Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah! I'm so happy!

Kudos to the Pumas, they'll grow. They always were physical but nowadays they can play and very well.
The Argentine Super Rugby team will help improve them even more. They should be even better at the next WC.

mufcwarm92

Shame for the Northern Hemisphere but on the plus side, no more mouthy Irishmen and Welshmen - always a positive.

justboy68

Wales are the only Northern Hemisphere team able to come out of this world cup with their heads held high really. Even they came up short but gave Aus and SA proper games.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wales are the only Northern Hemisphere team able to come out of this world cup with their heads held high really. Even they came up short but gave Aus and SA proper games.
They have been the only top national side from the north hemisphere in the last 6-7 years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Scotland?

Anyway, Ireland should have performed better today but if you'd told me at the start of the tournament that we'd be without Sexton, O'Connell, O'Mahony, O'Brien and Payne in the semis I'd have thought we'd be knocked out. Hardly a shocking result.

justboy68

Scotland?

Anyway, Ireland should have performed better today but if you'd told me at the start of the tournament that we'd be without Sexton, O'Connell, O'Mahony, O'Brien and Payne in the semis I'd have thought we'd be knocked out. Hardly a shocking result.
For Scotland's expectations you're probably right. Mainly thinking about England, France, Ireland really. Ireland less so but still should be disappointed with this game imo.

diarm

Gutted after that. Outfought and outthought by a much better outfit on the day.

It's good for rugby that the coach who picked the talented, exciting rugby players and gave them a licence to play, overcame the coach who picks the slow, conservative but dependable players and stifles any creativity. Unfortunately for Schmidt, the conservative picks ended up being the ones who missed all the tackles anyway.

The Argies ruthlessly exploited both Kearneys all day. Dave for his lack of pace and Rob for his lack of tackling ability. Didn't really matter though when as we suspected, a backrow containing both Murphy and Heaslip lacked the dog and power against a hungrier and more aggressive Argentina. At this level, you can't expect to bring intensity for half an hour in the middle of a game and coast by the rest of the time.

Good luck to the Puma's for the rest of the tournament. I'll be cheering them all the way.

Stringer

They have been the only top national side from the north hemisphere in the last 6-7 years.
Ummm what? Ireland and England have had more success against the SH teams than Wales. That doesn't really say much but still.

JPRouve

Scout
Ummm what? Ireland and England have had more success against the SH teams than Wales. That doesn't really say much but still.
They were still shit and to be honest we are all a bit shit.

Edit: The last time England impressed me, Dallaglio was still playing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
South Africa beat Argentina away from home in their last game between the two.
Hardly makes them the better team does it? South Africa have been worse all year and worse in this tournament as far as I can see.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Same old Ireland story since WC 2003. Before that we were just happy to get to the Q/Fs(didn't make it in 99) and that was about all that was expected.

We tend to hype up our players to crazy levels. The media makes us out to be world beaters and rarely talks about the obvious gap that exists between the six nations and the best southern teams.

Sure we can go on about injuries but we were at full strength V Italy and only beat them by 6 points.

Keenst

If we didn't have the injuries I reckon we would have won that game. Madigan's missed kick to level it 20 a piece was the turning point I think. Depressing but when you consider everything, not surprising result, maybe the margin of victory was however.

Stringer

South Africa beat Argentina away from home in their last game between the two.
And Argentina did the reverse two weeks before. They have also looked a lot better throughout this tournament.

Tyrion

We dropped our level in the first and last 20 and Argentina played an expansive game like we never have and nailed us for it. Even when we had the upper hand, we never hurt them like they did us. We put them under pressure but they just played through us.

The injuries played a key part but I don't think I've ever seen Ireland play like Argentina did. Matt Williams made a great comment after it. This really puts that whole crap about Polynesian gemetics to bed. If Argentina can do it, we should already be doing it. All the provinces need to play an expansive game and the national team does too. We can't just say "Oh well, if we had Paul O' Connell...". We have to ask "how can we improve"? Hopefully Schmidt lays the foundations for it in the next 2 years.

IFC 1905

Playing the four nations is the best thing that happened to Argentinean rugby. To play against those monsters every year gave us a big impulse.

Rugby in Argentina is still an amateur sport. It's time to make it professional.

JPRouve

Scout
Playing the four nations is the best thing that happened to Argentinean rugby. To play against those monsters every year gave us a big impulse.

Rugby in Argentina is still an amateur sport. It's time to make it professional.
I can't wait for the Super Rugby to start, the Argentinian team is intriguing.

JPRouve

Scout
First try in 9 years for Scotland against Australia?

Sylar

Scotland lead by 8. Never thought it would happen tbh. Really good start (well response).