Roy Keane - at it again.

DanClancy

It was the culture then, everyone in English football was drinking heavily. You'd be very hard pushed to find example of Robbo putting in half a shift/phoning it in...so don't know what your point is?
Agree it was the culture although Robbo did take that to extreme levels. Robbo's drinking didn't affect him on the pitch but it certainly had an affect on a few other United players.

Robbo gets a free ride with United fans.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It a shame that this man was never in football management

Oh wait, he did, and he sucked at it.
Took Sunderland from last to first in his first season. Kept them up in his second and left ten games into his third season after a poor start. Didn't do that well at Ipswich, yes, but he wasn't terrible either.

Has been quite successful as Ireland's number two.

He's no Ferguson/Mourinho/Pep but there have been managers who've done a hell of a lot worse.

Agree it was the culture although Robbo did take that to extreme levels. Robbo's drinking didn't affect him on the pitch but it certainly had an affect on a few other United players.

Robbo gets a free ride with United fans.
Not personally having a go at you but i don't get your point

Do you think if Robbo wasn't there or dudn't drink the other lads at the club wouldn't have been drinking?

It's well known the club had a booze issue but was that on Robbo? Maybe? But players like Magrath have their own personal responsibility surely

Strachans Cigar

I take your point and no one can dispute Keane's on field input for the majority of his time here but if you want a like for like footballer who drove his team mates on and lead by proper example then look no further than Bryan Robson. A better player than Keane, a better captain and someone who behaves with dignity and respect. An undoubted legend.

Keane's a loutish gobshite who, like Robson, happened to be a very good footballer. There's a difference though in the esteem these two are held - in my humble opinion.

The Keane/Robson debate is one that runs & runs without definitive conclusion. I loved both.

As you point out, there are differences in the two players personalities too.

I often wonder whether if the timeline had been reversed, whether Keane would have signed for us in 1981 like Robson did, given the level of achievement of United at that point.

I somehow doubt it!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The Keane/Robson debate is one that runs & runs without definitive conclusion. I loved both.

As you point out, there are differences in the two players personalities too.

I often wonder whether if the timeline had been reversed, whether Keane would have signed for us in 1981 like Robson did, given the level of achievement of United at that point.

I somehow doubt it!
Very few players symbolise their era better then Robson and Keane.

Robson came from a generation were everything was taken to the extreme. They worked hard, they played hard and they partied hard. In their mindset there were two parallel worlds ie their football career and their private life. They were committed to enjoy the most out of both. Of course what happened in the private life did effect their football life. If you watch EPL of the late 80s early 90s you'll start wondering if someone had actually pressed the slow motion button. There again that's the way football was and Robson was no different to most players in the EPL of the time.

Some might think that Keane is an arrogant brute but that's not the case. We're talking of a man who allowed Clough to punch him straight to his face without reacting to it. A man who didn't sent his CV to United as a kid because he felt he wasn't good enough for us. You see, Keane came from a different generation to Robson and the current crop. Football had evolved pretty much to what it is now ie players of Keane's era knew that drinking isn't good for their career, that you have to take care of one's self to be able to give your 100% etc. However they still retained most of the values of the previous generation. Seniority was key and players can only become legends if they bleed for their club. And that's were Keane had issues with. Once he bled for United he expected all the rest to do the same. Respect had to be earned on the pitch, the hard way and must be proven every single time by constantly playing top football. He never forgot Queroz for leaving United to go to Real and he possibly didn't like the fact that Schmeichel would come back from preseason in top shape and he would need months to shed his access weight.

Would they survive in football with such attitude. Surely not. Robson would probably be lingering at Everton (that's were alcoholics go these days right?) and Keane would trigger an open revolt which would give the manager no option but to sell him up or see the team's performance go to the shitters (which I suspect is why Keane lost his job with us in the first place). However, would they have that same mentality if they were 20 year olds playing EPL football? I doubt it

SirAF

Ageist
Very few players symbolise their era better then Robson and Keane.

Robson came from a generation were everything was taken to the extreme. They worked hard, they played hard and they partied hard. In their mindset there were two parallel worlds ie their football career and their private life. They were committed to enjoy the most out of both. Of course what happened in the private life did effect their football life. If you watch EPL of the late 80s early 90s you'll start wondering if someone had actually pressed the slow motion button. There again that's the way football was and Robson was no different to most players in the EPL of the time.

Some might think that Keane is an arrogant brute but that's not the case. We're talking of a man who allowed Clough to punch him straight to his face without reacting to it. A man who didn't sent his CV to United as a kid because he felt he wasn't good enough for us. You see, Keane came from a different generation to Robson and the current crop. Football had evolved pretty much to what it is now ie players of Keane's era knew that drinking isn't good for their career, that you have to take care of one's self to be able to give your 100% etc. However they still retained most of the values of the previous generation. Seniority was key and players can only become legends if they bleed for their club. And that's were Keane had issues with. Once he bled for United he expected all the rest to do the same. Respect had to be earned on the pitch, the hard way and must be proven every single time by constantly playing top football. He never forgot Queroz for leaving United to go to Real and he possibly didn't like the fact that Schmeichel would come back from preseason in top shape and he would need months to shed his access weight.

Would they survive in football with such attitude. Surely not. Robson would probably be lingering at Everton (that's were alcoholics go these days right?) and Keane would trigger an open revolt which would give the manager no option but to sell him up or see the team's performance go to the shitters (which I suspect is why Keane lost his job with us in the first place). However, would they have that same mentality if they were 20 year olds playing EPL football? I doubt it
I agree with the gist of this post, but the one flaw is that Keane also like a few pints during his playing days - he's talked about it in his books.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree with the gist of this post, but the one flaw is that Keane also like a few pints during his playing days - he's talked about it in his books.
Players still drink till this very day. Its included in their diet (during the treble it was around 1 pint a day in summer). The trouble happen when they get wasted on a regular basis.

SirAF

Ageist
Players still drink till this very day. Its included in their diet (during the treble it was around 1 pint a day in summer). The trouble happen when they get wasted on a regular basis.
Aye, but to be fair:

“The self-destruct button is definitely there. And I suffer for it. With my drinking, I used to go missing for a few days.
- Keane

Needham

Would love to see Keane and McManaman in the same studio discussing football.
I think the latter would shit himself.
Why, because of the permanent background feeling Keane might suddenly get violent? It's the one thing I can't stand about Keane's punditry, seeing retired professionals, grown men, shrink back in reticence because of those beady black holes. That's essentially happened when Keane went to town about that Nani's sending off against Madrid.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This thread would have received a great deal of traffic if Keane had something negative.
I agree. People get twisted up when he speaks his mind without considering the alternative is shitbots like Micky Owen spouting the same shite.

As you say here he's made a measured point about United almost without comment.

Jaysus, Hoddle made a good point. Maybe we're better off coming second?!
I think there are good teams finishing first and second. Coming first gives you the intrinsic advantage of playing the home leg second and so we should target this regardless of trying to engineer an 'easier' tie.

Denis' cuff

Keane knows what it takes to win titles as a player, just like John O’Shea does, when guided by the greatest manager of all time. Can barely win two matches running as a manager.

Nice to see him put The prat Hoddle I. His place though

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

5 years ago United won their group and their reward was last 16 tie vs Real Madrid. Finish second and you might get PSG. Boring as it sounds, what will be will be.

shaky

Don't think there's much difference between the teams we can get from being 1st or 2nd really. Will come down to luck of the draw either way. At least being 1st means we get to play the 2nd leg at Old Trafford.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think there are good teams finishing first and second. Coming first gives you the intrinsic advantage of playing the home leg second and so we should target this regardless of trying to engineer an 'easier' tie.
Don't think there's much difference between the teams we can get from being 1st or 2nd really. Will come down to luck of the draw either way. At least being 1st means we get to play the 2nd leg at Old Trafford.
I’m not entirely convinced by that. Thanks to the poxy away goals rule, if the tie is in any way close the second leg can be far more nerve jangling for the team playing at home.

Treble

2nd means one out of Barca, PSG and Besiktas, provided that the other English teams finish 1st.

1st: Real, Bayern, Juve, Porto, Shaktar, Roma, Sevilla.

That is, 2nd means 66% chance to play Barca or PSG

1st means less than 50% chance to play Real, Bayern or Juve.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I’m not entirely convinced by that. Thanks to the poxy away goals rule, if the tie is in any way close the second leg can be far more nerve jangling for the team playing at home.
I think generally speaking I prefer going for that away goal in the first leg, hopefully gaining an advantage through a lead or at least a score draw, then back us to get the required result at home.

That said as you suggest the fine margins of the point are debateable, as are the benefits of finishing first or second in the group in a given year. Progression comes down ultimately to being better than some of the best teams in Europe over two legs.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
away goals should be done away with, it's not as if teams are traveling for 2 days on a bus to the middle of nowhere anymore

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Breaking news - Roy Keane doesn't like being asked for a photo. :lol:

Last edited:

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
It's fake. Unfortunately.
:lol::lol::lol:

I know he's a polarizing figure on Redcafe but I think he's brilliant, love his hard work attitude - imagine him in the locker room with the likes of Pogba, Lingard etc. :nervous:

UncleBob

:lol::lol::lol:

I know he's a polarizing figure on Redcafe but I think he's brilliant, love his hard work attitude - imagine him in the locker room with the likes of Pogba, Lingard etc. :nervous:
What's there to imagine.

There's a reason he's been shambles in every managerial job

Art

Art the artist
If our players had 10% of the mental fortitude that Roy did as a player, we wouldn't be in this scenario. Like Evra so astutely points out, there's tonnes of talent around, very little character.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Tell you what" wouldn't mind hiring him as freelancer. Job title: He is puts fear of God into squad! :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Is this real life?? :lol:

Thereare loads of these and honestly they all sound like they are true but are just made up. There was a brilliant one about Keane's response to being asked to do soccer aid.

EDIT, here it is. If you say it in an Irish accent it comes to life.