g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rooney responds.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It does seem like Jose has given Rooney the rope with which to hang himself. He's played him in every position he's meant to be good in and he's played shit every time. Even a lot of journalists have been critical of Rooney and his future for club and country. We'll see over the next few weeks what his status is in Jose's eyes.

Dazzmondo

Wow, that's a pretty terrible interview. Basically refusing to accept that he's even underperformed and straight up saying he doesn't care about what the fans think. Nice Wayne.

Womp

idiot
Great players are for the most part very good, with a few bad games being the exception.

Then you have average players who are okay for the most part with great games here and there.

Then you have Rooney of the past 2 years who is always shite.

Edit: Then you have Rojo.

Ban

Rooney scoring a hattrick? More chance of me getting million dollars out of nowhere.

Rob Bowman

What right do the fans have to question Wayne Rooney?
What right... ?

Seriously mate where do you think his salary comes from?

We have every right to question. It is our money United wants so they can pay the players their outrageous salaries. In fact they need our discussion because the alternative is no one cares.

Now tbf their are two criteria and not always hand in hand. Entertainment and winning. When we win and do not entertain there might be grumbling about odds and ends. When we entertain and lose their are still moments to savor.

Currently (barring Northhampton) we are not doing either well, and many on here (including me) predicted trouble if we continued to ply Mr Rooney as a starter. As we are not winning or entertaining much lately, and as long as United want my cash for tickets, kits, wine, ramen and everything else then I am fully justified to express my concerns.... and that is exactly what United want and need... my caring about the team.

simmee

From where his salary comes from?

Is there some detailed break down?
Yeah apparently there's been a leak. His clever agent managed to make Rooney get all our cash payed for wine, kits and ramen.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Will we soon see the fans turn on Rooney? I mean the fans at OT, it can't be only us online Einstein's and armchair-critics that has had enough?

pixel

Great players are for the most part very good, with a few bad games being the exception.

Then you have average players who are okay for the most part with great games here and there.

Then you have Rooney of the past 2 years who is always shite.

Edit: Then you have Rojo.
Where does Depay fit in that hierarchy?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hope this atleast puts to bed the ridiculous stuff that he plays for commercial/contractual reasons.
Talking about it doesn't put anything to bed. Actually dropping him is an entirely different thing.

AndyJ1985

Talking about it doesn't put anything to bed. Actually dropping him is an entirely different thing.
Was going to say the same thing. He's already lied about Rooney only playing as a 10 or a 9, so I'm no longer interested in what he says. Time for action.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was going to say the same thing. He's already lied about Rooney only playing as a 10 or a 9, so I'm no longer interested in what he says. Time for action.
To be fair, he's started every game as a 10 but dropped himself deeper and deeper before being put wide.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Watch Rooney score the matchwinner today and buy himself another 15 matches as a starter.

Red Viking

Will we soon see the fans turn on Rooney? I mean the fans at OT, it can't be only us online Einstein's and armchair-critics that has had enough?
I don't expect that to happen as most of the match going fans seems to believe clapping and singing is the only proper way to support the team. This just makes it harder to get rid of players like Rooney who have little use in my opinion. People sometimes gets overly complacent and think they can do no wrong and is better than what they are in such surroundings. Look at Rooney's comment yesterday were he said he could play all positions. This kinda just underlines what i am saying.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't think so, can't even remember much of a clamour for Van Gaal out - people would rather get selfies and autographs. Besides, nobody wants to go to a stadium to boo their own. I think there'll be some mutters but he'll be backed until he does shit and we'll get the inevitable groans.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
It smacks of desperation managers trying to cling on to him and his past glories, he's a month away from being 31 and when you combine that with the fact he's been playing top flight football in to his 15th season now regularly, a regular in the international side for 14 years there's no shame in being finished at that age particularly as a striker who often relied on pace and power, that's a lot of games under his belt and a lot of toll on the body from a young age.

It's almost like Mourinho and Allardyce are somewhat accepting that's he no longer near the player he once was because they're not playing him where he's played all his career, they know he's done as a striker but are pathetically clinging to this idea that because he can ping a 50 yard crossfield ball and he runs around a bit (again not nearly as much as he did) that he can be a midfielder when he can't consistently pass a ball 5 yards and controls a ball like he's wearing rubber boots.