Roy Keane

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Wtf?? Keane just basically admitted Gerrard was better than Scholes.

After Carragher made a case for Gerrard, Keano just went "Yeah I agree but you know loyalties..." and started laughing.

You can easily see that he think Gerrard is the superior player.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wtf?? Keane just basically admitted Gerrard was better than Scholes.

After Carragher made a case for Gerrard, Keano just went "Yeah I agree but you know loyalties..." and started laughing.

You can easily see that he think Gerrard is the superior player.
Keane is a troll, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t really get on with any of his old United’s teamamtes.

Djemba-Djemba

Keane is a troll, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t really get on with any of his old United’s teamamtes.
He's a contrarian and he seems to have a real issue with anyone that got on well with Fergie. Particularly the class of 92, other than Nicky Butt it feels like but he was probably the low key member of that group.

He did something where he chose his best Utd 11 he played with and it seemed to be full of players Fergie had fallen out with, I'm sure he picked Paul Ince in midfield over Scholes and like Heinze over Neville or something stupid like that.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Keane was wrong in his spat with Fergie. No one can go out and chat shit about his teammates on live TV without getting severely punished for it. Lord knows what he was thinking.

DevilRed

Keane will take any opportunity to rag on the class of 92/Fergie and co.

Taking his opinions at face value would be silly.

Djemba-Djemba

Keane was wrong in his spat with Fergie. No one can go out and chat shit about his teammates on live TV without getting severely punished for it. Lord knows what he was thinking.
He overplayed his hand and thought he was more powerful at the club than he really was.

I think that is the big thing why he now hates Fergie and is still so bitter nearly 20 years later. He was embarrassed and he's clearly very stubborn and has a lot of pride and he can't get over that embarrassment.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Keane will take any opportunity to rag on the class of 92/Fergie and co.

Taking his opinions at face value would be silly.
This, remember the doc he did a few years ago where he had to pick his best ever united 11 and it was just lads who fell out with Fergie. :lol:

What really annoys me about the Scholes thing is that people never talk about Scholes ability to control a game, the debate is always dumbed down because that's the only way Gerrard can win.

90 + 5min

It wasn’t that bad. Once you let players drop in quality in every way you are in trouble. We could need 2-3 Keane in our team right now.
Getting rid of Keane who was leader on both pitch and dressingroom was misstake. Once rest of old guard left our standards dropped because other players didn’t learned what it takes to be winners. Position where we are now in.

Djemba-Djemba

It wasn’t that bad. Once you let players drop in quality in every way you are in trouble. We could need 2-3 Keane in our team right now.
Getting rid of Keane who was leader on both pitch and dressingroom was misstake. Once rest of old guard left our standards dropped because other players didn’t learned what it takes to be winners. Position where we are now in.
Eh?

We went on an incredible run after Keane left. How did standards drop after he left? We won the title 3 years running directly after Keane was released and made 2 CL finals.

Keane left in December 2005 and in the next 3 and a half years we won 3 titles, a CL, 2 league cups and a Club World Cup.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You never bad mouth your own teammates publicly. That was the case then and its the case today.

He can pull their pants down in the dressing room but he was daft to go about it on their own club TV coverage.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Getting shot of Keane and Van Nistelrooy closed the chapter of one era and started another, arguably better period of dominance.

2009 was the start of the end.

UncleBob

:lol:

poleglass red

He overplayed his hand and thought he was more powerful at the club than he really was.

I think that is the big thing why he now hates Fergie and is still so bitter nearly 20 years later. He was embarrassed and he's clearly very stubborn and has a lot of pride and he can't get over that embarrassment.
think that was the crux of it, his time as a player was coming to an end, he barley played for Celtic when he left us. Think Fergie hid behind the interview and used it as an excuse to get rid of him. Show the man a bit of a respect in lieu of all he give for the club. To get rid of a player for comments he give as a pundit is a bit rich. Fergie wasn't too slow in his countless books in criticising players. Fergie did the same thing with Stam, used comments from his book to get rid of him, difference there was Stam was still in his prime. Unsavoury from both men in recent years in not burying the hatchet, but their stubborness was probably a big part of their football success.The funny thing is, Keane's comments and what Stam wrote in his book were both very tame.

90 + 5min

Eh?

We went on an incredible run after Keane left. How did standards drop after he left? We won the title 3 years running directly after Keane was released and made 2 CL finals.

Keane left in December 2005 and in the next 3 and a half years we won 3 titles, a CL, 2 league cups and a Club World Cup.
I said after old guard left. I think our younger players could have learned more with him around so we would be better prepared after

You never bad mouth your own teammates publicly. That was the case then and its the case today.

He can pull their pants down in the dressing room but he was daft to go about it on their own club TV coverage.
I don’t know about that. Usually I’m with you on that but sometimes there is need for tougher aproach. And as I said, I don’t think he was that out of line.

Getting shot of Keane and Van Nistelrooy closed the chapter of one era and started another, arguably better period of dominance.

2009 was the start of the end.
No problem with starting a new era. I do think that Keane was more then a player and We should have kept him.

UncleBob

I said after old guard left. I think our younger players could have learned more with him around so we would be better prepared after

I don’t know about that. Usually I’m with you on that but sometimes there is need for tougher aproach. And as I said, I don’t think he was that out of line.

No problem with starting a new era. I do think that Keane was more then a player and We should have kept him.
Keane turned into a fecking disaster on every level humanly possible when his body couldn't keep up with his mindset. Fergie got rid because Keane started having the opposite effect on youngsters

stevoc

It wasn't live TV or someone would have recorded it.

Would be interested to know if MUTV still have a copy of it somewhere, surprised it hasn't surfaced by now.

Marwood

Others have pointed out how much success we had after Keane left so there was no loss whatsoever.

But in anycase there was no choice really. He only made 10 appearances after leaving us and retired. His body was done.

Djemba-Djemba

Keane turned into a fecking disaster on every level humanly possible when his body couldn't keep up with his mindset. Fergie got rid because Keane started having the opposite effect on youngsters
This is true.

The Roy Keane of 1996 or even 2000 could probably say whatever he wanted about the squad and it wouldn't have been a big deal. Fergie knew how valuable and important he was, would have maybe just had a word with Keane and that would be that.

The Keane of 2005 was broken down and aging, he could still raise himself to play well in the big games but he just couldn't manage playing regularly. Was constantly injured.

I think the MUTV was just the final straw.

90 + 5min

You are so wrong in that. Sure, his body took hit and he was not like his prime but he could do a job without question.

Where was that opposite effect he had on players and youngsters? He never let standards down, whoever you were. You could have been star or young kid, he was same towards anyone.

90 + 5min

Others have pointed out how much success we had after Keane left so there was no loss whatsoever.

But in anycase there was no choice really. He only made 10 appearances after leaving us and retired. His body was done.
It is not about just being player. It is about being key figure and a leader in dressing room. I think he should and could have stayed longer and actually stayed as a member of coaching staff. We had lot of success after Keane. Nobody is denying that.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Eh?

3 finals, one CL win vs Chelsea and 2 CL losses to Barcelona, which further solidifies your point.

Edit: Did you name 2 CL finals in a row?

UncleBob

You are so wrong in that. Sure, his body took hit and he was not like his prime but he could do a job without question.

Where was that opposite effect he had on players and youngsters? He never let standards down, whoever you were. You could have been star or young kid, he was same towards anyone.
He did such a cracking job after being booted out of United, clearly proves you are right.

While we struggled badly, especially with Darren Fletcher, entered one of our worst periods in terms of trophies and football played.

Yep, that's how it went.

Keane needed to lead by example, when he couldn't lead by example he just became someone with a big mouth.

phelans shorts

Keane became a very angry and bitter man when he couldn’t live up to his own standards. This had a very negative effect on everyone around him and led to a crippling fear around the squad that wasn’t conductive to letting the young side we were bringing together to grow out of the shadow, which they went on to do.

Chairman Steve

Keane was a shadow of himself by 2003, so I think he’d have been phased out anyway. I do think he mistakenly thought he was equal to Ferguson when he made those remarks on MUTV, and Ferguson swatted him down and basically told him that he couldn’t do that even if he was captain.

I think Ferguson leaned a lot on Queiroz too by that point, and Queiroz wanted to phase Keane out. Keane has a huge disdain for Queiroz too.

His extremely brief Celtic career pretty much showed he had regressed into being an on-pitch thug shithouse player.

Oranges038

He's a contrarian and he seems to have a real issue with anyone that got on well with Fergie. Particularly the class of 92, other than Nicky Butt it feels like but he was probably the low key member of that group.

He did something where he chose his best Utd 11 he played with and it seemed to be full of players Fergie had fallen out with, I'm sure he picked Paul Ince in midfield over Scholes and like Heinze over Neville or something stupid like that.
Bag a shite.

He was asked who was his ideal midfield partner from any era on sky before. You'll never guess who he picked......

Irwin99

Keane was a shadow of himself by 2003, so I think he’d have been phased out anyway. I do think he mistakenly thought he was equal to Ferguson when he made those remarks on MUTV, and Ferguson swatted him down and basically told him that he couldn’t do that even if he was captain.

I think Ferguson leaned a lot on Queiroz too by that point, and Queiroz wanted to phase Keane out. Keane has a huge disdain for Queiroz too.

His extremely brief Celtic career pretty much showed he had regressed into being an on-pitch thug shithouse player.
I kind of agree that he was a shadow of himself after the hip surgery in 2003 but he did have a good season performance wise in 2004-05 and his stats for that season were pretty immense. The controlled performances at Anfield and Highbury and even the FA cup final were proof he was still a very good player and i'm not exaggerating when i say the 33 year old keane would be our best midfielder by a million miles if he was here at that age now. No contest. A far better player than Matic is currently, and could dictate a game better than Fred or Mctominay or Pogba.

Not sure what your last sentence is about, thug shithouse player? :confused:

Irwin99

I thought that was a fun interview. Not sure why people get so triggered by everything Keane says. Jamie's point about Gerrard's influence and his ability to play different positions was very valid, the only disappointing thing was that i'd counter that Gerrard couldn't dictate the game in the way Scholes could and was technically inferior.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Can’t believe there’s still people that think Gerrard was better than Scholes.

Gerrard was a great player but Scholes is clear.

crossy1686

career ending
I thought that was a fun interview. Not sure why people get so triggered by everything Keane says. Jamie's point about Gerrard's influence and his ability to play different positions was very valid, the only disappointing thing was that i'd counter that Gerrard couldn't dictate the game in the way Scholes could and was technically inferior.
It’s not just Keane, it’s Neville and anyone else that played for United. For some reason whenever they express an opinion people get super offended on here. Weird behaviour

Irwin99

It’s not just Keane, it’s Neville and anyone else that played for United. For some reason whenever they express an opinion people get super offended on here. Weird behaviour
Unlike Neville though who's very serious, Keane always comes across as very funny and is always self-deprecating. I'm baffled that people don't understand where he's coming from; you'd think he actively hates the class of 92 judging by people's comments here when it's pretty obvious he likes them ("loyalty") it's just that he has more of a fondness for the 94 team. It's just a different mentality. His huge respect and admiration for Brian Clough-a man who actually punched him in the face- is the same.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Keane gets on well with a lot of them, apart from maybe Schmeichel I can’t think of any other he had problems with.
And his ex teammates will tell you even until today that he was the best captain they ever had.
He recently visited Andy Cole in hospital, is friends with Ole and regularly meets the class of 92, goes to the club’s game the class of 92 own, etc.
He likes having digs at Fergie and the players Fergie was loyal to until the end (well apart from Ronaldo, doesn’t take any digs at him), but otherwise there are no issues.
He has just naturally always kept some distance with most of the other players, even in his book which he wrote in 2002 he calls the 92 group “kids and a tight-knitted group” despite only being 3-4 years older himself.

Djemba-Djemba

Bag a shite.

He was asked who was his ideal midfield partner from any era on sky before. You'll never guess who he picked......

It was a show from 2013 with Patrick Vieira where they tried to pick a combined Utd and Arsenal team.

He picked Paul Ince over Paul Scholes and fecking Paul Parker over Gary Neville. Also picked Ronaldo on the left so he didn't have to choose Ryan Giggs either.

Oranges038

It was a show from 2013 with Patrick Vieira where they tried to pick a combined Utd and Arsenal team.

He picked Paul Ince over Paul Scholes and fecking Paul Parker over Gary Neville. Also picked Ronaldo on the left so he didn't have to choose Ryan Giggs either.
And in that combined team he picked Viera and Viera picked him in midfield.

Paul Ince was a fantastic player, a massive knobhead but a brilliant midfielder. But, if I remember correctly Keane also said he'd swap himself out for Scholes if he had to swap one player.

Also, as a player Paul Parker was every bit as good as, if not better than Gary Neville. Were it not for his continous injuries towards the latter end of his tine at Utd Gary Neville would have been waiting a bit longer on the bench to get his chance.

Also leaving Giggs out for Ronaldo, that's hardly harsh.

Revaulx

He couldn't cope with his own decline and convinced himself that it was everybody else's fault.

It happens regularly to massively talented, driven people. Most of them make peace over it after a while; Hargreaves' bitterness at United completely evaporated several years ago. The unusual thing about Keane is that he at least acts as though he still believes it.

Whatever, my daughter has waited on him and all the Class of 92 and says he's absolutely delightful :angel: