Roy Keane

Irwin99

I don't remember Keane telling it like he had had the upper hand. But didn't they stop when Sir Bobby came out into the corridor?
Yeah but I think it went on a few minutes before it was broken up, but I could be remembering it wrong from Keane's book. Peter had a huge black eye the next day and Keane said his finger was dislocated and that Nicky Butt was the referee during the fight. Be interesting to hear Butt's perspective on it. At 6'4 you'd fancy Schmeichel to have the edge.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah but I think it went on a few minutes before it was broken up, but I could be remembering it wrong from Keane's book. Peter had a huge black eye the next day and Keane said his finger was dislocated and that Nicky Butt was the referee during the fight. Be interesting to hear Butt's perspective on it. At 6'4 you'd fancy Schmeichel to have the edge.
Yeah, I'd bet on him too. But I'd still rather have beef with Schmeichel than Keane, funnily enough.

Champagne Football

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../van-nistelrooy-roy-keane-manchester-20212662

Ruud talking to Rio about Keane

"For me, he led the team in an unbelievable way," Van Nistelrooy told Vibe with Five with Rio Ferdinand.

Van Nistelrooy has explained how would be left speechless by the Irishman's pre-match preparations.

He kept you on your toes, I remember the way he prepared for a game, I was so shocked with that. He would be reading the programme, he's sat there in the dressing room so calm, easy-going, a relaxed read. He would put on his Diadora boots, which were like Rugby boots with big round studs.

"The shin pads were so small, no ankle protection, nothing. He'd jog a few times in the warm-up, the referees blows the whistle and there's an animal on the pitch. I don't know how, how does that happen?

He set the standard for himself and everyone, which I appreciated. I had to get used to it though because, man, it was intense."

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Wondered if it deserved its own thread, then bottled it and put it here.
A thoroughly enjoyable watch.

Few things...keane leaving out Scholes. And the pair choosing Ljungberg over Beckham on the right. Enjoy

And Keane finally accepting he won the CL made me very happy. Give a watch when you've got time.

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Actually just watched it again and no giggs, beckham or scholes in the combined team! Beyond crazy.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Would love to hear Nicky Butt's account of the fight between big Pete and Keane. Sounds as if Peter came off worse- I would have bet the other way round to be honest.
Pretty sure Andy Cole was quoted saying that it was clear from the look of both of them the next day who had won the fight (Keane).

Edit: it was in his book IIRC

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Going to miss Keane on Sky if he ends up at Celtic which is looking likely

Irwin99

Pretty sure Andy Cole was quoted saying that it was clear from the look of both of them the next day who had won the fight (Keane).

Edit: it was in his book IIRC
I would not have expected that given Peter's size, although in fairness he always did seem a bit of a poseur too

Irwin99

Going to miss Keane on Sky if he ends up at Celtic which is looking likely

I expect Gerrard would love that: he always seemed to idolise Keane as a player.

Wonder which barely playing/squad players Ole will lend him if he gets the Celtic job....Williams maybe?

Champagne Football

Would have to be Damien Duff as his no. 2 if he gets the Celtic gig. Duff got a bit of experience working under Rodgers and I think Keane would need big help from Duff in terms of implimenting a modern approach and tactics, as the things Keane learned under O'Neill with Ireland won't do him much good at Celtic.

Champagne Football

Ole asked by Sky Sports which player from the 99 team he'd choose to have in his team today......

When asked by Sky Sports who he could bring in one member of the 1999 treble-winning team to his current team, who that man would be and why, Solskjaer was pretty confident in his response.

“They were all unbelievable individuals in a fantastic team,” Solskjaer answered.

You want every one of them, to be fair, but I’ve always said it and I have to say it again, if I choose one player: Roy Keane.”

"Everything he did. He was a leader, the way he played, the way he pushed everyone, I’d say Roy Keane."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-solskjaer-roy-keane-23818482

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hope it happens. He doesn't want to spend his time in a studio. He's got unfinished business. Rooting for him all the way.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I bet Micah Richards fearing for his job now.

I also bet the first thing Roy does at Celtic is to erect a statue of Dennis Irwin :lol:

NICanRed

I have been wondering which of the know-it-all TV pundits the Caf would feel would make the best manager. Maybe this is the answer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Some bullying charges levied at top players are weird in top level sport. Keane going in hard on players in training and showing aggression isn't bullying. Joey Barton putting a cigar out on a junior pros face, that's bullying. Ashley Cole shooting someone with an air rifle, that's bullying.

I'm sure other teams are just turning up at your ground to have a kick about. Or they're coming to bully you. To pressure you. To unsettle you. You need players to get used to a high pressure, nasty environment, battle hardened.

It's well documented that players at United trained so hard that they felt the games on the weekend would be easy. Scholes was renowned for crunching tackles in training. Is he a bully?

This isn't an office environment with a HR team and fruit baskets, it's elite sport. People try to translate their lives, 99.9% none elite sports people, to these guys lives, it doesn't translate.

GBBQ

Some bullying charges levied at top players are weird in top level sport. Keane going in hard on players in training and showing aggression isn't bullying. Joey Barton putting a cigar out on a junior pros face, that's bullying. Ashley Cole shooting someone with an air rifle, that's bullying.

I'm sure other teams are just turning up at your ground to have a kick about. Or they're coming to bully you. To pressure you. To unsettle you. You need players to get used to a high pressure, nasty environment, battle hardened.

It's well documented that players at United trained so hard that they felt the games on the weekend would be easy. Scholes was renowned for crunching tackles in training. Is he a bully?

This isn't an office environment with a HR team and fruit baskets, it's elite sport. People try to translate their lives, 99.9% none elite sports people, to these guys lives, it doesn't translate.
I'm reading Carrick's autobiography at the moment and he says he got the same treatment at West ham, hard tackles, being forced to fight to prove yourself. One of his first games for West ham he had to play against Vierra who is definitely not gonna give him an inch so that kind of training ground initiation is needed to let them know what elite professional football is like.

SirAF

Ageist

100% this.

POF

Scholes was the worst tackler ever but a bully he was not. He may have made some crunching tackles but he didn't intend any of them. He was just so bad at it.

Often he'd get away with some terrible tackles because the ref would feel sorry for him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Scholes was the worst tackler ever but a bully he was not. He may have made some crunching tackles but he didn't intend any of them. He was just so bad at it.

Often he'd get away with some terrible tackles because the ref would feel sorry for him.
I always reckoned that was just to buy himself extra space and time on the ball. A lot of the time it didn’t even look like he was playing the ball and he’d steam in studs up first tackle of the game laying down a marker. I’m small but I’ll kick the shit out of you if you want to get into it. It would have been quite easy to tell him not to bother but I think Fergie could see he had it pretty well figured out and he always bossed his area.

Oldyella

Tbh I think he intended most of them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That's a very naive view of Scholes' M.O. He was more than happy to "accidentally" leave some on some of his opponents when it suited him to do so.

POF

That's a very naive view of Scholes' M.O. He was more than happy to "accidentally" leave some on some of his opponents when it suited him to do so.
I think he's tried to push that narrative in his media work post retirement but it's rubbish.

Just look at some of the tackles. They weren't clever "stamping your authority" tackles. He generally came steaming in and completely misjudged and mistimed the challenge.

If it was an attempt to stamp his authority on games it wasn't a very clever option. He was beaten by his opponent when doing it as often as he committed the foul.

When he got more experienced and moved to a deeper role in midfield he just stopped doing it. The game changed and the midfield screening role became more blocking the angles than steaming in. Just as well.

youngrell

I think he's tried to push that narrative in his media work post retirement but it's rubbish.

Just look at some of the tackles. They weren't clever "stamping your authority" tackles. He generally came steaming in and completely misjudged and mistimed the challenge.

If it was an attempt to stamp his authority on games it wasn't a very clever option. He was beaten by his opponent when doing it as often as he committed the foul.

When he got more experienced and moved to a deeper role in midfield he just stopped doing it. The game changed and the midfield screening role became more blocking the angles than steaming in. Just as well.
I think it was somewhere in the middle.

Often he would just horribly mistime his tackles, but a lot of the time they were certainly tactical fouls either stopping a counter or dangerous situation. The fact even the tactical ones were clumsy was him taking the opportunity to also leave one on an opponent while he was likely to already be getting booked. A free hit of sorts.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Hope it happens. He doesn't want to spend his time in a studio. He's got unfinished business. Rooting for him all the way.
I really don’t think he’s a good manager, he’s just too much stick and not enough carrot. He really has trouble keeping his rage in check and managers have to be savvy in dealing with players, staff and boards

However, I do believe he will have a good chance to be successful at Celtic if he goes there because the level of Scottish football is currently low (not to be disrespectful, I’m speaking in relative terms) and I think he is enamoured of that club. They will give him a decent shot if they take him on.

He really only has to beat Gerrard’s Rangers, which is doable. Maybe Gerrard could even move on shortly......

RUCK4444

Ole asked by Sky Sports which player from the 99 team he'd choose to have in his team today......

When asked by Sky Sports who he could bring in one member of the 1999 treble-winning team to his current team, who that man would be and why, Solskjaer was pretty confident in his response.

“They were all unbelievable individuals in a fantastic team,” Solskjaer answered.

You want every one of them, to be fair, but I’ve always said it and I have to say it again, if I choose one player: Roy Keane.”

"Everything he did. He was a leader, the way he played, the way he pushed everyone, I’d say Roy Keane."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-solskjaer-roy-keane-23818482
I’m glad Ole chose Roy for this current team because that tells me he knows there is a real lack of leadership in the team, it’s severely lacking.

Oh and Roy was a complete baller as well of course. :D

Green_Red

Was Keane done at this stage? I was still fairly young and distracted by youth stuff as suposed to being all about united ins and outs

He went to Celtic and then retired?

If we disregard how the moving on of Keane happened was it the right move, never thought about it before so just wondering from people who were more invested at the time
Compared to the Keane of 1996 to 2002, he wasn't as dynamic. He had slowed down a bit but was still very good at reading the game. Probably a bit like Robbo in 92/93, just losing his edge a bit.