Roy Keane

binary bot
If I remember correctly he was dismissive and said something like we haven’t played anyone yet.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Seemed like he really liked ETH after the Arsenal game, but guessing he can no longer praise him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If I remember correctly he was dismissive and said something like we haven’t played anyone yet.
Wasn’t he talking about this 7 game winning run we’re on? If so then he’s got a point. If not then we’ve played basically all the top sides and come out very favourably apart from at the etihad.

Hughie77

Des Lyneham look about him there. Grumpy twat yesterday he was. Wright had better things to say. Commentators were on itv usual shite.

Flexdegea

Wasn’t he talking about this 7 game winning run we’re on? If so then he’s got a point. If not then we’ve played basically all the top sides and come out very favourably apart from at the etihad.

It made no sense.

Is he saying he rather we just didn't win the games as we haven't played anyone in this current run..........but totally disregarding the fact we have played everyone and our record is really good.

Basically said he is not convinced about anything, all because of the ronaldo episode :lol:

Chairman Steve

Colour me surprised that a man who got sacked for saying things about the club he shouldn’t have said on TV is in the corner of another man who got sacked for saying things about the club he shouldn’t have said on TV.

JamesCurran

Colour me surprised that a man who got sacked for saying things about the club he shouldn’t have said on TV is in the corner of another man who got sacked for saying things about the club he shouldn’t have said on TV.
I don't remember seeing Roy Keane on the TV saying things about the club that he shouldn't have said?

Please enlighten everyone.

Steve Bruce

I don't remember seeing Roy Keane on the TV saying things about the club that he shouldn't have said?

Please enlighten everyone.
He had an interview on MUTV and if I remember correctly he went in on the club and it's lack of ambition in bringing in big players etc. But it was so long ago i can't remember the specifics. I think United buried it as well and it's near impossible to get it online now

Rockets Redglare

He had an interview on MUTV and if I remember correctly he went in on the club and it's lack of ambition in bringing in big players etc. But it was so long ago i can't remember the specifics. I think United buried it as well and it's near impossible to get it online now
He slated his teammates, it was nothing to do with ambition. He slagged off Ferdinand, Fletcher, Van De Sar and a number of the younger players at the time. Basically said they weren’t good enough and Ferdinand thought he was better than he was.

JamesCurran

It was never broadcast so was never on TV, that's your first correction.

Based on quotes from Roy and other people who seen the video he didn't say anything he shouldn't have (they got beat 4-1 by Middlesboroguh), and definitely didn't say the garage story you have just made up.

Roy Keane's explosive MUTV rant: Read the full outburst on the 10th anniversary - Mirror Online

Revisiting Every Word Roy Keane Said in His Infamous MUTV Rant in 2005 That Led to His Dismissal From The Club (90min.com)

Individuals who have been shown the video also said their was nothing wrong with it, including players he talked about.

Wayne Rooney defends Roy Keane’s infamous 2005 MUTV rant at Man Utd stars after Middlesbrough defeat - ‘Nothing wrong with it’ (talksport.com)

Darren Fletcher reveals the truth about infamous Roy Keane Manchester United video - Manchester Evening News

None of the players had an issue with Roy Keane's MUTV interview - Rio Ferdinand - Independent.ie

My recollections are from seeing snippets of it and thinking there was nothing untoward about it,” says Joe Evans, one of the MUTV interviewers and commentators from the time. “There was nothing you wouldn’t expect. He wasn’t vindictive, he wasn’t vitriolic. He was honest — but what else did you expect? There was never a point when I thought, ‘Whoa, he said what?’. It was just Roy Keane speaking from the heart.

Equally, several of Keane’s ex-colleagues have stated publicly that the programme wasn’t as shocking as you might think. Ferdinand is one, Neville another. Rooney, too.

“We watched the tape and, as Roy would claim, parts of it had been blown out of all proportion,” said Neville in his autobiography. “And, as the manager would argue, some of it wasn’t exactly the message you wanted to be broadcast on MUTV at a time when the team was struggling. Roy had gone for it but, in his eyes, only in the way that he always speaks his mind.”

Evans, who was popular with the players and remained at MUTV for another four years, can also remember the mood behind the scenes. “The general feeling was that he (Keane) was treated badly. I’ve reflected on this for years and I wonder sometimes whether it was used, or manipulated, to get him out.

Roy Keane, Sir Alex Ferguson and that ‘dynamite’ MUTV interview - The Athletic

Oranges038

That whole thing was blown out of all proportion just to get him out. Fergie knew his time was up, he just needed something to use as a catalyst for his departure. There was a lot of little things leading up to it, Keane felt he was being marginalised within the group, being put in out of the way places in training games etc. That interview on MUTV gave Fergie the excuse he was looking for and he took it with both hands. Keane's grudge is because he felt there were underhand tactics behind it all and they weren't being straight up and honest with him.

Personally, I think Fergie knew the team was heading in a different direction, he knew Keane wasn't compatible with it anynore, didn't want him round as a player and certainly didn't want him around in a coaching capacity. So he just did it in a way that meant he'd never have to deal with Keane again.

Steve Bruce

He slated his teammates, it was nothing to do with ambition. He slagged off Ferdinand, Fletcher, Van De Sar and a number of the younger players at the time. Basically said they weren’t good enough and Ferdinand thought he was better than he was.
Funny how time changes the story. It's not something I thought about in well over a decade

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He had an interview on MUTV and if I remember correctly he went in on the club and it's lack of ambition in bringing in big players etc.
That's a myth.

He effectively said that everyone was a bit shit (the kids were shit, the experienced ones were also shit) and claimed that the club were awarding shit performances.

He commented specifically on certain players (Rio, Fletcher, VDS, Richardson, O' Shea).

He was pissed off and said things he never should have said in public.

Most of his comments were about the match, though (like his comments about VDS - it was match specific).

But the rant gave Fergie the opportunity/excuse he needed to get rid of Keane.

Was Fergie right to get rid of him?

Of course he was.

Will Keane ever recognize this?

Of course he will not.

Dan_F

That whole thing was blown out of all proportion just to get him out. Fergie knew his time was up, he just needed something to use as a catalyst for his departure. There was a lot of little things leading up to it, Keane felt he was being marginalised within the group, being put in out of the way places in training games etc. That interview on MUTV gave Fergie the excuse he was looking for and he took it with both hands. Keane's grudge is because he felt there were underhand tactics behind it all and they weren't being straight up and honest with him.

Personally, I think Fergie knew the team was heading in a different direction, he knew Keane wasn't compatible with it anynore, didn't want him round as a player and certainly didn't want him around in a coaching capacity. So he just did it in a way that meant he'd never have to deal with Keane again.
Pretty much spot on. Both about him not being suitable for the newer generation of players and his ability to continue playing. Don’t forget he had to retire just over 6 months later on doctors advice.

Fergie knew he didn’t need to keep him round, he had the likes of Neville, Giggs, Scholes for the dressing room.

90 + 5min

Not exactly. Without saying to much, he wasn't happy with some of players performances. It was nothing shocking.

From that, it is all about politics.

poleglass red

Keane's time was up, injuries had taken their toll on him. But considering all he had done for the club, don't hide behind an interview as a stick to beat him, speak to him like a man and tell him to his face, he still wouldn't have been happy but in time would have realised it was the right call, and it was. I hate the way this was handled. Fergie did something similiar with Stam as well. The fact the interview Keane give is impossible to find probably illustrates it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Sad to see 2 legends still at loggerheads with each other.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Just on that infamous interview, it was pretty silly of MUTV to get Roy Keane to analyse a game where Manchester United had just been smashed. Even on a club propaganda channel, you know he's not the type to say something like ''Rio could have defended that better'' or ''Edwin would be disappointed to let a goal in like at his near post like that''.

Zen86

I always got the impression he was starting to become a pain in the arse behind the scenes and Fergie wanted to make way for fresh legs. His MUTV rant was the last straw and a convenient excuse to get rid. It's a shame how it ended and understandable if he's a tad bitter about it, but we know how ruthless Fergie was when he'd had enough.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Pretty much spot on. Both about him not being suitable for the newer generation of players and his ability to continue playing. Don’t forget he had to retire just over 6 months later on doctors advice.

Fergie knew he didn’t need to keep him round, he had the likes of Neville, Giggs, Scholes for the dressing room.
Why then did Fergie not just tell him the truth and put him on the transfer list. If its true that Fergie underhandedly managed him out with petty decisions against his best ever captain then he goes down in my estimation.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Why then did Fergie not just tell him the truth and put him on the transfer list. If its true that Fergie underhandedly managed him out with petty decisions against his best ever captain then he goes down in my estimation.
Why then did Keane not realize that his time was up and take it easy? These are existential questions that can't be answered.

Oranges038

Yeah, he even admitted as much not long after. I think Keane's grudge comes from him feeling his exit was engineered from within and that just they weren't straight with him. I'm sure if they were upfront and honest he might have viewed the whole situation differently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-to-rebuild-united-says-ferguson-516396.html

Irwin99

The start of the Keane incident was the summer tour bust up with Queiroz and the fact that he felt the club weren't moving in the right direction. He was proven wrong but at the time the majority of fans were on his side, especially when we got knocked out of the CL group stage for the first time in a decade.

Ultimately it was the right call by Fergie but i also think people forget he did have a very good season in 04-05 (a huge improvement over 03-04).

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Funny how he can't seem to separate his own exit with Ronaldo's. Different times, different managers, totally different circumstances. I don't believe Keane's interview with MUTV was a self preservation attempt by a narcissist like Ronaldo's with Piers Morgan was.

For the record, I believe Fergie did feck Keane over. Like some have mentioned, the interview was used as an excuse to get rid a declining player. When Eric Cantona retired, I recall Ferguson himself saying how Eric had made things "easier for him", implying that Cantona walking away when he did saved Ferguson the drama and hassle of discarding a player that had once been huge for the club but was now on the wane. Keane, like Cantona (though in a totally different way) had made things easier for Ferguson.

Dan_F

Had Fergie just released him at the end of the year, fans might have been completely up in arms about it not realising what was happening in the dressing room, and also remember the team wasn’t doing well at the time. To lose a legend out of choice might have seemed crazy.

It also allowed him to enact total power once again, which he may have been looking to do seen as it was a young impressionable squad.

Maybe Fergie regretted not letting him see out the final months, given how quickly he retired. But that’s easy to say in hindsight.

Marwood

The MUTV interview wasn't the final straw.

It was the argument about it, in front of all the other players, that was the final nail.

You don't speak to Fergie like he apparently did, especially when you're near the end of your use. Only one outcome.

SirAF

Ageist
Had Fergie just released him at the end of the year, fans might have been completely up in arms about it not realising what was happening in the dressing room, and also remember the team wasn’t doing well at the time. To lose a legend out of choice might have seemed crazy.

It also allowed him to enact total power once again, which he may have been looking to do seen as it was a young impressionable squad.

Maybe Fergie regretted not letting him see out the final months, given how quickly he retired. But that’s easy to say in hindsight.
Yup, I absolutely adore Keane to this day - but Ferguson was right. He usually was.

Marwood

Funny how he can't seem to separate his own exit with Ronaldo's. Different times, different managers, totally different circumstances. I don't believe Keane's interview with MUTV was a self preservation attempt by a narcissist like Ronaldo's with Piers Morgan was.

For the record, I believe Fergie did feck Keane over. Like some have mentioned, the interview was used as an excuse to get rid a declining player. When Eric Cantona retired, I recall Ferguson himself saying how Eric had made things "easier for him", implying that Cantona walking away when he did saved Ferguson the drama and hassle of discarding a player that had once been huge for the club but was now on the wane. Keane, like Cantona (though in a totally different way) had made things easier for Ferguson.
It wasn't an interview as such.

This was a regular feature on MUTV back then. A player would sit down with the presenter and look back at the last game. Go through the highlights. A weekly show if I remember correctly.

Was a brillant thing really. So much more access to the players back then.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Suppose we'll never know but he deserved the truth even behind the scenes.

It's a shame they don't speak

poleglass red

I think that's where Fergie missed a trick. If he had of said to Roy, thanks, you've been a great servant but no longer part of my plans . That would have had shown who had the power, using an interview he give as the reason for terminating his contract was a bit of a kop out in my opinion. Hindsight proves Fergie was right, as Keane hardly played for Celtic, but the way Fergie went about it never sat right with me.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I think that's where Fergie missed a trick. If he had of said to Roy, thanks, you've been a great servant but no longer part of my plans . That would have had shown who had the power, using an interview he give as the reason for terminating his contract was a bit of a kop out in my opinion. Hindsight proves Fergie was right, as Keane hardly played for Celtic, but the way Fergie went about it never sat right with me.
Nor me. And same with Stam