g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby 2018 Discussion

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is it a surprise this is close? If so, is it Scotland being good or France being bad? Does anybody know enough about Union to answer this? What day do I need to put the recycling out?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is it a surprise this is close? If so, is it Scotland being good or France being bad? Does anybody know enough about Union to answer this? What day do I need to put the recycling out?
It's not really a surprise. France are currently not good and Scotland are in form at the exception of last week.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah France are monsters physically but really lack creativity with ball in hand.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018...ayers-quizzed-by-police-over-incident-at-bar/

Police have questioned French rugby players in connection with a report of a sexual assault.

Police Scotland said they spoke to a number of potential witnesses at Edinburgh Airport and "established that no crime has been committed".

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "Following an initial report of sexual assault in Edinburgh city centre during the early hours of Monday 12th February, police conducted various lines of inquiry, including speaking to a number of potential witnesses.

"These inquiries have established that no crime has been committed."

The police report was made following the French team's defeat by Scotland in the Six Nations on Sunday.

The plane carrying the players was grounded while police inquiries were carried out.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Robbie Henshaw's 6N is over for this year. Ringrose to return?
IIRC, Schmidt said that the Wales game will probably come too soon for Ringrose. The most likely scenario is Chris Farrell coming in directly for Henshaw at No. 13. Another option, albeit less likely, would involve Rory Scannell coming in at Inside Centre, with Aki moving to Outside Centre.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Underhill's tackle was the best I've ever seen. Won the game for the Roses.

Pfft, not a patch on this match winning try saving tackle below from George Gregan. Fitting too that there's a missed tackle by Campo. Wonderful player, one of Bill McLaren's favourites but the man couldn't tackle.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I thought the attacking fecked it up tbh - made it a lot easier than it should have been. Still a great tackle though.

I thought the attacking fecked it up tbh - made it a lot easier than it should have been. Still a great tackle though.
I thought he got unlucky, did the right thing sliding early but it’s almost like it wasn’t wet enough and he sort of got stuck in the ground rather then sliding on

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
After Australia beat New Zealand in a twenty over match at Eden Park, the following tweet sums it all up in terms of what's coming in Trans Tasman sport.

Nikhil

The last union World Cup was a spectacular disaster for England. They've won the last two Six Nations tourneys but getting knocked out of the last World Cup at the group stages at home was awful. They have improved massively under Jones so there's that.

It would be nice to see England or the Springboks win the next World Cup.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/20/rod-macqueen-concerned-by-new-rugby-union-laws/

What are people's thoughts on the comments in the above article by Rod Macqueen?

I think England's 'what constitutes a ruck'? ineptitude against Italy in last year's 6 nations has led to some law changes that were completely unnecessary.
The article kinda lost me when it said "recent Six Nations match between Ireland and Wales"...

*ahem* France *ahem*...

Is he really complaining about 41 phases? What does he want, stop-go-stop rugby? Murray Kinsella's article on thejournal.ie illustrated how highly contested almost every ruck was during that sequence. It was titanic.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-41-phase-ireland-sexton-drop-goal-3832894-Feb2018/

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The article kinda lost me when it said "recent Six Nations match between Ireland and Wales"...

*ahem* France *ahem*...

Is he really complaining about 41 phases? What does he want, stop-go-stop rugby?

*ahem* France *ahem*...

Is he really complaining about 41 phases? What does he want, stop-go-stop rugby? Murray Kinsella's article on thejournal.ie illustrated how highly contested almost every ruck was during that sequence. It was titanic.
What the concern is for some is some new breakdown laws leading to a lack of contest for possession. The complaining about 41 phases might be an overreaction of sorts. However, in the Sale vs Saracens game last weekend, Sale didn't bother contesting at the breakdown as Saracens racked up 32 phases, and i was feeling like i was watching a game of rugby league with unlimited tackles judging by the lack of contest for possession which doesn't feel right. With the old breakdown laws, I'm sure Sale would have contested the breakdown more.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The last union World Cup was a spectacular disaster for England. They've won the last two Six Nations tourneys but getting knocked out of the last World Cup at the group stages at home was awful. They have improved massively under Jones so there's that.

It would be nice to see England or the Springboks win the next World Cup.
Australia vs England would be nice as long as Australia win.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This Friday, Super Rugby kicks off for the 4 Australian teams, 5 New Zealand teams and the team from Japan. The Stormers, Jaguares, Lions and Sharks got the comp up and running last weekend in games that saw close wins for the Stormers and the Lions. The Stormers beat the Jaguares 28-20 at Newlands while the Lions beat the Sharks 26-19 at Ellis Park.

It's a massive year ahead for Aussie teams this year. Last year contained 46 games against overseas teams for 6 wins, one draw and 39 losses. It was the definition of unacceptable and improvement must come. The Waratahs get first crack at beating an overseas team when they face the Stormers on Saturday. The Tahs have been talked up as they generally almost always are here.

My hope is that the Reds will improve under the tutelage of Brad Thorn. Thorn coached the QLD under 20's team to two unbeaten seasons winning 2 super u 20 titles and an NRC title with QLD Country but coaching a Super rugby team is big step up. No Quade Cooper this year in Reds colours which has caused debate as you'd expect. It's certainly a decision that will define Thorn's reign for better or for worse. I'm big bad Brad on this but it could end up leading with him having egg on his face.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
What the concern is for some is some new breakdown laws leading to a lack of contest for possession. The complaining about 41 phases might be an overreaction of sorts. However, in the Sale vs Saracens game last weekend, Sale didn't bother contesting at the breakdown as Saracens racked up 32 phases, and i was feeling like i was watching a game of rugby league with unlimited tackles judging by the lack of contest for possession which doesn't feel right. With the old breakdown laws, I'm sure Sale would have contested the breakdown more.
Fair enough. I've only been watching 6N and Pro 14 lately and there still seems to be plenty of contesting at rucks there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As far as I can remember it has never been allowed to play a contested ball when you are not on your feet, this might sound like a tangent but that's the crux of the problem. For many years players have basically cheated and referees were okay with it, the new set of laws are meant to make that aspect of the rule unavoidable, since players can't behave they are now put in a position where they have to move their proverbial asses away from the ground in all circumstances, especially on breakdowns.

Also you can thank Richie McCaw he is one of the poster boys of the "I play the ball on the ground while pretending that I'm not" which prompted an emphasis on breakdowns cleaning.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Wales have named their team to play Ireland on Saturday at the Aviva Stadium.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
France to beat Italy, Ireland will beat Wales and i think England will keep Scotland at arms length to retain the Calcutta Cup again. Before a ball was kicked in this year's tournament, i had a feeling Scotland might beat England but i don't see that happening now.

freeurmind

weak willed
Super Rugby got underway last week in SA. 2 good wins for the Stormers and the Lions though both looked a bit shaky. Usual discipline problems for the Jaguares who play some fantastic stuff at times. Sharks looked decent as well, hopefully they are more competitive this year than they have been on recent years.

Cheetahs have been decent in the Pro 14 so far. Think that move is going to be really beneficial to them and SA rugby in years to come. Think Argentina should consider getting a franchise in one of the European competitions.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Super Rugby got underway last week in SA. 2 good wins for the Stormers and the Lions though both looked a bit shaky. Usual discipline problems for the Jaguares who play some fantastic stuff at times. Sharks looked decent as well, hopefully they are more competitive this year than they have been on recent years.

Cheetahs have been decent in the Pro 14 so far. Think that move is going to be really beneficial to them and SA rugby in years to come. Think Argentina should consider getting a franchise in one of the European competitions.
Have the Cheetahs crowds improved at all?

freeurmind

weak willed
Have the Cheetahs crowds improved at all?
Wasn't great for the Kings game, well actually it wasn't as bad as it could have been. They'll probably be in that 4-7K range, maybe more if they keep playing well. Always looks worse in those big stadiums, Toyota Park seats over 40K

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Highlanders beat the Blues 41-34 in an entertaining game in Dunedin.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Rebels 45 Reds 19. Brad Thorn's super rugby coaching debut didn't go according to plan to put it mildly. Scott Higginbotham was red carded 10 minutes into the match. Players who earn red cards for contact to the head now are pretty dumb with the guidelines that came in last year in mind. Surprised the commentators wanted yellow when it looked like a clear enough red.

rednotled

Feckin Wales. I've all manner of foreboding for this one.
Really?

As a welshie I'm not confident on this one, you have an all round game with few weaknesses.

Just gone and checked last few meeting between us and I can see why you'd be a little bit worried.
1 win in last 5 games.

Still think its Irelands game - losing bonus point for Wales

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Really?

As a welshie I'm not confident on this one, you have an all round game with few weaknesses.

Just gone and checked last few meeting between us and I can see why you'd be a little bit worried.
1 win in last 5 games.

Still think its Irelands game - losing bonus point for Wales
Yup, 4 in a row on the cards. That's the concern for us. I see people complaining though about Biggar getting straight back in?

rednotled

Yup, 4 in a row on the cards. That's the concern for us. I see people complaining though about Biggar getting straight back in?
Yup - it's against the stated policy of playing "open rugby" or something.

Biggar is a quality player who targets the rip when tackling and is adept at chasing/catching high balls.
And his goal kicking is an option if Halfpenny is subb'd
Horses for courses maybe?

Also Patchell getting wum'd by Eddie Jones and then not shining probably didn't help.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yup - it's against the stated policy of playing "open rugby" or something.

Biggar is a quality player who targets the rip when tackling and is adept at chasing/catching high balls.
And his goal kicking is an option if Halfpenny is subb'd
Horses for courses maybe?

Also Patchell getting wum'd by Eddie Jones and then not shining probably didn't help.
Your u20s are smashing Ireland right now. I think we'd just be wary over here of two of your big guns coming back into the team.

rednotled

Your u20s are smashing Ireland right now. I think we'd just be wary over here of two of your big guns coming back into the team.
Feels like it's going to be a close game. Given home advantage...
Still I get where you're coming from.

I hadn't realised the u20's were on tv. Cheers for that I think I'll watch it for a bit :)