Rooney

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You know what's coming...

What's happening? Is he ready to burst into life soon? Am I doing him a disservice by questioning his form?

No spark in his game at the moment. So many of his attempted balls through fail to come off. He's not been very prolific this season - again.

And, I noticed today that he tackles like a spastic. He takes a really stupid and unnecessary backlift before making a tackle.

So, who needs to sort themselves out? Me or Wazza?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Had been hoping he'd improve after Coleen had the kid, but no sign of it yet, he was poor today.

Name Changed

weso26
That's the way he plays. Brilliant for a few matches, poor for a few. I thought he was ok today. Got more on the ball than he has done in any other match. He just didn't distribute it well.

Ekeke

Wasnt bad in the first half, even looked to have a few good long ranged efforts like he used to be able to. And he opened things up a few times with flicks.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Well let's put it this way, most of us agree he was our best player against Chelsea and has been having quite a good season. He plays poor today, by his standards I must add and all of a sudden his form is in question?

The lad is fine and I'm very happy with him so far this season, he,Evra and Fletch have been our best players.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think he's been below par all season.

People got over excited that he went on a spree at the start of the season, but it will still part of his usual boom-bust cyclical form.

He has lost the explosion that once marked his game. Where is the snarl? Where is the picking the ball up and running at players with it? Why does every attempted through ball not come off?

He's got no excuses this season - there's no Ronaldo to defer to, and he's not lampooned on the left.

8 in 15 this season is okay. But in a season where the goals have been flowing for other strikers, he could have had a few more.

Torres and Drogba are out on their own. van Persie is probably edging Rooney into 4th best striker territory now. Rooney isn't making assists. Berbatov has been our best striker this season.

Chapster

I really miss the rooney that looked like he'd do something like this every game...

Epic

He was fantastic today IMO. Alright, he didn't score, but his overall play was wonderful.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Fantastic talent but still inconsistent. Has a tendency to show up in the big games though.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Well let's put it this way, most of us agree he was our best player against Chelsea and has been having quite a good season. He plays poor today, by his standards I must add and all of a sudden his form is in question?

The lad is fine and I'm very happy with him so far this season, he,Evra and Fletch have been our best players.
He's been no where near our best player. And he wasn't against Chelsea. He played well - but as per, his final ball let him down.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think the problem is that we've been overrating him somewhat ever since he arrived, and assumed because he was ridiculously good for an 18 year old, he would go on to single handedly win football matches when he reached his early-mid 20s.

We expect too much, and quite frankly, he's no Ronaldo. Still a great player, mind, just not the player everyone expected him to be.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
well he hear the bar with a good effort.

Its good in the sence that we know rooney and owen can play better - we were in that sence good enough to beat Everton

Yes rooney is lacking a spark but he just needs a goal and then he will probably go on one of his runs of scoring

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I didnt think he was the best player against Chelsea - he was crap in the first half.

Too many of our attacks have been breaking down when they reach Rooney recently - hope a patch of good form is just around the corner.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
well he hear the bar with a good effort.

Its good in the sence that we know rooney and owen can play better - we were in that sence good enough to beat Everton

Yes rooney is lacking a spark but he just needs a goal and then he will probably go on one of his runs of scoring
I'm prepared to give Rooney the benefit. He's a marvellous player overall, who is not playing very well at this moment.

Owen is crap. He has a role off the bench, but not starting games. He offers nothing to our build up.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He still offers more in terms of an output than the rest of our strikers combined. Almost scored today as well despite having an average game.

Wish we had an actual pacey striker to partner Wayne up front and I'd reckon we'd see a more effective Rooney.

I do agree though that he has had a poor season so far but still our top scorer which says a lot for the rest.

surf

Rooney was OK. At least he was involved and you know Wazza will come good again, and probably very soon. I'm more concerned about Owen who is not at the races (or perhaps he is, which is the problem).

FlawlessThaw

I'm more concerned about Owen who is not at the races (or perhaps he is, which is the problem).
Agree with this and was it not worrying that he seemed knackered after 70 minutes? Must add that I know everyone bangs on about his movement but there's not much use for it when he can't seem to score unless he has about 10 yards of clear space!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He still offers more in terms of an output than the rest of our strikers combined. Almost scored today as well despite having an average game.

Wish we had an actual pacey striker to partner Wayne up front and I'd reckon we'd see a more effective Rooney.

I do agree though that he has had a poor season so far but still our top scorer which says a lot for the rest.
It's disappointing that we're having discussions like this, when it was supposed to be his season to really make a statement.

It's like there's always mitigating circumstances:

One minute - ah, he's serving the greater good by deferring to Ronaldo.
The next minute - ah, he's out on the wing.
Now - he needs a pacier striker alongside him.

Rooney was OK. At least he was involved and you know Wazza will come good again, and probably very soon. I'm more concerned about Owen who is not at the races (or perhaps he is, which is the problem).
I'm not concerned about Owen because when the big games come around, it's Berbatov-Rooney all the way.

FlawlessThaw

It's disappointing that we're having discussions like this, when it was supposed to be his season to really make a statement.

It's like there's always mitigating circumstances:

One minute - ah, he's serving the greater good by deferring to Ronaldo.
The next minute - ah, he's out on the wing.
Now - he needs a pacier striker alongside him.
Nah, I've always stated that Rooney was best off with an actual partner who does have some pace. I really didn't think this season was going to be his season to make a statement, as I expected him to go on his usual hot streak and droughts he tends to occur.

In my view we've never found an adequate front man since Saha. I felt therefore we would have to see a lot more from Berbatov than he gave last year for the team to really push on.

It is a bit annoying though that England seemed to have clocked onto getting the best out of Rooney on a consistent basis ahead of us.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Nah, I've always stated that Rooney was best off with an actual partner who does have some pace. I really didn't think this season was going to be his season to make a statement, as I expected him to go on his usual hot streak and droughts he tends to occur.

In my view we've never found an adequate front man since Saha. I felt therefore we would have to see a lot more from Berbatov than he gave last year for the team to really push on.

It is a bit annoying though that England seemed to have clocked onto getting the best out of Rooney on a consistent basis ahead of us.
I think Berbatov has improved a heck of a lot this season. He's earning his spot in the side when he plays in my opinion. His allround play has been very good.

Rooney is performing within himself at the moment.

datura

I thought he was good, he worked hard, was available, spread play well, there was just a bit of overelaboration and trying to force passes at times. I wish he'd been a little more selfish at times when well placed.

FlawlessThaw

I think Berbatov has improved a heck of a lot this season. He's earning his spot in the side when he plays in my opinion. His allround play has been very good.

Rooney is performing within himself at the moment.
I guess it's down to opinion, Berbatov has improved but not by much and he has still a long way to go this season.

Rooney might be performing within himself but he's overall performed better than Berbatov this season and the output is there to back him up.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi

The England point is interesting, when people say Nani plays well for Portugal it does tend to get brushed aside because of the quality of opposition he's up against.

Can the same be said of Rooneys exploits? , when they have played the better sides like Brazil and Holland Wazza failed to shine. I just don't think it's a good idea comparing international football with the hugh quality of the premiership most of the time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think the problem is that we've been overrating him somewhat ever since he arrived, and assumed because he was ridiculously good for an 18 year old, he would go on to single handedly win football matches when he reached his early-mid 20s.

We expect too much, and quite frankly, he's no Ronaldo. Still a great player, mind, just not the player everyone expected him to be.
Great post because of that bold part.Rooney is overrated indeed but it's because his potential is enormous

FlawlessThaw

The England point is interesting, when people say Nani plays well for Portugal it does tend to get brushed aside because of the quality of opposition he's up against.

Can the same be said of Rooneys exploits? , when they have played the better sides like Brazil and Holland Wazza failed to shine. I just don't think it's a good idea comparing international football with the hugh quality of the premiership most of the time.
Well with Nani, the reason he does better in my view and it might be wrong is that he is under less pressure with Portugal than he is at United. His mistakes are less picked on and so he can flourish a lot more.

And I wouldn't use international friendlies for much of a basis. Rooney was arguably England's best player against Brazil last week.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was woeful today, but people forget he was awesome just a few weeks back against Chelsea.

Just going through a dip in form. what I will say is ..he needs to concentrate on his passing, very lacksadaisical at times.

He'll be back.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I guess it's down to opinion, Berbatov has improved but not by much and he has still a long way to go this season.

Rooney might be performing within himself but he's overall performed better than Berbatov this season and the output is there to back him up.
Really?

The goals haven't flowed brilliantly - though he has notched some important ones. But his overall play has been vastly improved.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We must have been watching different games, he was good today. Very bright first half in particular and everything good was going through him.
He was okay, but he's playing well within his boundaries. He has stopping doing anything daring/explosive in his play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We must have been watching different games, he was good today. Very bright first half in particular and everything good was going through him.
Everything usually does go through Rooney, thats expected. His poor game would be a Gibson(don't mean to pick on him!) 20/10. When you rate a Rooney performance you rate it against other world class players and the likes of Ronaldo, kaka etc or what you naturally expect from Rooney himself in a good performance.

His speed of pass, accuracy and touch..holding off players was poor today, none of these aspects has anything to do with a lack of explosiveness as the OP has pointed out. It's merely laziness on Rooneys part and not being fully focused.

I think he's focusing on trying to be the central figure too much that he's forcing things rather than playing naturally, and stroking around passes with confidence and conviction.

If you think that was a great performance, you must have really low standards.