Rounding the keeper

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Keepers don't tend to rush out as much anymore. Bernard rounded de Gea last week but fecked up the finish. It's actually a lot harder than it looks.

Also, centre backs are faster now than they were in the 90s/2000s

FujiVice

Didnt Lukaku round the keeper and put it wide against Spurs this season?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Players still do it but seem to miss or lose the duel with the keeper more often. Better keepers and faster pitches might be reasons.

Maccataq

I saw Nani's winning goal vs City in the community shield the other day - he made it look easy! Very pleasing to see it done well and it would be nice to see more. I think keepers stand up better these days.

MAME DIOUF 32

It's probably a stats thing. Someone will be watching a load of video and if they find that shooting is typically more likely to result in a goal, that's how players will be coached.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Any excuse to post my favourite goal of all time.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Ronaldo is an anamoly and can't be used as proof that players no longer round goalkeepers as much as they used to. Even during his time, he was doing it more often, and with a much higher success rate, than anyone around.

arthurka

There were some players as good or even better than Ronaldo rounding keepers in the 90's

Roberto Baggio for one was great at it.

Harold_Giles

I noticed in Ronaldo's video, he often got the goalkeepers hands around his legs.
In todays game I think alot of players would just dive, rather than finishing those chances.

KanieKaned

I think in todays game forwards prefer hitting the ball earlier in a 1v1 not allowing a keeper to set themselves and try read what the next movement might be. R9 back in the day just loved dumping people on their arses.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Ruud did it quite a bit. It's not all speed and pure dribbling. Sometimes it's the best finish on.

meamth

Didn't George Best renowned for this? toying with everyone on the pitch, referee included.

MuFc_1992

Lukaku has rounded the keeper twice and missed both this year. Burnley and Spurs.

What stands out to me there is his movement and the quality of the through balls.

You could count on one hand how many times Lukaku has made an off the shoulder run this season like any of those in that video
It's not called rounding the keeper if you end up with angle so acute that you might as well have taken the shot in the first place.

Anustart89

Ronaldo is very overrated on here. Half his goals are just tap-ins into an empty net with the goalkeeper in no-mans land, as evidenced by the video in the OP

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Striking the ball early will generally be more effective than trying to round the keeper.

Even Ronaldo for as good as he was managed to overdid it sometimes.

montpelier

This is where I think the game has changed its shape because of the offside changes.

Because offside was the main defensive tactic, teams were always 'coming out' they were always pressing towards the halfway line. A defence splitting pass was a major attacking weapon, onside attacker going one way, defence pushing up in the other, space in behind (like 50 yards of it) forward has a long clear run on goal. You tend not to see that so much these days. Sweeper keepers weren't really a thing either, so he would stand & wait to be gone around on the edge of the box.

And yes, I think players do prefer to do the dink thing now.

Utd beat Newcastle 5-0 in 1984/85 season (it's on youtube) - 3 of the goals are scored from players going round the keeper. Olsen, Strachan & Remi Moses. None of them like I've just described though, obviously.

George Best vs. Chelsea when Chopper Harris tries to bring him down & there's a Hoddle one which is nice, because he runs from halfway & fools the keeper without touching the ball.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
A lot of these clips here show players known for their skill on the ball, as well as being famous for their quick wits and invention, bluffing, bamboozling and outwitting the keeper. So has the modern game, with it's money and win at all costs mentality, slavish commitment to statistical analysis and the hard drilling of team systems in order to make the most out of the ever narrowing finer margins, perhaps had a dulling effect on a players natural imagination and playful instincts?

The likes of Baggio, Kanu, Ronaldo, Romario have a trickery to them that doesn't seem as common amongst the top players these days.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A lot of these clips here show players known for their skill on the ball, as well as being famous for their quick wits and invention, bluffing, bamboozling and outwitting the keeper. So has the modern game, with it's money and win at all costs mentality, slavish commitment to statistical analysis and the hard drilling of team systems in order to make the most out of the ever narrowing finer margins, perhaps had a dulling effect on a players natural imagination and playful instincts?

The likes of Baggio, Kanu, Ronaldo, Romario have a trickery to them that doesn't seem as common amongst the top players these days.
Very true.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Is defences focusing on playing the offside trap not the main difference?

I’m sure you used to have failed offside attempts leaving strikers one-on-one in loads of time and space, which never happens now. You hardly even see strikers get one-on-ones these days.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Might just be a ‘weird feeling of football’ but it doesn’t seem like there’s as many one on ones these days.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This is where I think the game has changed its shape because of the offside changes.

Because offside was the main defensive tactic, teams were always 'coming out' they were always pressing towards the halfway line. A defence splitting pass was a major attacking weapon, onside attacker going one way, defence pushing up in the other, space in behind (like 50 yards of it) forward has a long clear run on goal. You tend not to see that so much these days. Sweeper keepers weren't really a thing either, so he would stand & wait to be gone around on the edge of the box.

And yes, I think players do prefer to do the dink thing now.

Utd beat Newcastle 5-0 in 1984/85 season (it's on youtube) - 3 of the goals are scored from players going round the keeper. Olsen, Strachan & Remi Moses. None of them like I've just described though, obviously.

George Best vs. Chelsea when Chopper Harris tries to bring him down & there's a Hoddle one which is nice, because he runs from halfway & fools the keeper without touching the ball.
Aye. The relaxation of the offside rule means a lot of deep or third man runs get tracked, whereas previously the lazy striker would rule everybody offside.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Robben should have done it to Casillas in 2010.

Biggest regret in our country's history.

Moriarty

Goalies are not coached to rush out like a headless chicken in a one on one anymore.
They weren't back in the day either. More often than not, a goalkeeper who kept his cool could get down at the forward's feet and grab the ball, if he was quick enough. I've seen goalies like Banks, Stepney, Clemence, and Jennings all rob forwards in a one-on-one. Mind you, I've seen George Best make mugs out of the best of them.

Web of Bissaka

Round the Keeper = Beat the keeper + Finish it.

The later 2nd step is where I see many players fail. The usual cause of success is the first step -- how they beat the keeper, other than their finishing abilities.

More spaces there is, the easier.
The more and further keeper rush out, the more spaces there is.

Common method aka the lowest level is to kick the ball further than the keeper left or right, then the player would rush to the ball and try to kick it in. These isn't a good skill. Rushing doesn't help. Seen many players lose their composure, balance and aiming to finish it well. The further away it is, the tighter the angle, harder to finish. Better level of this is done by better players who have good ball control and dribbling skills but most importantly good finishing.
Argument can be made it's his weaker foot. Still a bad finish.

Ronaldo 9 method is a higher level of that one. We knew he's that good dribble past keepers with ease, ball control is insane, the distance traveled with the ball and angle of shooting are "controllable" so he gets to keep his composure. Finishing is too clinical. No problem if there are small nor wider spaces, or if the keeper have to rush out. Not a problem at all for him. Messi is that good at it. Other than the dribbling, ball control, agile, composure and finishing tools, it's the "eye" tool that helps a lot.

I think why CR doesn't do it too often eventhough he have most of the tool is he doesn't read defenders when dribbling, his eye is too focus on the ball. I mean Messi's dribbling game - he looks at how defenders challenging him, their body postures and their legs (there are direction and he goes the other way if that make sense). Ronaldo 9's style of dribbling is also like this - he looks at challenging defenders, his eyes is not totally on just the ball. Maybe it's natural instinct, no idea. Both of them look at how the keeper challenge, then round them easily. I've seen Sanchez tried this (he have good balance, composed, good dribbling skill, agile and good ball control and look at keeper), just not that consistent nor that good. Martial theoretically should be able to do this (composed, good ball control, balance, agile and I think he reads players when dribbling), but it does also need confidence and the balls to even try to pull it off.
Try to notice Ronaldo9's eyesight in the OP video.

Miss but the skill is clear. Notice he's looking at the surrounding to build up composure, just mistimed to finish it at the end.

Messi and CRonaldo. Many of these are not round keeper. Those moments that did, try to notice their eyesight -- Ronaldo does at times watch keepers when shooting, not when dribbling, while Messi at times during both.

Kanu's mastery level style :pafter google, damn this guy is so good at it but not too famous. Notice his eye facing challengers and relax composure facing keeper. That towering confidence damn. Even a better master than R9, he makes it look so effortless but R9 makes it iconic.
Not rushing it when facing the keeper is also useful.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution

Was just about to post something in a similar vein.

Seems like attackers these days are measured by other factors like workrate, holdup play, athleticism, etc. “Fox in the box” has become a perjorative term as it assumes the player does nothing outside of it. Pure skills in terms of definition, creativity and trickery do not seem to be a focus of coaches.

RedStarUnited

All this talk about speed and dribbling ability, its really not necessary. Loads of great slow strikers did it.

Its probably just being coached out of strikers right now thats all.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it is just the current generation of strikers. Hardly anyone who's got the skill set to do it. You need footwork, body feints, ball control and anticipation. Hardly any of the current strikers have these abilities. You'd need players like Henry, R9, Romario to do it but these kind of "street footballers" aren't very common currently. Don't know if it is coaching, tactical changes or simply a generation thing but the latest world class strikers were different types. Aubameyang would have the skill set to do it and from the top of my memory I believe I've seen him doing it quite a few times.