Rooney testimonial vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu77

Yeah, he will be regarded as a legend weather you want it or not.

yes the relationship has been stormy at time , sometimes even downright chilly , .with some very sunny patches too

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Completely messes up our prep for the Community Shield ffs, couldn't we organise it earlier? Besides, we could do without another bloody game as I'd rather the lads save their legs for matches that actually matter. It'd be horrific if one of our key players get an injury in this pointless friendly.
Our preseason hasnt gone as planned. Our players are still not fit. The more games the better.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Our preseason hasnt gone as planned. Our players are still not fit. The more games the better.
It has worked out okay now, but my previous post was before pre-season began.

I just hope it is taken seriously, rather than a "fun" friendly game.

SteveW

Rooney won't go down as a club legend and rightly so. He has twice tried to engineer moves away only for his supposed 'loyalty' to be rewarded with huge contract imorovemrnts. The club owes him nothing and I wouldn't attend this match if it was being played at the bottom of my garden.

All the '92 lads, Rio, Evra, Park and a whole host of others over the years are more 'United' than Rooney.

He's here because of what we pay him, not because the really wNts to be.
Na he's definitely a legend. The lasts few seasons haven't been great but you can't dismiss what he achieved before that. He was consistently one of our very best players in one of the most successful periods in the club's history. Huge drive and work rate, bags of talent and a willingness to sacrifice himself for the team. He just wasn't somebody who could maintain the hunger for a full career.

Frank Grimes

Rooney's goals and assists record for United is very impressive in his time here. He is past his peak but I hope he gets a good crowd for his testimonial as he always gives his best.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
-----------De Gea-----------
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
----Schneiderlin--Herrera-----
Mkhitaryan--Rooney--Martial
---------Ibrahimovic---------

Play a strong team to get fitness.

NotQuiteManc

Well deserved testimonial. Like others already said not in the best form in the last few seasons but oh my what a player during his earlier years and prime. Deceptively fast strong and an eye for thunderbastards and occassionally the delicate chips. Had his best season when he was the main man and striker to go to. He could have gone further if not for that injury. Probably physically shot now but probably can do the job as a squad player rather than auto 11.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Long-time players like Wayne (and Rio before him) shouldn't be made to sacrifice the 'fun' element of their deserved testimonials just because the club has other concerns. Sure, the club should ordinarily come first but it isn't fair to them.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Long-time players like Wayne (and Rio before him) shouldn't be made to sacrifice the 'fun' element of their deserved testimonials just because the club has other concerns. Sure, the club should ordinarily come first but it isn't fair to them.
Aye, Rio's was an absolute farce, wish they'd have a proper fun one for him.

ricky-romeo

-----------De Gea-----------
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
----Schneiderlin--Herrera-----
Mkhitaryan--Rooney--Martial
---------Ibrahimovic---------

Play a strong team to get fitness.

this line up. is smalling fit though? if not then blind it is.

2nd half team

-----------romero-----------
darmian---jones---TFM--rojo
---carrick-------fellaini------
young-----mata-------memphis
----------rashford------------

Revan

Assumptionman
Completely agree. Testimonial should be a fun game to appreciate that player, not a preseason game.

Ideally, it should have been a match featuring the likes of VDS, Scholes, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, maybe even Ruud and Ronaldo.

RK

Completely agree. Testimonial should be a fun game to appreciate that player, not a preseason game.

Ideally, it should have been a match featuring the likes of VDS, Scholes, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, maybe even Ruud and Ronaldo.
To be a more "fun" testimonial I'd say they shouldn't schedule it 4 days before the season starts, after what was always going to be a substandard pre-season.

I've not even got a small bit of desire to go.

Seven Seas Sardines

I care more about starting the season in good shape than Rooney getting easy goals against old friends. After carrying Rooney on their backs for years, finally he can be of use to our team..

Scuttler

Was in town yesterday and everybody was whinging when they announced his testimonial over the tannoy. "feck him" "I wish he'd leave already" "no one can be fecked"..Our Wayne's really overstayed his welcome hasn't he?

Scuttler

Na he's definitely a legend. The lasts few seasons haven't been great but you can't dismiss what he achieved before that. He was consistently one of our very best players in one of the most successful periods in the club's history. Huge drive and work rate, bags of talent and a willingness to sacrifice himself for the team. He just wasn't somebody who could maintain the hunger for a full career.
Personal opinion to deem a player a legend wouldn't you agree? He ain't one in my opinion.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think if we had won the league in 2009/10 or 2011/12, when he mostly carried the goalscoring burden himself and did fantastically well, he would easily be considered a legend.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Will he be playing for Everton for a half or so?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think if we had won the league in 2009/10 or 2011/12, when he mostly carried the goalscoring burden himself and did fantastically well, he would easily be considered a legend.
He is easily considered a legend anyway.

red_devil83

Can't wait for this. Well and truly deserved. Will definitely go down as a legend. Just want him to get that all time goalscoring record now to top it off.
All proper legends are regarded universally as such - Cantona, Giggs, Schmikes, Charlton, Best, Law, Keane... Rooney will never be universally regarded, as this thread attests

Owngoalscorer

He deserves this testimonial and though he might not be considered as a legend by quite a few on here right now, in a few years time with the benefit of hindsight I think he"ll be seen in a far better light.
In the meantime will he become Josés equivalent here of Drogba at Chelsea ?

Art Vandelay

Was in town yesterday and everybody was whinging when they announced his testimonial over the tannoy. "feck him" "I wish he'd leave already" "no one can be fecked"..Our Wayne's really overstayed his welcome hasn't he?
For some reason I'm imagining a bunch of old women out for their shopping giving it mouthfuls of abuse when they heard it. :lol:

Also:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think football works that way in 2016. Would be kind of awkward him injuring Martial for a few months?
I thought that when it was two teams the said player had played for, he could play 1 half for both. Keane's testimonial may have been the exception then seeing as he was retired by that point.

tentan

Poor man's poster.

Rooney stats and Kits through the years.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He clearly is a club legend. He will likely finish as our top scorer of all time FFS.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why there are posters questioning whether Rooney is a legend and/or bashing him in a testimonial match thread is beyond me.

Revan

Assumptionman
I care more about starting the season in good shape than Rooney getting easy goals against old friends. After carrying Rooney on their backs for years, finally he can be of use to our team..
It shouldn't have been one or other. We could have scheduled the testimonial at some other date which doesn't conflict with the pre-season, like we have done with testimonials of other players. I was pissed of with how went the Rio testimonial and I don't like that Rooney's testimonial (a player who while has never been one of my favorites, deserves respect for the service he has given to the club over the course of a decade) to be a simply pre-season match when the most important thing is to put players in the best shape. It should have been a true testimonial with a lot of players who played him during the years being there, and the match should have been for Rooney, not for the fitness.

Revan

Assumptionman
He deserves this testimonial and though he might not be considered as a legend by quite a few on here right now, in a few years time with the benefit of hindsight I think he"ll be seen in a far better light.
In the meantime will he become Josés equivalent here of Drogba at Chelsea ?
He is a legend. I don't like him much, but it is pointless to argue that he isn't a legend. He is United's second top scorer (almost surely will be United's top scorer in the future), one of our most decorated players, one of the players who played most matches for United, and the face of United since 2009 (before it, our second most important player for three seasons). In my opinion he is right there with our top legends, despite that he asked once to leave.

Lostie007

Why didn't we get Ronnie back for this?

To show his respect for Wazza's storybook career.

ottosec

I just noticed that he scored 20 goals or more only 4 times in his career. :lol:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just noticed that he scored 20 goals or more only 4 times in his career. :lol:
Nearly the top goal scorer for United ever whilst mainly playing as a second striker. What a shithouse

Dazzmondo

Wow, people actually trying to claim Rooney isn't a United legend. Okay... No room for debate on Wayne being a legend, the number of goals he's contributed alone makes his claim indisputable. Not to mention it's very insulting and pretty pathetic to be doing it before a game that's set up to celebrate his career. Like it or not Rooney has been a major part of our success for the last decade and deserves a lot more respect. The claim that he wanted to leave means he isn't a legend is total bs. Ronaldo forced a move, van Nistelrooy wanted to leave, don't see many claiming either of them isn't a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.