Roy Keane - at it again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was quite harsh about Mourinho but I think his criticism is fair.

"My only concern about Mourinho is that he seems to be distracted by the so-called critics out there," stated Keane, in his role as an ITV pundit. "He is probably paid eight, nine or ten million pounds a year so focus on your own job. Rise above that. He should be better than that, but he seems to be easily upset.
"Shut up and get on with your job. You are getting very well paid for it."
He's spot on about our season in general.
"They are going along nicely and one of the problems in Manchester at the moment is United fans are looking at what City are doing, how they are playing and the goals they are getting, but United just have to keep their heads down and keep winning matches," he continued.

"If I was a player at United now, I'd be saying keep our heads down, let's keep chipping away. The trophies are not handed out now. Let's keep focused, keep winning and see what happens."
This is a man who knows what it takes to win league titles.

izec

Spot on in both cases. If he wants to, he can talk sense. I do think he plays with his image at times just to keep getting talked about

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

100% correct. Keane will always be a divisive figure and has done and said some ridiculous stuff (as have about every man who's ever done anything in football) but he's also forgotten more about winning than most people will ever know.

stevoc

Anyone who actually did see Robson as United captain in the 80’ies would know that he (Robson) is by a country-mile the biggest and best captain we ever had at our club, in the modern game. On top of that, as the complete footballer he was, Robson is the best midfielder we ever had – That’s my opinion anyway.
Its very hard to quantify something like who was the best captain. The only people who would really be in a position to judge would be players who played with both Robson and Keane.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The man is an absolute legend, a muppet at times but a legend. For me he is United’s best midfielder ever under Sir Alex. I think people forget how good he actually was and only remember Scholes in his 30’s. Keane was better than Scholes for most of Keane’s career. Scholes is a genius I just think Keane was better.

Djemba-Djemba

Spoke a lot of sense there.

Arsenal used to get all the praise back in the day for their style of football, very similar to the sort of praise City are getting now actually. I imagine Keane back then used to tell the other players to just keep their head down and keep on winning, and it normally served us well come May.

CG1010

That's completely true. Pep and City have become the holy grail for our fans, and if we aren't like them then it means we are clearly failing. While the truth is we have had a great start to the season if we just focused on ourselves. I don't know why Mourinho is getting so upset by all this either.

RooneyLegend

Arsenal used to get all the praise back in the day for their style of football, very similar to the sort of praise City are getting now actually. I imagine Keane back then used to tell the other players to just keep their head down and keep on winning, and it normally served us well come May.
Nothing like now, We ourselves used to play expansive attacking football, not quite as cultured as Arsenal football but we weren't a 'tough to beat' team while they are an attacking force.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I think Roy is in a different phase of his career now. Still loves to lob in the odd bomb for the headlines but is eminently more sensible in his pronouncements of late. All of the above is on the money.

Jeffthered

Absolutely, 100% right. Makes silly, emotional fans (like myself) take a step back.

How much would an-at-his-peak-Roy-Keane be valued at? Silly money of course, he was an astonishingly superb footballer. BUT... Bryan Robson to me just takes it. He was something else, who also carried England from 1982 up to Italia 90 on his own. I wished he had played against Maradona in 86'. Then again, probably wouldn't have made much difference.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He said in that interview about having to talk shit as pundit and having to write or say stuff when you've got nothing to say. Basically admitted that he has to just talk shit sometimes because its part of the job.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nothing like now, We ourselves used to play expansive attacking football, not quite as cultured as Arsenal football but we weren't a 'tough to beat' team while they are an attacking force.
That's exactly what we were when we won the treble in 2008. We didn't break any goal-scoring records that season but we did get the most consecutive clean sheets. With disgruntled fans chanting "attack! attack! attack!" through most of the campaign and a monumental fecking tantrum on here after we parked the bus against Barca.

DanClancy

Anyone who actually did see Robson as United captain in the 80’ies would know that he (Robson) is by a country-mile the biggest and best captain we ever had at our club, in the modern game. On top of that, as the complete footballer he was, Robson is the best midfielder we ever had – That’s my opinion anyway.

Might have been a great captain on the pitch but certainly wasn't off the pitch. Nobody ever wants to nail Robbo for his boozing away from the pitch.

Deleted member 101472

The man is an absolute legend, a muppet at times but a legend. For me he is United’s best midfielder ever under Sir Alex. I think people forget how good he actually was and only remember Scholes in his 30’s. Keane was better than Scholes for most of Keane’s career. Scholes is a genius I just think Keane was better.
No they don’t.

RooneyLegend

That's exactly what we were when we won the treble in 2008. We didn't break any goal-scoring records that season but we did get the most consecutive clean sheets. With disgruntled fans chanting "attack! attack! attack!" through most of the campaign and a monumental fecking tantrum on here after we parked the bus against Barca.
We played great football that season, it's madness to compare us now to that side. The season we struggled to attack was the 08/09 season where we seemed to have a dysfunctional attack somewhat due to ever aging players and an inability to incorporate Berba in the team. If we played the football we played in the 07/08 season not one human being would complain about what they are watching. i remember a match were a commentator said 'this is football from the dream factory'.

The 08/09 season was a poor watch though, that's true. Although we did mount a wonderful comeback vs Spurs that season. A match i've recently watched again and god the difference between us nowadays and then are startling. We had 4 strikers on the pitch in the second half and completely overran them in a was Huddersfield were never under threat of being.

el3mel

No problem in what he said here. Fair points overall.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Bitter man. Always bad mouthing United
Nah, he's not. He criticises stuff he doesn't like regardless of which club it relates to.

Now we may disagree with certain points he's criticising but I've never thought he had an agenda against United... I think certain things at United just frustrate him sometimes, probably because he held an absolute desire for perfection. He would try to give it and expects other to as well.

I also feel over the last couple of years, he's actually started to be mischievous with his comments. You see him make a point but stretch it a little bit and he has half a grin..... hilarious. Great.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I also feel over the last couple of years, he's actually started to be mischievous with his comments. You see him make a point but stretch it a little bit and he has half a grin..... hilarious. Great.
Yeah, 'cos we could really do with more media people winding the public up. :rolleyes:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I know a lot of people who talk about Scholes only as a deep lying playmaker. Most of these same people if you ask them their top 5 centre mids ever in the PL they tend to mention Scholes Gerrard Lampard Viera all before Keane.
Anyone who mentions Gerrard before Keane should be patted on the head with a "there there, it'll be ok" and kept away from sharp objects.

Green_Red

Absolutely, 100% right. Makes silly, emotional fans (like myself) take a step back.

How much would an-at-his-peak-Roy-Keane be valued at? Silly money of course, he was an astonishingly superb footballer. BUT... Bryan Robson to me just takes it. He was something else, who also carried England from 1982 up to Italia 90 on his own. I wished he had played against Maradona in 86'. Then again, probably wouldn't have made much difference.
He might have been good, but he definitely wasn't that good.

We played great football that season, it's madness to compare us now to that side. The season we struggled to attack was the 08/09 season where we seemed to have a dysfunctional attack somewhat due to ever aging players and an inability to incorporate Berba in the team. If we played the football we played in the 07/08 season not one human being would complain about what they are watching. i remember a match were a commentator said 'this is football from the dream factory'.

The 08/09 season was a poor watch though, that's true. Although we did mount a wonderful comeback vs Spurs that season. A match i've recently watched again and god the difference between us nowadays and then are startling. We had 4 strikers on the pitch in the second half and completely overran them in a was Huddersfield were never under threat of being.
07/08 was incredible stuff. One of the best season I think we've ever had football wise. I like to imagine that watching Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez that season was what it must have been like to watch Best, Law and Charlton in their pomp.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Nah, he's not. He criticises stuff he doesn't like regardless of which club it relates to.

Now we may disagree with certain points he's criticising but I've never thought he had an agenda against United... I think certain things at United just frustrate him sometimes, probably because he held an absolute desire for perfection. He would try to give it and expects other to as well.

I was being sarcastic in fairness.

The United

Jose being thin skinned and reacting to any kind of criticism to him is nothing new though.

Many have pointed out that and many were/are concerned it would be his downfall (again) with another club which is ours this time.

I also agreed with keane about keeping our head down and keep winning.

Making a lot of headlines would probably make a lot of unwanted attention and pressure and probably make everyone exhausted sooner than later.

Might have been a great captain on the pitch but certainly wasn't off the pitch. Nobody ever wants to nail Robbo for his boozing away from the pitch.
It was the culture then, everyone in English football was drinking heavily. You'd be very hard pushed to find example of Robbo putting in half a shift/phoning it in...so don't know what your point is?

ti vu

The point regarding end result is fair. I don't fully agree with the point about Mourinho. Mourinho is well known taking pressure on himself and away from his players. I don't think Mourinho is that type of person to get distracted or he wouldn't last after his breakthrough seasons. He's always at the center of media attention from the time he set foot in England

Regarding 07/08, you're cherry picking at best. I meant bar October where we mostly scored 4 goals each game, we're struggling to score goal. And those October opponents ain't nothing to write about if you want to with that route about dismissing our current result. Our only 2 goal margin victory before November was surprisingly against Chelsea who underwent managerial change with the second goal from penalty at 89th minute. We even got kicked out of League Cup.

Bar the L'pool win at home, we're not clear cut vs the strongest opposition we faced. Often ended up close games.

Edit: Forgot the Arsenal game in FA Cup. The point stands though. The name of the game was exploiting oppositions' weakness, while being more conservative in close game to get result.

Fun fact regarding the 4 goal scoring games in October that all those teams after a decade were now no longer in the competition we're competing.

Last edited:

automaticflare

Roy Keane said:
"They are going along nicely and one of the problems in Manchester at the moment is United fans are looking at what City are doing, how they are playing and the goals they are getting, but United just have to keep their heads down and keep winning matches," he continued.

"If I was a player at United now, I'd be saying keep our heads down, let's keep chipping away. The trophies are not handed out now. Let's keep focused, keep winning and see what happens."

Nailed it

SAFicus

Thank you!

I have said it before and will say it again, we are having a good season so far if you ignore City's performance.

We weren't even top four last year so that's a lot of ground to maje up and so fat we have done very well.

Jinn

Would love to see Keane and McManaman in the same studio discussing football.
I think the latter would shit himself.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It a shame that this man was never in football management

Oh wait, he did, and he sucked at it.