Rooney

Feed Me

I'm hungry
14 goals in the premiership, 15 in all comps. Hasn't scored in Europe yet though. I'd love him get run outs in the Cup games to help boost his goal tally but I doubt it'll happen. Seems to be pre-dominantly scoring in the prem.

In 06/07 he had 14 in the league (like he does now) but those in all comps help made his tally to 23. Incidentally, the same as Ronaldo that season.
He hasn't scored in Europe, but would I be right in thinking that he's only fitfully featured?

He can get 30 this season.

Merman

He hasn't scored in Europe, but would I be right in thinking that he's only fitfully featured?

He can get 30 this season.
He's only played 3 games in Europe and one of them as a sub(I think). Ronaldo did not score until the second leg against Inter last season either.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's only played 3 games in Europe and one of them as a sub(I think). Ronaldo did not score until the second leg against Inter last season either.
Yeah I thought that had been the case. It wasn't the most demanding group and Ferguson's selections reflected that.

As you say, Ronnie really turned it on in the knock out phases, so hopefully Wayne can do the same.

He's got form against Milan!

AttackingFlair

The sad thing is, he was so close to equalling his highest ever tally in the prem when he hit the post and bar. If he weren't unlucky with both of them, he would've been on 16 by now. Forget about the strike at Villa too!

Really hope he keeps the scoring up now, it's about time he shuts people up about the "doesn't score enough". He's got a big chance especially as the penalty taker as well. Other strikers like Drogba are played in virtually every game in every competition which is why their goal scoring stats in all comps are boosted. Hasn't happened with Wayne, wish he got more playing time in the cups though.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The sad thing is, he was so close to equalling his highest ever tally in the prem when he hit the post and bar. If he weren't unlucky with both of them, he would've been on 16 by now. Forget about the strike at Villa too!

Really hope he keeps the scoring up now, it's about time he shuts people up about the "doesn't score enough". He's got a big chance especially as the penalty taker as well. Other strikers like Drogba are played in virtually every game in every competition which is why their goal scoring stats in all comps are boosted. Hasn't happened with Wayne, wish he got more playing time in the cups though.
He probably is capable, physically. But it's kind of a case of, what's the point? If we can give him a rest here and there, then it's all good.

TonyMontana

"he's not that good anymore", "he's not the same", "I want 2006 Rooney back"

Kids know shit about football, ignorants, that's what they are.

Fergies Formula

"he's not that good anymore", "he's not the same", "I want 2006 Rooney back"

Kids know shit about football, ignorants, that's what they are.
Its easy and all well and good saying that now when he is on fire, but if you consider the form that rooney had in his early years, and the way his game has changed and the dips in form he has had you might understand the question marks that are raised about his development.

He was destined to be a world class player but his progression some what faltered a little, ronaldo over took him and he took a back seat and for whatever reason his talent didnt flourish as all might have hoped.

For sure if he keeps up his scoring record like he has this season then any doubters will be made to eat their words, however if i remember correctly most of this thread is peoples concerns about how rooney had lost the explosiveness and selfishness to his game, hardly anybody said he has lost it. He looks to be getting some confidence back anyway and seems to be taking more responsibility so it was possibly a confidence thing and having ronaldo there was meant he didn't need to be the main man, now he does and he is reveling in it.

The change in his approach to a game and style is undeniable, even if he is showing signs of rediscovering it.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
People go on about Torres and Drogba but I'd rather have Rooney ahead of either of them.Drogba is probably the most in form player in the league at the moment but has he done more than Rooney over the last five and a half years as an overall?If you look at the career statistics of Rooney and Torres in terms of goals(including internationals) there isn't a great deal of difference. Okay Torres played for a limited side in Spain but Rooney was hardly playing for a great side at Everton. And Rooney has had to be more versatile and clearly has more to his game than Torres in my opinion. Rooney may have his faults on the pitch but he doesn't tend to sulk in the way that Torres and Drogba do.

People go about Rooney not having enough stand out games and not being consistent but how often has Torres scored in a game but done little else. Rooney has had countless games where he hasn't scored but still played very well.His best season has probably been the 05-06 one.If we had either Torres or Drogba instead of Rooney since September 2004 I do not think we would have done quite as well.

jb8521

The past 3 or 4 games his explosiveness of old seems to be coming back he seems a yard quicker than he has done in a while and hes starting to power the shots in again and knock people off the ball

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney's form is fascinating.

You can usually spot the exact moment when he suddenly finds form again, after some subdued displays.

This latest slump ended within moments of fecking up the back pass against Hull. Since then he's been on fire.

I guess these slumps will get shorter and less frequent as he matures. He's going to be ridiculously good in another season or two.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Wayne Rooney admits he would be stunned if he failed to eclipse his best seasonal goal tally of 23. Rooney found the net for the 15th time this season as he scored the first goal in Manchester United's 5-0 defeat of Wigan at Old Trafford. "I would hope to beat my best total," he said. "If I don't get another eight goals from now until the end of the season there is something seriously wrong. I hit the post before I scored and the bar afterwards. I am doing well and I feel fit. Hopefully that will continue."

Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | News in Brief - Fri 1st Jan

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He's going to be ridiculously good in another season or two.
That's the thing. I (and a lot of other fans) have said this for the past 3 years, "He is on the verge of greatness now". Pardon me if I take his recent display against a shit team with a pinch of salt. Lets see if he can put the inconsistent displays behind him.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
People forget hes only 24.....it seems as though hes been on the scene for ages yet hes still only a young lad whos learning the game.....there are very very few 24 year olds in world football either past or present who show the sort of consistency we are all hoping for and know waynes capable of....

Its entirely logical to say in the next 2-3 years he'll be a special special player because at that time he'll be 26/27 years old which is widely accepted to be a players peak years.

AttackingFlair

Rooney's getting a lot of good press at the moment

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31122009/58/premier-league-team-year-wayne-rooney-rules-roost.html said:
37 votes
Premier League - Team of the year: Wayne Rooney rules roost

Eurosport - Thu, 31 Dec 16:49:00 2009
Buzz Up!

Manchester United were crowned Premier League champions in May, but have just one player to show for their success as we compile the definitive team of 2009.

There is no room for the mercurial talents of Robin van Persie (7.02) and the rejuvenated Didier Drogba (6.91) in our side as Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres form our indomitable frontline.

Equally, Frank Lampard (6.79) is edged out of the midfield with Cesc Fabregas and Steven Gerrard occupying the two central berths, flanked by wing wizards Andrei Arshavin and Aaron Lennon.

Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson are the two full-backs after consistent displays for Chelsea and, in the right-back's case, Liverpool and formerly Portsmouth.

Brede Hangeland and Joleon Lescott form a slightly surprising centre-back pairing, with no room for either of United's first-choice partnership of Nemanja Vidic (6.32) and Rio Ferdinand (5.93).

How it works

We take marks out of 10 awarded to Premier League players from a selection of six national newspapers - The Sun, Daily Star, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, The Times and the Guardian - then create an average. The top player in each position is rewarded with a spot in our team of the year for 2009.

2009 Team of the Year

Goalkeeper: Shay Given (Manchester City) - 6.89

Right back: Glen Johnson (Liverpool) - 6.73

Centre back: Brede Hangeland (Fulham) - 6.61

Centre back: John Terry (Chelsea) - 6.75

Left back: Ashley Cole (Chelsea) - 6.51

Right midfield: Aaron Lennon (Tottenham) - 6.89

Centre midfield: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) - 7.03

Centre midfield: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) - 6.98

Left midfield: Andrei Arshavin (Arsenal) - 7.05

Centre forward: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) - 7.15

Centre forward: Fernando Torres (Liverpool) - 7.05
http://www.bettingpress.com/category/Football/Wayne-Rooney-now-clear-favourite-for-Premier-League-Golden-Boot-200912310005/ said:
Manchester United star went joint top of scoring table with strike against Wigan

The Premier League's top marksmen were all in fine form over the festive period but it is Wayne Rooney who has established himself as favourite for the Golden Boot.

The Manchester United striker took his tally for the season to 14 after scoring against both Hull and Wigan and is now 5/2 at best with Coral to top the goals chart.
http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2009/12/31/team-of-the-week-its-wayne-rooney-and-wayne-rooney-in-attack/ said:
Team Of The Week: It's Wayne Rooney and Wayne Rooney in Attack!

With two holiday fixtures from which to compile our Team of the Week, we were always liable to leave ourselves open to freak occurrences.

And so it came to pass when FanHouse experts compiled their Team of the Week from the two sets of Christmas fixtures and found that the unavoidable conclusion was that Wayne Rooney was deserving of TWO starting places in the line-up!

The England striker had a hand in all four goals in Manchester United's 3-1 win over Hull on Sunday, single-handedly willing United on to win the game after he had gifted the home team their equaliser. And Rooney carried that form directly into the 5-0 victory over Wigan over Hull three days later.

There is the unavoidable conclusion that he is heading towards the best season of his career so take your pick from either game when reviewing our team.

Thankfully, for commonsense at least, there was another nine-star performance out there, from Rooney's former team mate Carlos Tevez at Manchester City, although not for his two-goal showing against Wolves but, rather, for his tireless role, and goal, in the 2-0 win over Stoke on Boxing Day.

There were five more nine out of 10 showings over the week. Starting in goal, Joe Hart's clean sheet against Chelsea had him being tipped for a place in England's World Cup squad and just sees him edge out Jose Reina for no other reason than the Birmingham keeper seemed to make more high-quality stops than his Liverpool counterpart.

Stephen Hunt, of Hull, was an inspiration in his team's battling 2-2 draw, from two goals down, at Bolton on Tuesday while Cesc Fabregas's display against Aston Villa may have come at a cost for Arsenal (in terms of his fitness) but was still a virtuoso performance of breathtaking quality.

Finally, for those players on a nine, Richard Dunne, no stranger to these FanHouse teams, managed to keep Liverpool quiet for 93 minutes with a commanding display at the heart of the Villa defence until his team conceded a late winner.

The rest of the defence was a tough selection, with Fulham's John Pantsil just edging out Dunne's Villa team mate Luke Young in the right-back berth, following the London club's plucky display against Chelsea on Monday. Chelsea also brought the best out of Birmingham centre-half Roger Johnson in that goalless draw between the clubs two days earlier.

And Patrice Evra, Manchester United's only recognised defender in the last handful of games, remained imperious at left-back in his team's win at Hull although having Wes Brown and Nemanja Vidic back alongside him surely helped.

Numerous players were competing for places alongside Hunt and Fabregas in our midfield this week but the panel of experts picked out Marouane Fellaini, a late scorer in injury-hit Everton's decent point at Sunderland, and Aaron Lennon, a tormentor of West Ham down Tottenham's right wing, to complete the line- p. Here's our Team of the Week in full:

Goalkeeper: Joe Hart (Birmingham) - FanHouse score 9
Right back: John Pantsil (Fulham) - FanHouse score 8
Centre back: Roger Johnson (Birmingham) - FanHouse score 8
Centre back: Richard Dunne (Aston Villa) - FanHouse score 9
Left back: Patrice Evra (Manchester United) - FanHouse score 8
Right midfield: Aaron Lennon (Tottenham) - FanHouse score 8
Centre midfield: Marouane Fellaini (Everton) - FanHouse score 8
Centre midfield: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) - FanHouse score 9
Left midfield: Stephen Hunt (Hull) - FanHouse score 9
Striker: Carlos Tevez (Manchester City) - FanHouse score 9
Striker: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) - FanHouse score 9
http://www.onlinebettingalerts.com/news/bookie-news/Wayne-Rooney-set-to-win-PFA-Players-Player-of-the-Year-20095927.html said:
Wayne Rooney set to win PFA Players’ Player of the Year 2009

30th December, 2009

After what can only be described as an incredible year for the Manchester United and England star, both in his personal life, with the birth of his new child and his contribution to the football world in his professional, it is no surprise that Wayne Rooney is leading the PFA Players’ Player of the year award 2009 betting market.

With a recent man-of-the-match performance for Manchester United on Sunday, being involved in all 3 goals scored by United, he is priced at odds as short as 5/2 to steal the title of 2009/10 PFA Players’ Player of the Year and is backed at 5/6 to obtain 24 goals in the Premier League this season. Manchester United are a mere 2 point away from current leaders Chelsea and have had their odds cut from 5/2 to 9/2 to take the title for the fourth year in a row.

A spokesman from Sky Bet said, “Wayne Rooney is on course for a huge goals tally this season. At the halfway stage, 13 goals is an excellent return. He is taking penalties and the only way he is going to fail to get into the twenties is by picking up an injury.”
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/SPORTCOLUMNISTS/701019650/1078/sport&template=columnists said:
Rooney has my vote

Rob McCaffrey

I’ve seen some wonderful performances from truly exceptional players this week, but as the players prepare to vote their best of the season so far, there’s only one I’d be nominating if I was fortunate enough to get a vote.

I’ve seen Fernando Torres score a brilliant winner against Villa, Steven Gerrard back to his best with a powerhouse header against Wolves, Cesc Fabregas’s scintilating cameo against Villa with two goals in 28 minutes and the continued excellence of Didier Drogba, whose centre-forward play has been unstoppable at times.

None though this season compare to Wayne Rooney, who’s blossomed following the loss of Cristiano Ronaldo.

He’s the main man and how he’s relishing the role.

He’s a throwback. A player who looks like he plays solely for the love of the game, as if he’d try as hard in the playground with jumpers for goalposts as he would in the Theatre of Dreams.

He’s got the lot. Movement, skill, power and pace.

His pass to Dimitar Berbatov for the third goal against Hull is one of the best you’ll see. His effort and drive to turn the game around after he’d gifted Hull an equaliser just summed the fella up.

Throw in 15 goals and a nod from Fergie that here’s a permanent future captain of United and Wozza gets the vote from me.

It’ll be interesting to see if the other players agree.
Deserved.

OneUnited24

That's the thing. I (and a lot of other fans) have said this for the past 3 years, "He is on the verge of greatness now". Pardon me if I take his recent display against a shit team with a pinch of salt. Lets see if he can put the inconsistent displays behind him.
Personally i felt during the last 3 years he has achieved greatness if not bordering on world class, but its easy to overlook it when you have a winger like Ronaldo who has all the flair of a playmaker and the scoring ability to make RvN blush. This season he started off brilliantly but then had his usual dip in form around November, but his past few games have shown much promise

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
I could see him going at some point in his career, hopefully not now or ever though

Nah Rooney will never leave us unless its us who want or dare i say need to sell him...hes said himself on many occasions hes never had any burning desire to play abroad he loves the club hes got everything he needs here, the clubs 30 minutes from home all his family and friends live close by etc....

As well as the fact he said he wants to emulate the likes of Giggs and go on to play a similiar number of games for the club....Rooneys here for the long term.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Rooney's form is fascinating.

You can usually spot the exact moment when he suddenly finds form again, after some subdued displays.

This latest slump ended within moments of fecking up the back pass against Hull. Since then he's been on fire.

I guess these slumps will get shorter and less frequent as he matures. He's going to be ridiculously good in another season or two.
I've noticed this. It's almost as if there is something in his head that goes. "Wait a minute, I'm Wayne Rooney."

For 30 minutes or so after he cocked up the other day, he was several leagues ahead of everyone else on the pitch, and he kept that up against Wigan. It's outrageous what he's capable of. There was a thread recently on here about Rooney's moments of genius being few and far between, but he's been on top form recently in this aspect. That piece of play where he controlled the ball from over his shoulder and played Berbatov through was just mental, and I'm still not entirely sure how the ball didn't go in the net after he megged the defender.

There was that pass to Berbatov the other day and all, which few other players could've spotted even if they had about 25 minutes to assess the situation.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I could see him going at some point in his career, hopefully not now or ever though
Really? He himself as said he be a United player as long as he's wanted here. Which, unless some worrying circumstances come about it'll be never.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
did I imagine it or did Rooney try a ronaldo trick v wigan, leg behind the other and stopped the ball dead..

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You always knew he'd be the one player in the team who'd relish stepping up to be the main man in the team with Ronaldo gone.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be honest, everyone is raving about Rooney this season, and yes he is getting goals, but he still looks out of sorts to me.

Misplaced passes and wasted chances he would usually tuck away.

Anyone else noticing this?

MUFCgal

To be honest, everyone is raving about Rooney this season, and yes he is getting goals, but he still looks out of sorts to me.

Misplaced passes and wasted chances he would usually tuck away.

Anyone else noticing this?
I thought he played well today, he was the only one up front trying to make anything happen it seemed. It's evident he can't do it all on his own.

TheReligion

Abusive
Saying he was our best player today means feck all if you're honest.

The fact is, Rooney is far from being himself. Not sure what the problem is, but he appears to becoming very good at tucking away the poachers goals, but not so good at striking the ball or making something out of nothing.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Saying he was our best player today means feck all if you're honest.

The fact is, Rooney is far from being himself. Not sure what the problem is, but he appears to becoming very good at tucking away the poachers goals, but not so good at striking the ball or making something out of nothing.
I thought he looked like making something out of nothing plenty of times in the past three games.

Been very impressed with him in the past three games in that respect.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought he looked like making something out of nothing plenty of times in the past three games.

Been very impressed with him in the past three games in that respect.
agreed.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Wayne on the scoresheet again today. One thing you must say is that even if he performance wasn't great, at least he's picking up a goal all the time.

Top scorer in the PL now. He should have made the transition into prolific striker by the end of this season.

The link with Berbatov is increasingly productive as well. It is clear as a cloudless day to me that we are a different proposition with both players up front.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I honestly think Rooney's passing is suffering due to our midfield, he's second guessing his passes, and ain't passing and moving like he usually does. Yet whenever he has to pass to Valencia its usually inch-perfect.

AttackingFlair

I thought he was good today but bad in front of goal (obviously minus the goal). Some of his passes to Valencia today were just exceptional.