unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Congratulations to Ireland and their supporters. Joe Schmidt has done a tremendous job this year after two underwhelming post World Cup 6 nations tournaments. The test will come in the World Cup. Surely the 2019 World Cup will see the end of Ireland's quarter final curse.

The Irish won this match in the first half thanks to those three tries. I liked their positivity once time was up in the 1st half. The easy thing to do would have been to kick the ball out be happy with a 14-5 lead. Instead, they kept playing and were rewarded with a match winning lead. Whoever decided to extend the in goal areas should receive a letter of thanks from somebody involved with Irish rugby.

Twice in a row now it has taken England close to an hour to start playing well. Why that has happened is a mystery. It's a mystery Eddie Jones and his staff must solve otherwise their June series in South Africa will be much closer than they and most around the world would have expected 3-4 months ago.

The Wallabies will be under no illusions about the task that lay in front of them in June. If they're not at their best from start to finish in all three tests, they're going to experience a result similar to the one they suffered against England in June 2016.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I'm biased but the 2nd try from the Reds was beautifully worked. The try the Reds conceded was avoidable though.

After the Queensland Reds achieved three wins in a row for the first time since 2013 and a first overseas win since 2015, the following banner made its way in the change room paying homage to coach Brad Thorn.

Yes, it's only round 5. However, two more wins though will see the Reds win more games than they did in the whole of last season. The chap next to Brad Thorn, Angus Scott -Young, the son of former wallaby Sam Scott-Young, was in the crowd when the Reds beat a Crusaders team featuring Brad Thorn to become super rugby champions. A return to those heights is a long way off but if the improvements in set piece and on defense continue, this team and its coach will prove some doubters wrong.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Twice in a row now it has taken England close to an hour to start playing well. Why that has happened is a mystery. It's a mystery Eddie Jones and his staff must solve otherwise their June series in South Africa will be much closer than they and most around the world would have expected 3-4 months ago.
Eddie Jones said:
There is nothing that stands out that we massively need to fix. There are a number of things that are ongoing.
From that same article I posted above about him being booed.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0317/948272-jones-makes-light-of-being-booed-after-ireland-loss/

Personally, it seems to me they have a number of massive things to fix. Short on creativity, confidence and intensity at the moment and outplayed in the last three games.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
From that same article I posted above about him being booed.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0317/948272-jones-makes-light-of-being-booed-after-ireland-loss/

Personally, it seems to me they have a number of massive things to fix. Short on creativity, confidence and intensity at the moment and outplayed in the last three games.
I’ve read a few times now that EJ is a good manager for the short term (c 2yrs) but his methods end with him losing the dressing room.
Any thoughts on that?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I’ve read a few times now that EJ is a good manager for the short term (c 2yrs) but his methods end with him losing the dressing room.
Any thoughts on that?
He's certainly saying all the wrong things in public with nothing to back up what he says about the "progress" they're making.

diarm

Anyone following the Belgium - Spain story?

Spain went into their final World Cup (automatic) qualification match a few points behind Romania and knew if they beat the Belgians, they would be taking their spot in the same group as Japan, Ireland and Scotland in 2019.

Spain have been the form team at that level this year and were heavy favourites to qualify but Rugby Europe proceeded to appoint 3 Romanians as Referee and assistants to take charge of this crucial game, despite the fact Romania would obviously benefit from Spain losing.

Spain complained to Rugby Europe and requested the officials be replaced, as well as requesting a TMO for the match, but Rugby Europe (who's president just happens to be Romanians) refused.

Match went ahead and descended into absolute farce. Penalty count was 24-4 in Belgium's favour, the whistle was blown every few seconds for imaginary Spanish transgressions and there were two ridiculous yellow card decisions - one to send off a Spanish player and one stonewall card not shown to a Belgian.

Obviously the Spanish players went mental and a few were overzealous is confronting the ref after the game. I won't defend ot condone that but bloody hell, I can only imagine how angry I'd be in a similar situation.

Rugby Europe have responded by saying the officials were selected in advance and are beyond reproach, and also that Spain can still progress if they can beat Portugal and then the small matter of bloody Samoa!

Romania meanwhile have secured their place in Japan.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

Spain went into their final World Cup (automatic) qualification match a few points behind Romania and knew if they beat the Belgians, they would be taking their spot in the same group as Japan, Ireland and Scotland in 2019.

Spain have been the form team at that level this year and were heavy favourites to qualify but Rugby Europe proceeded to appoint 3 Romanians as Referee and assistants to take charge of this crucial game, despite the fact Romania would obviously benefit from Spain losing.
They should demand a re-match. There's no way that Romanians should have been anywhere near that game. If the rugby officials don't fix that then you'd have to say there's a rot.

diarm

They should demand a re-match. There's no way that Romanians should have been anywhere near that game. If the rugby officials don't fix that then you'd have to say there's a rot.
It's a terrible look for the sport. I don't understand why World Rugby can pull an assistant referee from a 6 Nations match because he attended a training but they don't takeover responsibility for matches which qualify teams for their flagship event.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Spain complained to Rugby Europe and requested the officials be replaced, as well as requesting a TMO for the match, but Rugby Europe (who's president just happens to be Romanians) refused.

Match went ahead and descended into absolute farce. Penalty count was 24-4 in Belgium's favour, the whistle was blown every few seconds for imaginary Spanish transgressions and there were two ridiculous yellow card decisions - one to send off a Spanish player and one stonewall card not shown to a Belgian.

Obviously the Spanish players went mental and a few were overzealous is confronting the ref after the game. I won't defend ot condone that but bloody hell, I can only imagine how angry I'd be in a similar situation.

Rugby Europe have responded by saying the officials were selected in advance and are beyond reproach, and also that Spain can still progress if they can beat Portugal and then the small matter of bloody Samoa!

Romania meanwhile have secured their place in Japan.
That's crazy, how on Earth did that situation not get sorted lol

Offsideagain

Congratulations to Ireland and Eddie Jones for lengthening the pitch:lol: The Irish team are made up mostly of Leinster and Munster players so they play a lot of games together. A fair number were on Lions duty and didn’t look tired which is an excuse used by some pundits on the lethargic England performances. Winning is a great mental booster. if the French had kicked that penalty in the last minute against Ireland, it would have been different but they didn’t so it is what it is.

If we were twelve months ahead and it finished like this, I would be worried about England but we have time Tom fix it. Don’t change the coach now, get an attacking coach in and wet nurse the players. Billy V and Man Utd will be back soon too.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Super Rugby folks, what do you know about this guy? Just signed for my team...
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018...-sign-ausse-centre-kyle-godwin-from-brumbies/
He's a good player but a player who might have realised he's fighting an uphill battle to add to his one test cap. I wouldn't say he'll end up world class more solid, reliable, dependable etc. He's a #12 in competition with Kurtley Beale, Reece Hodge, Samu Kerevi and now Christian Lealiifano for a Wallaby jumper.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
He's a good player but a player who might have realised he's fighting an uphill battle to add to his one test cap. I wouldn't say he'll end up world class more solid, reliable, dependable etc. He's a #12 in competition with Kurtley Beale, Reece Hodge, Samu Kerevi and now Christian Lealiifano for a Wallaby jumper.
Sounds good to me! As long as he acclimatises well. We've a few Aussies here already, hopefully that'll help.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Innnnnteresting. Some articles had suggested that Godwin could try 10. It's been a very, very difficult position to fill for Connacht. We've lost a couple of agonizing important matches too that should have been won if we had good 10.
Another prime example of this tonight. Carty had one of his good nights which make you think he's decent , as he can when he blows hot, then a woefully out of form Ronaldson came on and threw the game away. Fingers crossed there really aremember more signings on the way!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
SBW may not be fit for New Zealand's June series against France after it emerged he suffered a wrist injury during the Blues loss against the Stormers in Cape Town last weekend.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pretty exciting game in Argentina. The Jaguares inflict a first loss for the season on the Lions.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
For all the Irish supporters in this thread who have access to BT Sport, it's worth pointing out Simon Easterby will be on BT Sport's 'Rugby Tonight' program on Wednesday, March 28. The show starts at 8 pm English time. His Mrs is on the show too :).

@unchanged_lineup, @Rawls, @diarm @Minimalist @Tincanalley

Apologies if I've left out some regular Irish supporting members who post in this thread.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
For all the Irish supporters in this thread who have access to BT Sport, it's worth pointing out Simon Easterby will be on BT Sport's 'Rugby Tonight' program on Wednesday, March 28. The show starts at 8 pm English time. Hopefully his Mrs is on the show too.

@unchanged_lineup, @Rawls, @diarm @Minimalist @Tincanalley

Apologies if I've left out some regular Irish supporting members who post in this thread.
Cheers, chief.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
And if any of you Irish supporting chaps have twitter...