Rugby 2018 Discussion

diarm

Joey Carberry signs for Munster.

Really happy with our business this summer. I'd say we're done now save for maybe Keatley or Hanrahan leaving.

Beirne to the second row, Botha as backrow cover, Carberry to 10 and Mike Haley in to replace Zebo leaves us looking very strong. Obviously we still don't have the depth that Leinster do but if we can have a bit more luck with injuries next year, perhaps we can improve on the semi final losses of the last couple of years.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Really happy with our business this summer. I'd say we're done now save for maybe Keatley or Hanrahan leaving.

Beirne to the second row, Botha as backrow cover, Carberry to 10 and Mike Haley in to replace Zebo leaves us looking very strong. Obviously we still don't have the depth that Leinster do but if we can have a bit more luck with injuries next year, perhaps we can improve on the semi final losses of the last couple of years.
Could Connacht get a loan of a 10 please? :D

diarm

Could Connacht get a loan of a 10 please? :D
If Keatley goes to Ulster as expected, I wouldn't be against Hanrahan going to Connacht so long as Bleyendaal is ok.

It's rumoured that his injury may be career ending though and if that is the case, Carberry and Johnston would be a little bit light at 10 for us.

Now Scannell can do a job there with Taute coming in at 12 so it's not out of the question. JJ needs games and lots of them to flourish and he's just not going to get them here.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Rory Best is out of Ireland's tour of Australia after suffering a hamstring injury. Unfortunate for him but who's going to be Ireland's captain?

RORY65

Rory Best is out of Ireland's tour of Australia after suffering a hamstring injury. Unfortunate for him but who's going to be Ireland's captain?
Likely to be between Sexton and O'Mahoney, depending how Schmidt utilises his squad throughout the tour (he will want to try Carberry and Byrne at 10 at some stage and may want to test one of Beirne or Henderson at 6).

With regards to Carbery moving to Munster, even as a Leinster fan I've accepted since Schmidt and Nucifora met with Cullen on the week of the semi-final that one of the younger out half's was going to go and always expected it to be Carbery (despite him looking like the one with the higher ceiling in terms of his potential) but it's annoying that it's not Ulster.

It made sense that they needed a 10 given the Jackson and Olding situation plus that gave more hope that he might return to Leinster in time. He won't come back now but it's frustrating that Munster, a side who play in a way that won't suit him as a 10, are being helped out because they weren't able to get a tune out of the Irish qualified 10s that they already have. I wish him well though, he's a cracking talent who has been put in a very difficult position and if he ends up progressing at Munster and being a more reliable back up for Ireland then I guess it will have worked out.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Likely to be between Sexton and O'Mahoney, depending how Schmidt utilises his squad throughout the tour (he will want to try Carberry and Byrne at 10 at some stage and may want to test one of Beirne or Henderson at 6).
Yeah exactly this, they've been named as "double" captains or something like that.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
If Keatley goes to Ulster as expected, I wouldn't be against Hanrahan going to Connacht so long as Bleyendaal is ok.

It's rumoured that his injury may be career ending though and if that is the case, Carberry and Johnston would be a little bit light at 10 for us.

Now Scannell can do a job there with Taute coming in at 12 so it's not out of the question. JJ needs games and lots of them to flourish and he's just not going to get them here.
We've already picked up one 10 (Horwitz) and it'll be interesting to see if the new coach sees Carty as a candidate for success. He had his moments last season but regressed with his kicking under Keane (as, bizarrely, did Ronaldson who seemed to lose all confidence kicking, even out of hand). Hanrahan would probably get a good go here.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A quote from Warren Gatland about ball in play time that will interest the Wallabies: “We looked at the stats over the years when we have played Ireland and anything over 44 minutes, we have won the games, and anything 37 minutes or below, they have won the games.”

Scotland's win over Ireland at Murrayfield in 2017 featured 43 minutes of ball in play time and Wales win over Ireland had 46 minutes of ball in play time.

The Wallabies will hope to play an up tempo, ball in hand style as is their want under Michael Cheika.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
A quote from Warren Gatland about ball in play time that will interest the Wallabies: “We looked at the stats over the years when we have played Ireland and anything over 44 minutes, we have won the games, and anything 37 minutes or below, they have won the games.”

Scotland's win over Ireland at Murrayfield in 2017 featured 43 minutes of ball in play time and Wales win over Ireland had 46 minutes of ball in play time.

The Wallabies will hope to play an up tempo, ball in hand style as is their want under Michael Cheika.
I wonder how that stacks up this season though. Ireland were superb in this year's 6N retaining possession when it mattered, and Schmidt has had them working on longer and longer periods of play to practice holding out for wins (this started with the 2013 NZ loss). Wish I could find the article about this, I reckon it was on the42.ie or The Journal.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

Working closely with Murray in a very good set up like Munster can only improve Carberry. I was a bit miffed with Leinster in their use of Byrne ahead of Carberry as Carberry has the greater potential talent but has been a bit unlucky with injuries and game time. A good run with an excellent scrum half like Murray can only make him better imho

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

That probably works when we have/had a smaller pool of very good players to choose from but I think both Schmidt and the provinces have been blooding lots of young lads and improved the squad greatly. I think that was definitely seen in this years 6 nations and will hopefully bring good results in the world cup.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Been a shit week and a half really. Real Madrid won the Champions League, the New South Wales Waratahs beat the Queensland Reds on Saturday night in super rugby and to top it off, New South Wales beat Queensland in the 1st game of the rugby league State Of Origin series. A Wallabies win on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium, the 8th wonder of the world, would be a nice change of fortune.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Schmidt takes a risk and throws in Carbery at 10 and a new front row.
http://www.the42.ie/schmidt-carbery-omahony-sexton-ireland-4057084-Jun2018/

Ireland:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Joey Carbery
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. John Ryan
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
7. Jordi Murphy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Quinn Roux
20. Jack Conan
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Johnny Sexton
23. Jordan Larmour

Ringrose and Leavy don't even make the squad.

diarm

Think he's given a rest to some of the prominent Leinster players who played in both finals recently and have played a lot of rugby since last years Lions tour. Would expect Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Leavy, Sexton and Ringrose all to start the next test, possibly some of with Porter, Beirne, Ruddock, Conan, Marmion, Larmour and Conway all playing some part as well.

Joe is clearly looking to give serious game time to the depth and combinations he has been building. It's a great time to do it for me - so much better to see how Murray and Carberry can play together in a difficult tour of Australia, rather than waiting until forced by injuries in a world cup quarter final like last time.

Looking forward to seeing how the front row get on. I haven't been convinced by Herring but Joe seems to really rate him and with Australia having their own issues at hooker, this is a great opportunity for him to impress. John Ryan needs a big performance with Porter looking like he's overtaken him as Irelands second choice tighthead this year.

The bench is outrageous. If we're within 10 points with 20 minutes to go, that front row along with Sexton and Larmour could come on and wreak havoc.

I haven't been looking forward to a summer tour this much in years. There's an element of unknown both with ourselves, and the combinations we are trying, but even more so with the Australians and what sort of sides they're going to field and how they'll click.

I reckon we're going to surprise their fans (if not their team) a bit with the brand of rugby we'll play. You can see from the articles written, they're very much expecting a forwards driven, kick heavy and attritional game plan but over the last 18 months we've expanded our style a lot and will look to attack them in a variety of areas. Obviously Oz are one of the most difficult sides to defend against in world rugby so we're in for a treat I'd say.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia's team to take on Ireland contains three debutants - Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Caleb Timu and Pete Samu. David Pocock plays his 1st test for close to 18 months after sitting last year on a sabbatical. The Hooper/Pocock dual open-side combination worked well in the 2015 World Cup. It didn't work as well in 2016. We'll see how it goes this weekend. Australia hasn't lost to Ireland in Australia since 1979, I'm hoping that record is maintained. A back line capable of scoring tries has been picked, the key will be how much good ball they get.

Wallabies team to play Ireland – Game 1

1. Scott Sio
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Izack Rodda
5. Adam Coleman
6. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper (c)
8. Caleb Timu
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Dane Haylett-Petty
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Marika Koroibete
15. Israel Folau

Reserves
16. Tolu Latu
17. Allan Alaalatoa
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Rob Simmons
20. Lukhan Tui
21. Pete Samu
22. Nick Phipps
23. Reece Hodge

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa's team to play England at Ellis Park on Saturday has been named. Aphiwe Dyantyi, RG Snyman and S’busiso Nkosi will all make their debut. Siya Kolisi becomes South Africa's 1st ever black captain.

15. Willie le Roux (Wasps, England)
14 S’busiso Nkosi (Cell C Sharks)
13. Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks)
12. Damian de Allende (DHL Stormers)
11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (Emirates Lions)
10. Handré Pollard (Vodacom Bulls)
9. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England)
8. Duane Vermeulen (Unattached)
7. Jean-Luc du Preez (Cell C Sharks)
6. Siya Kolisi captain (DHL Stormers)
5. Franco Mostert (Emirates Lions)
4. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls)
3. Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls / Wilco Louw (DHL Stormers) Nyakane is a doubt due to a rib injury.
2. Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers)
1. Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks)

Replacements:
16. Akker van der Merwe (Cell C Sharks)
17. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers)
18. Wilco Louw (DHL Stormers / Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks) Louw starts if Nyakane is ruled out, Du Toit would take Louw's place on the bench
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers)
20. Sikhumbuzo Notshe (DHL Stormers)
21. Ivan van Zyl (Vodacom Bulls)
22. Elton Jantjies (Emirates Lions)
23. Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Bulls)

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Aussie sporting media makes me laugh from time to time. Today, a journo who really ought to know better wrote an article saying Bernard Foley, Johnny Sexton and Marius Van Der Westhuizen hold the key to test in Brisbane. The only problem is that Johnny Sexton may only get 20 minutes or so of playing time pending the form and fitness of Joey Carbery.

We did get a bit of rain in Brisbane this afternoon. However, the expectation is for cloudy weather tomorrow. If it does rain, we won't see a deluge. Suncorp Stadium drains well in any case.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Shame about that yellow card in the AB - France match. The All Blacks were getting the upper hand anyway, but the match is probably beyond France now. Ref should have referred it upstairs.

Horrific headclash there by two ABs on a French lad, all three clashed heads :( No yellow card for them either even though they were high.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Shame about that yellow card in the AB - France match. The All Blacks were getting the upper hand anyway, but the match is probably beyond France now. Ref should have referred it upstairs.

Horrific headclash there by two ABs on a French lad, all three clashed heads :( No yellow card for them either even though they were high.
Some refs do shit the bed at Eden Park. All Blacks were always going to win but that blunder broke the French. New Zealand wouldn't have buckled after that decision the way the French did.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Close call there. Nearly a great try for Stander. Echoes of Radike Samo's try at Suncorp against NZ in 2011.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pete Samu's 1st involvement in a Wallaby jumper is to win a penalty at the breakdown. Good work, Pete. You and are Pocock showing Hooper how to do it.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Sexton's getting great mileage out of carrying, I would have liked to see Carbery do that early on in the match. He was always moving laterally with his eyes on the next receiver, he needed to run a few times to keep the defence guessing.

Marmion try. Oh well.

kidbob

Very good game overall. Impressed with Aus. Should be a great series. Fancy us to win the next 2 games.

Edit: did anyone see the knock on?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good win for Australia. Hopefully they can show some consistency and play well enough to win next week. Sexton surely starts next week.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Very good game overall. Impressed with Aus. Should be a great series. Fancy us to win the next 2 games.

Edit: did anyone see the knock on?
The TMO did. He must see some different angles to the rest of us.