Roy Keane the pundit

MacGlock88

Fantastic footballer,
I think if he were English he would have been better regarded.

As a pundit he says it how he sees it.
I suspect his own kids get the unequivocal truth (but encouragement) on their own sporting performances.

Back to his style of football, we need more kids to aspire to be a Roy Keane. At the minute we’re all Ronaldo round my way.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Fantastic footballer,

I suspect his own kids get the unequivocal truth (but encouragement) on their own sporting performances.

Back to his style of football, we need more kids to aspire to be a Roy Keane. At the minute we’re all Ronaldo round my way.
Considering George Best is considered an all time great, and he was Irish, I have to doubt that.

MacGlock88

Considering George Best is considered an all time great, and he was Irish, I have to doubt that.
Feel free to doubt.
It’s my opinion.

Look at Maguire, if he was centre half for Ireland, he wouldn’t have commanded the transfer fee.

Golden boy, English international.
‘Highly Rated’ millions on the transfer.
The guy is average. IMO

Keane much better player than Lampard / Gerrard.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Feel free to doubt.
It’s my opinion.

Look at Maguire, if he was centre half for Ireland, he wouldn’t have commanded the transfer fee.

The guy is average. IMO

Scholes and Carrick were undervalued by their own country, as was Hargreaves. Your point is invalid.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Feel free to doubt.
It’s my opinion.

The guy is average. IMO

Awful example. Maguire is massively overrated because he is English..

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Fantastic footballer,

Don’t think either one is a bad shout to be honest. Two of the greatest players with the greatest mentality

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Fantastic footballer,

The guy is average. IMO

Underrating players from other countries does happen, but I don’t think it’s the case with Keane. I think it helped he moved over when young and was part of a competitive Ireland side during his career. After all England didn’t even make the 1994 World Cup when he first showcased himself on the international scene. Like Maguire he broke the British transfer record when signing for United. From there he was always seen by the majority as United’s main man and a key figure behind their endless success. For example, in 1996/97 one of the big football magazines, either 442 or Match of the Day, ranked Keane first in its list of the 100 best players in the British game. He built much the same - if not higher - reputation as Bryan Robson did a decade earlier, an English player of fairly similar stature and ability.

Where he might get under appreciated for me is more about his style of play and more defensive and box-to-box role in the team. Either where his passing game is underrated or his influence on his team is not fully understood. Types like Keane, Vieira, Davids etc were rarely up for individual awards because their role, rather than their nationality, is not as easily seen in the highlights packages. In the history of the Ballon D’Or rankings central midfielders who played a similar role to Keane have barely registered. The midfielders who are recognised almost always have the freedom to bomb forward and score 20 goals a season, ironically because they have all-rounders like Keane behind them.

MacGlock88

Scholes and Carrick were undervalued by their own country, as was Hargreaves. Your point is invalid.
A point doesn’t become invalid because you say some other English players were underrated.
That’s the case. I’d agree with Scholes, vastly underrated footballer by many (apart from those that played the game).

My inference is that, Keane would have been better regarded (justifiably so) in England, if he was English.

There is not a poster on here that can write anything that will turn my opinion.

GueRed

Keane's technical qualities right to this day are overlooked.

Every montage or highlight clip out there all you see of him is smashing into someone or giving someone a verbal bashing.

Kids today must see him as some kind of raving lunatic :D.

He was a world-class midfielder.
Technically all-round sound..shooting, heading, his passing so good every play went through him. Add his desire and will to win...he would dominate in todays game too.

MacGlock88

Underrating players from other countries does happen, but I don’t think it’s the case with Keane. I think it helped he moved over when young and was part of a competitive Ireland side during his career. After all England didn’t even make the 1994 World Cup when he first showcased himself on the international scene. Like Maguire he broke the British transfer record when signing for United. From there he was always seen by the majority as United’s main man and a key figure behind their endless success. For example, in 1996/97 one of the big football magazines, either 442 or Match of the Day, ranked Keane first in its list of the 100 best players in the British game. He built much the same - if not higher - reputation as Bryan Robson did a decade earlier, an English player of fairly similar stature and ability.

Where he might get under appreciated for me is more about his style of play and more defensive and box-to-box role in the team. Either where his passing game is underrated or his influence on his team is not fully understood. Types like Keane, Vieira, Davids etc were rarely up for individual awards because their role, rather than their nationality, is not as easily seen in the highlights packages. In the history of the Ballon D’Or rankings central midfielders who played a similar role to Keane have barely registered. The midfielders who are recognised almost always have the freedom to bomb forward and score 20 goals a season, ironically because they have all-rounders like Keane behind them.
Good Post.

I did the stadium tour on Wednesday with the wee man. First time for him at OT.
Granted I may have missed something (something small), but there was one photo of Keane and one top.

The place was flooded with Beckham and Cantona gear. Granted I didn’t see much Bruce, Pally, Irwin, Sharpe, Ince, Kanchelskis gear.

Point being, for Manchester United’s MOST successful captain, he’s not given the column spaces at OT either.

The most successful manager at the club has a stand. Bobby has one too, for time rendered on and off the pitch.
Most successful captain has one jersey and a photo.