Rooney as the #10, Chicharito as the striker

clarkydaz

Rooney hasn't got a creative bone in his body to play this number #10 role. After the amnesia wears off for most of you.. you will realise this and call for him to go back up top.

Look forward to all these cross field balls to Darmain.
to be fair he might get angry and confused if Valencia isn't there

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I thought Rooney played ok today.

Hernandez missed our best chance. Hes done nothing to deserve a start.
And Rooney has? He played ok if you're judging him on lower league standards. I doubt very much that he's happy with his lacklustre performances - it galls me that some players get 20 minutes to prove their worth, but Rooney gets full backing regardless.

In form players should be used. Not players who are living on past glories. Rooney needs a shot in the arm - or a kick up the backside. If he hasn't got to fight for his place, it takes the edge off the effort.

There'sOnlyOne

Only reason Rooney's in the team at the moment is cos we've no one better. I wouldn't bother with him at 10 cos his touch and link up play just looks woeful at the moment. Can't see the harm of trying Mata there, and i suppose we leave Rooney as the CF cos we've feck all else. Plus, as LVG pointed out, he had plenty of time at 10 last season and wasn't much better.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
I'm intrigued to hear what people think is Rooney's best position? He's not a striker, he's not a number 10, he's not a central midfielder... Let me guess second striker? Isn't that exactly what LVG wants behind a number 9? Or is it now a number 10 he needs? I'm sure it changes every week.

For someone who is criticised as much as our Wayne and who has been as selfless as he has been he sure gets a lot of stick.

I've always thought his best role is that behind the striker. Call it number 10, call it second striker. He gets a good goal return and he creates chances. His long range passing is really good and I've found he's able to go past people who create a bit of space for himself.

The experiment with Hernandez has to be worth a go? Ideally we'd have a top quality number 9 but we don't. But Hernandez can run in behind which will create room in front of the back 4 for Rooney.

By the way this is all based on us having to accept that Rooney will start. I don't know if he's in decline or just suffering a lack of form and confidence right now (it's been an ongoing thing through his career) but I know that LVG will stick with him.

204Red

Rooney really has sunk to the level where he would be well suited for a transfer to back Everton or say Newcastle / West Ham.

Cantona'sCollar

Rooney has never been good as a 10, but he was excellent there in the 2nd half of 10-11, coincidentally, when he was played behind Chicharito. For that reason alone, i'd be willing to see it happen. In addition, Rooney has been so bad as a 9 that it would be great to see someone else play there, even if LVG insists on not benching it. I still believe Rooney is a better 9 than 10, but this season (I know it has only been 4 games) it is simply not working for him, and so I believe we should give Chicharito a run of games upfront, regardless of what happens with Rooney.

thepolice123

Didn't it worked for a while after Rooney came back from Rooney-gate in the second half of the 11-12 season. They formed a pretty good partnership. Rooney in particular had some brilliant games as the #10. It didn't really work against top class oppositions though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This worked perfectly back in around 2011, but Rooney's overall game isn't anywhere near as sharp as it was then, and I don't think he's capable of linking the attack and midfield in the way he often did back then. If he's going to feature regularly, I think it'll have to be as the main striker. Players like Mata, Herrera and perhaps even Januzaj will offer us more in that sort of attacking midfield/second striker role.

jem

Rooney has never been good as a 10, but he was excellent there in the 2nd half of 10-11, coincidentally, when he was played behind Chicharito. For that reason alone, i'd be willing to see it happen. In addition, Rooney has been so bad as a 9 that it would be great to see someone else play there, even if LVG insists on not benching it. I still believe Rooney is a better 9 than 10, but this season (I know it has only been 4 games) it is simply not working for him, and so I believe we should give Chicharito a run of games upfront, regardless of what happens with Rooney.
So in other words he has been good as a #10 at one time during his career. In my opinion, I think that ship has sailed for Rooney. It's up front or nothing, and unfortunately, it's looking like it should be more of the latter these days.

jem

Didn't it worked for a while after Rooney came back from Rooney-gate in the second half of the 11-12 season. They formed a pretty good partnership. Rooney in particular had some brilliant games as the #10. It didn't really work against top class oppositions though.
I seem to remember it working well against Chelsea in the title-decider (although I might have red-tinted memories of that wonderful day.)

Cantona'sCollar

So in other words he has been good as a #10 at one time during his career. In my opinion, I think that ship has sailed for Rooney. It's up front or nothing, and unfortunately, it's looking like it should be more of the latter these days.
:rolleyes: I meant to say that he has never been good as a 10, with the exception of that period. Not that I think he should be our 10 though, especially when we have Mata and Herrera, I just think Chicharito should be given a chance up front, regardless of whether Rooney is on the pitch or not. If that means Rooney as a 10, I do think we could, at least, try it for 3 or 4 games (perhaps not right now, as we have Liverpool soon).

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm intrigued to hear what people think is Rooney's best position? He's not a striker, he's not a number 10, he's not a central midfielder... Let me guess second striker? Isn't that exactly what LVG wants behind a number 9? Or is it now a number 10 he needs? I'm sure it changes every week.

For someone who is criticised as much as our Wayne and who has been as selfless as he has been he sure gets a lot of stick.

I've always thought his best role is that behind the striker. Call it number 10, call it second striker. He gets a good goal return and he creates chances. His long range passing is really good and I've found he's able to go past people who create a bit of space for himself.

The experiment with Hernandez has to be worth a go? Ideally we'd have a top quality number 9 but we don't. But Hernandez can run in behind which will create room in front of the back 4 for Rooney.

By the way this is all based on us having to accept that Rooney will start. I don't know if he's in decline or just suffering a lack of form and confidence right now (it's been an ongoing thing through his career) but I know that LVG will stick with him.
Left side of a front three.

jem

:rolleyes: I meant to say that he has never been good as a 10, with the exception of that period. Not that I think he should be our 10 though, especially when we have Mata and Herrera, I just think Chicharito should be given a chance up front, regardless of whether Rooney is on the pitch or not. If that means Rooney as a 10, I do think we could, at least, try it for 3 or 4 games (perhaps not right now, as we have Liverpool soon).
Out of genuine interest (because my memory isn't what it once was,) what role was he playing during that flying start to the 2006-7 season? I remember him striking up a great partnership with Saha, but I'm fuzzy on which player occupied which role.

Devil may care

I'm not a fan of Rooney in a role that is supposed to be creative but he looks so awkward as a #9 in this system that we might as well try it again, but I'm not sure LvG thinks Chicharito has the hold up game to play in the #9 role.

Cantona'sCollar

Out of genuine interest (because my memory isn't what it once was,) what role was he playing during that flying start to the 2006-7 season? I remember him striking up a great partnership with Saha, but I'm fuzzy on which player occupied which role.
I think I remember what you're talking about - Saha was the furthest forward of the front 4, with Giggs on the left and Ronaldo on the right, interchanging. Rooney was in the middle but he wasn't really a 10, much more of a second striker (between a 4411 and a 442) - he wasn't dropping deep and spraying passes to the wing, he seemed to stick close to Saha and Ronaldo, and wasn't really employed as a 'creator'.

Sadly, he is no longer showing the pace, explosiveness or aggression that made him so good in that role. Towards the end of that season, after Saha's injury, he was our main striker (unless OGS/Alan Smith was on the pitch), and still he excelled, though I remember it being a very different role to what LVG is asking of his #9 now.

Good days.

criticalanalysis

Left side of a front three.
You know that's actually not too crazy of an idea. Sure we may laugh that it isn't 2008 anymore but playing there he might be more effective because it's a role he's actually very familiar with and has many good performances. Ok sure he was supplying to an in form Ronaldo and...

Ok. I'll stop. I just want him to show any sort of good form and play for Utd's sake because he's gonna be the first name on the sheet regardless of what we may fantacize here :(

jem

I think I remember what you're talking about - Saha was the furthest forward of the front 4, with Giggs on the left and Ronaldo on the right, interchanging. Rooney was in the middle but he wasn't really a 10, much more of a second striker (between a 4411 and a 442) - he wasn't dropping deep and spraying passes to the wing, he seemed to stick close to Saha and Ronaldo, and wasn't really employed as a 'creator'.

Sadly, he is no longer showing the pace, explosiveness or aggression that made him so good in that role. Towards the end of that season, after Saha's injury, he was our main striker (unless OGS/Alan Smith was on the pitch), and still he excelled, though I remember it being a very different role to what LVG is asking of his #9 now.

Good days.
The best days. My favourite season ever. Scholes was immense, and the jersey that season was a beauty.

one340

The only time Rooney ever worked in a #10 was when Hernandez played as the #9. It is for that reason only why i would entertain the idea of Rooney in that role. Honestly though, he does seem finished as a top striker since probably 2012-2013. He is only starting because he is the club captain. He served the team well on the pitch but his time there as a vital man on the pitch has passed.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
The same limitations Rooney had at 10 that people complained about then wont have changed..it will be back to right pass to Valencia again..it seems rather a desperation now to keep Rooney in the team..its almost like try something, anything..eventually maybe something will work..
You mean, right pass to Darmian?

Cantona'sCollar

The best days. My favourite season ever. Scholes was immense, and the jersey that season was a beauty.
I don't remember us playing better football, in my lifetime, than that season. Agreed about Scholes - he was the best midfielder in the country (along with Essien), whilst Carrick wasn't far behind. Also, the whole Ronaldo Rooney World Cup 'feud' (that the media stirred up) was destroyed on the opening day with the 5-1 against Fulham. Great season indeed.

foolsgold

Why are we insisting on trying to shoehorn Rooney into the team?

He's not performing at 9, we have at least 3 better options at 10. Bench him until he earns a place in the team.

El Zoido

Why are we insisting on trying to shoehorn Rooney into the team?

He's not performing at 9, we have at least 3 better options at 10. Bench him until he earns a place in the team.
He's captain and won't be dropped.

Kant-ona

I wonder why so many people here have doubts if Rooney is good enough as #10... while hardly no one poses the question if Hernandez is a proper #9. This club was used to strikers like Van The Man. I still can't see Chicarito good enough to be our number one threat of our attacking force.

ottosec

When he was playing as a no. 10 people were crying for him to be played as a striker...

Sparky Rhiwabon

For the last two years people have been saying that Rooney needs to be played in his best position, as no.9. Now he is being played there, people are saying he should be played elsewhere.

saivet

I wonder why so many people here have doubts if Rooney is good enough as #10... while hardly no one poses the question if Hernandez is a proper #9. This club was used to strikers like Van The Man. I still can't see Chicarito good enough to be our number one threat of our attacking force.
I don't think anyone think Chicha should be our no.1 forward, but if Rooney continues as he has been and we don't bring anyone in then he may become our best option.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Maybe because he's a bit of a cnut? Like Keane when the performances dry up and you have a certain personality, you get judged on that.
It's a fair point... Though I really don't see why he's been a crazy nut :).

OK so he handed in a transfer request twice. I know to a lot of fans that's unforgivable but I actually understood his reasons. The first time he was absolutely right and the club looked like it was lacking ambition by not spending. Funnily enough that summer we went and spent more than we had in a long long time.

The second time he'd fallen out with Fergie and to be fair probably questioned where the club was heading in appointing Moyes! He was proven right that actually we were set for an almighty fall.

IwatUwat

I agree with a fair amount in this thread in relation to Rooney's current form. I think playing him as a 10 in recent years hasn't seen his best form but neither has playing him elsewhere, for whatever reason. He did have a good 6 months under Moyes in my view. In recent times Rooney as a 10 receives the ball and plays square balls out wide not really creating much at all.

However people in this thread saying Rooney has never played well as a 10. Cannot remember him breaking through, this was by far his best position as a young player, behind RVN and behind Saha. We then started to mix it with 4-3-3 and the 10 role kind of disappeared and Rooney Tevez Ronaldo interchanged. I think following that Rooney has never played the 10 role like he did previously which is a shame. As before that he was a brilliant 10 if people can't remember that then they are kidding themselves. As a 18 yr old he got his move after playing 10. For me as a 9 Rooney only had 1 good season that being under Fergie where he scored a whole bunch of headers in a row. He can play the role but at current time is showing a real lack of movement and form. Having said all this the way he has played it in the past few years is comparable to him in his younger or the current style of 10's that are out there now.

With the influx this season of teams playing 4-2-3-1 I do wonder whether Rooney may be able to play 10 again as theoretically he would have Depay and Mata either side running past him and Hernandez infront too. I think it's worth a go, as if Rooney has to play which as our captain you would think he does and with LVG's comments a stint at 10 may take some of the goal scoring pressure off him and let him try find a bit of form. However he would have to be drilled to have a license to be creative, get off shots, take on a man, try play decisive passes. Rather than his standard ball wide that has become a habit of his of late. Hernandez too most would argue on here given a full season would get 15+ goals and a potential for more. I would argue that. Rooney currently doesnt look like that type of player, and if we're going to be near the top 3 then we need a striker who will chip in with that many.

I personally would now try Hernandez as a 9, Rooney, Depay and Mata behind all interchanging. IF we are to play this current formation of choice 4-2-3-1

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Doesnt really matter where he would play currently. It's not the position that doesnt get the best out of him, it's his poor form that he's having now for too long

ottosec

It's funny because against Newcastle it was Cicha who dropped deep, not Rooney. LVG style.

Shiva87

I thought Rooney played ok today.

Hernandez missed our best chance. Hes done nothing to deserve a start.
He got in position to have our best chance and got an opposition player sent off with his speed (albeit through a second yellow) - he has already done more than Rooney in 4 games.

Btw.. I believe the Rooney feck up for the goal against spurs was a worse than Chicha fecking up the newcastle chance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Operation keep Rooney in the team. Januzaj has done well at 10, Mata is a betetr 10, If Hernandez is up top, then Rooney go and sit on the bench

bugmat

When he was playing as a no. 10 people were crying for him to be played as a striker...
Just to get him away from the middle where his every touch was poison for large periods. Unfortunately it still is and so we basically play with 10 men.