Rounding the keeper

MiceOnMeth

Sadly a lot of the the magic from R9s game would be coached out of him today.
Still, imagine a modern R9 with today's nutrition, sports science and some luck with injuries :drool:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sadly a lot of the the magic from R9s game would be coached out of him today.
Still, imagine a modern R9 with today's nutrition, sports science and some luck with injuries :drool:
His opponents would also have today’s nutrition and sports science so the net gain wouldn’t be all that.

MiceOnMeth

His opponents would also have today’s nutrition and sports science so the net gain wouldn’t be all that.
You don't think he would be smashing goal records in a dominant Madrid or Man City side?

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
It's tougher going round a keeper to score than just scoring before that. Keepers have got better at delaying going down, staying bit deeper too. I'd imagine players as a result of this now practice finishing without rounding the keeper. You see so many players miss now when rounding the keeper, United yesterday obviously, Nunez for Liverpool has been shocking when rounding the keeper, this weekend he scored with a brilliant chip rather than try go round the keeper. As others have also said, Brazil Ronaldo was a freak and the ball was stuck to his foot when going round the keeper.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
20% of all Ronaldos career goals were scored after rounding the keeper. That's insane.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
2 out of 3 in terms of getting past the keeper and shooting at an empty goal. That was an insanely good block by the defender on Bruno’s effort.

Including Dalot, the keeper won two and lost two of the attempts to go round him. Which is actually decent.
Garnacho didn’t need to round the keeper. He was away on his own he had enough time to dink it over him or pick a corner and place it. Bruno’s was unlucky to be fair.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It must have been a directive from the coaching team surely? For four of our playres to attempt it on one vs. one situations... Maybe someone noitced their keeper likes to come out quick and go down early?

Cleraly thats what Benni McCarthy does

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It must have been a directive from the coaching team surely? For four of our playres to attempt it on one vs. one situations... Maybe someone noitced their keeper likes to come out quick and go down early?

I think it’s because they all saw Hojlund make it look easy so it was the first thought when they found themselves in the same position. That combined with the keeper charging so far out.

cyberman

I think it’s because they all saw Hojlund make it look easy so it was the first thought when they found themselves in the same position. That combined with the keeper charging so far out.
That annoyed me. You can only miss if you get close to the keeper outside of his box. He can’t use his hands so just slot it to either side of him and go celebrate

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Seems very a clear directive, especially when you’ve got a right back making a full diagonal from goalkeeper distribution!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Obviously stills don't tell a true picture, but still... mad that, especially the Garnacho one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That annoyed me. You can only miss if you get close to the keeper outside of his box. He can’t use his hands so just slot it to either side of him and go celebrate
It’s not quite that easy. The keeper can still spread himself without using his hands to block and if he times his charge right he’ll be far out enough to make very little of the goal visible. I do think it’s the right decision to go round the keeper when they come out that far but our execution wasn’t great. And if you think about it, only Garnacho really let himself down. Bruno was unlucky the defender made a world class block and Dalot is a right back.

cyberman

It’s not quite that easy. The keeper can still spread himself without using his hands to block and if he times his charge right he’ll be far out enough to make very little of the goal visible. I do think it’s the right decision to go round the keeper when they come out that far but our execution wasn’t great. And if you think about it, only Garnacho really let himself down. Bruno was unlucky the defender made a world class block and Dalot is a right back.
But they were both clear on goal from miles out. Keeper can’t get that far either side without using his hands, you can set the ball wide with a bit of side to take it in? Like Garnachos disallowed goal v Arsenal.
I just can’t see how he can make a save to the side if you don’t get so close that he can crowd you out. Even a bit of height to the shot kills the keeper stone dead.
My problem with the finishes is how close they took the ball around the keeper. They almost have to stutter to get the shot away while Garnacho almost tripped over the fecking ball. Look at Hojlunds, he just popped it to the side to open the angle and knocked it far enough wide that he strode onto it first time and smacked it home. He even said in his post match that he was worried he didn’t knock it far enough wide.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
While we're on the subject, does anyone dink it over the keeper anymore? Garnacho had a great chance to try it yesterday.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
While we're on the subject, does anyone dink it over the keeper anymore? Garnacho had a great chance to try it yesterday.
It's a technically difficult finish. It's no surprise that the best dinker (is this even a word?) in modern football is (was?) Lionel Messi.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We went from basically never doing this to having four players try it in the same game. Must've been an instruction.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's been banned since this happened: