Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

air_mood

:lol:..to be fair, he will not be the only 15 star there..Even Habana wanted to play in the 7's world cup if I recall..everyone will want a piece of Rio. Its not fair to the guys that have played sevens all the careers, but life aint fair.
Quite a few players in the All Blacks fringes opted for the 7s team. SBW, Liam Messam, Ardie Savea, the Ioane brothers. Singapore gets a leg of the Sevens series this time around so guess I'm going to fly down there to watch then.

Its like the year Cannavaro was world player of the year after winning the world cup. World cup perfomances tend to stick a lot in people's minds.

Also the Bulls were quite poor in Super rugby this year, and SA lost every game in the Rugby Championship. So that will have counted against him.
Well, the Georgian scrum half got nominated, doubt he had loads of success going on for him but yeah, it's probably like the Cannavaro year or Bald Ronaldo circa 2002.

Didn't SA win one of the games against Argentina? I know they lost one, just couldn't remember whether it was in SA or Argentina.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Quite a few players in the All Blacks fringes opted for the 7s team. SBW, Liam Messam, Ardie Savea, the Ioane brothers. Singapore gets a leg of the Sevens series this time around so guess I'm going to fly down there to watch then.

Well, the Georgian scrum half got nominated, doubt he had loads of success going on for him but yeah, it's probably like the Cannavaro year or Bald Ronaldo circa 2002.

Didn't SA win one of the games against Argentina? I know they lost one, just couldn't remember whether it was in SA or Argentina.

Argentina beat SA easily in Durban this year. Springboks beat them a week later in Argentina.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Everyone wants a piece of the Olympics. Even Messi has an olympic medal.

The SA win against Argentina wasnt in the rugby championship. It was a week after the tournament ended.

air_mood

Everyone wants a piece of the Olympics. Even Messi has an olympic medal.

The SA win against Argentina wasnt in the rugby championship. It was a week after the tournament ended.
Ah OK, I didn't know that that was not part of the Rugby Championship. Since the All Blacks played Wallabies in the same week for the Bledisloe Cup decider, I thought it was part of the Rugby Championship.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
amazing.. Rugby in general seems to be played by very decent people
As they say, rugby's a thug's game played by gentlemen and football's a gentleman's game played by thugs.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Part of me wishes Scotland had held on to beat Australia, or that Argentina beat Australia last week, or that South Africa had beaten New Zealand and then maybe beaten Australia in the final. Or maybe that England had won the whole thing. Seeing a team you hate win something sucks, when they beat you in the process it's worse, when they eat you in the final, it's downright sickening. Even the day after it's hard to swallow. Four years to get back to a final and it's a long way away.

I hope yesterday hurt for the Wallabies and hurt bad. You may never get back to a World Cup final. You get over these things eventually, but you never forget how you felt when that moment came when you realised the goal you'd been aiming for is gone for another four years. I hope it spurs the Wallabies on to never feel how they felt yesterday ever again.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Part of me wishes Scotland had held on to beat Australia, or that Argentina beat Australia last week, or that South Africa had beaten New Zealand and then maybe beaten Australia in the final. Or maybe that England had won the whole thing. Seeing a team you hate win something sucks, when they beat you in the process it's worse, when they eat you in the final, it's downright sickening. Even the day after it's hard to swallow. Four years to get back to a final and it's a long way away.

I hope yesterday hurt for the Wallabies and hurt bad. You may never get back to a World Cup final. You get over these things eventually, but you never forget how you felt when that moment came when you realised the goal you'd been aiming for is gone for another four years. I hope it spurs the Wallabies on to never feel how they felt yesterday ever again.
Sounds like Ireland and Argentina! :D

K2K

Ah OK, I didn't know that that was not part of the Rugby Championship. Since the All Blacks played Wallabies in the same week for the Bledisloe Cup decider, I thought it was part of the Rugby Championship.
Australia played and won the Rugby championship the week before that. The extra game was for the Bledisloe cup.

Amazingly @Mitchell Nicholas that amazing record of no team ever winning the rugby championship and the world cup in the same year continues.

K2K

This is why world cup's are so painful..four years is an eternity in a rugby career. Some of this players for one reason or another will never get another chance to play in the world cup.

I think you'll be pumped up for the Rugby championship next year, but the key is to peak in 4 years again, thats hard.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia played and won the Rugby championship the week before that. The extra game was for the Bledisloe cup.

Amazingly @Mitchell Nicholas that amazing record of no team ever winning the rugby championship and the world cup in the same year continues.
Australia was the only team that tried in the 2011 Tri Nations, and probably the team the 2015 Rugby Championship meant most to. South Africa didn't give a stuff in 2007 and 2011, New Zealand's unequivocal priority in 2011 was the World Cup. The wallabies looked like they needed to win the 2011 Tri nations and 2015 rugby championship for their own confidence and belief.

K2K

Australia was the only team that tried in the 2011 Tri Nations, and probably the team the 2015 Rugby Championship meant most to. South Africa didn't give a stuff in 2007 and 2011, New Zealand's unequivocal priority in 2011 was the World Cup. The wallabies looked like they needed to win the 2011 Tri nations and 2015 rugby championship for their own confidence and belief.
They should have remembered the hoodoo! Maybe we'll see Argentina win the 2019 edition. What a story that would be.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
They should have remembered the hoodoo! Maybe we'll see Argentina win the 2019 edition. What a story that would be.
Anybody but New Zealand for me. Long way out, but we'll see another all southern hemisphere final four just like this World Cup.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The bitterness in unbelievable. Even the players were relaxed yesterday and showed great camaraderie.
We've all got teams we can't stand or severely dislike and i openly admit to it regarding New Zealand.

air_mood

Accusations of a Pocock stamp on Richie McCaw. Great player though Pocock. My inspiration in terms of knee injuries recovery, dude recovered from 2 major surgeries. I had one and my knees has been screwed for 2 years now.

air_mood

We've all got teams we can't stand or severely dislike and i openly admit to it regarding New Zealand.
Have fun, it's going to be a painful one I reckon. All Blacks doesn't look like they're going to go down any time soon. All the players leaving the All Blacks scene, plenty of ready made, quality replacements waiting in the wings.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Prepared to be accused of bias, but I think Pocock was very unlucky not to win player of the year. Craig Joubert unlcuky to win ref of the year too :lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Prepared to be accused of bias, but I think Pocock was very unlucky not to win player of the year. Craig Joubert unlcuky to win ref of the year too :lol:
Carter had 3 very good games at the WC and a couple of average ones. Before that he really hadnt done much of note. Pocock was more consistent all year and a major player all year, he should have won it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Carter had 3 very good games at the WC and a couple of average ones. Before that he really hadnt done much of note. Pocock was more consistent all year and a major player all year, he should have won it.
Carter's performances in the business end of the competition probably won him the award. Cheika winning coach of the year probably caused consternation in New Zealand.

air_mood

I'm guessing it's the WC argument again. But yeah, agree Carter hasn't really done anything of note apart from RWC. Crusaders were poor this season in Super Rugby. Even then, he was being pipped by Colin Slade for fly-half and played outside centre.

Milner-Skudder had a great year throughout as well.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Is there anyone in Rugby who's commonly regarded as the best player of all time or even of their generation? O is it too team reliant to ever really have one stand out player?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is there anyone in Rugby who's commonly regarded as the best player of all time or even of their generation? O is it too team reliant to ever really have one stand out player?
How do we define ''generation?''

Kopral Jono

I'll go as far to say that I can't really remember the last time I thoroughly enjoyed a major sporting tournament from start to finish as much as I did on this year's edition of the Rugby World Cup. France '98 or maybe Euro 2000 was the last time of that happening.

I was lucky enough to catch both semifinals at Twickenham too which were amazing occasions. Top level test rugby is brilliant.