Roy Keane - at it again.

Hojoon

I don't know what he's said and I'm not really bothered to check but he's a pundit who's probably been told to stir some shit to generate more interest and more revenue as a result. No reason to overanalyze everything he says.

Tarrou

And what if we lose the final? People seems to forget it's a cup final, any team can beat anyone on the day stranger things have happened!

The league is the ultimate test for a team, you can look at that table come next week and say that everyone is exactly where they should be. Chelsea deserve to win it, Spurs have been the 2nd best team, City/Liverpool just behind in 3rd or 4th and we are on the fringe, not quiet good enough...again. Embarrassing.
I agree. It is an embarrassing performance in the league no matter how you look at it, with the money we've spent. Keane's getting flack for saying something pretty obvious.

I don't know why people get so worked up about what ex-players say. They're just people voicing an opinion, just because they disagree with you doesn't mean they have an agenda, or are bitter, or anything - it's just what they think and they're probably getting paid to say it so who gives a feck?

Rory 7

The bottom line on all of this is Jose at the start of the season was hoping we'd be challenging for the title. We've fallen well short. Some would say emabarassingly short. I'd agree.

Son Of Sam

United had the better League season. Liverpool had a their one in twenty years freak season. I'd prefer us to get back to more consistency in the league. Mind you we are pretty consistent in the league since Fergie left.
How can you have a better season without any trophy to show for it? I'd rather win a trophy, I dunno about you.

Liverpool qualified for CL the following season just like United but they had a trophy to show for their efforts while United battled it out in the FA cup against Arsenal & lost in the shootout.

Rory 7

I don't know what he's said and I'm not really bothered to check but he's a pundit who's probably been told to stir some shit to generate more interest and more revenue as a result. No reason to overanalyze everything he says.
Well your contribution is really valuable then isn't it :lol:

Rory 7

How can you have a better season without any trophy to show for it? I'd rather win a trophy, I dunno about you.

Liverpool qualified for CL the following season just like United but they had a trophy to show for their efforts while United battled it out in the FA cup against Arsenal & lost in the shootout.
United had a better season in the league. They finished third, how many points ahead of Liverpool? Its really not that difficult a concept. They had a better season in the league.

Manny

Grammar Police
All Keane's comment show is how soft our fans are.

We've been massively shite despite a LC win and the Europa semi, but Keane can't say that on ITV :lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Don't forget that when Liverpool & Chelsea won the CL, they both finished 5th. We've played a lot of games this season, an awful lot, and if we end up in the CL by virtue of winning the EL then it will have been worth sacrificing the league for. If not, well, it's quite a lot shit.

ants7

I think it's more to Jose not United. I have been thinking he's holding an agenda against Mourinho since their problem while he was at Villa, remember this photo ?

Keane has always been a character who takes arguments to a personal level, always.
ha ha, that's a great picture.

We've definitely not been good enough in Premier League. No excuses there (including lack of players, etc. That's simply failed management). Actually, the number of games we have drawn this season is an embarrassment. I could accept losing to so-called "top four" teams but drawing at home to some of teams we have drawn, that's laughable.

The season overall for me is not a total embarrassment as we will not finish empty-handed. It offers some consolation.

Ralph MIlne

Son Of Sam said:
Chelsea already won the league in 04/05. So Roy Keane was the captain of the United team that trailed Chelsea from August 2004 to May 2005. What did he do then to arrest the decline?

If my memory serves me right, Keane was at Stamford Bridge in our first game of the season against Mourinho. We were outclassed in every department of the game. If we are an embarrassment now, Keane was an embarrassment then by the same token.
You're nuts.
:lol::lol::lol:

Keenst

Keane clearly has an axe to grind with United as alot of his criticism isn't even constructive. If you're paid to talk about football I at least expect some insight rather than simple opinion although I can see why some enjoy his 'straight talking' reputation.

I was a big Keane fan. Great player. But @Son Of Sam does have a point. He was hardly the best manager in the game and caused plenty of disruption along the way.
Many United fans just can't seem to take it coming from Keano but he talks the same way about every big club, not just United. The disdain he shows for Arsenal is hilarious.

SteveTheRed

Love that people argue against Keane's comments with "Where would we be in the League with Keane as manager" "Useless manager shouldn't comment on Mourinho"

Yet we have a forum full of thousands of armchair fans calling everyone under the sun "Embarrassing" "Disgrace" and it's fair game, but a pundit says something and we are all delicate flowers.

Son Of Sam

United had a better season in the league. They finished third, how many points ahead of Liverpool? Its really not that difficult a concept. They had a better season in the league.
The question is who had the better season overall? The league isn't the only competition one can win in a season?

I would rather finish 4th and win CL every season than finish 2nd every season in the league without a trophy.

It's the trophy that counts - not the number of 2nd/3rd positions. Finishing second is a good effort but when you don't win trophy with it, you are a nearly man.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
I'm glad we have a pundit airing popular fan opinion. It's better that than silence.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm glad we have a pundit airing popular fan opinion. It's better that than silence.
It isn't necessarily popular though - for me and no doubt many others, winning 2 trophies in a season would be excellent work by Jose and the squad.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
The problem with Roy Keane now is that even when he has a point, it's hard to take him seriously. He's lost credibility with a long pattern of statements that come across as bitter and deliberately antagonising.
Only because some people don't like hearing the truth! He's 100% correct and he was right with the top 4, a club of our magnitude and spending power should at the very least be challenging for the title, and champions league football should be a given every season...we sound like Liverpool 'aiming for top 4'. The man say's it how he see's it whether you agree with him or not! We have to face it..It's a fair assessement.

Art

Art the artist
He still holds United to the standards set by Ferguson. To achieve that with another manager takes time. There is some truth in what he has said.

If we had a Keane on the pitch, we'd be winning the league.

MoskvaRed

He still holds United to the standards set by Ferguson. To achieve that with another manager takes time. There is some truth in what he has said.

If we had a Keane on the pitch, we'd be winning the league.
We won't get to the standards set by Ferguson - no one individual in the 130 year history of league football in England has ever dominated to that extent. The sooner we accept that, the better for the collective mental health of this forum. We can of course do a lot better than 6th and 20 points off top, and I am confident we will do so next year with the right buys over the summer.

iportman

It isn't necessarily popular though - for me and no doubt many others, winning 2 trophies in a season would be excellent work by Jose and the squad.
It would , but even getting through tonight we will probably play a very good young and hungry Ajax side so winning 2 cups is far from guaranteed . So where does that leave us , 6th in the league , 20+ points of the pace , not in champions league , and having spent hundreds of millions , Keanes right , embarrassing .

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love that people argue against Keane's comments with "Where would we be in the League with Keane as manager" "Useless manager shouldn't comment on Mourinho"

Yet we have a forum full of thousands of armchair fans calling everyone under the sun "Embarrassing" "Disgrace" and it's fair game, but a pundit says something and we are all delicate flowers.
This. Everyone from Keane to Gary and Phil Neville is an idiot because they are overly critical or support Rooney or something else. Hargreaves and Owen are crap because they are always talking shit. All of them highly successful ex players who know more about the ins and outs of the game than any of us.

Yet people here who have done nothing compared to them will be sitting and branding them as miserable twats or morons or something like that. If the Caf was so full of experts then the guys on here would be sitting on TV and making money.

If those guys played for so long and are being paid to speak their mind, by TV companies who for sure don't like giving them money as charity, then they must make some valid points even if we all don't agree with them

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don't even need to have seen any quotes to guess it

"Jose, fraud...conned everyone, it's United, even 2 cups and champions league isn't good enough, 5/6th, Pogba, £100s million, blah blah"

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This. Everyone from Keane to Gary and Phil Neville is an idiot because they are overly critical or support Rooney or something else. Hargreaves and Owen are crap because they are always talking shit. All of them highly successful ex players who know more about the ins and outs of the game than any of us.

Yet people here who have done nothing compared to them will be sitting and branding them as miserable twats or morons or something like that. If the Caf was so full of experts then the guys on here would be sitting on TV and making money.

If those guys played for so long and are being paid to speak their mind, by TV companies who for sure don't like giving them money as charity, then they must make some valid points even if we all don't agree with them
I was with you until the appeal to authority.

Theonas

Scout
Only because some people don't like hearing the truth! He's 100% correct and he was right with the top 4, a club of our magnitude and spending power should at the very least be challenging for the title, and champions league football should be a given every season...we sound like Liverpool 'aiming for top 4'. The man say's it how he see's it whether you agree with him or not! We have to face it..It's a fair assessement.
But I totally agree that it's embarrassing. I think the fans trying to suggest that winning the League Cup and Europa League is a success and evidence that we are better than some of our rivals are ridiculous. My point was that when you cry wolf too many times, you hurt your own credibility even when you have a point. Roy Keane has many comments in the past that came across very bitter or vindictive, sometimes they were overly emotional. This makes it hard for fans to take him seriously when he has a point like now.

Verbalkint

Van Gaal got us into the CL and in both seasons, achieved a high league finish than what we will probably do this year.
Good point. I just think that would be it with LvG. Jose, on the other hand is the man to bring titles to OT. Just my opinion, hope i'm not wrong about this :)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is a great list by F365 - http://www.football365.com/news/an-extensive-list-of-things-that-annoy-roy-keane

An extensive list of things that annoy Roy Keane

Blue (NOT the boyband)
“I don’t like f*****’ blue. City were blue. Rangers were blue. My biggest rivals were blue. Is that childish? I couldn’t feel it – the chemistry.”

Budweiser adverts (and Robbie Savage)
“It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be f****** signing that.'”

Writing a column for The Sun
“I did it for a while – for The Sun. Again, I was being told, ‘It’s easy money’. I gave it a go, but I ran out of steam. I hated it. Every Friday or Saturday, I’d be down the phone to a journalist giving my verdict on everything. There has to be a point when you honestly say ‘I’ve no opinion on that.'”

ABBA
“What really worried me was that none of the players – not one – said: ‘Get that s*** off.’ They were going out to play a match, men versus men, testosterone levels were high. You’ve got to hit people at pace. F******’ ‘Dancing Queen.’ It worried me. I didn’t have as many leaders as I thought.”

Talking to people
“The idea of travelling to the matches and meeting people for a cup of tea at half-time. Let me tell you that doesn’t rock my boat. Sometimes when you go to these grounds you can’t even get a decent cup of tea and make a lot of small talk with people you don’t want to have small talk with. You bump into lots of idiots on your travels so don’t be kidded that it’s all glamorous.”

Working as a pundit
“It’s an easy gig. I don’t like easy gigs. When I heard: ‘I liked your commentary last night’. I knew I was only talking bulls*** like the rest of them. Hopefully my bulls*** was a bit better. I wanted to do something that excited me. TV work didn’t excite me.”

The Class of 92 concept
“The Class of ’92 – all good players but their role at the club has been exaggerated. The Class of ’92 seems to have grown its own legs. It has become a brand. It’s as if they were a team away from a team and they are not shy of plugging in to it.”

American owners
“It’s particularly the Americans. They seem to love a coach who’s got the whistle around his neck, a clipboard and a tan, and really white teeth. That gives you a chance.”

Brothers embracing each other
“The boy, Pogba, he’s a bit of a free spirit, a bit of a character. But I think it was a little bit over the top tonight – before the game and at half-time. They’ve spoke more tonight than I have to any of my brothers in the last five years. All this stuff before and after the game. It’s a lot of nonsense – but that’s the modern player, I’m afraid.”

Manchester United’s home fans
“Our fans away from home are as good as any, but some of them come here and you have to wonder do they understand the game of football? I don’t think some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell football, never mind understand it.”

Mick McCarthy
“Who the f*** do you think you are, having meetings about me? Mick, you’re a liar…you’re a f***ing w**ker. I didn’t rate you as a player, I don’t rate you as a manager, and I don’t rate you as a person. You’re a f***ing w**ker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollix.”

Alf-Inge Haaland
“I’d waited long enough. I f***ing hit him hard. The ball was there, I think. Take that you c***. And don’t ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries. Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, f*** him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He f***ed me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye.”

Rio Ferdinand
“Just because you are paid £120,000 a week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar.”

Players he doesn’t rate having heart attacks
“On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, ‘Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester’.”I said, ‘Is he OK? I’m shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays’.”

Television pundits
“Will those on telly yesterday be remembered for what they’ve achieved? None whatsoever. I wouldn’t trust them to walk my dog. There are ex-players and ex-referees being given air-time who I wouldn’t listen to in a pub.”

Players who enjoy an equal relationship with their partner
“If they don’t want to come because their wife wants to go shopping in London, it’s a sad state of affairs. To me, that player is weak because his wife runs his life.”

Pablo Counago
“Pablo Couñago was a player I didn’t particularly like or get on with. No club was interested in taking him – and I was happy to tell him that. I just found him dead lazy. He went: ‘How are we going to win anything with you as manager?’ I nearly physically attacked him – but I didn’t.”

Paul Scholes, humble hero
“Paul Scholes was a top, top player. But I still don’t fall for the boy-next-door image, or that he’s dead humble. He has more of an edge to him. Everyone thinks he lives in a council flat.”

Diving
“Before the game there was all this stuff about anti-bullying and anti-racism. It would be a good idea to start wearing wristbands for anti-diving.”

Dwight Yorke, a clown
“Yorkie has officially retired about 5 times… The man’s a clown… People are going on about the game and agents and directors of football and managers losing their jobs, but we should be worried about people like him… Clowns. That’s the last time I’m going to say clown.”

Brophs

The One and Only
As much as I love Keane, if anyone can read the above list of quotes and still hang on the bloke’s every word, you want your head examining.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The bloke's a professional bellend. He's basically Piers Morgan but people here jump on his dick because he used to be mint at football.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As much as I love Keane, if anyone can read the above list of quotes and still hang on the bloke’s every word, you want your head examining.
Hopefully, not for concussion. Roy wouldn't like that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's a caricature at this point... surely everyone just takes what he says as comedy?

SteveTheRed

The quote about Keane and The Sun paper "There has to be a point when you honestly say ‘I’ve no opinion on that.'” Irony.