Roy Keane

Djemba-Djemba

And in that combined team he picked Viera and Viera picked him in midfield.

Paul Ince was a fantastic player, a massive knobhead but a brilliant midfielder. But, if I remember correctly Keane also said he'd swap himself out for Scholes if he had to swap one player.

Also, as a player Paul Parker was every bit as good as, if not better than Gary Neville. Were it not for his continous injuries towards the latter end of his tine at Utd Gary Neville would have been waiting a bit longer on the bench to get his chance.

Also leaving Giggs out for Ronaldo, that's hardly harsh.
You can argue Beckham over Giggs, and maybe even Ince over Scholes even though I think that one is mental.

But there is no chance Paul Parker was the best Utd right back Keane played with. By about halfway through Keane's second season here Neville had already replaced Parker as first choice. He played with Parker for about 18 months and Neville for about 11 years.

He's even said himself since he regrets doing that show and picking that eleven.

Foxbatt

He also said it's a big mistake to make Maguire captain just as he walked into Old Trafford.

Oranges038

You can argue Beckham over Giggs, and maybe even Ince over Scholes even though I think that one is mental.

But there is no chance Paul Parker was the best Utd right back Keane played with. By about halfway through Keane's second season here Neville had already replaced Parker as first choice. He played with Parker for about 18 months and Neville for about 11 years.

He's even said himself since he regrets doing that show and picking that eleven.
Yeah, you can argue over it with him. It was his team, he can explain it. He picked the players. If he preferred Paul Parker having only played with him for a couple of years to Gary Neville, that's his choice; or if he preferred Ronaldo to Giggs, even though he only played with Ronaldo for a year or two, again that's his choice.

Only he knows if there was bitterness or pettiness behind his choices. Being that it was for Tv I'd day some concessions were made. I'd be inclined to think that Neville wasn't picked because in a combined team, he's the best right back between the two teams as he was miles better than Lauren or whoever it was they picked. In midifeld if you have Scholes or Robson and Keane in the Utd side instead of Ince. Viera just wouldn't get a look in for a combined team. You'd probably have ended up with a combined team that had Henry in it as the only Arsenal player and that wouldn't make for interesting telly at all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, you can argue over it with him. It was his team, he can explain it. He picked the players. If he preferred Paul Parker having only played with him for a couple of years to Gary Neville, that's his choice; or if he preferred Ronaldo to Giggs, even though he only played with Ronaldo for a year or two, again that's his choice.

Only he knows if there was bitterness or pettiness behind his choices. Being that it was for Tv I'd day some concessions were made. I'd be inclined to think that Neville wasn't picked because in a combined team, he's the best right back between the two teams as he was miles better than Lauren or whoever it was they picked. In midifeld if you have Scholes or Robson and Keane in the Utd side instead of Ince. Viera just wouldn't get a look in for a combined team. You'd probably have ended up with a combined team that had Henry in it as the only Arsenal player and that wouldn't make for interesting telly at all.
He left Giggs, G Nev and Scholes out as they were Fergie favourites. It was hilariously petty even by Keano's standards. Keeping Ince and Beckham in there as they had fall outs.

Imagine leaving Scholes out for Ince for goodness sake.

Chripper

Type: Roy Keane & Lee Sharpe Pre Match | March 1995 into YouTube (I'm not allowed to post links)

I remember Keane when he was that age. What I didn't know is how incredibly good natured he was... verging on campy

And that laugh... he sounds like Woody Woodpecker. I had a neighbour (who recently moved, thank god!) who had the exact same laugh. I wanted to strangle him.

No wonder Roy doesn't laugh anymore. That must be why he has a rapport with Micah Richards, they both have mad laughs.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Keane was wrong in his spat with Fergie. No one can go out and chat shit about his teammates on live TV without getting severely punished for it. Lord knows what he was thinking.
Did you see the tape? I admit I haven’t but I have heard it wasn’t nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Plus we had just lost 4-1 to Boro. Now that’s simply unnaceptable.

DevilRed

This, remember the doc he did a few years ago where he had to pick his best ever united 11 and it was just lads who fell out with Fergie. :lol:

What really annoys me about the Scholes thing is that people never talk about Scholes ability to control a game, the debate is always dumbed down because that's the only way Gerrard can win.
He would have picked Dennis Irwin 11 times if he could :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I just hope he and Fergie get over it and do a reunion, it's just become too petty by this time and frankly I don't think we would have Fergie around that much longer, would be a shame if they never amend things and leave it on a sour note :(
Both are too stubborn and strong headed to make concessions unfortunately.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Unlike Neville though who's very serious, Keane always comes across as very funny and is always self-deprecating. I'm baffled that people don't understand where he's coming from; you'd think he actively hates the class of 92 judging by people's comments here when it's pretty obvious he likes them ("loyalty") it's just that he has more of a fondness for the 94 team. It's just a different mentality. His huge respect and admiration for Brian Clough-a man who actually punched him in the face- is the same.
Agree with this. He's more in tune with the 94 generation - they were the standard setters when he joined the side, and the guys who made the biggest impression on him at a younger and more impressionable age.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I just hope he and Fergie get over it and do a reunion, it's just become too petty by this time and frankly I don't think we would have Fergie around that much longer, would be a shame if they never amend things and leave it on a sour note :(
Only one man can bring peace between two titans

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There's zero chance of that happening. Keane didn't even reach out when SAF nearly died.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
People always go after Keane for not extending the olive branch to SAF. But there's been nothing substantial from the other side either. Both are the same.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can't wait for Keane to rip into these scrubs. Although he looks so downbeat don't think he even has it in him today :(

Superunknown

Sad times when Souness seems to be more in touch with the club and its culture, its traditions, and its expectations, than the players are. Roy Keane would absolutely throttle the lot of them if he was there.

They're both also bang on when they talk about the players not taking responsibility for where they are. It's their own fault they are as low as they are. There does seem to be that sense of them looking around and waiting for something to change, rather than them enacting that change. There's no bottle at all there.

edcunited1878

Sad times when Souness seems to be more in touch with the club and its culture, its traditions, and its expectations, than the players are. Roy Keane would absolutely throttle the lot of them if he was there.

They're both also bang on when they talk about the players not taking responsibility for where they are. It's their own fault they are as low as they are. There does seem to be that sense of them looking around and waiting for something to change, rather than them enacting that change. There's no bottle at all there.
Too many players are afraid to admit they are letting themselves down and haven't been accountable for their actions.

But Keano was captain of the club and he gave everything for the club. Literally fought and challenged his own teammates to be better.

Comparing Robson, Pallister, Cantona, Neville, Vidic, and Rooney to recent captains like Valencia and now Maguire...it's fecking dire. Those captains were full of character, ability, and accountable for the standards of the club. Now, it's fecking Maguire. Keano is right...what he saw tonight and this past season is not the club nor shirt he fought for. It is shambolic.