RoShaun Williams

khoazany

This season has been a complete write-off for him, which is a shame as he was close to the first team under LVG as an 17-year-old.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
WILLIAMS HOPING TO FOLLOW TUANZEBE'S LEAD

Ro-Shaun Williams has regularly partnered Axel Tuanzebe in defence while rising through the ranks at Manchester United, and will have been proud of his friend making his Premier League debut at the weekend.

At 18, the powerful local lad is a year younger than Tuanzebe, and can harbour realistic hopes of following his fellow defender into the first team, but those aspirations have been shelved this season due to a knee problem.

After being sidelined since the latter part of 2016, Williams has been forced to play the waiting game but has told ManUtd.com his long-term goal remains the same.

"Axel’s doing well and has pushed up with the first team," said the teenager, during an interview conducted at the Aon Training Complex last week. "He’s working hard and looking to try to get a place in the team.

"That’s what we’re both pushing to do: work as hard as we can and hopefully we can get into the first team. It’s what we’ve been working our whole lives for and why we’ve stayed at United – to try to get into the first team."

Williams was expecting to be involved in the FA Youth Cup tie against Southampton at Old Trafford in December, as he is still eligible for the Under-18s despite long being a permanent fixture in the Reserves squad. The injury was diagnosed a couple of days before that game but, clearly, time remains very much on the side of somebody who was promoted ahead of his age group.

"It was an injury over time," Williams explained to us. "Like a recurrence in training with my right knee. It was disappointing to get the injury as I’d just come back from a long-term shoulder injury. I was just getting back playing, so to get injured again was quite disappointing.

"It’s been quite a while now and I’ve not played a game since the start of December nor trained since then. So I’ve been injured quite a while but I’m working hard to get back to fitness. It’s also good with my age in terms of recovery, with my growing as well. I won’t stop growing until I’m 21, apparently.

"My season didn’t really start because of injury," he continued. "It wasn’t going well or badly, so it was just starting for me in October or November but then I got injured in December. It was very disappointing but I’m working hard with the physios and looking to come back next season stronger and fitter.

"I’ve been working very closely with Jonny Picot, Tom Hughes and Russ Hayes, the physios, plus doing strengthening work with Mark Hulse to strengthen my upper body and core, and also the muscles around my knee.

"Hopefully, I’ll get back next season. I’ll just work hard and see how it goes. It’s been disappointing because I’ve missed out on a lot of stuff – the Under-23s league, hopefully I would have been pushing nearer to the first team, the Dallas Cup and I’m going to miss the European Championship with the England Under-19s in the summer. We qualified and I played in the first qualifying rounds, before I was injured in November for the second round. Hopefully, the boys will do well in it."

top1whoisman

Scout
Hopefully he's fit and ready for next season. @top1whoisman do you know which of the u18s will be stepping up to the u23s next season?
Nothing for certain, but my guess is Bohui, Warren, Whelan, Hamilton, Dearnley, Kenyon, O'Connor, Boonen.. Plus Buffonge and Gribbin of course. Perhaps even Barlow and/or Tanner. Half of them have already played up there. Gomes is an interesting one, would like to see him become fit, have a good pre-season and play the first half in U18s. Chong's injury is such a shame. Strong lad, would've liked to see him start in the U18s and if needed (injuries etc) come up with Gomes later on. I think @jb8521 has a better idea overall of who might play where. Depends on our potential academy signings, as well.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Nothing for certain, but my guess is Bohui, Warren, Whelan, Hamilton, Dearnley, Kenyon, O'Connor, Boonen.. Plus Buffonge and Gribbin of course. Perhaps even Barlow and/or Tanner. Half of them have already played up there. Gomes is an interesting one, would like to see him become fit, have a good pre-season and play the first half in U18s. Chong's injury is such a shame. Strong lad, would've liked to see him start in the U18s and if needed (injuries etc) come up with Gomes later on. I think @jb8521 has a better idea overall of who might play where. Depends on our potential academy signings, as well.
Thanks for the info anyways I don't keep too close of an eye on the youth ages nowadays so wasn't aware if any will step up purely due to age.

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks for the info anyways I don't keep too close of an eye on the youth ages nowadays so wasn't aware if any will step up purely due to age.
Yeah I think agewise Gribbin, Buffonge, Dearnley, Diedrick-Roberts, Hamilton, Whelan and Warren are out of U18. Not sure about Boonen, Kenyon, Bohui and Moutha-Sebtaoui, as they are already 18, but born in 1999. Not sure where the cut goes.

PS18

Yeah I think agewise Gribbin, Buffonge, Dearnley, Diedrick-Roberts, Hamilton, Whelan and Warren are out of U18. Not sure about Boonen, Kenyon, Bohui and Moutha-Sebtaoui, as they are already 18, but born in 1999. Not sure where the cut goes.
They will all be too old as the cut-off for U18s next season will be those born after September 1st 1999.

NYAS

Has he been away with the kids in Austria this summer? Is he going to be ready to start the season or is he still not fully fit? Would appreciate an update from anyone who might know.

Mickson

Has he been away with the kids in Austria this summer? Is he going to be ready to start the season or is he still not fully fit? Would appreciate an update from anyone who might know.
Played a few frendlies with our reserve team, so he's fully fit and going. Probably gonna focus on staying fit and play with the reserve team this season.

WhoDaGOAT

Played a few frendlies with our reserve team, so he's fully fit and going. Probably gonna focus on staying fit and play with the reserve team this season.
Big season for him. He doesn't want to end up wasting his talent like Richards, Onouah, Fryers, etc.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Big season for him. He doesn't want to end up wasting his talent like Richards, Onouah, Fryers, etc.
What's he got in common with those guys other than being a defender? You mean how Richards became hugely injury prone or something?

WhoDaGOAT

What's he got in common with those guys other than being a defender? You mean how Richards became hugely injury prone or something?
Let me see, Manchester based young men (Richards moved to Oldham at around 13) who were more physically developed than the majority of their peers?

Black? Tall? Athletic? Fast? Strong?

Richard lost his place to Zabaleta after a solid 2011/2012.

TwoSheds

Let me see, Manchester based young men (Richards moved to Oldham at around 13) who were more physically developed than the majority of their peers?

Black? Tall? Athletic? Fast? Strong?

Richard lost his place to Zabaleta after a solid 2011/2012.
Fryers wasn't that tall or strong as a kid, he was just a good footballer. Spurs turned his head and he wasted his talent, very little in common with Onuoha who was always just a big lump. Fryers was much more similar to CBJ for my money except that so far CBJ seems to have a much better temperament so should go on to have a good career.

Richards is the only one I can see the comparisons with really. And for me injuries are what mainly did for him (although he wasn't super talented to start with IMO but either way).

WhoDaGOAT

He's 18. Don't need to imply it's his last chance
I never said it was. I said it's a big season for him, which it is.

Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah are his competition, for starters.

He needs to really shine at U23 level to even come into consideration for first team involvement. We are stacked at centre back.

The difference between a good season and average season will have a long term effect on his career. He's good enough to be a pro based on ability, but making it at United is very difficult. Last season was stop-start. Timing is everything.

TwoSheds

I never said it was. I said it's a big season for him, which it is.

Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah are his competition, for starters.

He needs to really shine at U23 level to even come into consideration for first team involvement. We are stacked at centre back.

The difference between a good season and average season will have a long term effect on his career. He's good enough to be a pro based on ability, but making it at United is very difficult. Last season was stop-start. Timing is everything.
If he regains full fitness and has a good loan next year then he's as good a chance as any regardless of what happens this year. Realistically he'd have to be bloody lucky to overtake Tuanzebe and TFM in the pecking order this year no matter how amazing a season he has.

Wazza4Gaffa

He doesen't seem to stay fit... Talent going to waste?
It's on that path but lucky he can lose some athleticism and still be a quick CB. The larger issue for him which he should start considering now is the queue for the first team. He has 8 people ahead of him for a CB spot so he might want to consider maybe changing clubs if he has hopes of breaking directly into a PL side or ply his trade on loan in L1.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's on that path but lucky he can lose some athleticism and still be a quick CB. The larger issue for him which he should start considering now is the queue for the first team. He has 8 people ahead of him for a CB spot so he might want to consider maybe changing clubs if he has hopes of breaking directly into a PL side or ply his trade on loan in L1.
He's still young, he'll do well to get loans for a year or two before he's ready for first team in the premier league.

khoazany

Good move as long as they stay put this season. Few Champo clubs came in for him but I think it's sensible to move to League One and play regularly.

Bola

Not all make it,, while Tunzebe and TFM are ahead of him in the pecking order

Glad he got a contract at a good league side. Good luck Roshaun

Wheato

WTF?

He is mint. I had hopes of him pushing for the first team in the next 18 months. Permanent deal? Should be a loan? I hope to feck that we have a buy back clause set up.

Robertd0803

Little bit suprised at this move but guess he needed to play football.

I made the mistake of going in to the comments on the United Facebook page.... I should have known better. Full of such wisdom as selling Roshaun will free up money for Coutinho....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
WTF?

He is mint. I had hopes of him pushing for the first team in the next 18 months. Permanent deal? Should be a loan? I hope to feck that we have a buy back clause set up.
There’s no way we’d be buying him back even if he impressed at Shrewsbury Town!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
WTF?

He's not. His development really stalled these last few years, he hadn't a chance of making it here so the move makes sense.

Henning Bergs shiny boots

Disappointing he hasn't kicked on. Writing was on the wall when he didn't even make the bench against Reading with only one first team centre half available