Roy Keane

Will Singh

I love how people always forget the first part of the Keane - Haaland story.

Yes the 'revenge tackle' was a shocker but people always seem to forget why keane did it. When Keane did his ACL at Elland road and was down on the floor in agony Haaland apparently stood over and hurled all kinds of abuse at him. Keane wasn't the type of guy to forget that. You reap what you sew as they say. I'd have done the exact same thing as Keano.
I can see why he did it, question is was he planning to get revenge or was it a build up of things during the game…?

P.S I can’t see how you can defend what he did it’s absolutely terrible for the sport but having said that of cause things get heated during a game and Keane doesn’t need much to switch him into beast mode!

GJNJ

Even Bryan Robson has said he would swap positions with another player to seek retribution for tackles against him or others in the team. It’s always been in the game, even now but to a lesser degree.

Grande

Yea I know. It's a myth that it finished his career. In truth he didnt really have much of a career did he? He was a tinpot player who used to kick people.
Alfie was a good grafter at full back and midfield, quick and strong, and made himself a very decent carreer at Forest, Leeds when they were a top team, and Man City, and got 34 caps for Norway in their best era since the 1930’s.

He was far Roy Keane’s level, and far from him in violent behaviour as well. Keano was a bit of a madman and his ‘grounds’ for revenge was that he had injured himself badly making an orange card tackle from behind on Haaland, who in the heat of the moment had the nerve to accuse him of feigning injury to avoid a red card before it was clear it was serious. More than a year later, Keane went full force towards his right knee. AsJoe Royle stated afterwards: ‘if Haaland had his right foot planted, we’d still be looking for his leg’. Fortunately for Haaland, he had the weight on his left leg, which suffered a twist. He played on with it,, and another game, before it turned out to be a mistake - there was actually a complicated injury in the knee, and he had to operate. He never played professional football after that.

I guess me and many others here would have loved to get Alfie’s carreer, and it does say a lot about Roy Keane that he, even ten years after his two attacks on Haaland, said he didn’t regret trying to hurt him physically. The man doesn’t bear a grudge, he is the walking embodiment of the horror flick of that name.

Oldyella

Alfie was a good grafter at full back and midfield, quick and strong, and made himself a very decent carreer at Forest, Leeds when they were a top team, and Man City, and got 34 caps for Norway in their best era since the 1930’s.

He was far Roy Keane’s level, and far from him in violent behaviour as well. Keano was a bit of a madman and his ‘grounds’ for revenge was that he had injured himself badly making an orange card tackle from behind on Haaland, who in the heat of the moment had the nerve to accuse him of feigning injury to avoid a red card before it was clear it was serious. More than a year later, Keane went full force towards his right knee. AsJoe Royle stated afterwards: ‘if Haaland had his right foot planted, we’d still be looking for his leg’. Fortunately for Haaland, he had the weight on his left leg, which suffered a twist. He played on with it,, and another game, before it turned out to be a mistake - there was actually a complicated injury in the knee, and he had to operate. He never played professional football after that.

I guess me and many others here would have loved to get Alfie’s carreer, and it does say a lot about Roy Keane that he, even ten years after his two attacks on Haaland, said he didn’t regret trying to hurt him physically. The man doesn’t bear a grudge, he is the walking embodiment of the horror flick of that name.
Well if Joe Royles says so..

Irwin99

I hate this narrative that Haaland was a nice, innocent victim. According to quite a few ex-players and his own teammates he was also an absolute tw@t who hated United and was always kicking our players off the ball and trying to start fights. In the 98-99 season he had run ins with Keane all through the match and scissor tackled from behind. I'm not saying he deserved what Keane did to him but the situation did go a bit deeper than that once incident where Keane did his injury .

You can tell they absolutely despised each other:

SirAF

Ageist

Yes the 'revenge tackle' was a shocker but people always seem to forget why keane did it. When Keane did his ACL at Elland road and was down on the floor in agony Haaland apparently stood over and hurled all kinds of abuse at him. Keane wasn't the type of guy to forget that. You reap what you sew as they say. I'd have done the exact same thing as Keano.
Yeah, this again. feck «Alfie».

Oranges038

I hate this narrative that Haaland was a nice, innocent victim. According to quite a few ex-players and his own teammates he was also an absolute tw@t who hated United and was always kicking our players off the ball and trying to start fights. In the 98-99 season he had run ins with Keane all through the match and scissor tackled from behind. I'm not saying he deserved what Keane did to him but the situation did go a bit deeper than that once incident where Keane did his injury .

Aye, Haaland was an utter prick on the pitch and not just against Utd either. You can even see similar traits in Erling on the pitch and when he gives his interviews, he can probably get away with it because he's actually good.

Irwin99

Aye, Haaland was an utter prick on the pitch and not just against Utd either. You can even see similar traits in Erling on the pitch and when he gives his interviews, he can probably get away with it because he's actually good.
You can even see it in the video I posted that his teammates were telling him to shut up and leave off at one point when he was arguing with Keane. Also, as Keane later said, barely any of his teammates even reacted to Keane's revenge tackle :lol:

Oranges038

You can even see it in the video I posted that his teammates were telling him to shut up and leave off at one point when he was arguing with Keane. Also, as Keane later said, barely any of his teammates even reacted to Keane's revenge tackle :lol:
He was horrible cnut in a similar way to how Joey Barton was on the pitch.

Keane had running battles with nearly every midfielder he played against, he was just that type of player. In that game against Leeds, Haaland just got on his nerves too much and he took a swipe at him. Maybe Keane wasn't at his best and just wasn't able to get the better of him on the day. Even by his own admission, he liked to drink and around this time he was doing quite a bit of it and apparently even went drinking after his knee operation and was told how long his recovery process would be. He even got up and tried to play on after he done his cruciate because all 3 subs had been used, that's how much he wanted to beat him and them.

Even in this day an age, I still think it's funny that people can't look it up and read about it, or go back and watch some highlights or interviews. Keane did not end his career, it was his other knee and it was fcuked anyway and he played a few more games after.

I mean, it's not like he waited all those years for the right moment just exact revenge, or he had a mental hit list or anything.

Was I going around for years thinking: ’I’m going to get him, I’m going to get him.’? No. Was he at the back of my mind? Of course he was. Like Rob Lee was, like David Batty was, like Alan Shearer was, like Patrick Vieira was. All these players were in the back of my mind: ‘If I get a chance I’m going to fecking hit you, of course I am.
That video also reminded me of a player I'd forgotten existed, he was another cnut.

Grande

I was replying to someone who said Haaland had a nothing carreer and it was a myth that the attack had anything to do with ending it.

I don’t think I said anything about ‘nice’, or ‘innocent’ (of what?), so that narrative is not mine. A victim he certainly was - of a kick in the knees. I’m a big fan of Keane the player, although he was more than a bit of a twat at times, and I’ve nothing much for or against Haaland, though as a compatriot I guess I have background knowledge on him that some don’t. Narratives bore me, I’m interested in what actually happens. I am also interested in which teammates called Haaland a twat, not because I doubt it.

This is the Keane thread, and on that mark, I think the episodes says more about him than about Haaland. Sometimes I loved him for his demeanor, but the way he blamed Haaland for his own doings, premeditated to injure him as a revenge, and didn’t regret it even ten years after having intentionally hurt him which likely contributed to end his carreer.

lsd

The Oracle
I can see why he did it, question is was he planning to get revenge or was it a build up of things during the game…?

P.S I can’t see how you can defend what he did it’s absolutely terrible for the sport but having said that of cause things get heated during a game and Keane doesn’t need much to switch him into beast mode!

I wouldn't say it was a long term plan but a case of during the game he just saw an opportunity for what he saw as revenge and went for it.

I can't prove this but I'm 100% positive that before all this and it's nothing to do with why Keane did it but when Haaland was at Leeds he once posed for a picture laughing in front of a wall saying Munich and taking about he hated United

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You can't condone purposely going in to smash someone.

But if you're idiotic enough to try and wind Roy Keane up with constant late and snide little challenges, and then stand over him abusing him when he's crippled, then I'd say you're an absolute fool who has a death wish.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm sure they must have faced each other in between the Keane injury then that tackle. It was a few years later

SirAF

Ageist
I was replying to someone who said Haaland had a nothing carreer and it was a myth that the attack had anything to do with ending it.

I don’t think I said anything about ‘nice’, or ‘innocent’ (of what?), so that narrative is not mine. A victim he certainly was - of a kick in the knees. I’m a big fan of Keane the player, although he was more than a bit of a twat at times, and I’ve nothing much for or against Haaland, though as a compatriot I guess I have background knowledge on him that some don’t. Narratives bore me, I’m interested in what actually happens. I am also interested in which teammates called Haaland a twat, not because I doubt it.

This is the Keane thread, and on that mark, I think the episodes says more about him than about Haaland. Sometimes I loved him for his demeanor, but the way he blamed Haaland for his own doings, premeditated to injure him as a revenge, and didn’t regret it even ten years after having intentionally hurt him which likely contributed to end his carreer.
Which is correct. You need to get your facts straight - Haaland even admitted it himself in a blog post which, ironically, made sure that Haaland couldn’t sue Keane when the book came out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/haaland-admission-could-wreck-case-6316729.html

Grande

Which is correct. You need to get your facts straight - Haaland even admitted it himself in a blog post which, ironically, made sure that Haaland couldn’t sue Keane when the book came out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/haaland-admission-could-wreck-case-6316729.html
I an aware of that fact, and others, which ironically were mentioned in the article you posted:

Haaland has been told by doctors that - despite what he wrote last year - it is possible that his standing left leg sustained critical damage in the challenge.

Irwin99

I'm sure they must have faced each other in between the Keane injury then that tackle. It was a few years later
Yeah they did; see the video above where they clashed over a penalty United were denied and then when Haaland makes a two footed scissor tackle on Keane from behind afterwards. The guy had a deathwish.

I think they also faced each other in the game at City where Becks scored the freekick in 2001 too.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah they did; see the video above where they clashed over a penalty United were denied and then when Haaland makes a two footed scissor tackle on Keane from behind afterwards. The guy had a deathwish.

I think they also faced each other in the game at City where Becks scored the freekick in 2001 too.

So if Keane really had a grudge he would have done something earlier. I think it was just a case of United were probably not playing well that day and suddenly Haaland hung his leg it and he just thought feck it have this

Manc_white

Supports
Leeds united

I think you’re forgetting that Keane actually hurt himself trying to trip haaland in the first place. Haaland abused him telling him it served him right and to get up

Halftrack

I an aware of that fact, and others, which ironically were mentioned in the article you posted:

Haaland has been told by doctors that - despite what he wrote last year - it is possible that his standing left leg sustained critical damage in the challenge.
That "possible" is doing a bit of lifting.

I'm not an expert, I've been lead to believe that it would be highly unlikely, as both of Haaland's feet were off the ground at the time of the impact.

Irwin99

So if Keane really had a grudge he would have done something earlier. I think it was just a case of United were probably not playing well that day and suddenly Haaland hung his leg it and he just thought feck it have this
To be fair United had sown up the title long before that game and had been knocked out of the champions league by Bayern, so if it was premeditated he probably picked the best time to do it, right at the end of the game, at the end of a season when nothing mattered. I mean, that's professionalism if anything :p

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think you’re forgetting that Keane actually hurt himself trying to trip haaland in the first place. Haaland abused him telling him it served him right and to get up
Aye, often forgotten as well. And I think Keane alluded to his own stupidity in how he did his cruciate by needlessly fouling somebody.

Grande

That "possible" is doing a bit of lifting.

I'm not an expert, I've been lead to believe that it would be highly unlikely, as both of Haaland's feet were off the ground at the time of the impact.
Neither am I, nor a doctor, and neither is Haaland, nor Keane. I’m not trying to prove what happened beyond a reasonable doubt, but I see that there are multiple nuances involved.

In regards to Keane - if I say, happened to be maybe Europe’s best midfielder, and I kicked someone from behind in the box, and felt something tear, and heard him abuse me for staying down agter kicking him - hopefully, given time to think, I’d conclude that my injury was my fault, and that his abuse was understandable based on the fact that I’d kicked him and he couldn’t know I was really injured because he didn’t see it as I’d just kicked him from behind. Hopefully - and regardless if he was like me, a bit of a twatty ruffian, - I’d not put him on my quite long back-of-the-head-list of people I’m going to hurt if I ever get the chance.

Hopefully, I wouldn’t, years later, with him playing for another club, decide to go frontkicking his knee in from the side in a manner very apt to injure someone for life. And if I did, I’d probably say I’m terribly sorry right away, instead of standing over him to abuse him, based on this warped grudge list.

And if he turned out to play only one more full game his entire carreer after that kick, I probably would have looked at the replay several times, noticed his left knee was also affected, that it was in fact bandaged, and thought, o shit, did I play a part in aggravating that injury that ended his carreer? When I heard that the player himself exonerated me publicly for that, but his doctors said the challenge possibly may have played a part, I hope I’d have found it in myself to look at that possibility, which, after all was a pretty likely outcome of that challenge either way, and, you know, maybe sendt him some roses, a guinness and an apology card, something to show that I at any rate was sorry for the outcome and the chance that I’d have anything to do with it. I definitely hope I wouldn’t, ten years later, steadfastly and publicly, conclude that I had nothing to regret, and that he was a c*nt and a tw*t and it wasn’t me, and that was all I had to say about it.

But that’s just me. Not Roy Keane. Definitely not Roy Keane. Reading this, you probably assume I have a lot of strong feelings about this, or about Keane, or about Haaland. But you’d be wrong, even if I did write a TLDR post about it. I just took an interest in Roy Keane as a great United player, and in what happened, and I like the option to be straight up about what it looked like without having to pick sides, myths or narratives. And I like a good discussion. Sometimes.

lsd

The Oracle
Neither am I, nor a doctor, and neither is Haaland, nor Keane. I’m not trying to prove what happened beyond a reasonable doubt, but I see that there are multiple nuances involved.

In regards to Keane - if I say, happened to be maybe Europe’s best midfielder, and I kicked someone from behind in the box, and felt something tear, and heard him abuse me for staying down agter kicking him - hopefully, given time to think, I’d conclude that my injury was my fault, and that his abuse was understandable based on the fact that I’d kicked him and he couldn’t know I was really injured because he didn’t see it as I’d just kicked him from behind. Hopefully - and regardless if he was like me, a bit of a twatty ruffian, - I’d not put him on my quite long back-of-the-head-list of people I’m going to hurt if I ever get the chance.

Hopefully, I wouldn’t, years later, with him playing for another club, decide to go frontkicking his knee in from the side in a manner very apt to injure someone for life. And if I did, I’d probably say I’m terribly sorry right away, instead of standing over him to abuse him, based on this warped grudge list.

And if he turned out to play only one more full game his entire carreer after that kick, I probably would have looked at the replay several times, noticed his left knee was also affected, that it was in fact bandaged, and thought, o shit, did I play a part in aggravating that injury that ended his carreer? When I heard that the player himself exonerated me publicly for that, but his doctors said the challenge possibly may have played a part, I hope I’d have found it in myself to look at that possibility, which, after all was a pretty likely outcome of that challenge either way, and, you know, maybe sendt him some roses, a guinness and an apology card, something to show that I at any rate was sorry for the outcome and the chance that I’d have anything to do with it. I definitely hope I wouldn’t, ten years later, steadfastly and publicly, conclude that I had nothing to regret, and that he was a c*nt and a tw*t and it wasn’t me, and that was all I had to say about it.

But that’s just me. Not Roy Keane. Definitely not Roy Keane. Reading this, you probably assume I have a lot of strong feelings about this, or about Keane, or about Haaland. But you’d be wrong, even if I did write a TLDR post about it. I just took an interest in Roy Keane as a great United player, and in what happened, and I like the option to be straight up about what it looked like without having to pick sides, myths or narratives. And I like a good discussion. Sometimes.

How did kicking him in one knee hurt his other knee? The only reason Haaland never sued was because he knew it would be thrown out as there was no way he could prove that Keane caused the injury in his other knee

Also why assume Keane has a magical supply of guinness

Grande

How did kicking him in one knee hurt his other knee? The only reason Haaland never sued was because he knew it would be thrown out as there was no way he could prove that Keane caused the injury in his other knee

Also why assume Keane has a magical supply of guinness
Do you know? I don’t know either way. The doctors examining him said it was possible. I assume they know better than us.

Had to laugh at the bolded part :lol:

SirAF

Ageist

Possible, but highly unlikely. If there was a high degree of likelihood then Haaland would have sued.

Herman Toothrot

I'd not visit these doctors if I were you. Haaland finished the match then played for Norway 4-days later. The problems with his left knee also predate that game and incident, so unless Keane had a DeLorean, I think we can put this one to bed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Served him right? He deserved to do his ACL because he 'allegedly' tried to trip him up. Can tell you're a Leeds Fan.... hahahaha. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Grande

Possible, but highly unlikely. If there was a high degree of likelihood then Haaland would have sued.
I dont think any of us can have an idea about the likelihood based on the information. The decision of City and Haaland not to sue is based on the strength of evidence, yes, but they would presumably have needed a conclusive medical statement to even start that costly mill. But even ‘highly likely’ is not conclusive. Truth is, we, and the players in question, just don’t know to which degree the attack contributed to the end of Haalands carreer. That’s how life looks at times.

Grande

I'd not visit these doctors if I were you. Haaland finished the match then played for Norway 4-days later. The problems with his left knee also predate that game and incident, so unless Keane had a DeLorean, I think we can put this one to bed.
I’d almost certainly visit these doctors before I visited you, if I needed medical advice. Even if you are a physician, I’d be wary of going to a doctor who though an injury can only have one cause, cannot be aggravated, and that no footballer ever plays through injury.

Marwood

But you also have to remember that Keano did his cruciate trying to cynically foul Haaland. Hence the reaction from Haaland.

I love Keano but that whole thing was on him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But you also have to remember that Keano did his cruciate trying to cynically foul Haaland. Hence the reaction from Haaland.

I love Keano but that whole thing was on him.
If somebody tried to trip you up and they did their ACL in the process would you stand over them abusing them when they are clearly in a lot of pain? I'm sorry but that's utter nonsense. There are 10 to 20 cynical fouls in every single PL game. Whether that's a tug on the shirt, leaving a foot in, a trip, an illegal block etc.

Haaland got what he deserved.

Grande

Served him right? He deserved to do his ACL because he 'allegedly' tried to trip him up. Can tell you're a Leeds Fan.... hahahaha. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
Don’t be daft. Haaland said that, not @Manc_white. If you have seen the incident, you’ll know that Haaland was kicked in the legs from behind, and turned right back to shout at Keane in anger. Obviously he didn’t know at thst point it was an ACL, it must have seemed just like any other player that stays down in the box to get s penalty or avoid a card. Not so for Leeds keeper (Paul Robinson?) who saw the incident and Roy Keane, yoj can tell he imediately gets that some real injury has happened in the way he moves straight up and takes Haaland away.

I don’t get the point of trying to make this a rivalry thing or try to defend Roy Keane over it. Anyone who has followed Keane knows that he has good and bad sides, that he has grown up with violence, and that violence was part of his game. Most times a controlled, measured violence, useful and even admired in football, and sometimes beyond any reasonable degree.

Anyone who has admired Keane and taken an interest in him also know that he is a stubborn winner and sometimes foolishly hardheaded even in spite of all evidence. And if you can’t concede that Roy Keane is among the most grudgeful players to have played in red, you haven’t followed Roy Keane.

The way you and some others argue about his behavior towards Haaland,looks like someone saying that anyone would have kung fu kicked that Palace supporter over the rails, or that it was a readonable thing to do because the so called fan turned out to be an asshole. Anyone who loves Cantona like I do, knows that only Cantona would have done that, and it was not reasonable at all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So Roy Keane injured Haaland? fecking hell is there no limit to this guy? Haaland is only 21.