Rooney responds.

simmee

Ferguson could see he was no longer good enough. Was Ferguson wrong too?
Ehh... no? Are we playing a game where we ask each other pointless questions to keep the thread going?

No one thinks Jose can't see it but we all know his hands are tied one way or another and that if he was allowed to do as he wishes, Rooney wouldn't be here.
Pretty sure I read a few posts today with people being fed up with Mourinho for playing Rooney. Seems pretty pointless if they know his hands are tied?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I love how "the Rooney haters" always wants to divide everyone here in to two camps. Some of us are just united fans you know... I haven't really defended him, the only thing I've done is being annoyed by people constantly calling him a fat cnut etc. because it's just boring. I actually think the most pathetic thing is "the Rooney haters" actually believing they are smarter than everyone else while at the same time coming up with absolutely insane conspiracy theories. I mean you actually believe he is playing the whole club? That not a single one of the coaches can see what some posters (who most of them probably never even played football at a semi-pro level) at redcafe can see?
I can agree with most of your post except the bolded part. Hardly any of the ideas commonly described as 'insane conspiracy theories' are bizarre (for instance, the idea that Rooney/ his camp might feed stories to journalists, or that agents might seek to include extraordinary demands in contracts) - no-one is claiming that Rooney can fly or that he controls the weather. Simply calling things 'bizarre' and 'insane' doesn't make them so, and this shut-down-the-criticism tactic is all too obvious.

hirotan69er

I saw someone posting on FB saying that he's been matured. Maybe too matured that he no longer has that anger or raw intensity that he had when he was younger made him constantly scoring goals and picking up some cards. I think he's probably right. He plays like an old soon-to-retire-midfielder playing out of his position but still trying to maintain his style of play.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I saw someone posting on FB saying that he's been matured. Maybe too matured that he no longer has that anger or raw intensity that he had when he was younger made him constantly scoring goals and picking up some cards.
He's trying to avoid injury, and has been for ages.

Ban

From that Rooney who massacred us (Croatia) in Portugal and looked absolutely devastating to this guy.. For whom I can't wait to be dropped and can't stand him anymore. He was one of my favorite players but this is just ridiculous. Sooner it gets sorted better for the whole club.

wr8_utd

:'(
"Wayne is the captain of the club. He's trusted by the players, he's trusted by myself and he represents the club in a fantastic way as a player and person.
"But in football, everyone is the same and if he has to go on the bench, he goes on the bench.

"If he has to stay at home, he stays at home, but that doesn't mean you don't trust him or you have a problem. Not at all. We have no problems.

"He's our captain, but of course, no privileges. He's like anyone else."

Ban

"Wayne is the captain of the club. He's trusted by the players, he's trusted by myself and he represents the club in a fantastic way as a player and person.
"But in football, everyone is the same and if he has to go on the bench, he goes on the bench.

"If he has to stay at home, he stays at home, but that doesn't mean you don't trust him or you have a problem. Not at all. We have no problems.

Jose said that?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Is this old or embargoed?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Good.

Sounds to me like Jose is slowly turning the screw.
Agreed. Think he will be dropped tomorrow

Hope Mou doesn't actually believe this

“Honestly, I think there was a Wayne before the Slovakia-England and a Wayne after the Slovakia-England,” Mourinho said. “And I am not blaming Sam, not at all. I am blaming the people who after the England–Slovakia were, in my opinion, too strong with somebody that is a very important player in the history of English football, is the captain of England, is the record of goals, is almost the record of matches. I think it was too much but I still think, a big boy like he is, he has to face it in a strong way.”
He was shit vs Bournemouth which was before Slovakia

wr8_utd

:'(
Hope this atleast puts to bed the ridiculous stuff that he plays for commercial/contractual reasons.

simmee

I can agree with most of your post except the bolded part. Hardly any of the ideas commonly described as 'insane conspiracy theories' are bizarre (for instance, the idea that Rooney/ his camp might feed stories to journalists, or that agents might seek to include extraordinary demands in contracts) - no-one is claiming that Rooney can fly or that he controls the weather. Simply calling things 'bizarre' and 'insane' doesn't make them so, and this shut-down-the-criticism tactic is all too obvious.
I do find it insane to think that a huge business as United would accept such a contract with all the lawyers and businessmen involved. You can say all you want about Woodward's experience in football but as a businessman he's proven and I really doubt a person previously working with M&A would be that bad at negotiating a deal. But if that's the case I'll admit I was wrong and that our management is shit. If there's any pressure from the top my guess, which might be deemed just as insane by others, would be that it's for marketing purposes, since our club seems to be around 90% marketing and 10% football at the moment, and they need him to break that record.

Manny

Grammar Police
Hope this atleast puts to bed the ridiculous stuff that he plays for commercial/contractual reasons.
It won't and nor should it. The only thing more ridiculous than the idea of a playing clause is the amount of starts he gets no matter how shite he plays.

Well that certainly sounds better than "My captain shall always play".
Well marginally considering LvG used to say stuff like benching Rooney would be no big deal too.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Think Wayne should come up with a response on the pitch. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Red Stone

I've put him in my predicted 11. I have a hunch he'll start and the part of me that enjoys watching the world burn wants to see the caf when that line-up is announced.

The rest of me will fecking give this club up if he starts. Surely after playing the full 90 minutes and being utter shite to boot he has to get dropped. If he doesn't now he never will.

Blackwidow

Well that certainly sounds better than "My captain shall always play".
At Bayern he got rid of that "captain" when he did not want to give him a starting guarantee anymore... Van Bommel. So it went down the hill that year anyways. Is a Rooney on the bench with all the media turmoil and the problems in the dressing room better? Pep got rid of Hart when he still could do - and I doubt that Yaya still has the influence in the dressing room.

AndyJ1985

It will be interesting to read the caf if Rooney starts tomorrow and gets a hat trick! :lol:
Yeah it will. But it won't happen. So you'll have to stick to laughing at all your hypothetical Rooney scenarios in that fantasy world you live in.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
At Bayern he got rid of that "captain" when he did not want to give him a starting guarantee anymore... Van Bommel. So it went down the hill that year anyways. Is a Rooney on the bench with all the media turmoil and the problems in the dressing room better? Pep got rid of Hart when he still could do - and I doubt that Yaya still has the influence in the dressing room.
Was Van Bommel considered a legend at Bayern? Or had huge influence with the German press?

Hart and Yaya is different to the Rooney problem as well because Rooney is the national team top scorer, national team captain and club captain. Mourinho has a tough situation to deal with if he plans on pushing him out

Oneunited26

Good.

Sounds to me like Jose is slowly turning the screw.
One way or another David Moyes truly did set us back quiet a few years and adding salt to the wounds with that 5 year 300 K contract, was that the worst decision made in a long time? that and not accepting chelsea's offer, oh yes. For me Fergie its a big shame he did not finish what he started by selling off rooney, and maybe retired in summer 2014.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It will be interesting to read the caf if Rooney starts tomorrow and gets a hat trick! :lol:
It will be so funny if he scored 8 goals tomorrow and beats PL record too!!!!!

Blackwidow

Was Van Bommel considered a legend at Bayern? Or had huge influence with the German press?

Hart and Yaya is different to the Rooney problem as well because Rooney is the national team top scorer, national team captain and club captain. Mourinho has a tough situation to deal with if he plans on pushing him out
Legend at Bayern - no. (Not with the masses of CL-winners, World Cup winners etc.) Huge influence with the press - no. Very big influence in that dressing room - yes. Very good connection to Hoeneß and Rummenigge - yes. He was a role model for a captain at Bayern - took really care of his players even with their private problems and took e.g. Müller and Badstuber "under his feathers". I think especially Schweinsteiger took him as a role model and not the other captains he got to know in his career like Ballack or Kahn.

-----------------

I know that Rooney is a different story. But I guess a problem that will not be so easy solved without big turmoil.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Legend at Bayern - no. (Not with the masses of CL-winners, World Cup winners etc.) Huge influence with the press - no. Very big influence in that dressing room - yes. Very good connection to Hoeneß and Rummenigge - yes. He was a role model for a captain at Bayern - took really care of his players even with their private problems and took e.g. Müller and Badstuber "under his feathers". I think especially Schweinsteiger took him as a role model and not the other captains he got to know in his career like Ballack or Kahn.
I think the main thing for managers is the press and fans. Van Bommel might have had a great influence in the dressing room but would players really be upset with a player who is holding the team back leaving or being dropped (not sure if Van Bommel was, but Rooney is)? I doubt it.

Players should surely want success more than sticking with a guy who put his feathers on them.

podurban2

I would say, maybe he has turned it around after 3 years. It will be the biggest comeback in modern day sports.

No chance of happening, unfortunately.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he were to play like he was capable of years ago and dominate games then the whole Caf would be happy to see that. But he's not capable of it anymore. Even though the criticism is often quite personal and savage, it's sprung from a more sensible criticism which is very fair: he's nowhere near what he was and we can't carry passengers or adapt to the needs of a player whose fading ability doesn't merit it.