Rugby 2018 Discussion

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
beIN Sports AUS aren't showing Leinster Scarletts match live, they are showing a repeat of the match on Monday, which is shithouse. Celta Vigo vs Valencia takes priority it seems. The Racing vs Munster semi final is live though.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia has endured a horror weekend of super rugby. All four Aussie sides lost to overseas teams. The Lions beat the Waratahs 29-0, the Chiefs beat the Reds 36-12, the Bulls beat the Rebels 28-10 and the Jaguares beat the Brumbies 25-20.

Here are some stats that aren't pretty. The combined score of all four of those games is 118-42, average losing margin of 19 points. Aussie teams conceded 16 tries to 6 this weekend. The Lions, Chiefs and Bulls won with try scoring bonus points by scoring three or more tries than their opponent. Three of the four losses (Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies) came in Australia. The Tahs loss saw them kept scoreless for the first time in super rugby. It's also the first time the Lions have won in Sydney against the Waratahs. Finally, the stat that Aussie rugby is obsessed by: 35 consecutive wins for Kiwi teams in Trans Tasman super rugby matches.

Michael Cheika has a huge challenge coming up in June. Our teams look decent when playing other teams in the Aussie conference. Games against South African and Kiwi teams though are proving to be an issue; an issue that is sapping the confidence of those who'll line up against Ireland in June. Good luck Mr Cheika, you'll need it.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Commiserations Munster, noone could say ye didn't try but Racing's defence was superb. Does that performance upset the odds at all in relation to Leinster being the favourites?
I reckon Leinster are favourites but in a one off game you wouldn't want to write Racing off.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Bryan Habana, Isa Nacewa and Richardt Strauss will all retire at seasons end.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bryan Habana, Isa Nacewa and Richardt Strauss will all retire at seasons end.
What a magnificent player BH was, I loved watching him play. I remember a game between New Zealand and South Africa a few years ago, when SA needed to win to win the Rugby Championship and I think New Zealand only needed to draw. Hands down one of the best games I've ever seen, and in the first 20 mins NZ struggled to live with Habana. So much strength and pace on the wing it was frightening, it was such a shame to see him go off injured in that game. All the best in your retirement BH, what a player you were.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What a magnificent player BH was, I loved watching him play. I remember a game between New Zealand and South Africa a few years ago, when SA needed to win to win the Rugby Championship and I think New Zealand only needed to draw. Hands down one of the best games I've ever seen, and in the first 20 mins NZ struggled to live with Habana. So much strength and pace on the wing it was frightening, it was such a shame to see him go off injured in that game. All the best in your retirement BH, what a player you were.
I'm no rugby genius, but I'd say he was probably the best winger we have ever produced. Well, in my lifetime anyway. Still think he's by far and away our leading try scorer as well.

Was absolutely devastating during his peak.

Vault Dweller

I'm no rugby genius, but I'd say he was probably the best winger we have ever produced. Well, in my lifetime anyway. Still think he's by far and away our leading try scorer as well.

Was absolutely devastating during his peak.
He was amazing absolutely. He was also an absolute tackling machine too, hit anything that moved which made him a fantastic asset. Like I say that game against NZ sticks in my mind, he was awesome before he went off injured. And I think he is SA's record try scorer too, yeah.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was amazing absolutely. He was also an absolute tackling machine too, hit anything that moved which made him a fantastic asset. Like I say that game against NZ sticks in my mind, he was awesome before he went off injured. And I think he is SA's record try scorer too, yeah.
Not sure how accurate, but wiki has him at 66 tries, next 2 best being Joost and Jean dV at 33 or thereabout. So that's quite immense.

Vault Dweller

Not sure how accurate, but wiki has him at 66 tries, next 2 best being Joost and Jean dV at 33 or thereabout. So that's quite immense.
I think that's correct tbh, I'm sure I've heard his stats being reported similarly on Sky Sports or somewhere. Incredible feat, I also think he is second on the all time list for number of international tries, and also joint 1st for number of tries scored at World Cups. Those stats show the measure of him. What a player.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think that's correct tbh, I'm sure I've heard his stats being reported similarly on Sky Sports or somewhere. Incredible feat, I also think he is second on the all time list for number of international tries, and also joint 1st for number of tries scored at World Cups. Those stats show the measure of him. What a player.
Legend, indeed. Used to hate him playing for the Bulls, locally. Especially during his prime.

Then came down to us (Western Province) at the end, he was still good, but he was electric during his prime/Bulls years.

Vault Dweller

Legend, indeed. Used to hate him playing for the Bulls, locally. Especially during his prime.

Then came down to us (Western Province) at the end, he was still good, but he was electric during his prime/Bulls years.
Oh absolutely, he was a phenomenon for the Bulls. My Dad, brother and I always end up waking up early on a Saturday morning and watch the Super Rugby and one of the highlights for a long time was watching Habana in full flow. His pace and physicality made him so hard to stop, more often than not if he had half a yard of space he would score a try, even from half way.

I'm actually gutted for him that his career has ended the way it has, knee injury while playing for Toulon. He deserved better than that. So many players I grew up watching are all at that retirement age (or nearing it) the now and it's sad.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oh absolutely, he was a phenomenon for the Bulls. My Dad, brother and I always end up waking up early on a Saturday morning and watch the Super Rugby and one of the highlights for a long time was watching Habana in full flow. His pace and physicality made him so hard to stop, more often than not if he had half a yard of space he would score a try, even from half way.

I'm actually gutted for him that his career has ended the way it has, knee injury while playing for Toulon. He deserved better than that. So many players I grew up watching are all at that retirement age (or nearing it) the now and it's sad.
Hahaha great memories at least! Yeah, we're just getting old man, as much as I hate saying it! hahaha.

His acceleration was amazing. Like you said, half a yard and his gone. Or even no space - he'll just do a chip and kick in behind and boom....

Vault Dweller

Hahaha great memories at least! Yeah, we're just getting old man, as much as I hate saying it! hahaha.

His acceleration was amazing. Like you said, half a yard and his gone. Or even no space - he'll just do a chip and kick in behind and boom....
Haha yes we are man, unfortunately! :( All these young kids breaking through who are nearly 10 years younger than me, depressing!!

It was unbelievable, so so quick. Yeah you're right! I remember one try for SA that he kicked and chased and I was just in awe, like 'how the feck did he do that?? :eek:' I hope to see another player of his quality one day soon, him tearing through player down the flank was a sight to behold.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Haha yes we are man, unfortunately! :( All these young kids breaking through who are nearly 10 years younger than me, depressing!!

It was unbelievable, so so quick. Yeah you're right! I remember one try for SA that he kicked and chased and I was just in awe, like 'how the feck did he do that?? :eek:' I hope to see another player of his quality one day soon, him tearing through player down the flank was a sight to behold.
Absolutely. A player like him or Lomu wouldn't be too shabby either. Loved the way he just bulldozed his way through :lol: :drool: Ihaeoane (sp?) isn't half bad a finisher, yeah? And he's still quite young as well.

Vault Dweller

Lomu was a beast man :drool: that performance against England is one of the all time greats, poor Mike Catt :lol:

Oh aye, you mean Rieko Ioane for NZ? He is ridiculous and certainly has the promise to be a fantastic player.
Against the Home Nations last year and the Lions he was utterly frightening, he certainly could be the next NZ legend. If I remember correctly he wasn't even in the squad to face the Lions and after helping thump then with the Blues he was called up, insane rise to the first team lol.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The QLD Reds pulled off an upset beating the Lions 27-22 in Brisvegas. Great day to be a Reds fan. First win for Brad Thorn's young team after four straight losses. 4th win from 9 games this season, equalling last season's total after 15 games. The result means it's hard to see the Lions winning the super rugby title this year.

After that, the Jaguares first win in NZ was also their first win vs a Kiwi team.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Intriguing to see story that will be of interest to people who follow the Pro14 and or super rugby. The story goes that the Lions, Bulls, Sharks and Stormers are keen on joining the Pro14 and turning it into a Pro18. Ironically enough super rugby was an unworkable mess when the comp went to an 18 team format.

SANZAAR has denied that South Africa are looking at doing this. SANZAAR CEO, Andy Marinos, described these reports as ''simply wrong''.

The overwhelming sentiment here in Australia i think will be one of hope that SA teams go to Europe. The NZRU may have a different feeling. SA teams have been fairly competitive with Kiwi teams this year.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England's squad for their June series in South Africa has been announced. The series will be a bit closer than it appeared it would be at the end of 2017.

kidbob

Racing have been impressive in turning this into a dog fight. However has Barnes forgot his cards. 5 offsides and constant infringing to stop us playing rugby and not even a threat of a yellow.

kidbob

Phew! Terrible game but 2 great sides. Cancelled each other out overall. Hard luck to Racing.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Champions Cup final wasn't great but the worst thing that happened on the rugby field took place in New Zealand in the super rugby match between the Canterbury Crusaders and the New South Wales Waratahs.

The Tahs, who i wanted to lose, were leading 29-0, then proceeded to lose 31-29, thus extend Australia's winless run against Kiwi super rugby teams to 39 matches in a row. The officiating travesty i'll refer to doesn't excuse the Tahs. When you're 29-0 up and lose, you've got to look at yourselves before the officials.

However, if the officials did their job, the Crusaders would have had to try and retrieve a 29-0 deficit with just 14 on the field. However, the all Kiwi officiating crew, plus the Kiwi TV producer missed some blatant thuggery in the build up to the first try the Crusaders scored.

Joe Moody has received a two week ban. Two weeks for that seems rather light.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The Champions Cup final wasn't great but the worst thing that happened on the rugby field took place in New Zealand in the super rugby match between the Canterbury Crusaders and the New South Wales Waratahs.

The Tahs, who i wanted to lose, were leading 29-0, then proceeded to lose 31-29, thus extend Australia's winless run against Kiwi super rugby teams to 39 matches in a row. The officiating travesty i'll refer to doesn't excuse the Tahs. When you're 29-0 up and lose, you've got to look at yourselves before the officials.

However, if the officials did their job, the Crusaders would have had to try and retrieve a 29-0 deficit with just 14 on the field. However, the all Kiwi officiating crew, plus the Kiwi TV producer missed some blatant thuggery in the build up to the first try the Crusaders scored.

Joe Moody has received a two week ban. Two weeks for that seems rather light.
We absent-mindedly watching some of this while discussion how awful the final had been. That's a shocking miss by the officials, absolutely laughable.

acrebo

Aviva Premiership Final next Saturday, 26th May, will be between Exeter Chiefs and Saracens. A repeat of the 2016 final which saw Saracens lift the trophy.

Chiefs are current champions after beating Wasps last year, and both teams cruised through their semi-finals, so it’s set to be a brilliant encounter.

Can’t wait for next Saturday! The Twickenham atmosphere, so well-natured with so many supporters of different teams, is tough to beat.

C’mon Exe!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Aviva Premiership Final next Saturday, 26th May, will be between Exeter Chiefs and Saracens. A repeat of the 2016 final which saw Saracens lift the trophy.

Chiefs are current champions after beating Wasps last year, and both teams cruised through their semi-finals, so it’s set to be a brilliant encounter.

Can’t wait for next Saturday! The Twickenham atmosphere, so well-natured with so many supporters of different teams, is tough to beat.

C’mon Exe!
If the match is reflective of the home and away season, Exeter should win by 10-15 points.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

Ireland have named their squad for the forthcoming tests against the Wallabies. Two uncapped players in the squad, namely Tadhg Beirne and Ross Byrne. Somewhat surprised that Sam Arnold has been left out of the squad.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pissed off about the QLD Reds loss to the Highlanders. Now this shit from world rugby ahead of U20 World Championship:

If this law is implemented at the top level, we might as well start playing touch rugby. I'm a bit disenchanted with what laws world rugby are looking at implementing. I still have misgivings about the ruck law that was brought in because of England's ineptitude in their 6 nations match vs Italy in 2017.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Saracens defeated Exeter 27-10 in the AVIVA Premiership Final. Exeter beat Saracens twice in the home and away season and finished 8 points clear of Sarries but couldn't get going on the day that mattered. They had near enough to 100% possession for the first 10 minutes but couldn't make it count. Sarries scored with their 1st spell of possession and appeared comfortable from that point on until Schalk Britz was sin binned. When he came back, the score was 19-10. Sarries gave up 7 points while he was in the bin and they cruised home from there.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia's squad to face Ireland has been announced. Hopefully the Wallabies fare better in this series than they did the last time 6 nations and grand slam winners came down under.

Can't fathom how powder puff Hanigan was picked on form. As it is, he's injured and will be back for 2nd test at the earliest I'd say. Rory Arnold won't play in the 1st test due to suspension.

Last edited: