Roy Keane the pundit

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ive heard him say he looked up to Hoddle Asa a kid but was he really a full on Spurs fan?
Depends on how you define "full on", I suppose. But he's mentioned on several occasions that he liked Spurs as a lad (because of their players - Hoddle, not least).

Milked it a bit after the United exit too - playing down his affinity for United, etc., in typical fashion. But he did like Spurs (as a kid) - mentions it in his book (published before the row with Fergie and his United exit).

England 1:2 Croatia

FujiVice

Red Head Roy was amazing on punditry tonight. Shooting down any attempt at optimism by Dixon, Wright and Neville. Cheered me up after the result. He's class.

Minimalist

He was desperate to laugh at them so tried to be objective. Once Neville etc starting talking shite he had enough. Thought he was going to shank Wright right there on the live show.

cyberman

Red Head Roy was amazing on punditry tonight. Shooting down any attempt at optimism by Dixon, Wright and Neville. Cheered me up after the result. He's class.
Yeah, hea fantastic as that neutral voice that grounds the conversation from vague cliches about being proud and lifting the country.
Wait and see BBCs punditry later on for the difference

El Zoido

Going to need clips of this, I switched off after the final whistle.

Art Vandelay

Wright was being a bit of a prick too, openly mocking Roy by repeating the word final in an Irish accent while Roy was trying to make his point.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, hea fantastic as that neutral voice that grounds the conversation from vague cliches about being proud and lifting the country.
Think the reaction should be a mix of the two. Hope and optimism because Southgate did bring a sense of togetherness/unity in to the side, he deserves praise despite making some really poor errors tonight.

Certainly needs to be criticism too, though. That second half/ET was as bad as anything we saw under Hodgson, complete lack of composure on the ball from the defence who resorted almost entirely to hoofball, and Southgate's system was badly exposed down the flanks yet nothing was done to stop it. Completely disjointed attacking play too which was never fixed, and his substitutes (including the Trippier incident) were shocking.

I still haven't seen it yet so not sure exactly what he said, but I'm glad he was there, because pure talk about how hope is back and how fantastic Southgate has been would ridiculous, needs to be a sense of perspective. This team and its manager is not beyond criticism, and I really hope the media don't just offer blind praise.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well said- not even classic Keane TBF; he was a bit too cuddly tonight

Bobski

Neutral :lol:

There might be a few Irish who wanted England to win the WC, but no more than a few.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love Keane. He has an elite mentality. Here, though, I don't think any of us English were looking past our opposition and thinking about the final - I think the song just got to him like most foreigners.

cyberman

Wright's the sort of fan that grates at you. He combines cockiness with a fake humbleness about how he's just pleased to be there while discussing where they'll have the parade.
Plus he's on every channel. Every single one

Tincanalley

In fairness Ian Wright has a point too; I understand perfectly the emotions involved for England; over achieving, over cooking. Roy would never settle for that. Winning and the killer instinct is frozen into his bones

Fergies Gum

I love Keane. He has an elite mentality. Here, though, I don't think any of us English were looking past our opposition and thinking about the final - I think the song just got to him like most foreigners.
Some were though. You just need to read about how many people were getting giddy about getting an extra bank holiday.

Tincanalley

Neutral :lol:

There might be a few Irish who wanted England to win the WC, but no more than a few.
I wanted a team to earn a place. England were great in the first half. I would have been happy for them. Southgate and his crew are an admirable lot. I think Rashford should have been on from the start. In the end, I was happy for Croatia; England did great; they should have no complaints

Yagami

Good post resistant
Some were though. You just need to read about how many people were getting giddy about getting an extra bank holiday.
It was all jokes and blind optimism. I don't think anyone went into the Croatia game thinking it was a mere formality. I don't think we went into any game thinking that - even Sweden.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I wanted a team to earn a place. England were great in the first half. I would have been happy for them. Southgate and his crew are an admirable lot. I think Rashford should have been on from the start. In the end, I was happy for Croatia; England did great; they should have no complaints
He was awful when he came on. Ran nowhere, offered nothing like as much thread as Sterling did, the Croatian defenders had no problems whatsoever with him. I rate him very highly as a young talent but think this tournament just came too early for him.

Jacko21

Wright's the sort of fan that grates at you. He combines cockiness with a fake humbleness about how he's just pleased to be there while discussing where they'll have the parade.
Plus he's on every channel. Every single one
Tongue-in-cheek though. We have that sort of humour down to a tee.

Though I can only speak for myself. I can laugh about England struggling to defend their title in Qatar whilst knowing the reality. The fact that it winds people up just means you double-down on that kind of wit.

Charlie Foley

I love the song.

I also think it was sung pretty ironically for most of the tournament which people don't seem to have picked up on

izec

In fairness Ian Wright has a point too; I understand perfectly the emotions involved for England; over achieving, over cooking. Roy would never settle for that. Winning and the killer instinct is frozen into his bones

Tincanalley

He was awful when he came on. Ran nowhere, offered nothing like as much thread as Sterling did, the Croatian defenders had no problems whatsoever with him. I rate him very highly as a young talent but think this tournament just came too early for him.
He wasn’t trusted by Southgate. Picking Sterling ahead of him seems a strange choice to me. In fairness both need to develop composure.

Conor

Embarrassing stuff from Wright, responding to being told to act like a grown man by slagging someone's accent like a 12 year old on XBox Live :lol:

cyberman

BBC showering Stones with nothing but praise tonight shows us what Roy brings!