Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Those quotes from RAWK are just amazing
Hodgson's comment about the Hillsborough protesters was idiotic and insensitive though. He's an arrogant plonker.

SteveJ

Scout
The thing about the protests not being helpful.

SteveJ

Scout
Actually I may be wrong, and Hodgson was complaining about protests against the owners. In which case, ignore everything I wrote previously and, in fact, ever.

Needham

I'll never forget that farewell press conference when he left the England job. Roy was a towering example of class, decent common sense, and age old humility. For shame on his ex supporters at Liverpool for referring to him as a lesbian owl.

Panixs

Supports
Fulham
As a Fulham fan I feel like I have to defend Roy a bit here. He was wonderful for us taking a side that was almost relegated to a Europa League final. He will be good for palace and do the same as what he did with us, getting them playing good defensive simple football with a bit of flair going forward. Also if you look at his Premier league records apart from Liverpool he has done very well everywhere he has managed.

These are his league places with out Liverpool
1997-1998 taking a Blackburn team that finished 13th the season before to sixth and qualifying for the UEFA cup.
1998-1999 OK not so great with Blackburn but was plagued with injuries
2007-2008 Took us over when we were 18th and had only won 2 games all season. Managed to avoid relegation.
2008-2009 Fulham finished 7th this year, I still cant believe that we managed to finish that high.
2009-2010 This was probably my best year of being a Fulham fan, Europa League final, Quarters of the FA cup and a mid table finish.
2011-2012 Took over West Brom with them 17th in the table finished 10th
2012-2013 Finished 8th.

Now obviously things didn't go well with Liverpool but that I blame their fans for. It didn't help that they all thought Dalglish would get the job and that he hung around like a bad smell taking every opportunity to say how much better he would be (we all know how that actually turned out). The Liverpool fans were on his back straight away and showed all their vileness and delusion of being one of the best teams in Europe and it was a poisoned chalice for Hodgson. Surprised to see so many on here agreeing with Liverpool fans bias against him. He is exactly the manager Palace need after their start and I think they will finish around 10th this season now.

Reactions: SteveJ

FireballXL5

Nah, they'll struggle all season to stay out of the bottom three. He's a dinosaur.

clarkydaz

["I accept I may make a rod for my own back by not bringing in people, but we are targeting players whose clubs don't want to let go even if we offer them good money, and that makes it tricky," he explained. "However if by any chance Fulham, Blackburn or Stoke are willing to release such players then I am sure we would be an appealing prospect as Liverpool is arguably the second most important club in the country"/QUOTE]
Christ, I bet they loved that one! :lol:

Reading those quotes, he eats Moyes alive

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
As a Fulham fan I feel like I have to defend Roy a bit here. He was wonderful for us taking a side that was almost relegated to a Europa League final. He will be good for palace and do the same as what he did with us, getting them playing good defensive simple football with a bit of flair going forward. Also if you look at his Premier league records apart from Liverpool he has done very well everywhere he has managed.

These are his league places with out Liverpool
1997-1998 taking a Blackburn team that finished 13th the season before to sixth and qualifying for the UEFA cup.
1998-1999 OK not so great with Blackburn but was plagued with injuries
2007-2008 Took us over when we were 18th and had only won 2 games all season. Managed to avoid relegation.
2008-2009 Fulham finished 7th this year, I still cant believe that we managed to finish that high.
2009-2010 This was probably my best year of being a Fulham fan, Europa League final, Quarters of the FA cup and a mid table finish.
2011-2012 Took over West Brom with them 17th in the table finished 10th
2012-2013 Finished 8th.

Now obviously things didn't go well with Liverpool but that I blame their fans for. It didn't help that they all thought Dalglish would get the job and that he hung around like a bad smell taking every opportunity to say how much better he would be (we all know how that actually turned out). The Liverpool fans were on his back straight away and showed all their vileness and delusion of being one of the best teams in Europe and it was a poisoned chalice for Hodgson. Surprised to see so many on here agreeing with Liverpool fans bias against him. He is exactly the manager Palace need after their start and I think they will finish around 10th this season now.
As a Fulham fan you would think highly of him but as a Liverpool fan he was absolutely dreadful. He tried telling us that a 0-0 away to Birmingham was a good result. A Birmingham side managed by Alex Mcleish. He tries to downplay expectations because he isn't comfortable with aiming high. He's basically similar to what United fans had with Moyes but we had it 10x worse.

Alabaster Codify7

Such an uninspiring manager - can't see this ending well for Palace, at all.
They're in a relegation battle all season long, whether they survive or not will be a matter of fine margins.

poleglass red

terribly run club. In a season or two they will be back, to looking for a new manager. No longevity in their thinking. How will young players be progressed or bettered when essentially your manager is on a short term contract with the remit to just keep you in the pl. Wouldn't hey be better going after a younger manager. You see managers like Chris Hughton, Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche, David Wagner all doing good jobs and not spending big money to achieve it. Eddie Howe hasn't had the greatest start, but you get my drift. These managers all have a long term game plan.Hodgson will come in and steady the ship but Palace with the squad they have should be looking much more than that

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good thing about Hodgson joining Palace, from my own perspective at least is we'll get to hear more impersonations of him by Darren Farley.

opopop

So...Roy will be getting a vote of confidence from Parish this evening?

Castia

They're going down this year. Roy will do well to last until Xmas.

Needham

Heard that game was beamed live across Iceland for sentimental reasons.

izec

Shambles of an appointment, they wont get a single point the next 3 games, they are fecked

stepic

Terrible appointment by Palace. They should have given the job back to Freedman

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Okay, he's not a great appointment but I don't think Palace played that bad today, certainly an improvement but they really need to sort out their finishing.