Roy Keane

littleman

I'm still a big fan of Roy Keane, although there was a stretch in the last couple years where looking back and seeing the Haaland tackle (if you can even call it that, it's straight up near a kung fu kick) amongst others.. thought it was beyond a red line for me.

He's mellowed out significantly and he looks nice to talk to now.

I wonder if I'll ever see him in SF, and if I should say hi.

The only footballer whose book I bought and read

Teddy11811

I'm still a big fan of Roy Keane, although there was a stretch in the last couple years where looking back and seeing the Haaland tackle (if you can even call it that, it's straight up near a kung fu kick) amongst others.. thought it was beyond a red line for me.

Stop being silly with these stupid comments about Keanos tackle on Haaland it’s only bad cause he admitted he went out to do him… I’ve seen way worse tackles in the game of football than that one!! Stop acting like a baby and grow up

Last edited:

littleman

Stop being silly with these stupid comments about Keanos tackle on Haaland it’s only bad cause he admitted he went out to do him… I’ve seen way worse tackles in the game of football than that one!! Stop acting like a baby and grow up
I don't think it's the worst tackle in football. There are worse, in the PL, that I would expect police to get involved with.

Teddy11811

I don't think it's the worst tackle in football. There are worse, in the PL, that I would expect police to get involved with.
Don’t be exaggerating it then with the Kung Fu stuff leave that kinda thing to King Eric!!!

Bertie 2 Hats

The myth persists that Roy Keane not only injured Haaland but also ended his career . As I recall, the challenge in question on Haaland took place on April 21st 2001 when United played City at Old Trafford. However, the truth is that Haaland finished that game and then went on to play in a friendly for Norway four days later . He did undergo surgery that summer but it was on his left knee, not his right knee which Roy Keane had kicked . Haaland retired due to injury in 2003.

FattyFooty

All im hearing is Keane crying.

Seems pathetic. Maybe if you followed SAF a bit more your manager carrer might gone a little better.

littleman

I’m the most left of most liberals I know. You have me beat. Police for a tackle. Wow.
I mean, being left doesn't at all mean being reasonable or in this case, intelligent.

Yeah if someone can get into trouble punching another at a bar, depending on the motivation behind the tackle, as well as its execution and damage, I absolutely think it could warrant police involvement. I absolutely believe in this.

jesperjaap

Love Keane but dont agree with all he says but respect he says what he feels 100%. Schmeichel WAS one of the best for me. I do remember his Madrid performance being poor though, wasnt that the game e scored an own goal?

Josh 76

His first book was Oscar worthy. His second was a big let down.

Iron Tulip

His first book was Oscar worthy. His second was a big let down.
Agreed!

Still an all time great for me. Not only on the pitch, but behind a camera he knows how to entertain and make you laugh. Punditry over the last 5 years or so has improved dramatically than the bore of Souness and the old boys. Fair play to all of them for carving out a 2nd career.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm still holding out the hope that he'll get back into management and make a great go of it.

Loved that video.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/LINE-UP-Roy-Keane-Team-mates.jpg

One thing about Keane is, he does like to play up to the camera and tries too hard to be controversial.

He just said Scholes was the best he’s played with, yet didn’t pick him in his best Utd 11.
As @Kazi said he selected players that weren't close to SAF. Also, he picked that team in the Viera doc which came out around the same time as the CO92 film. Parker over Neville, Ince over Scholes, no Giggs. He knew what he was doing.

Polar

The myth persists that Roy Keane not only injured Haaland but also ended his career . As I recall, the challenge in question on Haaland took place on April 21st 2001 when United played City at Old Trafford. However, the truth is that Haaland finished that game and then went on to play in a friendly for Norway four days later . He did undergo surgery that summer but it was on his left knee, not his right knee which Roy Keane had kicked . Haaland retired due to injury in 2003.
The alternative version is most likely the myth :D

Haaland did never recover from the Keane tackle and himself say that the particular tackle ended his career. That’s facts.

Why should we doubt Haaland? At least not because a smartass (not you) “analysed” the situation and created a new story: He was hit in his right knee and operated in his left knee = off course Haaland didn’t have to retire because of Keane. It’s impossible to be injured in the left knee when you are hit in the right knee. Myths are often based on assumptions and simple conclusions.

No doubt Keane is a crazy person in specific situations, but today he’s mostly a reasonable man, at least on TV, even thought he is edgy sometimes. I mostly enjoy listen to his comments and reflections nowadays.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It was a dreadful tackle exacerbated by Keane's admission it was deliberate.

Leanshig

Jesus christ, does the Haaland thing have to be brought up every time? It was a shit tackle, but it never ended Haaland's career, and Keane was a monumental player for us.

meamth

Schmeichel would receive constant shit from the fans in this modern/internet era. I think a lot of people have forgotten how many mistakes he actually made, which didn’t matter so much in the 90’s when fans didn’t microanalyse every moment of every players performance.
I didn't know this.

Mostly because what we've seen from Schemeichel is his best performances highlights, notable ones.

That made himself a favour to be known as the invincible legendary goalkeeper that he was, today.

Didn't know he had errors in him like you said. :nervous:

How constant was the errors?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Haaland did never recover from the Keane tackle and himself say that the particular tackle ended his career. That’s facts.

Why should we doubt Haaland? At least not because a smartass (not you) “analysed” the situation and created a new story: He was hit in his right knee and operated in his left knee = off course Haaland didn’t have to retire because of Keane. It’s impossible to be injured in the left knee when you are hit in the right knee. Myths are often based on assumptions and simple conclusions.

No doubt Keane is a crazy person in specific situations, but today he’s mostly a reasonable man, at least on TV, even thought he is edgy sometimes. I mostly enjoy listen to his comments and reflections nowadays.
Can you explain how a challenge on one knee lead to surgery in the other knee?

El Zoido

I didn't know this.

Mostly because what we've seen from Schemeichel is his best performances highlights, notable ones.

That made himself a favour to be known as the invincible legendary goalkeeper that he was, today.

I don’t have the stats, and don’t get me wrong, he was a truly brilliant gk. But he did have a mistake in him. Here are a couple from youtube.

Could you imagine a United goalkeeper making some of these mistakes these days? It’s not about Schmeichel, who is one of the greatest goalkeepers ever, it’s about how even a single error turns in to an explosive event these days. The DDG and Henderson post-match performance threads here go nuclear every time they do something wrong. Not that fans didn’t complain about this kind of thing in the 90’s, but it was more a “bloke down the pub” kind of thing, rather than hundreds of people online laying in.

GueRed

Peter Schmeichel was the best Keeper in 90's and there were some awesome keepers.

One of the greatest Of All Time. No question.

He was just burnt out towards the end of his time a United.

I didn't know this.

He wasn't that bad. He was a very confident, imposing keeper and occasionally he would get overconfident. The mistakes i remember were from him charging out or trying to do something stupid and misjudging it.

A bit like Neuer, what made him great would occasionally be his downfall. It wasn't that common though and the benefits of his playing style far outweighed the odd mistake.

Marwood

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/LINE-UP-Roy-Keane-Team-mates.jpg

One thing about Keane is, he does like to play up to the camera and tries too hard to be controversial.

He just said Scholes was the best he’s played with, yet didn’t pick him in his best Utd 11.
Yeah good point.

You can't take anything Keano says too seriously, his mood or opinion of somebody as a person clouds his judgement. What's great is that he doesn't pretend otherwise.

Grande

Only a baby would think that intentionally trying to do someone by kicking their knee in is ugly behavior? Or only a toddler would think it’s no big deal because he’s seen worse?

Grande

He wasn't that bad. He was a very confident, imposing keeper and occasionally he would get overconfident. The mistakes i remember were from him charging out or trying to do something stupid and misjudging it.

A bit like Neuer, what made him great would occasionally be his downfall. It wasn't that common though and the benefits of his playing style far outweighed the odd mistake.
Good summary. For me, he was the best in the world for a few years. He disturbed attackers no end.

Teddy11811

Teddy11811

Only a baby would think that intentionally trying to do someone by kicking their knee in is ugly behavior? Or only a toddler would think it’s no big deal because he’s seen worse?
It’s a contact sport get over it!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s a contact sport get over it!
Contact sport doesn't mean you can deliberately smash someone in the knee. I'm sorry things aren't like the war anymore. Feel free to ration your food if you want to reminisce though.

acnumber9

We should probably doubt it because of the bandage that Haaland had on his left knee during the tackle. Suggesting a pre existing injury.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Contact sport doesn't mean you can deliberately smash someone in the knee. I'm sorry things aren't like the war anymore. Feel free to ration your food if you want to reminisce though.
Teddy can't reply because he's only got 3 daily posts, so for the sake of a fair argument I'll put his posts from my profile on here.

You’re referring to football to war good god that’s pathetic I can’t reply cause I’ve only got 3 daily posts

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Teddy can't reply because he's only got 3 daily posts, so for the sake of a fair argument I'll put his posts from my profile on here.
Well Teddy maybe you shouldn't have wasted them defending an assault from 2001.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I love how people always forget the first part of the Keane - Haaland story.

Yes the 'revenge tackle' was a shocker but people always seem to forget why keane did it. When Keane did his ACL at Elland road and was down on the floor in agony Haaland apparently stood over and hurled all kinds of abuse at him. Keane wasn't the type of guy to forget that. You reap what you sew as they say. I'd have done the exact same thing as Keano.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I love how people always forget the first part of the Keane - Haaland story.

Yes the 'revenge tackle' was a shocker but people always seem to forget why keane did it. When Keane did his ACL at Elland road and was down on the floor in agony Haaland apparently stood over and hurled all kinds of abuse at him. Keane wasn't the type of guy to forget that. You reap what you sew as they say. I'd have done the exact same thing as Keano.
Yeah if he was happy to accept the consequences, which he was. I'd have been angry too. It didn't actually injure him that badly and he retired because of an injury in the other leg.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah if he was happy to accept the consequences, which he was. I'd have been angry too. It didn't actually injure him that badly and he retired because of an injury in the other leg.
Yea I know. It's a myth that it finished his career. In truth he didnt really have much of a career did he? He was a tinpot player who used to kick people.