Rooting for Leeds

Red Royal

Horrible football club, Leeds who are living off an FA cup 3rd round shock 20 odd years ago...wow.

That said, I wish Leeds well for Wednesday.

hobbers

Yesterday reminded everyone that their ground is a swamp and a lot of their fans are swamp people.

Revaulx

I'm not exactly rooting for Leeds, but they seem to end up playing a lot of crazy games.

Both games against Leeds this season have been great entertainment, maybe the two most entertaining of all games this season.
I like Bielsa, enjoy their style of football and really don’t mind their players.

I just wish the manager and players were at a club that wasn’t Leeds though. Their fans are vile. And not really representative of Leeds people in general.

Revaulx

Horrible football club, Leeds who are living off an FA cup 3rd round shock 20 odd years ago...wow.

That said, I wish Leeds well for Wednesday.
They are still living off being successful just at the time we were going through a decline in fortune in the early 70s.

diarm

Obviously their fans are scum, but the league needs a villain and to be fair, they're much better at football than Millwall.

I hope they stay up. The more rivalries the better and besides, they've been one of the few sides we can batter in the last few years!

Ludens the Red

I like Bielsa, enjoy their style of football and really don’t mind their players.

I just wish the manager and players were at a club that wasn’t Leeds though. Their fans are vile. And not really representative of Leeds people in general.
Its odd because every Leeds fan I’ve met personally has been sound as feck. Maybe it’s just all an act.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
As a Bradford resident I'm keen to understand what you mean here. Football, or hatred towards the other city?

Football wise, the locals have a stronger rivalry with Huddersfield I'd say.

Otherwise it's just bitterness rather than hate - Bradford has long been underfunded and descended into a shithole, whilst central Leeds is this hub of the North which you're forced into going to to have any social enjoyment in life or a job with prospects.
The Huddersfield rivalry probably seems stronger because 1) it's been a while since Bradford played Leeds on a regular basis and 2) oddly enough it's not really reciprocated; Leeds fans typically have a stronger rivalry with the Sheffield clubs and United.

Spot on about Bradford as town (unfortunately).

blythy

Fascist Dictator
I don't hate them quite as much as a club as Liverpool. But close.
Yep, agreed. Your rivals are your rivals. Personally I can't understand why a United fan wouldn't consider Leeds a rival, regardless of recent history.

By the same token, Arsenal are not our rivals to my mind. We had a few barneys for a couple of years while we competed with them for the league. That 'rivalry' was mostly engineered by the media and nothing compared to City, Liverpool and Leeds.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep, agreed. Your rivals are your rivals. Personally I can't understand why a United fan wouldn't consider Leeds a rival, regardless of recent history.

By the same token, Arsenal are not our rivals to my mind. We had a few barneys for a couple of years while we competed with them for the league. That 'rivalry' was mostly engineered by the media and nothing compared to City, Liverpool and Leeds.
Even City don't bother me. I'm old enough that City and United home games alternated and many people went to City when United were away, as some affordable football was better than none.

FizzyWomack

Take it from someone who has to live in Leeds, 90% of them are not 'sound as feck'.
Hilarious take! They are the worst fans I know. Absolutely deluded, scummy, racist .. are just a few words that come to mind.

I hope they feck off back to the championship quite soon.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I felt no real rivalry with them, having had no real exposure to it in my life time, but it's coming.

Revaulx

Its odd because every Leeds fan I’ve met personally has been sound as feck. Maybe it’s just all an act.
Well there you go. Travelling on the District Line when Chelsea are at home is a thoroughly unpleasant experience as most of their fans act like Neanderthal morons. All the individual Chelsea fans I’ve ever known, going back over 45 years, are not only sound as feck but unusually balanced and objective in their footballing views. Also true of the regular Chelsea contingent on here :)

Green_Red

I hope they stay up so we get to watch videos of United signing Cantona and Rio in the buildup to games. Fond memories of Leeds.

Abraxas

It's been so long since they've been relevant to us it feels pretty hard for me to be that bothered by them. Even now, they're not really - being in the same league isn't enough regardless of the coin chuckers. I think most clubs have that element of idiocy.

I think they play football in an interesting way, so that helps. It's a bit naive but the way they go at everybody in the same manner takes some balls or simply madness from the manager.

Lost bear

I’ve noticed that I have absolutely no problem wanting Leeds to win this season. They can take point off our rivals (in theory, pity they’re so shit against good teams) and they’re good to watch. Plus consistently miles below us in the table and rolled over pathetically when we played them. So rooting for them comes easy to me.

This is partly because I was very young the last time Leeds were serious rivals in the same leagues as us. Mainly because I’m not from Manchester. However, I am aware that this would be a mortal sin for a hell of a lot of our match-going fans (100% of our away fans?)

Is anyone else feeling a bit weird/guilty about how easy it is to root for Leeds this season?
Well, I really like Bielsa and have known some cool Leeds fans too (well, one anyway). Like their football and enjoy a good if rare Utd goalfest.

By and large though, their fans are bloody awful from what I’ve seen and heard, so that makes it difficult to like them much overall.

Ludens the Red

Take it from someone who has to live in Leeds, 90% of them are not 'sound as feck'.
:lol:

Well there you go. Travelling on the District Line when Chelsea are at home is a thoroughly unpleasant experience as most of their fans act like Neanderthal morons. All the individual Chelsea fans I’ve ever known, going back over 45 years, are not only sound as feck but unusually balanced and objective in their footballing views. Also true of the regular Chelsea contingent on here :)
Probably have to explore the possibility that in isolation maybe their fans are ok? But when they’re in packs there’s something in their Leeds blood that makes them turn into cnuts.

jackal&hyde

To have them come in to the league just so we can humiliate them and then go back where they belong. I love it.

Raw

Back to irrelevancy you go ya pricks. Couldn't even get a win against us to put in your trophy cabinet either.

RedDevilRoshi

Absolutely delighted the scum are relegated.

Hopefully for an even longer prolonged period than the last time they were outside the top tier. Maybe even end up getting liquidated.

Red For Ever

The last time they were relegated I was really, really happy, but after a few years I missed them, I missed really having them as my team to dislike the most,
more than Liverpool, City and Chelsea

Now they are relegated again, happy for the Leeds fans I have come across, but a bit more of a couldn't care less attitude this time,

Djemba-Djemba

Delighted they've gone down, especially without managing to beat us.

Played them 6 times, 4 wins and 2 draws.

Good riddance.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Must admit that as satisfying as it is to see their feral fans upset at getting relegated, I will look forward to our games vs Burnley or Sheffield United a lot less than Leeds games. The atmosphere at Old Trafford is electric whenever we play them. Wouldn't mind seeing them in the PL again in a few years, maybe after their fans have suffered a couple of playoff final losses first.

wangyu

As a non Brit I never saw them as rivals, they’re too small and unsuccessful to consider them as rivals.
I know they were big for about 10 years in the late 60s and early 70s but that is not enough really to call them a big club.