Roy Keane the pundit

Rockets Redglare

Like him but not when he talks about us.. He is so bitter it burns him..
He's bitter about United because of how it ended and bitter about managers like Mourinho because he couldn't cut it in management and will never win a tenth of what Jose has won.

Rane

I wouldn't say I've ever adored Roy but I certainly respected him immensely as a player. I loved his aggression. It transmitted to the rest of the players. Very underrated footballer aswell.

As a pundit I don't mind him really. He speaks his mind rather than always pandering to a pre-conceived narrative. He lacks real thoughtful insight at times and some of what he says isn't really backed up with solid facts. I actually think he is disappointed with United's decline. I don't think he particularly relishes it. His beef has always been with Ferguson. I feel he still holds a certain affection for the club (Keane affection probably differs from the normal perception of affection). He was a part of the fabric.

He really dislikes Jose which probably goes some way to explaining his comments. I think since that time Jose tried to shake hands with him and Lambert before the game was over. That pissed him off and once you do that to Keane your done....on the hit list.

dichinero

Jose clearly wanted it to be noticed, he knew he'd get more attention rather than leave it to the medical staff.
My thoughts exactly. That should be the job of the medical staff. The way he ran to get the banana was so obvious too. We know José he likes this sort of stuff, for unnecessary attention. Is It is any coincidence that this also comes after a news that he had a bust up with the fitness coach?

Ban

My thoughts exactly. That should be the job of the medical staff. The way he ran to get the banana was so obvious too. We know José he likes this sort of stuff, for unnecessary attention. Is It is any coincidence that this also comes after a news that he had a bust up with the fitness coach?
Oh come on now, you really believe that?

Zoo

If it was a stunt then Rojo would have swapped with Jones and moved to left wingback but he was clearly feeling it. Jones was so uncomfortable there and Rostov only needed one goal, I really don't think that Jose would take that risk just for some attention seeking stunt.

dichinero

Oh come on now, you really believe that?
I'm not saying it was staged but it just looked so out of place and unnecessary. It's not hard to see why Roy thinks so either. It could be nothing at all but as they say, there is no smoke without fire.

Either it's United, expect it to be talked about

Ban

I'm not saying it was staged but it just looked so out of place and unnecessary. It's not hard to see why Roy thinks so either. It could be nothing at all but as they say, there is no smoke without fire.

Either it's United, expect it to be talked about
Jose gave Rojo a banana. That's it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
eugh. Not again. I wish he'd just shut up.

He hasn't taken another management job in over 6 years. If you're so bloody good Roy, crack on with it and show us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mou had sticking it hard to the pundits and it was only fair for them to hit him back. I think that both are wrong

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The problems with Keane is that he lets his hatred get in the way of unbiased opinion. He hates Mourinho and he hates Ferguson. So of course he will come out and say something against Mourinho.

Runner

I wonder if 15 years ago he ever thought that he'd be sitting in a nice, comfy studio trying to be controversial.
and probably making more than he did as a player? The dream.

poleglass red

He's bitter about United because of how it ended and bitter about managers like Mourinho because he couldn't cut it in management and will never win a tenth of what Jose has won.
He said we are still drawing too many games we should be winning, and haven't really beaten any top teams. Is he really that wrong at this stage.

cyberman

He was sent home. By an English man. Get your facts straight.
He wasn't sent home, he was put into a position where he choose to be sent home. That's where all the shit about Keane feeling he fell into a trap comes from.
Its ok though, Roy himself says he was in the wrong and would do things differently but hey ho. Those divets on a pitch huh?
If we don't qualify this year then we'll have a generation of 20 year olds who hope to see us in a World Cup for the first time in Russia
KEANO! KEANO!

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I'd take a Roy Keane as a pundit any day than an ex-footballer still mates with the guys he's commenting on or supposed to be objective about.....Step forward Neville, Carragher, Henry, Shearer, etc

A lot of snowflakes on here who seem to fall apart because they don't like to hear the truth.

Keane was always as he is.
He had exceptionally high standards as a player and, to be honest, if he's bitter about Fergie then he has every right to be.

Keane brought Ferguson unbelievable success. In his prime he was worth two players in midfield. There's also no way Man Utd would have made the 1999 CL final without Keane (never mind win it)

And what did Fergie do?
Throw him out of the club for telling the truth about the deadwood that lost 4-1 to Middlesbrough

Fergie was a great manager but he was also a cnut

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
There is a barrister who is also a Gaelic Football pundit who wrote a piece on Keane in the Irish Independent once. He said Keane reminds he of these scumbags who do be up in court all their lives for various misdemeanors. They have a complete contempt for authority and never even think about what they do or say.
Most of the crooks in Ireland are barristers/judges, bailed out bankers, horse racing millionaires who pay no tax or corrupt politicians.

cyberman

The problems with Keane is that he lets his hatred get in the way of unbiased opinion. He hates Mourinho and he hates Ferguson. So of course he will come out and say something against Mourinho.
Its the double standards that gets me.
He writes a book detailing his intent on injuring a player and gets an unnecessary ban. Why? All of that for a money grab, a fecking tell all book from a man accusing Jose of attention seeking.
Then there's the whole World Cup debacle which is 100x worse than what he's calling Jose out for.
The double standard is breath taking.

poleglass red

eugh. Not again. I wish he'd just shut up.

He hasn't taken another management job in over 6 years. If you're so bloody good Roy, crack on with it and show us.
maybe he's speaking as an ex player, pretty good one at that. Why do people have to keep bringing up his past. He didn't do a good job at Ipswich, so what, can he not give his views then, because he failed there. Can he not speak as someone doing a pretty good job as assistant for Ireland. Sorry mate, I hear this all the time about Gary Nev as well and it bugs me no end. What he actually said here was pretty much spot on.

golden_blunder

Staff
maybe he's speaking as an ex player, pretty good one at that. Why do people have to keep bringing up his past. He didn't do a good job at Ipswich, so what, can he not give his views then, because he failed there. Can he not speak as someone doing a pretty good job as assistant for Ireland. Sorry mate, I hear this all the time about Gary Nev as well and it bugs me no end. What he actually said here was pretty much spot on.
he's had a go at Mourinho for moaning about things like fatigue and the pitch, yet Keane spends his entire career moaning about various things. Pot, Kettle, black.
Its completely outlandish to say that the United job is bigger than Mourinho, one of the most successful coaches in Europe and the PL

TonyMarshall

There is a barrister who is also a Gaelic Football pundit who wrote a piece on Keane in the Irish Independent once. He said Keane reminds he of these scumbags who do be up in court all their lives for various misdemeanors. They have a complete contempt for authority and never even think about what they do or say.

Edit: Found it here:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...that-have-never-been-dealt-with-30748572.html
Joe Brolly is an utter muppet. A bigger attention seeker than Keane.

golden_blunder

Staff

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Keane could have obviously phrased things a bit better (I know, never gonna happen:D), but I get what he's trying to say and Jose really needs to watch what he says. Technically, Jose is right about the scheduling, however nothing he says will change any bias from the FA or whomever, so he'd be better off having a gripe, if he must, in private but just keep it out of the public arena. It didn't come across well, almost like he was making excuses, even though his frustration is perfectly understandable. It's best for him to say it's not easy, but we have to get on with it or words to that effect..

Godfather

he's had a go at Mourinho for moaning about things like fatigue and the pitch, yet Keane spends his entire career moaning about various things. Pot, Kettle, black.
Its completely outlandish to say that the United job is bigger than Mourinho, one of the most successful coaches in Europe and the PL
Also funny how he is telling everyone how done he is with Mou. Well Roy everybody else on this planet earth is done with you spouting bollox in the media.

golden_blunder

Staff
I'd take a Roy Keane as a pundit any day than an ex-footballer still mates with the guys he's commenting on or supposed to be objective about.....Step forward Neville, Carragher, Henry, Shearer, etc

A lot of snowflakes on here who seem to fall apart because they don't like to hear the truth.

He had exceptionally high standards as a player and, to be honest, if he's bitter about Fergie then he has every right to be.

Keane brought Ferguson unbelievable success. In his prime he was worth two players in midfield. There's also no way Man Utd would have made the 1999 CL final without Keane (never mind win it)

And what did Fergie do?
Throw him out of the club for telling the truth about the deadwood that lost 4-1 to Middlesbrough

it wasn't Keane's place to have a go at the young players like he did. He should have trusted in Fergie and known that the great man, despite being a cnut himself, would have a plan to progress.

The truth is, Keane was on his last legs as a player anyway, he didn't get booted out just for that

cyberman

On a seperate note, why the feck are our managerial team doing punditry on tv a week before our massive game v Wales?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I enjoy his punditry. He doesn't stick to the narratives most of the ex-pros lazily follow. Inevitably he's often contrarian for the sake of it, but I can relate to a lot of the values he has on the game.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's the epitome of the 'I say what I like and I like what I say' hypocrite. If he had such incredibly high standards, he wouldn't be taking gob-for-hire money from The Keith Lemon Network.

clarkydaz

And what did Fergie do?

it wasnt just the video comments, he insulted fergie infront of the squad over it, so no choice to send him on his way

Boycott

Both Mourinho and Keane are attention seekers in two different ways.

Mourinho wants to be the star of the show and seeks adulation and the spotlight.

Keane is purposefully provacative as he's spent his whole adult life looking for faults in others.

Rockets Redglare

He said we are still drawing too many games we should be winning, and haven't really beaten any top teams. Is he really that wrong at this stage.
That isn't wrong no, but claiming Mourinho isn't big enough for the club screams bitterness.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

And what did Fergie do?

But they did?