for the half hearted.
why obviously? Is it 815 goals for clubs and country? No one betters that.

For us: is it 102 in 226 games? 60 hat tricks in his career? (that's more than some players score in total in a career). Very rarely injured, totally driven to win.I do wonder, though, who he wanted us to buy if it's true that he isn't impressed with our work in the transfer window (I'm with him on that too).

The goat? Maybe Pele was better and of course won World Cups bu then Brazil were better than Portugal ever will be

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

For us: is it 102 in 226 games? 60 hat tricks in his career? (that's more than some players score in total in a career). Very rarely injured, totally driven to win.I do wonder, though, who he wanted us to buy if it's true that he isn't impressed with our work in the transfer window (I'm with him on that too).

The goat? Maybe Pele was better and of course won World Cups bu then Brazil were better than Portugal ever will be
Messi’s better. Obviously. But there’s another thread for that discussion.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I believe this to be true as well.

Furthermore, can I say this: Man Utd. have had successful 40+(ish) aged players in the past e.g. Teddy Sherigham and Ryan Giggs. Teddy was never that quick even in his 20s! whilst Giggs was very successful at adapting his game. He wasn't fazed by playing less minutes and in a different, less intense role, to extend his career beyond that of most other players. I doubt very much Ronaldo will do that - we know from last season he wanted to basically be the 1st name on the teamsheet and there were even rumours it was contracted that if fit he plays, although I myself doubted that. But even though it wasn't in black and white, it technically became so once Sir Alex in effect criticised OGS (after the Everton game I think) when Ronaldo was on the bench at kick-off.

Finally, I recently read statistical analysis to show (I can't find the link now) showing Man Utd scored something like 20 goals more in the season before Ronaldo joined so even though he personally had a successful season, his impact on the team - on the pitch and and behind the scenes in the dressing room had, overall, a detrimental effect on Manchester United.

Having said that, because of other issues to do with loss of form and unavailability of up and coming strikers at United, I do think he needs to stay until Christmas at least, possibly followed by a move to America, which would be the best for both parties.
Depend on which angle you are looking from.

Player to player, position to position, Ronaldo has contributed at least as many goals as any of our previous CF or top scorer from previous seasons. So the lack of goals is hardly directly his fault.

However, Sancho has significantly less contribution as LWF than his previous predecessors (Rashford as LWF the season before), while Elanga also has less contribution than Greenwood previously. So that’s some other angle you could explore.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that Ronaldo will stay. He's on a 1/2 million a week which would be reduced to around 350k because of our inability CL qualification. That is still a massive salary for a player let alone to a 37 year old. Ronaldo has also placed himself in the corner by demanding CL football. Very few CL clubs can afford him and those who can are run well enough to avoid having this lazy player who doesn't press and would moan the moment he is sent on the bench.

Does he really wants to go though? Recent reports state that he wanted to go the moment we didn't qualify for CL football but went on keeping things under wraps. If true then I wonder if he really wants to leave United or if this is yet another ploy from him to push United into re-negotiating his salary so that he's exempted from this salary cut. I won't be surprised if Ronaldo believes that he deserves to be treated differently to the rest.

United are doing a great job in sticking to their guns and to expect a fee out of him. They even threatened him to activate his one year contract extension if needs be. However they should also brace themselves not to be reliant on Ronaldo if needs to. As said before Ronaldo is not afraid of causing a scene to get what he wants and if he does so then we need to be in a position to isolate him out of the club. I wonder how the old goat would feel training with the U13s. Thus a new striker is a must at this point.

Azhar88

I think that Ronaldo will stay. He's on a 1/2 million a week which would be reduced to around 350k because of our inability CL qualification. That is still a massive salary for a player let alone to a 37 year old. Ronaldo has also placed himself in the corner by demanding CL football. Very few CL clubs can afford him and those who can are run well enough to avoid having this lazy player who doesn't press and would moan the moment he is sent on the bench.

Does he really wants to go though? Recent reports state that he wanted to go the moment we didn't qualify for CL football but went on keeping things under wraps. If true then I wonder if he really wants to leave United or if this is yet another ploy from him to push United into re-negotiating his salary so that he's exempted from this salary cut. I won't be surprised if Ronaldo believes that he deserves to be treated differently to the rest.

United are doing a great job in sticking to their guns and to expect a fee out of him. They even threatened him to activate his one year contract extension if needs be. However they should also brace themselves not to be reliant on Ronaldo if needs to. As said before Ronaldo is not afraid of causing a scene to get what he wants and if he does so then we need to be in a position to isolate him out of the club. I wonder how the old goat would feel training with the U13s. Thus a new striker is a must at this point.
Well I agree with this!

I also think this should happen (or be happening): he has had three weeks family time and because of the Qatar world cup we are now only 2 weeks away from PL kick-off, so could Sir Alex bring some influence to bear and get him back now and back into training? After all, it was a phone call from SAF in August 2021 that has caused all this mess in the first place so maybe he will listen to him, one GOAT to another, so to speak...

Revaulx

Gosh - positivity from @devilish regarding the way the club is run :drool: :cool: :D

I absolutely agree; this more than anything else is a sign that the Arnold era really is going to be different.

devilish

Well I agree with this!

I also think this should happen (or be happening): he has had three weeks family time and because of the Qatar world cup we are now only 2 weeks away from PL kick-off, so could Sir Alex bring some influence to bear and get him back now and back into training? After all, it was a phone call from SAF in August 2021 that has caused all this mess in the first place so maybe he will listen to him, one GOAT to another, so to speak...
I was never a big fan of us bypassing the current structure (irrespective of how incompetent it may be) by giving influence to former managers. We tried that first with Busby and then with SAF and it was a disaster for us. I have no issues with SAF talking on MUTV about the class of 92, the treble and his love for the two Darrens. Unfortunately Ronaldo is a today's problem and an extremely expensive one as well.

devilish

Gosh - positivity from @devilish regarding the way the club is run :drool: :cool: :D

I absolutely agree; this more than anything else is a sign that the Arnold era really is going to be different.
Look mate I call a spade for what it is. When there was rumours of us getting FDJ for 60m I was the first to come in here and say that this was a great deal. Similarly I would criticise what I feel its wrong no matter how much criticism I take. It seems that people here would rather stick to their own 'agendas' than stating the bloody obvious. I am not one of them.

So back to the subject. I don't think that United want Ronaldo at this point. They have suffered a year of unsufferable moaning followed by him wanting to leave at a time when all top available strikers had already made their move. The guy didn't even had the decency to forward an official transfer request (which would forfeit any chance of bonuses linked to a transfer) or to come to training, which kind of show what an Ahole he is. This prima donna antics were fine at a time when Ronaldo could still dribble past half a defence, create chances out of nowhere and was worth 100m+ but is not worth the hassle now that he's just a poor man's RVN.

Anyway in my opinion all this 'we want him to remain' BS is us making it obvious that he's not walking away for free. That something any United fan should applaud. However I would applaud the club more if we added a striker at this point as we all know what an unhappy Ronaldo will do in the dressing room

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
How the feck is he still on family issue leave? It's been weeks? What's the official line now?

Marcus

If his wife is suffering a relapse in grief ok. He should be there. But he can't just completely miss pre-season.

clarkydaz

Look mate I call a spade for what it is. When there was rumours of us getting FDJ for 60m I was the first to come in here and say that this was a great deal. Similarly I would criticise what I feel its wrong no matter how much criticism I take. It seems that people here would rather stick to their own 'agendas' than stating the bloody obvious. I am not one of them.

So back to the subject. I don't think that United want Ronaldo at this point. They have suffered a year of unsufferable moaning followed by him wanting to leave at a time when all top available strikers had already made their move. The guy didn't even had the decency to forward an official transfer request (which would forfeit any chance of bonuses linked to a transfer) or to come to training, which kind of show what an Ahole he is. This prima donna antics were fine at a time when Ronaldo could still dribble past half a defence, create chances out of nowhere and was worth 100m+ but is not worth the hassle now that he's just a poor man's RVN.
i saw one story the reason he left it so late to announce he wanted out was waiting for his 'loyalty' £1m bonus to pass. Not saying its concrete, but lots of players seem to do it

devilish

i saw one story the reason he left it so late to announce he wanted out was waiting for his 'loyalty' £1m bonus to pass. Not saying its concrete, but lots of players seem to do it
Not alot of players are 'legends of the club' who happen to earn that 'loyalty' bonus in a fortnight either.

Azhar88

I find that hard to believe (not yourself of course, the story you mention). He is rich enough to pass on £227 million from Saudi Arabia, but is hanging around at Utd. to collect a £1 million 'bonus'. A bonus for what, being the biggest 'git' of the season?

soapythecat

It will take some mighty spin of PR to get Ronaldo back in favour with the sane United fans. Match going fans could well give him some grief unless something changes soon.

I don't see a way back for him now, but he may well be forced back due to lack of interest. He will take a few weeks to get up to speed but I don't see him fitting in ETH's football - I hope I'm proved wrong though.

Revaulx

Fair enough. I’m more optimistic than you in my belief that things have actually changed for the better post-Woodward; you still seem ultra-sceptical.

Anyway in my opinion all this 'we want him to remain' BS is us making it obvious that he's not walking away for free. That something any United fan should applaud. However I would applaud the club more if we added a striker at this point as we all know what an unhappy Ronaldo will do in the dressing room
I’m not sure I ascribe such evil motives to Ronaldo’s actions; I just accept him for what he is and it doesn’t bother me. Other than that I’m sure you’re absolutely right; having him in the dressing room just isn’t worth the hassle, even though I have some sympathy with him if he finds the culture there too casual (which I’m sure it has been pre-EtH). It was an idiotic decision to bring him back, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club have come to realise that and are facilitating his exit with a view to minimising the drama while also not looking “soft”. They have my full support.

Betson

Is he expected back in training tomorrow with the rest of the squad?

devilish

Fair enough. I’m more optimistic than you in my belief that things have actually changed for the better post-Woodward; you still seem ultra-sceptical.

I’m not sure I ascribe such evil motives to Ronaldo’s actions; I just accept him for what he is and it doesn’t bother me. Other than that I’m sure you’re absolutely right; having him in the dressing room just isn’t worth the hassle, even though I have some sympathy with him if he finds the culture there too casual (which I’m sure it has been pre-EtH). It was an idiotic decision to bring him back, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club have come to realise that and are facilitating his exit with a view to minimising the drama while also not looking “soft”. They have my full support.
These are the sort of things that bug me. 99% of people involved in the football business (managers, ex players, players, coaches etc) see football as a job and United as employees. I am sure that you'll agree that if faced with a pay cut at your work place then you would probably leave. Having said that there are employees who are professional and team players while others who are not.

Which is why United fans need to be less sentimental and they should use their brains more because surely most of those within the United ranks can't give a feck of what we think unless they can exploit it to their favour. I can't care less if a player/coach/manager/DOF/CEO/owner is white/black/female/male/ex player/British/foreigner/Muslim/Catholic etc as long as he's successful. If not then I would want him out irrespective if he's SAF's own son or the devil's spawn.

Bringing Ronaldo in is yet another example of this sentimentalism. The guy had shown at Juventus that he's toxic and was signed merely because of sentimentalism and marketing purposes.

Azhar88

It will take some mighty spin of PR to get Ronaldo back in favour with the sane United fans. Match going fans could well give him some grief unless something changes soon.

I don't see a way back for him now, but he may well be forced back due to lack of interest. He will take a few weeks to get up to speed but I don't see him fitting in ETH's football - I hope I'm proved wrong though.
I really wish he would just take a good look at himself and do the right thing: get back to Manchester, get fit and accept a position as an impact sub, possibly the best impact sub of all time.

Unlikely to happen though. The whole thing is beginning to remind me of the film 'Sunset Boulevard', for those who haven't seen it I got this off the internet: "An aging silent film queen refuses to accept that her stardom has ended. She hires a young screenwriter to help set up her movie comeback. The screenwriter believes he can manipulate her, but he soon finds out he is wrong. The screenwriters ambivalence about their relationship and her unwillingness to let go leads to a situation of violence, madness, and death."

Hopefully not that last bit, obviously!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I really wish he would just take a good look at himself and do the right thing: get back to Manchester, get fit and accept a position as an impact sub, possibly the best impact sub of all time.

Unlikely to happen though. The whole thing is beginning to remind me of the film 'Sunset Boulevard', for those who haven't seen it I got this off the internet: "An aging silent film queen refuses to accept that her stardom has ended. She hires a young screenwriter to help set up her movie comeback. The screenwriter believes he can manipulate her, but he soon finds out he is wrong. The screenwriters ambivalence about their relationship and her unwillingness to let go leads to a situation of violence, madness, and death."

Hopefully not that last bit, obviously!
Who's the screenwriter in the analogy?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Bringing Ronaldo in is yet another example of this sentimentalism. The guy had shown at Juventus that he's toxic and was signed merely because of sentimentalism and marketing purposes.
Toxic is a heavy word to sum up his time at Juventus, when the fact he has won 5 trophies over 3 seasons there, and no one in Italy score more goals than him (101 goals in 134 games) over the course of 3 seasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Well it's obvious he isn't the best of his generation so he can't be the best ever.

Ladron de redcafe

I mean his rival has him beat in goal scoring peak, playmaking peak, balón dors, European golden boots, domestic top scorer awards, IFFS playmaking awards, trophies won, international player of the tournament awards etc etc

Given that he's vastly inferior to his contemporary, he can't really be in the debate.

alexthelion

Maradona, Pele certainly better, Cruyff arguably, Messi arguably.

Just from the players I've seen. May be some before that?

SirMonteyne

He should stay. Score 30 goals this season, play CL next year with the united.
If he asks official transfer request now, it would be completely unprofessional and will forever hurt his united's legacy.
We won't have time to get his replacement, it will be a tough season for ETH.

Status
Not open for further replies.