Roy Keane the pundit

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's Roy Keane ffs! The guy is, and always has been, a bloody lunatic. His dark, festering soul that never lets him be happy with anything both made him the amazing player he was and makes him a snarling contrarian off the pitch. What do you expect? A simpering, playful Keane toeing the line with banality? He'll say mad things. He probably even believes them and, even if he doesn't, he'll death stare the feck out of you as he says them. Why does this upset anyone? Have you forgotten that Roy is basically psychosis driven frenzy in human form?
:lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I enjoy his forthright style. His opinions are there to liked, disliked, agreed with and or disagreed with at the viewers discretion but at least he's not bland. I'd like to see his shoot from the lip style joined by some constructive analysis but there are worse pundits out there.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Is he outraged? He was asked the question and said it was bollocks. Seems fair enough to me.

We like to think this is siege mentality tactics. Are we sure it's not just Mourinho feeling hard done by? Like we've seen before.
He does sound outraged, calling it rubbish, all those adjectives and shit, one could say it's typical Keano, one could say he's sparking some fake and short living controversy for the sake of clicks.

As for your second point I guess we'll never know to be fair, he's done that shit before, being both hard done by and employing the siege mentality. In the end I think that Keano is playing Jose's game, as in Jose will be asked about 'ex-United legends questioning XYZ', he'll answer that he doesn't give a shit and that they are entitled to their opinion and in the end, instead of asking the performances and their questionable quality, we'll be hearing about some sort of a poor man's beef.

Jacko21

Generally I enjoy what he has to say, but his comments re Mourinho are agenda-driven and therefore to be discounted.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It seems that talking about football is becoming more important than the actual play.

The United

I'm not Mourinho I don't know why he didn't bring Carrick or Young on. Again from what he said it was more of an energy boost for the rest of the game. You're changing the subject with tactics from my point. The question wasn't "why didn't he bring Young on?" it was "Why did he eat a banana?" I'm not that bothered why he didn't bring Young on, he's the manager it's his decision.

It's a bit of a weird thing to get worked up about by you and Keane as well. He ate a banana, does it really matter why he did it? Again my point was by accusing someone of faking being tired and eating a banana it simply is a controversial comment. My whole original point was Keane says stuff to be controversial and he does.

I'd imagine he ate the Jaffa cakes for the same reason as eating a banana, it'll give you a short energy boost. Fergie moaning about fixture congestion is pretty much moaning about players being tired. The effect of fixture congestion is people are more likely to be tired or get injured. The 2 directly relate to each other.

And i'll reiterate again my point wasn't that Rojo ate a banana. My point was simply pundits (including Keane) make controversial statements or become exaggerated versions of themselves to stir up debate and get people talking about them. In a 3 minute interview Keane said:

Man Utd is to big for Mourinho (a man who's won the CL twice, the FA Cup, 3 premier leagues, La Liga, Serie A twice and won a cup in his first season at United already)
He's "sick" of Mourinho after half a season in charge
He thinks someone faked being tired and ate a banana.

But yeah....he's not trying to be controversial.
About the banana thing and staging it. I don't really think you see what I am talking about. And you said "He also said that the banana thing was all staged which is controversial as well"

You don't feed banana or food or cake to footballers usually to 'boost energy' during the game. And lets say if rojo was in need of boosting energy, we should sub him so that he didn't become more tired and eventually led to injury or ill or whatever. So taking him out would be safer than anything you are going to feed him on the pitch. You get it now?

So why he didn't sub him since we had lots of CBs and defenders and some who can play in those positions on the bench? You said you don't know because you are not him? Well, exactly why Keane thought it was staged coz it looked fake. Come on, think about it.

I am saying why it looked fake with a broader explanation. I am not changing the subject.

And the rest I explained it enough.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
On the main topic, Mourinho has a point. We simply don't have the squad to handle this fixture list.

Kostur

海尔的老板
About the banana thing and staging it. I don't really think you see what I am talking about.

You don't feed banana or food or cake to footballers usually to 'boost energy'. And lets say if rojo was in need of boosting energy, we should sub him so that he didn't become more tired and eventually led to injury or ill or whatever. So taking him out would be safer than anything you are going to feed him on the pitch. You get it now?

So why he didn't sub him since we had lots of CBs and defenders and some who can play in those positions on the bench? You said you don't know because you are not him? Well, exactly why Keane thought it was staged coz it looked fake. Come on, think about it.

I am saying why it looked fake with a broader explanation. I am not changing the subject.

Thing is, with 20 minutes to go you sub off Rojo, somebody gets injured, they score, we go into ET, we're stuck for another 50 minutes playing 10 against 11. People really seem to forget that we've had two forced subs yesterday.

Champagne Football

Roy walked out of a world cup and became a traiter to his country because he wasn't happy with the training preperation.
So... Yeah.
Thanks Roy.
That's rubbish and a cheap and nasty shot. Roy Keane has done more for his country than 99% of us will ever do. We've all made mistakes in our lifetimes that can be very regrettable. But it's been well documented that Roy Keane being captain invited Mick McCarthy around for tea when Mick got the job as Keane wanted to air some concerns he had about things that were not right in regards to the national team. According to Keane these concerns went in one ear and out the other in Micks head and nothing ever changed so I can see where Keane was coming from if he went out to Japan to give everything where as some of the players out there were more looking forward to the piss ups and chasing the women after games than actually going far in the tournament. If anything Keane made the right call with that episode no matter how the malicious media portray it and you'd hope the Irish set up today has a more professional approach due to that Saipan drama.

The United

Thing is, with 20 minutes to go you sub off Rojo, somebody gets injured, they score, we go into ET, we're stuck for another 50 minutes playing 10 against 11. People really seem to forget that we've had two forced subs yesterday.
So you are saying we should hold off subs for those who probably needs to sub coz they were running out of energy for the fear of someone else getting injuried later?

Also we could be stuck for another 50 mins playing 10 against 11? yeah exactly that could happen when you have a player who 'really' need an energy boost on the pitch.

you get?

SteveTheRed

Well then we should just be playing a game a week. So that would stop him moaning every other week about it?

United of today is nothing like United of lets say 5 years ago in term of being good. But even then, this united will be playing in 4 competitions every year in the near future. Moaning would not make our club any easier in any other ways.

You accepted one of the biggest job in football and hardest league to play. You are one of the best coaches in today football.

point ?

Man up, suck it up, do the job more, less moaning so that we don't have to hear our own manager talking bs every other week and gets fed up with it while the team's result is equally depressing.
Totally get that , but reality is Mourinho is not going to change! Whether he is just being a moany bastard, or trying to take the edge off a poor performance by blaming a congested fixture list. Papers are all now mentioning our fixture list, you would hope that behind closed doors Mourinho isn't sitting in the dressing with the lads saying "Don't worry, I know your tired, have a nap and a banana"

Kostur

海尔的老板
So you are saying we should hold off subs for those who probably needs to sub coz they were running out of energy for the fear of someone else getting injuried later?

Also we could be stuck for another 50 mins playing 10 against 11? yeah exactly that could happen when you have a player who 'really' need an energy boost on the pitch.

you get?
Yeah I do understand what you're saying but it doesn't mean that I agree with that one ounce. There's difference between playing tired and playing being injured. Rojo was not, hence he was not subbed. We don't really know what was the situation with Rojo prior to the game, if e.g. his blood tests didn't show lack of potassium/low blood sugar which doesn't really disqualify him from playing yet, if it can be re-supplemented during the game, there's no reason not to do it.

It could all be staged too of course, even if it was, I couldn't care less, mind.

El Zoido

On the main topic, Mourinho has a point. We simply don't have the squad to handle this fixture list.
That's insane. We've already played a seasons worth of games already this season.

Oggmonster

About the banana thing and staging it. I don't really think you see what I am talking about. And you said "He also said that the banana thing was all staged which is controversial as well"

You don't feed banana or food or cake to footballers usually to 'boost energy' during the game. And lets say if rojo was in need of boosting energy, we should sub him so that he didn't become more tired and eventually led to injury or ill or whatever. So taking him out would be safer than anything you are going to feed him on the pitch. You get it now?

No I understand perfectly why you think it might be staged or why he did it I'm not interested in why he did it though,

My original post was "He obviously plays up to his role as a negative hard man. It's the same as Scholes plays up to his role of whinging about stuff all the time. They probably did it a few times and people reacted so they're asked to keep doing it and it gets more and more controversial every time. It generates the debates and does get people watching the shows they're on. I'm pretty sure it's why BT Sport keep people like Michael Owen around as well."

You then said "And what he said this time was not exactly controversial at all"

My point is simple:

He said United faked someone being tired/fatigued and got them to eat a banana
He said a club like United is to big for Mourinho
He said he's sick of Mourinho.

My initial comment was simply pundits say stuff to be controversial and you disagreed.

You're now talking about why people eat bananas.

You don't see any of his points as being controversial. You're seemingly caught up on the banana stuff. I'm not saying Keane is right or wrong, I'm saying by the definition of being controversial....he is being controversial with his opinions. Whether me or you agree with him doesn't matter.

The United

Totally get that , but reality is Mourinho is not going to change! Whether he is just being a moany bastard, or trying to take the edge off a poor performance by blaming a congested fixture list. Papers are all now mentioning our fixture list, you would hope that behind closed doors Mourinho isn't sitting in the dressing with the lads saying "Don't worry, I know your tired, have a nap and a banana"
Exactly, why we really don't need to hear his depressing moans shit every other week.

More like the fixture is shit but we are a big club and have a good squad with good players. We will do it.

Football seasons can be a bit tiresome and depressing too for reasons other than on the pitch. Especially when we are not doing so well on the pitch as well.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Keano :devil: what a legend, and he's right as well.

cyberman

That's rubbish and a cheap and nasty shot. Roy Keane has done more for his country than 99% of us will ever do. We've all made mistakes in our lifetimes that can be very regrettable. But it's been well documented that Roy Keane being captain invited Mick McCarthy around for tea when Mick got the job as Keane wanted to air some concerns he had about things that were not right in regards to the national team. According to Keane these concerns went in one ear and out the other in Micks head and nothing ever changed so I can see where Keane was coming from if he went out to Japan to give everything where as some of the players out there were more looking forward to the piss ups and chasing the women after games than actually going far in the tournament. If anything Keane made the right call with that episode no matter how the malicious media portray it and you'd hope the Irish set up today has a more professional approach due to that Saipan drama.
Oh so our preperation for matches was spot on before that?
If not, why wait a few months before the start of a fecking world cup to make a point?
We haven't even qualified for a world cup since, so thanks again Roy.
At least we have the acceptable amount of bibs and balls on hand. Well worth it.

The United

No I understand perfectly why you think it might be staged or why he did it I'm not interested in why he did it though,

My original post was "He obviously plays up to his role as a negative hard man. It's the same as Scholes plays up to his role of whinging about stuff all the time. They probably did it a few times and people reacted so they're asked to keep doing it and it gets more and more controversial every time. It generates the debates and does get people watching the shows they're on. I'm pretty sure it's why BT Sport keep people like Michael Owen around as well."

You then said "And what he said this time was not exactly controversial at all"

My point is simple:

He said United faked someone being tired/fatigued and got them to eat a banana
He said a club like United is to big for Mourinho
He said he's sick of Mourinho.

My initial comment was simply pundits say stuff to be controversial and you disagreed.

You're now talking about why people eat bananas.

You don't see any of his points as being controversial. You're seemingly caught up on the banana stuff. I'm not saying Keane is right or wrong, I'm saying by the definition of being controversial....he is being controversial with his opinions. Whether me or you agree with him doesn't matter.
Yeah now you got it, good. I talked about the whole subject of why enough already.

Let's leave it at that.

MadMike

It's Roy Keane ffs! The guy is, and always has been, a bloody lunatic. His dark, festering soul that never lets him be happy with anything both made him the amazing player he was and makes him a snarling contrarian off the pitch. What do you expect? A simpering, playful Keane toeing the line with banality? He'll say mad things. He probably even believes them and, even if he doesn't, he'll death stare the feck out of you as he says them. Why does this upset anyone? Have you forgotten that Roy is basically psychosis driven frenzy in human form?
*slow clap*

Devil may care

It's the way it seethes from his speech, like you can see how offended he is by the fact everyone isn't as tough as he was, it's why he was shit manager, he thinks everyone should be like him and when they aren't he gets angry.

He's had issues with Jose ever since handshakegate at Villa and never misses a chance to have a dig, he's probably hoping his little outburst will get him a move to BT Sport for a spot of live coverage instead of sitting on ITV's couch for late night highlight shows.

I doubt Jose gives a flying feck, he has much bigger fish to fry than Keane and the like running their mouths.

johanovic

Keano was my idol when he was playing and I tend to agree a little bit with him. It would be fun to see him in the current team, there are a few there that could do with a little bit of straight talking. Regarding Mourinho he know´s everything about the English game and when has a top team in England fighting in Europe plus domestic league and cups not had fixture problems? What´s the point of having a huge squad if not for that? Do you think NBA players complain about their fixtures? Look at how they play. Moaning about fatigue and fixtures will not get you anywhere and the real talk should be how come we can hardly score goals compared to the top 5 in the league and the top teams in Europe?

SteveTheRed

Mourinho: "I just don't think the world understand this fatigue issue...here Ashley wave this banana around to catch the eye of the cameraman then give it to Rojo, that will show them"

TheBiggest

Take it from somebody who's been in a room with Roy Keane more times I'd have likened to have been...this is a man who can not be taken seriously. I also have a friend who played under him at Ipswich, and the stories are just insane.

His is a highly strung guy who will say anything in the heat of the moment. The fact that he's even a pundit is laughable in itself seeing as he has mentioned in the past that he would never stoop so low. Me thinks Mourinho's comments about pundits 'needing the coin' have struck a nerve with the desperado that is Roy Keane.

Never anywhere in any walk of life have I met a man so bitter as Roy Keane.

The fact that he doesn't understand theconcept that Mouirnho is clearly using a siege mentality tactic is baffling. This should be obvious to somebody like Roy Keane, but as I have mentioned, he is capable of saying whatever springs to his mind, without thinking it through. This is another case of this. Surely anybody with any sense can see that this is just a tactic Mourinho is using...it's a tactic he has always used, through his 14-years in management. He's been a master of siege mentality 'them against us' and is trying to instill it in this squad.

The United

Yeah I do understand what you're saying but it doesn't mean that I agree with that one ounce. There's difference between playing tired and playing being injured. Rojo was not, hence he was not subbed. We don't really know what was the situation with Rojo prior to the game, if e.g. his blood tests didn't show lack of potassium/low blood sugar which doesn't really disqualify him from playing yet, if it can be re-supplemented during the game, there's no reason not to do it.

It could all be staged too of course, even if it was, I couldn't care less, mind.
Then you can play blind or jones in place of him. Football clubs do or should take serious about players feeling lack of energy or low blood sugar before sending them to the pitch because you could potentially black out and serious brain damages.

Also I don't care about staging or not. I was explaining why Keane thought it was staged and he probably had good reasons like how I would think for it. Just for the arguing sake.

Rory 7

Keano is great entertainment. Jose is great entertainment. I actually agree with what Keane said. But I also 'get' what Jose is up to, he's just playing his own game, a bit like Fergie's siege mentality. It's all great entertainment. Don't know why folks take this stuff so seriously.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Then you can play blind or jones in place of him. Football clubs do or should take serious about players feeling lack of energy or low blood sugar before sending them to the pitch because you could potentially black out from playing.

Also I don't care about staging or not. I was explaining why Keane thought it was staged and he probably had good reasons like how I would think for it. Just for the arguing sake.
Fair fecks mate, we'll have to agree to disagree obviously.

dichinero

Mate, on this front I'm 100% behind Keano here. We can't keep acting like José did not know now many competition we were getting into before the start of the season. It's either ignorance or absolutely lack of proper preparation. But this is José, so it shouldn't be either due to his experience. The same just seems inept at times which is sad because you know it can be different. Every Tom, Dick and Jane knew that with the EL, we would be laying a serious amounts of games and covering lots of air miles.

He had up to 6 months to get his head around getting ready for this season. He started with 27 players, alienated at least 1/5 of during the course of the season, overplaying some players imo, meddling with the formation every other game. This one is all on him. We had the biggest squad at the start of the season, and a couple of reserve to call upon if required.

We won't play the most number of games this season, I'm sure of that. So José is just hiding shine the excuses. He's our manager but this is poor form. He needs to quit this conspiracy theories too, it's boring now.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
He is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sometimes he speaks really well, sometimes it is utter nonsense. Like yesterday.

Champagne Football

Oh so our preperation for matches was spot on before that?
If not, why wait a few months before the start of a fecking world cup to make a point?
We haven't even qualified for a world cup since, so thanks again Roy.
At least we have the acceptable amount of bibs and balls on hand. Well worth it.
Well without Keane's world class performance when we beat the dutch then we'd never have been there in the first place. Possibly the greatest ever Irish performance in a green jersey. Keane is a very complicated character and those complexities is what made him such a serial winning world class player. You either love him or hate him. He doesn't care either way. He just does his own thing. Yes he is bitter but that's just part of who he is and where he comes from. But I think anyone from Ireland calling him a traitor is just wrong. He's the best player we have ever had who sweated blood for his country in every single one of the 67 times he pulled on the green jersey. He's doing great work as a No.2 now to O'Neill also.

The Irish set up is far more professional these days because of Keane and his outbursts compared to the days of when it was a drinking club for the boys and the FAI top brass who swindled every penny they could from the coffers. Keane does have a chip on his shoulder but it would not have been easy for him going one week playing for the best manager of all time to turning up for International duty where the players and manager were not even willing to make half the sacrifices he was willing to make to achieve their potential.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Keane's a mug.

Running joke from day one of his retirement.

SteveTheRed

The idea that the banana incident was staged is baffling. Can someone on here explain that? Why would that be staged?