Roy Keane - at it again.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
there are many former Spanish or Brazilian internationals who are finding success again as coaches, albeit in weaker leagues like Greece or developing countries like India and China. Some may come back to the big leagues later.

The issue with the British internationals is that the money from punditry is good and there are zero responsibilities. You can't run your mouth like this on your team or your opponents if you are a manager. Many of them live a comfortable life as punditry that they drop out of management completely. And then, you have someone like Merson who criticized Hull for not employing British managers when British managers are in fact becoming more and more limited in supply due to good and comfortable lifestyle offered by punditry and ambassadorial duties.
Think you are taking a very small sample and generalising here buddy. Plus you can't blame guys for taking lucrative jobs on TV. Football is a short career and there are loads of ex footballers out the game waiting to get into coaching. It's a very competitive field guys like Merson who tried his hand at management probably realise his skill set isn't for coaching or management so you can't blame him for making a living. I'm sure you would in his position bye pass the opportunity. For a lot of these guys it's a chance to stay in the game and be relevant. I would never criticise someone for any the above (just my take on it).

Coxy

Up..

here he goes again.

And how is he wrong? The guy is one of your legends and still clearly cares.

He has said you should be embarrassed by your season - I'm not sure how you can counter that. Unless you want to turn into Liverpool, he is right - you need to step up big time.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think embarrassing is too strong but Roy Keane doesn't mince his words.

Theonas

Scout
The problem with Roy Keane now is that even when he has a point, it's hard to take him seriously. He's lost credibility with a long pattern of statements that come across as bitter and deliberately antagonising.

Abizzz

At this point Keane is just a grumpy old man, really.

He's a bit like a old divorcee telling young guys that their dates aren't anything... he was married once!

acnumber9

The problem with Roy Keane now is that even when he has a point, it's hard to take him seriously. He's lost credibility with a long pattern of statements that come across as bitter and deliberately antagonising.
Yeah I'd agree with that. He's right that we haven't been good enough but I'd say that he should also understand the difficulties that Utd have encountered with fixtures and injuries this year has clearly been a factor. It was our early season form that was the least forgivable and we did have a new manager. If it's the same next season then the complaints will be more valid.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yep! It's hard to know when it's just him getting back at someone over something petty or if he genuinely believes something.

el3mel

And how is he wrong? The guy is one of your legends and still clearly cares.

He has said you should be embarrassed by your season - I'm not sure how you can counter that. Unless you want to turn into Liverpool, he is right - you need to step up big time.
I said my opinion about Keane in the first page of this thread. He's the best United's captain ever but I can't withstand him as a pundit. Whether he's right or not, his way of talking in an aggressive manner all the time makes him unbearable sometimes. Scholes has criticized us a lot under LVG but never in such an aggressive manner as Keane. Roy takes the criticism to the level of argument, as if he wants to punch the one he's criticizing.

AndyJ1985

Keane never accepted low standards, and quite rightly he expects far better from us. Nothing wrong with that. It's preferable to some of our fans who are happy to see our squad littered with mediocre players.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah I dont understand why he gets soo much grief in here - he is a Utd legend who clearly loves the club. He says it how he sees it.
It's not uncommon for pundits to leave their strongest criticism for a club they care about. I still think Keane wants to see United do well and as you say he says it how he sees it. Paul Scholes had a disgruntled fan tone about his criticisms of United in Louis van Gaal era but he had valid points too.

SteveTheRed

What is Keane's tweet? I cant see it

But I will say that I'm embarrassed by our season. Likely finishing 5th possibly 6th in the League is just not good enough, we may end up with a the League cup and European trophy (which we have had the luckiest run going) but the League is where I judge us as a club.

The position you finish in the league is exactly where you deserve to be. A cup win is more about spirit and luck, you can turn up for 10-12 games and win the show.

red4ever 79

Again dont see anything wrong in what he has said. People dont like anyone saying anything negative about Utd. They are seen to be bitter, crazy or just stupid.

This season has been embarrasing. The amount of home draws, the number of goals scored, the number of goals scored against the top 6, the lowest possession ever in our Premier League history in one game.

However all will be forgiven and forgotten if Jose can secure that Europa trophy and get us Champions League football. Failure to do so and the season will be worse than what Van Gaal served up

el3mel

But I will say that I'm embarrassed by our season. Likely finishing 5th possibly 6th in the League is just not good enough, we may end up with a the League cup and European trophy (which we have had the luckiest run going) but the League is where I judge us as a club.

The position you finish in the league is exactly where you deserve to be. A cup win is more about spirit and luck, you can turn up for 10-12 games and win the show.
Here's the full article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4493996/Man-United-embarrassed-season-Keane.html

Theonas

Scout

We all did until it started by inconvenient. We did not believe Liverpool were better a team than us in 2005 and that was a bloody CL win. It's ridiculous to suggest we are better than any of the big 5 in the league if we finish below them.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ok, having read his comments, i don't think they're too bad. As i said in an earlier post, i'd replace ''embarrassing'' with not good enough but Roy Keane doesn't mince his words.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Yeah I'd agree with that. He's right that we haven't been good enough but I'd say that he should also understand the difficulties that Utd have encountered with fixtures and injuries this year has clearly been a factor. It was our early season form that was the least forgivable and we did have a new manager. If it's the same next season then the complaints will be more valid.
This is a good point. However he will be made to look like a fool if United win the EL and qualify for the CL.

You wouldn't be able to say it's an embarrassing season winning a European competition and being in the CL next season.

I think he's just very passionate about United and it hurts him to see United struggling

JeffBoomTetris

Roy Keane is right.

While getting top 4 is progress, it is the same stick we use to beat Arsenal, remember? Roy is used to higher standards.

And that is the way it should be. When van Gaal said,"Expectations are too high" and the fans promptly lowered their standards, it was deemed okay as we were a team in transition. Now, when Keane is saying the opposite why should t be any different? We had plenty of resources at the start of the season, so top4 for United is the bare minimum.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Up..

here he goes again.

I think he should wait until the season is over to say this but I agree in the sense that this season hasn't been good enough. Achieving CL would be a big stepping stone however, it makes it that much easier to attract better players, moreover the squad will have a full preseason together and we won't have an adjustment period.

El Zoido

Embarrassing is too strong a word, we've drawn too many games but have done well in every cup. Going out to the best team in England in the FA Cup is no shame, and it was close.

If we'd been losing those home games instead of drawing them I'd agree with "embarrassing", but being hard to beat is commendable in itself. It's a good foundation to build on, but there won't be any hiding next season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He has an ulterior motive. He has an agenda against United given how we got rid of him. The guy has a mentality of a teenager. Great player for us but very immature.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wouldn't mind Keane to kick some of our pathetic players up the arse too many soft lads in our team that dint have any fight or desire.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Embarrassing is the the wrong word, but not good enough certainly. Two trophies(maybe?) is not to be sniffed at, but the league is the important one, we should be challenging every single season, not fecking about trying to get fourth, fourth or second is still loosing.

Rolledo

Nothing really wrong with this from Roy. He's disappointed, like the rest of us.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Using the word 'embarrassing' is the final piece of evidence to truly convince me he's a caf poster.

Mohammed Javed

hes 100% right. He says it how it is. With the money that has been spent this is season is truly a disappointment

Stacks

Yeah I dont understand why he gets soo much grief in here - he is a Utd legend who clearly loves the club. He says it how he sees it.
Because many are in denial and think they are being reasonable fans by downplaying our standing and expectations all the while bigging up our rivals. If Chelsea or City come 6th, they have had a very poor showing. Our fans say "well there are many sides who can make top 4 so its not that bad."

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He should be embarrassed by that beard!

Be interesting to know what his views were on the Moyes appointment, at the time of the appointment. That was embarrassing too and became more and more embarrassing as time went on. Was he pro-Moyes? That would be embarrassing.

Why do our legends have to be like this when they retire, they are spoiling their legacy :(

Son Of Sam

Up..

here he goes again.

Roy Keane is the embarrassment & a hypocrite. I don't even know why the media put the microphone before him to air his putrid opinion about Man Utd.

He was the captain of the United team that finished 18 points behind Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05 season. Did he consider himself an embarrassment that year?

Roy Keane is a miserable twat!

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Roy Keane is the embarrassment & a hypocrite. I don't even know why the media put the microphone before him to air his opinion about Man Utd.

He was the captain of the United team that finished 18 points behind Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05 season. Did he consider himself an embarrassment that year?

:lol::lol::lol:

Rory 7

Roy Keane is the embarrassment & a hypocrite. I don't even know why the media put the microphone before him to air his putrid opinion about Man Utd.

Eh yeah he did consider the team an embarrassment that year. Thats why he fell out with Fergie. What an odd post.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

If someone knocks at your door please make sure you check who he is first

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Wow.