Rugby 2018 Discussion

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really tough on the French, they deserved to win.
Not really, Ireland dominated the entire game. France showed great character but that's not enough to deserve to win.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
A great finish but we should never have been in that position, let's be fair. I can't see us beating the English or Welsh after that.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What a fecking kick from Sexton! From 42 yards after 40 phases of play. Ireland were down and out and he brought them back. Was flicking between this and Arse massacre of Toffees. Terrible ref in the rugby match. Good try by France. Ireland deserved it just, but that kick .... wow.

freeurmind

weak willed
Not really, Ireland dominated the entire game. France showed great character but that's not enough to deserve to win.
Ireland are far too in love with the tactical kicking game and working off set-pieces. Every time they went through the phases they put France under pressure. Ireland's backrow also didn't do a good job at the breakdown. France were defensive but defended well and bided their time to try and win it at the end. Ireland are a much better side and should have won this with a bonus point but France had a good game plan and nearly pulled it off. If Ireland play like this all tournament long, England should get the Grand Slam.

Mitser

A great finish but we should never have been in that position, let's be fair. I can't see us beating the English or Welsh after that.
You can’t see Ireland beating Wales in Dublin??
Wow, that’s seems extremely reactionary.

Zen

Went to the Mill...Principality today. Scotland were absolutely shocking to say the least. Out of all the games I've watched live(none of which Wales have lost) - that was the worst opposition performance I've seen, to be fair I do avoid the Italy games.

But still, Wales a bit banged up, Scotland with high hopes....I would of been happy to leave at half time really. Just an absolute damp squid of a match.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really well worked try. Could get messy.

ivaldo

Ben Youngs' is done. That looked nasty.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England could put 50+ on Italy here. Bonus point win on the way for Ireland next weekend.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
BBC actually published this on their matchtracker... :O

Get Involved

#bbcsixnations on text on 81111

Max Kurn: Eddie Jones HAS to be considering [Wasps scrum-half] Dan Robson for the squad now

Andrew Savill: Youngs going off for HIA

ivaldo

That's better. Great hands from Mako in the lead up.

England’s depth of players is really something at the moment.

Obviosuly helps new players to come into a successful, winning side

Zen

Let it be close - then run off at the end, the amount of times NZ did that to England....and well everyone else who ever thought they were kinda close.

Agreed on the depth front too.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I got into rugby a little last summer, and watched some classic games. Enjoyed them a lot. It's hard to find sources to watch/download most games though. Have there been any great matches lately? :)

JPRouve

Scout
I got into rugby a little last summer, and watched some classic games. Enjoyed them a lot. It's hard to find sources to watch/download most games though. Have there been any great matches lately? :)
Champions Cup games are generally good if you avoid italian teams.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Champions Cup games are generally good if you avoid italian teams.
While i find the Super Rugby vs Champions Cup comparisons somewhat flawed, I'm enjoying the Champions Cup more than Super Rugby.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
After the first round, I imagine Jones won't be able to say they're not the favourites anymore... Grand Slam favourites even. From Ireland's point of view, I'm hoping that teak-tough finish will stand them in good stead mentally, but they'll have to improve to win a championship. Biggest shock was Scotland getting utterly smashed - I don't keep up with Scottish rugby bar when Irish teams play them in Pro14, but all the papers had been making out they were dark horses after the November internationals and that Wales were in a trough. Apparently Gatland didn't though:

He perfected a nonchalant air in the post-match press conference and claimed that, simply from seeing his men train, he expected a comfortable afternoon. “I told the [WRU chief executive Martin Phillips] on Friday that I thought we’d win by 20,” Gatland said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...d-7-clinical-hosts-see-sloppy-scotland-bonus/

JPRouve

Scout
After the first round, I imagine Jones won't be able to say they're not the favourites anymore... Grand Slam favourites even. From Ireland's point of view, I'm hoping that teak-tough finish will stand them in good stead mentally, but they'll have to improve to win a championship. Biggest shock was Scotland getting utterly smashed - I don't keep up with Scottish rugby bar when Irish teams play them in Pro14, but all the papers had been making out they were dark horses after the November internationals and that Wales were in a trough. Apparently Gatland didn't though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...d-7-clinical-hosts-see-sloppy-scotland-bonus/
If you look at Glasgow, they are good but not that good, the press overrate them a little bit because they play a lot which isn't all that common in NH. Something that people should take into account when judging them is that the Chiefs, Dave Rennie previous team, was at its best a very good defensive unit with incredible counter attacking abilities, Glasgow and Scotland aren't close to that level yet.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Sounds knee jerk but maybe too much was made of Scotland performances in the November tests last year. Yes they ran New Zealand close but they weren't the only team to do that. Their flogging of Australia looked impressive on the scoreboard but maybe the red card factor was lost amidst the euphoria. Wales were excellent and are always a tough team to beat in Cardiff. France this weekend won't be easy for Scotland provided France's defense is excellent again as it was against Ireland.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

Josh van der Flier out for the rest of the season; bigger loss for Leinster than Ireland, although Leinster do have great depth in the back-row. VDF's injury likely opens the door for Dan Leavy, who IMO is the better player out of the two. I'd allow that the reason why VDF was starting ahead of Leavy against France was to provide a more balanced back-row; Stander and O'Mahony are more similar to Leavy in playing style than van der Flier. On that note, maybe we see Jack Conan come into the line-up at No. 8 in place of Stander; POM, Leavy, Conan is more balanced on paper than POM, Leavy, Stander.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Frances's injury report states that Antoine Dumont, who went off for a HIA, suffered a season ending knee injury.