g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Roy Keane - at it again.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem here is people being incredibly precious about what they think Roy Keane should be allpwed to think. If he came out saying how amazing United were every few months or so, everyone would think he was a hero among men.

I remember Roy Keane being given the MOTM award after a game against Newcastle, and describing his own performance as "disgraceful"...why you would get offended by the opinion of someone who will happily slag themselves off on national television after playing well, I'm not sure.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The problem here is people being incredibly precious about what they think Roy Keane should be allpwed to think. If he came out saying how amazing United were every few months or so, everyone would think he was a hero among men.

I remember Roy Keane being given the MOTM award after a game against Newcastle, and describing his own performance as "disgraceful"...why you would get offended by the opinion of someone who will happily slag themselves off on national television after playing well, I'm not sure.
He says shite like that to make a point though. If he got MOTM his performance quite obviously wasnt disgraceful. Hes just saying it to be different to everybody else.

The Morrissey of football.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

He was obviously a bit of a nutter and an extreme character. That's what set him apart. That and his will to win. There aren't very many smart footballers but we still seem intent on asking them how they feel about everything under the sun and prying into their private lives. Keane has sadly become a rent a quote mostly due to the fact he won't pull any punches and equally because he's a legend of the sport. Whether he's right or wrong if there was no audience for this kind of thing we wouldn't be hearing much from him. He gets people talking for better or worse.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He says shite like that to make a point though. If he got MOTM his performance quite obviously wasnt disgraceful. Hes just saying it to be different to everybody else.

The Morrissey of football.
Yeah, so why do people constantly get wound up by it? If what you're saying is true that would be even more reason not to care

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Keane says it like it is, no political correctness whatsoever, for me he's one of the best pundits out there.
I feel the same. He doesn't bullshit nor pretend to be an expert in every subject. Unlike others, he pretty much answers by saying personal feelings, which are of course clouded by the emotions of the man. It's not always right or palatable but it's refreshing and different.

I don't expect Gary Neville fans to appreciate that type of thing - a man who literally acts like an expert on every subject going (although to his credit, he's better than most).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't understand why people get so hung up on what Roy Keane thinks about anything. Roy Keane's opinion on everything is exactly the same..."it's shite"

If you asked Roy Keane what he thought about Roy Keane, he'd tell you he hated him.

There should be a TV program where they just send him on holiday to places or restaurants. Or get him to meet annoyingly friendly people.
:lol:

Morpheus 7

I could be biased being from Ireland but I think he's quality. He has proper old school view's towards the game, the professionalism that should be applied and has standards. He's unapologetic to anyone in his mind that doesn't meet these standards. I think he's funny as a pundit and usually spot on, no nonsense approach. Roy is a leader, one of the best if not the best we've ever had. This fixture with Liverpool at the weekend, that reminds me of what the league misses. I find it strange that people don't like him, maybe it's a cultural thing. I would love to go on the beer and chat football with this man, doubt he would though ha..

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I feel the same. He doesn't bullshit nor pretend to be an expert in every subject. Unlike others, he pretty much answers by saying personal feelings, which are of course clouded by the emotions of the man. It's not always right or palatable but it's refreshing and different.

I don't expect Gary Neville fans to appreciate that type of thing - a man who literally acts like an expert on every subject going (although to his credit, he's better than most).
He admitted he bullshits in that post we are discussing, and it's pretty obvious he bullshits a lot when he's attacking United for celebrating fourth when we didn't get fourth but were actually celebrating a Europa League victory and being back where we belong in the champions league. Attacking United for celebrating an historic cup win that may well have kick-started some momentum for us, yeah not a bullshitter. Some of the stuff he says about them mundane shit, is the type of stuff you would tell your mates to shut up about, but its Keano so its different I guess.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Roy Keane > everyone I've ever seen in a United shirt. Both as a footballer and as a person. His desire to win and desire to set standards for everyone else around was second to none. He was far more important to United than Cantona ever was.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Says some things I agree with, says somethings I disagree with. Some of you just don't like the way he says them.

I noticed this thread wasn't bumped when he said we're back and will be challenged for the league and CL, after the game in Russia but, alas...

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah, so why do people constantly get wound up by it? If what you're saying is true that would be even more reason not to care
This is a united forum, and hes a person of interest to any united fan. Rather than wound up, his comments are a catalyst for discussion, on a discussion forum.

Obviously, SalfordRed18 knew Roy. We hate it when our friends become successful.
Good one?

The Bloody-Nine

Roy Keane > everyone I've ever seen in a United shirt. Both as a footballer and as a person. His desire to win and desire to set standards for everyone else around was second to none. He was far more important to United than Cantona ever was.
Don't be so f*cking stupid. Cantona inspired us to our first league win in 26 YEARS. And won four out of five.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Don't be so f*cking stupid. Cantona inspired us to our first league win in 26 YEARS. And won four out of five.
We won a lot, lot more with Keane leading us. It's not even close.

That '92/'93 side was jam-packed with leaders: Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Hughes, McClair and Cantona. It's highly disrespectful to suggest Cantona was the sole reason we won that title. Cantona only played 20 games that season, for example. It doesn't surprise me, however, that Cantona's achievements are overstated on the Caf.

I noticed this thread wasn't bumped when he said we're back and will be challenged for the league and CL, after the game in Russia but, alas...
He said they're back and should expect to win the league and go far in europe - he didn't say that they would but that they should.

I love keano and wish he was part of the coaching staff.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC

That '92/'93 side was jam-packed with leaders: Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Hughes, McClair and Cantona. It's highly disrespectful to suggest Cantona was the sole reason we won that title. Cantona only played 20 games that season, for example. It doesn't surprise me, however, that Cantona's achievements are overstated on the Caf.

:houllier:

Frank Grimes

If you don't like Keane for the way he got thrown out of Ireland squad in Saipan or for verbally Fergie before we let him go that's fair game.

What I don't understand is when people get upset by harmless comments he says as a pundit, he literally gives every team pelters yet when he does it to United he is being petty. I think this attitude is petty.

Listar

Giggs is a bellend for not only cheating on his own partner, but for doing so with his brother's wife. They're the actions of a bellend. I'm sure he's a lovely guy otherwise. I used him as an example, because despite what he's done, he seems to get a free pass from so many United fans, the same United fans who'll jump at an opportunity to call Roy Keane a prick for simply speaking his mind.

You can call anyone you like a prick, it's a free world. But jesus have a genuine reason for doing so. If those above had said he can be a bit of a prick sometimes, I'd absolutely agree with them. But to generalise his character off the pitch, considering the insane amount of charity work he's done and still does, just doesn't sit right with me.
Keane's a bellend, you're a prick and I am somewhere in between.

Deal with it.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
It would have been very interesting to see Keane come up against Souness at his peak. If I said there would be fireworks I think that would be a serious understatement. Imagine a loose ball in between those two. Your best bet would be to call an ambulance quickly

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Old quotes to be fair to him. Though we all (even those of us who still hold him in high regard) know he's always been a bit of a contrarian (or cnut). Legend all the same and I agree with him on the Co92 branding thing.

The Bloody-Nine

From someone who just said "Roy Keane > everyone I've ever seen in a United shirt", too. Unbelievable.

Bestietom

People reading this the wrong way. Keano was always a winner and would never settle for a 4th place. What he means is he cannot understand people now happy to celebrate a 4th place position.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I met him at a book signing once when I worked at WHSmith a few years ago and he was sound. He was funny and everyone there loved him.

I think he just says things for the cameras to keep up with his tough guy act.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I find most of the things he says hilarious tbh. Have a feeling he sometimes goes on a rant just for the sake of it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The bloke's a professional bellend. He's basically Piers Morgan but people here jump on his dick because he used to be mint at football.
There has to be a point when you honestly say "feck him and his opinions". A lot of bitterness is bottled in him, he didn't get enough recognition or what ?

SteveTheRed

It's just his character, which he has built upon. I'm sure he is a nice guy if your friends with him but he is also a miserable feck. I think he just relishes in finding the negatives, talking bluntly, getting reactions.

Denis79

Honestly don't think any fan would "celebrate" a top 4 position, I would be content without complains but not dancing with joy celebrating.

ZAGREB RED

He very rarely praises anyone, even when he does, he will still stick something negative on them. I think it is maybe just the way is, he kept very high standards as a player and I think he achieved it by being hard on himself and very self-critical to keep himself motivated and stop complacency setting in. It's just his nature.
Not saying it's right, wrong or anything else,it's just the way he is.

GBBQ

The very traits that make him bitter and hypocritical are the same traits that made him a perennial winner. If its the price to pay for our success in the 90s and 00s under him then so be it.

DanClancy

Nothing lovable about him as a person tbh. Just a bully, pure and simple.

Great player but also absolute cnut.
Strange that, he seems very popular on here and very popular with the majority of players he's played with.