Ruben Neves - Player watch

JeffBoomTetris

Y
He played just 600 minutes of league football for a relatively weak Porto team last season, yet you think he should be playing for a better club...something seems amiss there. Do you actually know anything about him beyond the hype?
Yes I know. He is more talented than you think. You need to look beyond last season's 600 minutes. The 2 seasons prior to the last one, he was a starter for Porto. He even captained them in Europe despite being a teenager.

Hype is associated with all young players including Rashford, Martial and Shaw. What matters is what they show on the pitch and not what is being said in newspapers, talk shows or internet message boards

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
More to this than meets the eye methinks, some kind of smokescreen. Definitely something very dodgy at the heart of it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big money move somewhere in January. Then it'll be apparent what the motive was.

Kinda smacks of the Tevez/Mascherano signings.

Devil may care

Bit of a coup for Wolves, he's got talent and a lot of potential, it'll be interesting to see how he does in such a vastly different league.

stubie

With the level of investment and quality of players at Wolves they should get promotion this season...............Then again I found myself saying all this back in the 90's when Sir Jack Hayward was the Chairman.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
More to this than meets the eye methinks, some kind of smokescreen. Definitely something very dodgy at the heart of it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big money move somewhere in January. Then it'll be apparent what the motive was.

Yep. Definitely.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto

Spot on. He will probably be in Monaco in January or Atlético when the ban expires.

Wolve's coach Nuno was the worst we had in recent times. An absolute coward and with an annoying fake and repetitive speech. He didn't give playing time to Rúben Neves and now he takes him to fecking wolveramptom. The kid just wanted to play for his dream club and I'm pretty sure a decent manager would play him in the Kroos role, since he has an excellent right foot.

My club is in shambles because of a disastrous management. Buying crap and selling our best youth prospects just to meet the uefa agreement. This jorge Mendes type of guys are ruining football big time. I'm really fed up and no way I'll buy a season ticket next season.

This was only to fill a few members of the board's pockets. It's the kind of business being done in the last few years at Porto.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Y
Yes I know. He is more talented than you think. You need to look beyond last season's 600 minutes. The 2 seasons prior to the last one, he was a starter for Porto. He even captained them in Europe despite being a teenager.

Hype is associated with all young players including Rashford, Martial and Shaw. What matters is what they show on the pitch and not what is being said in newspapers, talk shows or internet message boards
There's a reason he has gradually played less minutes in each of the 3 seasons he's played for Porto: either he isn't a precocious enough talent to make everything else irrelevant, he's developing slowly, or his team need to place experience over talent in the search for short-term success. That would be true of any of the big clubs which is why none of them would make him a prominent player in their first team, which is undoubtedly why Neves chose to take a step down in his career for the time being. He might've went to a lower midtable club in Spain, Germany, Italy or England and been a regular starter if not for the fact that Mendes had this link with Wolves, but he's clearly not ready to play as often as he'd like for an elite club.

dannofdawn

I actually think this is a pretty smart move for all parties involved. I won't say it is for sure brilliant, there are some doubts, but on paper this could be a stroke of genius type move looking back in the coming future.

Below all assumes he is as talented as many think he is, if he turns out to be a fraud, then *shrug.

1. Playing in England even at Championship level could provide valuable experience to a young developing player. He should have no trouble tearing the league apart and make himself a very key member to Wolves' upcoming campaign.

2. Again if he plays well, he'll get all the game time he wants. Something a developing player desperately needs. And it is extra valuable when it is a very competitive league with clubs dying to play in the most profitable league in the world.

3. He'll have a lot of freedom to take risk, experiment, and to try new things in a league supposedly "beneath" him.

4. He'll learn to play in a more physical environment, an experience that could lend well in him learning to play better under physical pressure - something a midfielder will benefit greatly from.

5. If he do well in the upcoming season, no doubt top clubs will keep a close eye on him, Wolves could profit tremendously in today's market. Porto might include a buyback or sell on clause or something along the lines too. They might get the first say in buying him back for reasonable price.

6. Given his potential value, you know Wolves will value him as an important asset to the club and treat him right.

So if this materializes, Porto, Wolves, and Ruben Neves himself could profit from this tremendously.

Also I'm a little disappointed we didn't bother buying him this window. We need a replacement for Carrick, not saying he could be one right away, but buying him now (especially with his lack of game time last season) would be much cheaper than trying to get him in a year or 2. Even if he turns out not good enough, I don't think we would lose much from it. But if he does well, he is easily worth 30-40m+ in today's market.

If we aren't considering Fabinho, who else do we really have in mind? No way we're getting Matic now, and Dier won't be cheap either if not outright impossible given we are now direct rivals to Hotspur's ambitions. Why not give him a spot in the squad?

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jorge Mendes strikes again:rolleyes:

Can't believe this transfer.

cyberman

This is the danger of proclaiming young players as must have players.
He was lauded on here as a priority signing and now look.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's an idiot. Terrible place for him to go, the Championship won't suit his style of play at all and he could have been playing in La Liga or Serie A at good clubs learning from actual great managers instead of being coached by Jorge Mendes' blow up doll. Porto would have probably sold Danilo next season and he'd get the starting spot. As a Sporting fan it's good to see signs of weakness from Porto but I hate seeing young portuguese players making these stupid moves.
Nah, it's a great move, he'll play every game when fit, I'm sure that's part of the deal. And he'll toughen up no end and be playing in the Prem next year. Best place a talented soft arse could develop the Championship.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Crazy and i'm unsure if his game is suited to the Championship. Will it really make Wolves any better if the team isn't set up to suit his style?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
What!? Nuno Esperito Santo is Wolverhampton manager? fecking hell, puto Jorge Mendes, you gangster!

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
No, Raiola is a bit like Mendes, main difference is Raiola likes more pizza, and Mendes likes more this.

Sorry about the image, made a mistake inserting, I guess you can see it.
Big plastic boobs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And if he struggles to adapt to the league and is bang average and/or Wolves don't get promoted quickly (which is reasonable, given they finished 15th last season, it's a tough league and they are probably going to have to sign a lot of players who will need to gel quick) then he's set his career back massively.
If he doesn't have the capacity to impose at Wolves in 1 season he has only himself to blame, unless he has problems with injurys and all that, he had to fight in 3 seasons at Porto for a spot in the team with Casimiro and Danilo, not Johnny Nobody of this life, with all the respect for Wolves players.
Big plastic boobs.
No, completely natural. :lol:
What!? Nuno Esperito Santo is Wolverhampton manager? fecking hell, puto Jorge Mendes, you gangster!
Yes he is, he was the first real transaction Mendes made as agent to Deportivo La Coruna in 96, former goalkeeper.

Started coaching at Rio Ave (Mendes club), then Valencia (ok Lim and Mendes), Porto (former Mendes), and now Wolves (Fosun and Mendes), business has to continue, Neves is just a piece of the puzzle.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I'm heartbroken. I feel like continuing to play football manager instead

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm heartbroken. I feel like continuing to play football manager instead
You still have Danilo, and if you want my opinion, for the same position of Ruben you have in your club 1 player who can replace him, but probably will play this season for your B team, Rui Pires.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Was at this game tonight. Wolves were very good. Hull should be one of the stronger championship sides but they were outplayed for large parts of the game. Wolves are a strong candidate for promotion.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Enjoy...

If he doesn't have any injury this season might be good for him, always liked him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has anyone watched him much this year? How is he doing?

Lost his was a little at Porto, but was still a massive signing for Wolves. Still only 20, and Wolves are going well this year, top of the Championship. Perhaps not the worst idea for him to adapt to the English game, in what is probably the most competitive league in the world.

Can he step up to a big PL club?

stubie

Has anyone watched him much this year? How is he doing?

Lost his was a little at Porto, but was still a massive signing for Wolves. Still only 20, and Wolves are going well this year, top of the Championship. Perhaps not the worst idea for him to adapt to the English game, in what is probably the most competitive league in the world.

Can he step up to a big PL club?
The best midfielder in the Championship by a long distance. Will easy adapt to the PL with the quality he possesses.

I went to Wolves-Sunderland a couple of weeks back and he was the best player on the pitch with his range of passing. Reminds me of Scholes and Carrick how they could hit a 40 yard pass to feet.

Loublaze

ATLien
The best midfielder in the Championship by a long distance. Will easy adapt to the PL with the quality he possesses.

I went to Wolves-Sunderland a couple of weeks back and he was the best player on the pitch with his range of passing. Reminds me of Scholes and Carrick how they could hit a 40 yard pass to feet.
He's awesome on FIFA 18 too just got him up to 88

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Good to hear. He’s the type of midfielder we could do with, and the course he has taken will probably make him more ready more quickly.

stubie

Good to hear. He’s the type of midfielder we could do with, and the course he has taken will probably make him more ready more quickly.
18 months and he will be ready for the step up

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Not surprised he's well above championship level. What an absurd transfer. Still can't believe it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think it would be better for him to stay at Wolves more one season if they get promoted, other thing who might have facilitated his transition is the fact he is playing under a portuguese manager, with some other players from Portugal or ex Porto players, who made his adaptation to England more easy.

So it would be better for him at Premier League level to maintain one more season to this without the pressure of big transfers associated to him imo, if he keeps developing than why not see next season if he is ready to step up another level, after all he will be only 22 in 2019 :D

I always said since 2014 he was more talented than Sanches, also more inteligent without relying on the physicality of the game, so it is fair to say from the 2 he is the one who will make it, if he doesn't take wrong decisions or bad luck with injuries.