Ronaldo: The best since Best (great article)

Wittmann45

Eric Cantona and David Beckham were, in different ways, and at different times, the standard of excellence at Old Trafford - Cristiano Ronaldo looks set to outshine them both

One really good season and he is set to outshine Cantona.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he will not be as good as Cantona. I don't even base that on anything, i can just say that, without evem seeing Best or Edwards live, he is the greatest player to have ever worn the shirt.

Irwin

Ronaldo is already better than Cantona, as much as I love him.

ricardinho

didnt Best say when some people were comparing Ronaldo to him that over the years people have compared a lot of players to him but that the Ronaldo comparision was the first time he took it as a compliment.

reddevilcanada

Eric Cantona and David Beckham were, in different ways, and at different times, the standard of excellence at Old Trafford - Cristiano Ronaldo looks set to outshine them both

yes, SET to outshine Cantona, not saying he ALREADY HAS outshined them both.

reddevilcanada

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he will not be as good as Cantona. I don't even base that on anything, i can just say that, without evem seeing Best or Edwards live, he is the greatest player to have ever worn the shirt.
so there is no chance that ronaldo can be as good as Cantona?

Irwin

Yes, he is. I know it's not appealing that a 22 year old Portuguese kid who possibly wont be playing for us in a few years is already better than the great man himself, but it's true. If you define "best" as the most influential to a team's performances & results, then he's the best player I've seen at United. I think Rooney is the better all-round player, but Ronaldo's attributes make him virtually unplayable at the moment.

Anyway, this recent media wankfest over Ronaldo is getting tiresome - We know he's the best in the world, he has been for a while now.

KingEric7

so there is no chance that ronaldo can be as good as Cantona?
He won't be as great.
Ronaldo is brilliant and i like everything about him. But Cantona......
We would not be as we are now if it wasn't for Cantona. There isn't a chance in hell we would be playing Milan in the semis of the Champions League soon without Cantona. We would never have won the treble, despite him retiring two years prior to it. I doubt we would have won half the amount of Premiership titles that we have done.
He is what set the wheels in motion and made us a great team. His contribution still stands.

reddevilcanada

He won't be as great.
We would not be as we are now if it wasn't for Cantona. There isn't a chance in hell we would be playing Milan in the semis of the Champions League soon without Cantona. We would never have won the treble, despite him retiring two years prior to it. I doubt we would have won half the amount of Premiership titles that we have done.
He is what set the wheels in motion and made us a great team. His contribution still stands.
so ronaldo should've been born about the same time as Cantona, so you could have seen what Ronaldo could've done for United? Cantona's contribution to us is not in dispute, but you can't fault a player because he wasn't born in the same time as Cantona and 'didn't set the wheels in motion'. In footballing terms, he has every chance to be as good as the great Cantona, and that's what I meant, his footballing ability.

2Bullish

He won't be as great.
Now thats just silly.

Wittmann45

yes, SET to outshine Cantona, not saying he ALREADY HAS outshined them both.
I understood from the beginning that the authors intention was to say that Ronaldo well be as good as Cantona some day.

Therefore, my reaction is still the same; one season of world class football doesn't prove a lot when you are being compared to Cantona.

UNITED_OG

better than cantona? as an individual, yes.....has he outshine cantonas dominance or effect on united? no

reddevilcanada

I understood from the beginning that the authors intention was to say that Ronaldo well be as good as Cantona some day.

Therefore, my reaction is still the same; one season doesn't really prove anything when you are comparing him to Cantona.
of course it doesn't, only time will tell if he can be as good as Eric, but he has every chance to be so.

UNITED_OG

by the way, cantona is my fav united player of all time, i just think ronaldo is a better individual footballer

redevil2

He won't be as great.
I agree with all my heart! Ronnie can become big but not bigger, yet!

redevil2

Ronnie has all the skills as the best player, but Cantona has more than skill and his charisma is out of this world! You cant really compare them cos they are very different player. Cantona is a born leader, whereas it's still too early to rate Ronnie as such!

Ivor Ballokov

Pretty good article, learnt a few new facts about Cristiano.

If he stays in this form for the next 5 years (with us) and gets us level on European cups with the dippers then I think we can start comparing him with the likes of Cantona.

until then it's a pretty stupid debate

Bearded but no genius

I was reading the 1966 MUFC Football Book last night, and I was struck at how similarly people are talking about Ronaldo to what they were saying about Bestie after that 65/66 season.

He's young, just now showing the world what he can do, and responsible for destroying one of the top sides in Europe for a near-record scoreline.

One season an all time legend does not make, but the similarities are striking.

Bearded but no genius

Pretty good article, learnt a few new facts about Cristiano.

If he stays in this form for the next 5 years (with us) and gets us level on European cups with the dippers then I think we can start comparing him with the likes of Cantona.

until then it's a pretty stupid debate
Cantona was always accused of underperforming in Europe, and he won nothing in Europe with us.

So we can only start asking if Ronaldo is comparable in influence when he wins us more European Cups than Cantona ever did, and more in 5 years than we managed in 50?

Odd.

redevil2

Cantona was always accused of underperforming in Europe, and he won nothing in Europe with us.

I really loath people saying that about Eric! Just loath it. It isnt fair to judge the King on that... just not fair. He was only with us for 5 years but he changed our club immensely and historically and his impact is not to be slighted by his European record, ever! :mad:

yeaher

If Ronaldo scores in the semi and the final and united win the prem fa cup and clthen CR7> Cantona. At this moment in time Cantone>>Ronaldo, I love both but you have realize the titles and fa cups cantona helped unitedm that said CR7 has the talent and poise to take United to the top again, and I must say he is unstoppable

Ruudy10

You cant say that Ronnie isnt evevr going to outshine Eric! How do you know that?

It seems like you are just saying that because Eric is the god, and you are afraid some day, someone better will come along.. I really hipe Ronnie will outshine him.. Think of the good player we would have then,..,

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Fergie believes that Ronaldo can not just be the world's best player but can become a genius of the sport like a Pele or a Maradona, if he continues his great form with club and country for the next few years.

Pele or Maradona >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zidane or fat Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cantona

He may never possibly grow into a genius like Fergie dreams about but can Ronnie become greater than Cantona ? Hell yeah.

KingEric7

Now thats just silly.
We probably wouldn't have won the treble if Cantona never played for us.
As soon as he came we started winning leagues and cups and he had an influence on all the younger players aswell.

KingEric7

Fergie believes that Ronaldo can not just be the world's best player but can become a genius of the sport like a Pele or a Maradona, if he continues his great form with club and country for the next few years.

Pele or Maradona >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zidane or fat Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cantona

He may never possibly grow into a genius like Fergie dreams about but can Ronnie become greater than Cantona ? Hell yeah.
If Ronnie becomes better than Cantona then he will be a genius. That doesn't make sense.

KingEric7

Ole contributed more to us winning the treble than Cantona ever did.
What i'm trying to say is that Cantona's contribution to Manchester United goes further than his 5 years at the club. We really wouldn't have won anything like the amount of trophies we did in the 90's if it wasn't for Cantona. Even though he retired in 97, he set the ball rolling for more trophies to come.

Spoony

The People's President
Cantona was never the best player in the world. Ronaldo is at the moment. Whether he'll achieve as much as Cantona at United is another matter.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ole contributed more to us winning the treble than Cantona ever did.
Wrong. Cantona's influence eventually led to us having a side capable of finally conquering Europe for the first time since the 60's. Without Cantona we would never have one a league title and th e Becks, Giggs generation would never have become as good or successful as they became.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
What i'm trying to say is that Cantona's contribution to Manchester United goes further than his 5 years at the club. We really wouldn't have won anything like the amount of trophies we did in the 90's if it wasn't for Cantona. Even though he retired in 97, he set the ball rolling for more trophies to come.
Wrong. Cantona's influence eventually led to us having a side capable of finally conquering Europe for the first time since the 60's. Without Cantona we would never have one a league title and th e Becks, Giggs generation would never have become as good or successful as they became.
I am certain Fergie would have brought in someone else if Cantona hadnt come to United and we would have still been incredibly successful. Ronaldinho chose Barca but we have Rooney and Ronnie now. The best striker in these shores - Shearer didnt join us but who the feck cares.

If the reason for our success is going to be attributed to one man, no one even comes close to SAF as an alternative option.Cantona's influence leading to the treble is all bollocks. It was Fergie who had to make that half time speech in the finals of the CL and who was the one who put the ball in their net in the dying seconds ?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
i think he has the potential to be one of the greatest players of all time, but as the article says:

"He has fantastic pace, and he is tall, strong and nimble. But I always remember one of my coaches saying years ago: 'It's not two or three years. You have to do it over a long period of time to be an absolute world superstar. When you have played 500 games and a couple of World Cups, then come back to me."

only then we will know if he is one of the best footballers in the history

anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that he's one of the best footballers -if not THE best- today

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That
I am certain Fergie would have brought in someone else if Cantona hadnt come to United and we would have still been incredibly successful. Ronaldinho chose Barca but we have Rooney and Ronnie now. The best striker in these shores - Shearer didnt join us but who the feck cares.

If the reason for our success is going to be attributed to one man, no one even comes close to SAF as an alternative option.Cantona's influence leading to the treble is all bollocks. It was Fergie who had to make that half time speech in the finals of the CL and who was the one who put the ball in their net in the dying seconds ?
You miss them point. Fergie is still teh same one who signed Cantona. So Fegrie's contribution is not in doubt. we are talking players here. IF Fergei hadn't got Cantona we would have taken loinger to win the league, longer to develop experience in the champions league in Eutope and ultimately we might never have won a treble as early as 99. These moments we are in now could have ended up being our first attempt. Whether you like it or not Fergie's signing of Cantona was the catalyst that finally enabled us to conquer Europe by 1999. The credit is ultimately Fergie's. But he in turn also credit's Cantona's influence is his autoboigraphy. That says it all.